Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Women are evil?

Rate this topic

• Forum Administrators
9 minutes ago, Kaniz-e-Zaynab said:

Amir a'-mu'minin, peace be upon him, said: Woman is evil, all in all; and the worst of it is that one cannot do without  her

Salam. I think that ^ is mistranslated. I'm sure others have the original Arabic and we can take a look at that and the different interpretations. 

• Forum Administrators

Apparently there is a book about Domestic Violence in Iran and the quote is mentioned in that book with it attributed to Imam Ali AS in Saying 235 of Nahjol-Balagha. However, the online version that I looked at today is Hadith n. 238. The English translation without any interpretation creates misunderstanding. 

Hadith n. 238

238. Amir a'-mu'minin, peace be upon him, said: Woman is evil, all in all; and the worst of it is that one cannot do without her.

238. وقال عليه السلام : الْمَرْأَةُ شَرٌّ كُلُّهَا، وَشَرُّ مَا فِيهَا أَنَّهُ لاَ بُدَّ مِنْهَا.

• Forum Administrators
1 hour ago, E.L King said:

It might be about a certain woman in the past.

Certainly Imam Ali AS was not talking about all women. naoozibillah 

• Advanced Member
Just now, Kaniz-e-Zaynab said:

Salam. 

Can someone please explain this hadith to me, if it's authentic or not. And if yes, what was the context of this narration? 

Amir a'-mu'minin, peace be upon him, said: Woman is evil, all in all; and the worst of it is that one cannot do without  her

Salamun alaykum

This is 238th saying of Nahjulbalagah and the arabic text is,

«الْمَرْأَةُ شَرٌّ کُلُّهَا وَ شَرُّ مَا فِیهَا أَنَّهُ لَا بُدَّ مِنْهَا»

So if we just could translate the Hadith the way mentioned above we wouldn't accept it because it'd contradicted the Quran. Because in many verses of the Quran, God Almighty has considered women and dealing with them as good not evil.

The Quran states: " Consort with them in an honourable manner; and should you dislike them, maybe you dislike something while Allah invests it with an abundant good."[4:19]

or when "Moses watered [their flock] for them(two daughters of Shu‘ayb ). Then he withdrew toward the shade and said, ‘My Lord! I am indeed in need of any good You may send down to me!" and God after that answered Him by causing him to marry with daughter of Shu‘ayb.

If Imam Ali (upon whom be peace) has meant the above translation so we should say He has contradicted the Quran and other fundamental principles of Islam which this idea is not true

But we can translate this narration this way:

if we say Imam Ali stated this narration in special circumstances that we don't know and He has meant by 'evil' a meaning like « inconvenience , trouble or hot potato» and this meaning of the word (al shar) is common even in the Quran. There is a verse that states:

" إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ خُلِقَ هَلُوعًا إِذَا مَسَّهُ الشَّرُّ جَزُوعًا "

"Indeed man has been created covetous.anxious when an ill befalls him"[70:20]

Indeed no one wants to get into trouble and anyone wants to run away from it but Women is on of those troubles that one can not do without it There is a saying in Persian like this: "woman is a calamity and may no house be without it"

Since this proverb is sort of satirical and doesn't offend any anyone, maybe the above narration is similar.

Edited by Alireza Huseini
  • Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Kaniz-e-Zaynab said:

Salam. 

Can someone please explain this hadith to me, if it's authentic or not. And if yes, what was the context of this narration? 

Salamun alaykum.

Some points should be taken into consideration:

1. Although this narration has been quoted in Nahj al-Balaghah, no other Shia collection of Hadith has recorded this narration (Bihar al-Anwar quotes it from Nahj al-Balaghah as well). So there is no chain of narration for this hadith and therefore, it is not an authentic narration. So to begin with, we do not have to justify the content as it is a weak narration.

2. A very similar sentence has been quoted from Ma'mun, the Abbasid Caliph:

النساء شر کلهن، وشر ما فیهن قلة الاستغناء عنهن.

( ابن عبد البر ، بهجة المجالس وأنس المجالس ، القسم الثانی، ص45)

According to some scholars, since Ma'mun used to call himself Amir al-Mu'minin, there is at least the possibility of Sayyid al-Razi making mistakes in quoting from the genuine Amir al-Mu'minin and incorrectly attributing this narration to Imam Ali (AS).

