Islam 101

Traveling To Iran and Iraq

Rate this topic

Salam, I have few question if someone can please help me answer them, It would be very much appreciated. I would like to know if any type of visa is required to travel to Iran and then to Iraq with a USA passport? or from Iraq to Iran? If the person is intended to stay three or more months. What Type of visa and how to apply for the visa? Can a woman travel to those countries alone? Is there any way a woman could live alone permanently in Iran Mashad or Qum? Would people rent a single woman a room or apartment etc? What are some of the ways to live permanently in Iran for someone who have USA passport? Your responses would be very much appreciated! Thanks alot 

Salaam.

It is fairly easy to go to Iraq. You have someone apply from permission from Interior Ministry in Iraq. Once you get the approval, you apply to the closest iraqi embassy/consulate for the visa. If you are going with a group, they do it all for you.

Iran is more tricky. You need approval from Iranian Interior Ministry, then you apply for visa at their mission which is inside the Pakistan Embassy in Washington. Any person on a US passport wanting to visit Iran has to have a Iranian guide with them at all times. You have to pay for the cost of this guide. With groups, the entire group shares the cost of 1-2 guides. If going alone, you would have to pay for the whole thing.

However, I believe there are a different set of rules if you intend to go study in Iran. I am not sure of that process.

3 hours ago, shiaman14 said:

Salaam.

It is fairly easy to go to Iraq. You have someone apply from permission from Interior Ministry in Iraq. Once you get the approval, you apply to the closest iraqi embassy/consulate for the visa. If you are going with a group, they do it all for you.

Iran is more tricky. You need approval from Iranian Interior Ministry, then you apply for visa at their mission which is inside the Pakistan Embassy in Washington. Any person on a US passport wanting to visit Iran has to have a Iranian guide with them at all times. You have to pay for the cost of this guide. With groups, the entire group shares the cost of 1-2 guides. If going alone, you would have to pay for the whole thing.

However, I believe there are a different set of rules if you intend to go study in Iran. I am not sure of that process.

Salam, Thanks so much for the information and your kindness is very much appreciated. Do you by chance have the contact information like web address, email or phone for Interior Ministry in Iraq and Iran and any information on how to apply for permission from Interior Ministry? Once I get a Visa from Iraqi embassy, do you think with this visa I can also visit Iran or I need a different visa from Iran embassy in order to visit Iran? 

If I get some type of document from my home country's embassy, do you think I would still have to get Iranian guide? Because I do not want a guide. 

I do not want to go study in Iran but want to live there permanently. Thanks alot again and I am so sorry for asking too many questions.

18 hours ago, Latifa04 said:

Salam, Thanks so much for the information and your kindness is very much appreciated. Do you by chance have the contact information like web address, email or phone for Interior Ministry in Iraq and Iran and any information on how to apply for permission from Interior Ministry? Once I get a Visa from Iraqi embassy, do you think with this visa I can also visit Iran or I need a different visa from Iran embassy in order to visit Iran? 

If I get some type of document from my home country's embassy, do you think I would still have to get Iranian guide? Because I do not want a guide. 

I do not want to go study in Iran but want to live there permanently. Thanks alot again and I am so sorry for asking too many questions.

For both Iran and Iraq, you can't contact the Ministries directly. You have to go through an intermediary aka agent.

6 hours ago, shiaman14 said:

For both Iran and Iraq, you can't contact the Ministries directly. You have to go through an intermediary aka agent.

Salam, I am so sorry for my ignorance, what do you mean by intermediary? You mean Iraq Embassy in USA? Thanks so much and I appreciate alot your help!

41 minutes ago, Latifa04 said:

Salam, I am so sorry for my ignorance, what do you mean by intermediary? 

Iran used to have an embassy in the US, but after the countries cut ties with each other, the embassy closed. Anyone who needs help with a visa (in order to travel to Iran) must contact the Iranians who have an office inside the Pakistani Embassy in Washington, DC. There is a website where you can read everything, but I'm not sure about the http address. 

Hello,

On 11/5/2016 at 9:44 PM, Latifa04 said:

Salam, I have few question if someone can please help me answer them, It would be very much appreciated. I would like to know if any type of visa is required to travel to Iran and then to Iraq with a USA passport? or from Iraq to Iran? If the person is intended to stay three or more months. What Type of visa and how to apply for the visa? Can a woman travel to those countries alone? Is there any way a woman could live alone permanently in Iran Mashad or Qum? Would people rent a single woman a room or apartment etc? What are some of the ways to live permanently in Iran for someone who have USA passport? Your responses would be very much appreciated! Thanks alot 

If you do not care about the quality of your accommodations, being imprisoned in Iran is a real possibility for those with dual citizenship.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/iran-travel-warning.html

Please make smart choices and stay safe.

All the Best,

David

18 hours ago, Latifa04 said:

Salam, I am so sorry for my ignorance, what do you mean by intermediary? You mean Iraq Embassy in USA? Thanks so much and I appreciate alot your help!

agent who has to get the visa approval from within Iran or Iraq depending on where you are going.