Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
It's me hello

High School Is A Prison

Recommended Posts

I am currently in 10th grade, attending a high school in Houston. I have to tell you, that I absolutely hate that place with a burning, fiery passion. I'm forced to go into this hellhole EVERY single day of my childhood, (excluding holidays and the weekends) knowing that there is a WORLD to explore. I will give you all some points as to why I HATE school; but before that, I will give some background info.

 

So back in my early childhood, I was a great student. I had all A's on all my tests and quizzes and I never did my homework, and I still don't. It came to a point where the classes were so mind-numbingly BORING that I began to halt my focus in class, instead I started to read books and self-teach. Of course, my sleep was messed up because of this, and I continued to read, constantly till about 3 AM. Keep in mind I was in like grades 4-7. My grades began to wane, and my parents seriously emphasized my "education". I was constantly being told that if I don't go to college, I will be homeless, or working at McDonald's my entire life. I honestly now am at the point of wanting to drop out.

Now here are the reasons

1.) "School" is like a prison, if not WORSE. Helpless, clueless kids are thrown into the cesspool called "School" where there individuality is suppressed, and does anything in its power to keep you from doing anything "bad".  For example, not doing your homework. When you think about childhood, you should be thinking like things about curiosity and exploration, and most of all, FUN! All of this goes away when you go to school, and you are quick to realize that, YOU MUST obey, or there will be serious consequences, just like prison. 

Peter Gray Ph.D. Puts this in prospective 

Quote

The only difference I can think of is that to get into prison you have to commit a crime, but they put you in school just because of your age. In other respects school and prison are the same. In both places you are stripped of your freedom and dignity. You are told exactly what you must do, and you are punished for failing to comply. Actually, in school you must spend more time doing exactly what you are told to do than is true in adult prisons, so in that sense school is worse than prison.

In my opinion, this could not be expressed any better.

 

2.) The people here are just FLAT OUT stupid and immature. I have to point out that there are some smart people in schools, but not many. From my personal experience, most of these people that are "Valedictorians" are just "hard-workers", meaning that they have little to no intelligence, rather they know how to OBEY and REGURGITATE useless info on a test/quiz. A lot of these people are stuck up, and expect you to respect them, just because they have a higher number on a piece of paper that will be irrelevant once they graduate. People that I know that make the top ten percent, usually have a lot of stress at such a young age, AND they have little to no free time. They also have no concept of the real world, and if you ask a political question, they probably don't know what subject you are talking about, because that is how disconnected they are from the real world.

 

3.) The classes suck. They just FLAT OUT SUCK. Why make us take SO many worthless classes, that we will forget the info within a span of ONE SEMESTER. It's completely redundant. I constantly see kids piled up with stacks of homework that are just repetitive menial tasks, they just FLAT OUT destroy the youth that we should all be cherishing. Instead of going to school for 8 hours, then coming back home to spend another 3-5 hours finishing homework; (which is just work that should have been done in the 8 hours that you had already wasted.) We should have self education, or privatization of education. 

 

Because of the immaturity of kids my age, and the stupidity of the U.S. government, I have to suffer another two and a half years of more torture. I honestly believe I could have already learned about economics and accounting and, business all by MYSELF, if I wasn't so worried about my "schooling". I was planning on dropping out, however, there is no way for me to drop out until I'm 18, which makes it redundant. If I could hypothetically drop out, I would immediately enroll in my local community college, or self educate myself in business, or attend a vocational school. I'm living in a horrible world right now that puts you down for being independent, instead of being a sheep. I believe the public schooling system is made to train brainless individuals to never question authority, and work for the corporations.

 

Please someone help me cope with this @$%@ if you have been through this dilemma. If you have any questions or concerns, let me know. I just need to let off this steam I've been keeping for many years.

 

Sorry for the rant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hasanhh said:

^^^^ Hey folks, not exactly the "academic explorer" type is they?

I'm only willing to learn things that are necessary, I don't need to learn the specifics of biology in order to be a productive gear to the economy. (Unless I major in Biology, which is useless anyway)

Edited by It's me hello

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously, you have to train your memory. That is why you regurgitate reams of info. Then when you acquire enough mental mass and then have chosen your career's course of study, you use your memory's capabilities to understand every nuance that exists in your career to build an applicable sense of judgment.