3. The other possibility is that it refers to a CERTAIN woman.

4. Some Salafies, referring to this narration, try to give a bad picture of Shia. It is interesting to know that there are MANY anti-women narrations in Sunni sources. I just share few of them:

-

وقال (رسول الله) : النساء شر کلهن وشر ما فیهن قلة الاستغناء عنهن

الأصفهانی، محاضرات الأدباء ومحاورات الشعرء والبلغاء، ج2، ص239

-

وَسَمِعَ عُمَرُ بْنُ الْخَطَّابِ رَضِیَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ امْرَأَةً تَقُولُ هَذَا الْبَیْتَ : إنَّ النِّسَاءَ رَیَاحِینُ خُلِقْنَ لَکُمْ وَکُلُّکُمْ یَشْتَهِی شَمَّ الرَّیَاحِینِ فَقَالَ رَضِیَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ : إنَّ النِّسَاءَ شَیَاطِینُ خُلِقْنَ لَنَا نَعُوذُ بِاَللَّهِ مِنْ شَرِّ الشَّیَاطِینِ.

ابن حجرالعسقلانی ، فتح الباری شرح صحیح البخاری، ج2 ص223

-

قال صلى الله علیه وسلم: النساء حبائلُ الشیطانِ .

الجاحظ، أ، المحاسن والأضداد ، ج1، ص179

-

قال رسول اللَّهِ صلى الله علیه وسلم إذا قام أحدکم یُصَلِّی فإنه یَسْتُرُهُ إذا کان بین یَدَیْهِ مِثْلُ آخِرَةِ الرَّحْلِ فإذا لم یَکُنْ بین یَدَیْهِ مِثْلُ آخِرَةِ الرَّحْلِ فإنه یَقْطَعُ صَلَاتَهُ الْحِمَارُ وَالْمَرْأَةُ وَالْکَلْبُ الْأَسْوَدُ قلت یا أَبَا ذَرٍّ ما بَالُ الْکَلْبِ الْأَسْوَدِ من الْکَلْبِ الْأَحْمَرِ من الْکَلْبِ الْأَصْفَرِ قال یا بن أَخِی سَأَلْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله علیه وسلم کما سَأَلْتَنِی فقال الْکَلْبُ الْأَسْوَدُ شَیْطَانٌ

صحیح مسلم، ج1، ص365

-

عن رسول اللَّهِ صلى الله علیه وسلم قال إذا صلى أحدکم إلى غَیْرِ سُتْرَةٍ فإنه یَقْطَعُ صَلَاتَهُ الْکَلْبُ وَالْحِمَارُ وَالْخِنْزِیرُ وَالْیَهُودِیُّ وَالْمَجُوسِیُّ وَالْمَرْأَةُ وَیُجْزِئُ عنه إذا مَرُّوا بین یَدَیْهِ على قَذْفَةٍ بِحَجَرٍ .

سنن أبی داود ، ج1، ص187

-

عن جَابِرٍ أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله علیه وسلم رَأَى امْرَأَةً فَأَتَى امْرَأَتَهُ زَیْنَبَ وَهِیَ تَمْعَسُ مَنِیئَةً لها فَقَضَى حَاجَتَهُ ثُمَّ خَرَجَ إلى أَصْحَابِهِ فقال ان الْمَرْأَةَ تُقْبِلُ فی صُورَةِ شَیْطَانٍ وَتُدْبِرُ فی صُورَةِ شَیْطَانٍ فإذا أَبْصَرَ أحدکم امْرَأَةً فَلْیَأْتِ أَهْلَهُ فإن ذلک یَرُدُّ ما فی نَفْسِهِ

صحیح مسلم، ج2، ص1021

-

عَنْ أُسَامَةَ بْنِ زَیْدٍ - رضى الله عنهما - عَنِ النَّبِىِّ - صلى الله علیه وسلم - قَالَ « مَا تَرَکْتُ بَعْدِى فِتْنَةً أَضَرَّ عَلَى الرِّجَالِ مِنَ النِّسَاءِ »

صحیح البخاری، ج5، ص 1959، ح4808

-

أوثق سلاح إبلیس النساء .

عمدة القاری شرح صحیح البخاری، ج20 ، ص 89

The aim is not to claim that our Sunni brothers believe in such narration; rather, the aim is to prove that firstly the mere existence of a narration in Shia collection of hadith does not mean its authenticity and secondly the number of such narrations in Sunni collections is much more.

Edited by amirhosein_88
  • Veteran Member

Perhaps it refers to this narration from the Prophet:

Narrated `Abdullah:
The Prophet (ﷺ) stood up and delivered a sermon, and pointing to `Aisha's house (i.e. eastwards), he said thrice, "Affliction (will appear from) here," and, "from where the side of the Satan's head comes out (i.e. from the East).
Sahih al-Bukhari
Book 57, Hadith 13

• Advanced Member

O mankind! We created you from a single soul, male and female, and made you into nations and tribes, so that you may come to know one another. Truly, the most honored of you in God's sight is the greatest of you in piety. God is All-Knowing, All-Aware 49:13