zeesh_ali110

Status of Women in Shia Islam

Rate this topic

:bismillah:

Salam everyone I have a question on the status of women in shia islam (Shia Ahadith books and Ahlulbayt books), I have heard some narrations related to Imam Ali that he said that women are dumb or something like that which I think he would never say. And there was a whole book which really degraded the women by using some ahadith of Imam Ali (a.s) like a girl should not raise her voice on his husband and should never object him.

HAVE ANYONE OF YOU HEARD OF THIS, WHAT IS THE AUTHENTICITY OF THESE AHADITHS/ NARRATIONS ?

Ws,

The hadiths you have mentioned need to be taken into context, when for example Imam Ali (as) refereed to a woman as being like a scorpion, he didn't mean all women kind but it made sense to the time he was saying that.

Women is Islam have an incredible status, I believe it was Ayatullah Khameini (may Allah bless his soul) who said if women had no rights or importance in Islam than Allah (swt) would never have put the lineage of the 12 Imams through Sayyeda Fatima Zahra (sa). 

1 minute ago, zainabamy said:

Ws,

The hadiths you have mentioned need to be taken into context, when for example Imam Ali (as) refereed to a woman as being like a scorpion, he didn't mean all women kind but it made sense to the time he was saying that.

Women is Islam have an incredible status, I believe it was Ayatullah Khameini (may Allah bless his soul) who said if women had no rights or importance in Islam than Allah (swt) would never have put the lineage of the 12 Imams through Sayyeda Fatima Zahra (sa). 

Yeah well said. I have never read any of that hadith and not even the book i have just heard about it from some people who just want to degrade women.

15 minutes ago, zeesh_ali110 said:

:bismillah:

Salam everyone I have a question on the status of women in shia islam (Shia Ahadith books and Ahlulbayt books), I have heard some narrations related to Imam Ali that he said that women are dumb or something like that which I think he would never say. And there was a whole book which really degraded the women by using some ahadith of Imam Ali (a.s) like a girl should not raise her voice on his husband and should never object him.

HAVE ANYONE OF YOU HEARD OF THIS, WHAT IS THE AUTHENTICITY OF THESE AHADITHS/ NARRATIONS ?

That was about a very specific woman. You can guess who.

The narration is attributed to Imam Ali عليه السلام by Shareef al-Radhee. It is possible that it was in reference to the general mentality of the women of that time who gave in emotionally to claims made by Aisha (Who promoted her views as 'mother of all believers') and Mu'awiya (who placed the bloodstained clothes of Uthman in the Damascus mosque demanding justice).

1 hour ago, zeesh_ali110 said:

women are dumb or something like that which I think he would never say

No he didn't say that. ناقصات العقل doesn't mean stupid it means not using reason as much as they should instead of relying on emotions.

Edited by Ozzy

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The narration is attributed to Imam Ali عليه السلام by Shareef al-Radhee. It is possible that it was in reference to the general mentality of the women of that time who gave in emotionally to claims made by Aisha (Who promoted her views as 'mother of all believers') and Mu'awiya (who placed the bloodstained clothes of Uthman in the Damascus mosque demanding justice).

I think this is a very important point. Do we have any chain of authorities whereby we can know the authenticity of this statement? Is it possible, that, perhaps, such words were never uttered by amirul'mumineen a.s?

The gap between Shareef Al Radhee and Imam Ali a.s is around 300 years, and so, it would be ideal to find some sort of primary source for this statement.

Edited by uponthesunnah

1 minute ago, uponthesunnah said:

Is it possible, that, perhaps, such words were never uttered by amirul'mumineen a.s?

The narration is from both sunni and shia sources. Sometimes things are said in a context which obviously gets circulated out of context. Rather, a lot of gossip IS true! except it's out of context, so a sign of something having been truly said is that it is out of context, we see it in the media all the time! If everything was classified as fabricated simply because it looks strange from the outset, we may not have anything left...

8 minutes ago, uponthesunnah said:

The gap between Shareef Al Radhee and Imam Ali a.s is around 300 years

This would be all the more reason not to quote something that was unreliable. The fact that he includes it shows that he believed it was reliable. The same words are found with other Imams عليهم السلام and other muhadditheen too. In Sunni literature, it is attribute to Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وآله himself.

Men have selecting hearing anyway, with a few words like that they would love to run with them! :grin:

Edited by Ozzy

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

This would be all the more reason not to quote something that was unreliable. The fact that he includes it shows that he believed it was reliable. The same words are found with other Imams عليهم السلام and other muhadditheen too. In Sunni literature, it is attribute to Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وآله himself.

Men have selecting hearing anyway, with a few words like that they would love to run with them! :grin:

JazakAllah khayr, very enlightening explanations brother, thank you for helping me deal with my ignorance.

1 minute ago, uponthesunnah said:

JazakAllah khayr, very enlightening explanations brother, thank you for helping me deal with my ignorance.

زادك الله علما وبركة :cuddle:

Edited by Ozzy

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

So what is the overall answer, are these narrations true or false ??