You can also start reading on some of the careers you are getting interested in.

Inshallah, you'll do well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Seriously, you have to train your memory. That is why you regurgitate reams of info. Then when you acquire enough mental mass and then have chosen your career's course of study, you use your memory's capabilities to understand every nuance that exists in your career to build an applicable sense of judgment.

You can also start reading on some of the careers you are getting interested in.

Inshallah, you'll do well.

Why memorize useless things that are only used to get a high mark? It seems completely pointless, and it's a waste of my time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, It's me hello said:

Please someone help me cope with this @$%@ if you have been through this dilemma. If you have any questions or concerns, let me know. I just need to let off this steam I've been keeping for many years.

Education is not just a matter of acquiring a body of useful and relevant knowledge. It's also about understanding how a 'system' works and gaming it so that it works for you.

The system I am referring to is the set of classes/homework/exams that you are facing. Gaming the system involves turning up to classes on time, looking enthusiastic, getting on the right side of the teacher and scoring well in the exams, no matter how useless they may seem.

Now there are some people who don't need to do the latter, they are just so smart. They can skip class, get bad grades and still be very successful.

But there's only a very small percentage of people in that exclusive club, there's a much larger group of people who think they should be in it, but are not good enough.

Do you feel lucky?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask your parents to look into homeschooling. You still have to pass tests to prove you meet standards, but you won't waste time on things you already know so you can put more time into learning things you're actually interested in. 

Alternately, if you have the money for it, find out if any community college in your area allows early admission. I think most high schools will give credit for college courses, though you'll still have to take the standards exams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, It's me hello said:

Why memorize useless things that are only used to get a high mark? It seems completely pointless, and it's a waste of my time.

Wait until you get married.

"This goes there...this goes here...did you remember...?"

Yadda...yaddda...yadda...blah....blah...blah

And you will always get the "low marks" no matter what you did  --or didn't do wrong.

Then you will long for your blissful school days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Education is not just a matter of acquiring a body of useful and relevant knowledge. It's also about understanding how a 'system' works and gaming it so that it works for you.

The system I am referring to is the set of classes/homework/exams that you are facing. Gaming the system involves turning up to classes on time, looking enthusiastic, getting on the right side of the teacher and scoring well in the exams, no matter how useless they may seem.

Now there are some people who don't need to do the latter, they are just so smart. They can skip class, get bad grades and still be very successful.

But there's only a very small percentage of people in that exclusive club, there's a much larger group of people who think they should be in it, but are not good enough.

Do you feel lucky?

Well you obviously don't need to do good in High School in order to be successful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, notme said:

Ask your parents to look into homeschooling. You still have to pass tests to prove you meet standards, but you won't waste time on things you already know so you can put more time into learning things you're actually interested in. 

Alternately, if you have the money for it, find out if any community college in your area allows early admission. I think most high schools will give credit for college courses, though you'll still have to take the standards exams.

I asked my mother, but she will not be able to homeschool me. I was honestly thinking that I could just drop High School and head to the Electrical Engineering route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, certainclarity said:

I feel for you. The current school system will be outdated within 10 years from now!

This is for you:

 

Thank you I love this video now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Darth Vader said:

School is a prison. College is a prison. Workplace is a prison. Marriage is a prison. Child rearing is a prison. Old age and disease are prisons. Life is a prison. :einstein:

Not if you manage yourself well :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, It's me hello said:

Not if you manage yourself well :P

You will never find true happiness in this life, its better you accept the nature of this dunya instead of chasing illusions. 

With regards to learning useless stuff, some would argue that learning the mathematics we learn are beyond what we can later on apply in life and they are right but I am telling you: each new problem you get when your learning mathematics is like a puzzle, and so you learn how to solve puzzles, logical thinking. This will for sure come in handy later in life, not the math but the ability to solve puzzles and think logically.

With regards to learning other useless stuff, like for example the wicca religion... or the molecular structure of CO2... or the history of ancient Greece... etc:

All knowledge is connected to each other in one way or the other, every piece of knowledge is a piece of puzzle that will help you better understand how everything is connected to everything and why and how people do what they do.

You understand how the school system of today is moronic, why not use this understanding to your own benefit? Did you know I once passed a class without attending any lectures nor study? Why? Because I understood how the teacher was thinking and how he would make the test and how I would pass it before it happened. Not because I was lazy but because I had a full time job and another more class that was more demanding at the same time.

Also, hard workers in school with good grades are not always the ones who will be successful after school in the working life. The reason you study (according to society) is so to that you can get a job and the reason you get a job is to get an income. So, greater income equals greater success in that aspect but not all people with great grades become great earners. Think about that as well, its not the hard worker that succeeds, its the smart worker.

Also, if it is true what you are saying and they only give you menial tasks, why dont you study on your own on the side as well? What is exactly stopping you from doing both?

Why dont you for example do your homework during the actual class in school and then come home and study what you really want to study instead of doing homework after school?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, It's me hello said:

I asked my mother, but she will not be able to homeschool me. I was honestly thinking that I could just drop High School and head to the Electrical Engineering route.

If you can get accepted into a program now, take the GED.

American public education really is terrible, but IbnSina makes some very good points. Just make the best of what you have available to you and always strive for better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, It's me hello said:

Well you obviously don't need to do good in High School in order to be successful. 

Some people don't need to do well. 

But if you do well at school not only can you follow the life-paths of those who did not do well, but you have others open to you as well (which they do not).

School allows you to keep your options open. Flunking closes some down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IbnSina said:

You will never find true happiness in this life, its better you accept the nature of this dunya instead of chasing illusions. 

You will never find happiness if you conform to societies standards, especially now that getting a degree most likely ensures you a low paying job for the rest of your life, unless it's within the realms of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)  "MOSTLY" 

 

 Now let me talk about the grades...

I suggest you guys take a look at this, it is pretty interesting. https://www.quora.com/Can-I-drop-out-of-high-school-and-go-to-college

The point of going to college immediately after dropping out is about getting a head start. Getting a high GPA in High School does NOT ensure you a good future, and if I were to go to college right now, I would be trying my butt off to get good grades. If I do manage to get good grades, that will be great, because other colleges are going to offer me scholarships right after I attend a 2-year institution and manage to get a 4.0 at such a young age.

6 hours ago, IbnSina said:

With regards to learning useless stuff, some would argue that learning the mathematics we learn are beyond what we can later on apply in life and they are right but I am telling you: each new problem you get when your learning mathematics is like a puzzle, and so you learn how to solve puzzles, logical thinking. This will for sure come in handy later in life, not the math but the ability to solve puzzles and think logically.

 

I'll tell you this. I used to LOVE MATH, but it is ruined by the most boring, stupid thing ever. Thinking logically does not come from people being forced into a room to learn math, rather logic comes from exploration, and exploration does not occur by force.  It really bores me to think about "learning" anymore. School has destroyed my will to learn, and explore.

6 hours ago, IbnSina said:

All knowledge is connected to each other in one way or the other, every piece of knowledge is a piece of puzzle that will help you better understand how everything is connected to everything and why and how people do what they do.

Yes, all knowledge is connected to each other. BUT, it doesn't matter because most people forget what they learn very fast, because, IT'S NOT PRACTICAL. When you learn something on your own time, in a time which the subject matters to you; you tend to remember things so much better. If you have no care for the subject shoved down your throat, you are most likely going to forget right after you regurgitate it on the final exams. 

9 hours ago, IbnSina said:

Also, hard workers in school with good grades are not always the ones who will be successful after school in the working life. The reason you study (according to society) is so to that you can get a job and the reason you get a job is to get an income. So, greater income equals greater success in that aspect but not all people with great grades become great earners. Think about that as well, its not the hard worker that succeeds, its the smart worker.

Yes, you do have to study to an extent however, the study does not matter for high school. Either I can become an electrician through a vocational school (I might add they make plenty of money) or go to college.

I will most likely start a few businesses on the side to get an easier job for after I start to age, because I don't plan to do blue-collar for my entire life if I do go about the vocational route.

9 hours ago, IbnSina said:

Also, if it is true what you are saying and they only give you menial tasks, why dont you study on your own on the side as well? What is exactly stopping you from doing both?

The thing that is stopping me is the grades. In order to pass I have to get above a 70. Homework counts as 50% of my grade, the homework policy is more like "Quantity over Quality"

It's kinda like when you got in trouble when you are younger. When you did something wrong, you would have to write something on a piece of paper like..."I was wrong" 150 times? It's really easy to write, but it just takes so long to complete, being a complete time waster. 

Also, I'm usually burnt out from school anyway after I come home, so I just nap and then read and play games when I wake up.

 

9 hours ago, IbnSina said:

Why dont you for example do your homework during the actual class in school and then come home and study what you really want to study instead of doing homework after school?

They specifically make homework to be done at home. If you are doing homework at school, you usually get caught, and the teachers get pissed.

 

6 hours ago, notme said:

If you can get accepted into a program now, take the GED.

American public education really is terrible, but IbnSina makes some very good points. Just make the best of what you have available to you and always strive for better.

Yes I was going to apply, however my state laws say that I have to be 18 to drop. Am I still able to somehow drop out if I were to get accepted?

 

I have to go to a debate tournament soon, so I will be back in a while, sorry if this is rushed.

THANK YOU FOR FEEDBACK!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, It's me hello said:

Yes I was going to apply, however my state laws say that I have to be 18 to drop. Am I still able to somehow drop out if I were to get accepted?

You definitely should look into this. In the state where I went to high school, you could drop out at 16 with parent permission. There are almost always exceptions to the rules. I had a few friends who finished early, either to take jobs to help their families, or to move into advanced studies sooner. They didn't suffer any more than the rest of us for not having sat through four years of high school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, notme said:

You definitely should look into this. In the state where I went to high school, you could drop out at 16 with parent permission. There are almost always exceptions to the rules. I had a few friends who finished early, either to take jobs to help their families, or to move into advanced studies sooner. They didn't suffer any more than the rest of us for not having sat through four years of high school. 

I will look further into this, I feel like my guidance counselors will convince my parents to make me stay. I'll do some research, so thank you for the suggestion!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely do your research, probably you would have to be your own lawyer with your parents.

Most people who are concerned with getting a job, have an employee mentality.

Creative people end up creating jobs and doing something innovative.

Employee mentality people are more box minded people, less creative and take less risks, hence are less prone to be business owners, but make great 9-5 employees.

With technology and internet now adays most learning can be done at home, faster, less time wasted, and things done more effectively.

One can almost learn anything they like thru the internet.

A person who is truly passionate about a subject can learn faster thru the net then those who take the longer route of schooling.

Here is an interesting brief video:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/daniel-singer-creates-innovative-social-app-41901792

Some awesome Ted talk:

 

 

Edited by certainclarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, certainclarity said:

Definitely do your research, probably you would have to be your own lawyer with your parents.

Most people who are concerned with getting a job, have an employee mentality.

Creative people end up creating jobs and doing something innovative.

Employee mentality people are more box minded people, less creative and take less risks, hence are less prone to be business owners, but make great 9-5 employees.

With technology and internet now adays most learning can be done at home, faster, less time wasted, and things done more effectively.

One can almost learn anything they like thru the internet.

A person who is truly passionate about a subject can learn faster thru the net then those who take the longer route of schooling.

Here is an interesting brief video:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/daniel-singer-creates-innovative-social-app-41901792

Some awesome Ted talk:

 

 

Thank you for sharing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2016 at 1:19 PM, notme said:

You definitely should look into this. In the state where I went to high school, you could drop out at 16 with parent permission. There are almost always exceptions to the rules. I had a few friends who finished early, either to take jobs to help their families, or to move into advanced studies sooner. They didn't suffer any more than the rest of us for not having sat through four years of high school. 

I'm not too sure how to find the exception for Texas laws. You have any ideas?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, It's me hello said:

I'm not too sure how to find the exception for Texas laws. You have any ideas?

 

Guidance counselor? School board? Law library? I don't know. Hope it all works out for you though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, I think I found the "exception"

It turns out I need to be in a GED preparation course, at the same time I have to have a court order. So I will be trying it in 3 to two weeks.

 

Now the problem is, that my dad thinks I'm lazy because I don't waste my time on homework all day. My parents need to be convinced, I'm not sure how to do it. My parents are so irrational at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...