Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Rushd Abbas

Prophet Muhammad[pbuh]'s Funeral

Rate this topic

10 minutes ago, Rushd Abbas said:

How many people attended Rasool's funeral & what are their names??

https://www.al-islam.org/restatement-history-islam-and-muslims-sayyid-ali-ashgar-razwy/death-muhammad-messenger-god#burial-prophet

Burial of the Prophet

The body of the Prophet of Islam was washed on Tuesday. Only six men were present at his funeral service. They were:

Ali ibn Abi Talib

Abbas ibn Abdul Muttalib

Fadhl ibn Abbas

Qathm ibn Abbas

Usama bin Zayd bin Haritha

Aus bin Khuli Ansari

Usama, the general of the expedition to Syria, was in Jorf, still waiting for the companions. Some of them sent word to him that the Prophet was dying, and that he should return to Medina. He returned, and moments later, his master died.

Ali washed the body of the Prophet as Usama poured water. When the body was washed, Ali draped it in a shroud, and prayed for it. He then went out, and told the Muslims who were in the mosque, to go into the chamber and say the funeral prayers. Banu Hashim were the first to offer prayers, and then the Muhajireen and the Ansar carried out this duty.

In Medina, there were two gravediggers. They were Abu Obaida bin al-Jarrah and Abu Talha Zayd bin Sahl. They were summoned but only the latter was available. He came and dug the grave. Ali entered the grave to smooth it out. He then lifted the body from the ground, and gently lowered it into the grave, assisted by his uncle and his cousins. The grave was then covered with earth, and Ali sprinkled water over it.

When Ali and other members of Banu Hashim were busy with the obsequies of the Prophet of Islam, Abu Bakr, Umar, Abu Obaida bin al-Jarrah, and some others were busy in Saqifa staking claims to the caliphate. Abu Bakr, it turned out, was the successful candidate. When he had obtained the pledge of allegiance from the Ansar in Saqifa, he and his friends returned to the Mosque of the Prophet. He then ascended the pulpit of the Prophet to take the same pledge from other people.

On Monday evening and all day on Tuesday, the people were coming to the mosque to take the oath of allegiance to him. Oath-taking was over late on Tuesday night, and it was only on Wednesday that the newly-elected khalifa found some time to turn his attention to his dead master, and to offer the funeral prayer at his grave.

Muhammad, the Messenger of God, the Sovereign of all Muslims, and the greatest Benefactor of Mankind, did not have a state funeral. A handful of men – his close relatives –had given him burial. Many of those who claimed that they were his companions and friends, had forsaken him in the hour of his death. Their absence from his funeral was the most important nonevent of his obsequies.

Ibn Saad says in his Tabqaat that Ali ibn Abi Talib paid all the debts of Muhammad, the Prophet of Islam. He sent a crier around town in Medina, and during the Hajj season, he sent a crier to Makka, to declare that he (Ali) would pay all the debts of Muhammad, and that whoever had any claim, could come to him and collect it. He paid the claimants without asking them any questions and without seeking any proof that Muhammad owed them anything, and this he was doing to the end of his days.

Where was Jabir ibn Abdullah al ansari (radiyallahu anhu) ? Abdullah ibn Masud (radiyallahu anhu) ? Hadrath Bilal (Radilayyahu anhu)? Where was Hasan and Hussain asws ? Where was Abu sa'id Al Khudri (radiyallahu anhu).

What about the adopted son of the prophet s.a.w who went on to be a loyal follower of Imam Ali a.s - Umar ibn Abi Salama (radiyallahu anhu)?

What about Abu dharr (radiyallahu anhu) ? Miqdad (radiyallahu anhu)? Salman al farsi (radiyallahu anhu)?

Zubayr early on also was on the side of Ali ibn Abi Talib , and opposed the caliphat of abu-bakr originally. Where was he ?

What about the matyr, Habib in madhahir (radiyallahu anhu)?

I just don't find it logical that only six men were present, and the rest forsook him.  Unless someone can point me to evidence i.e primary sources, or explain to me as to how on earth the others who we love and revere went missing.

9 minutes ago, uponthesunnah said:

Where was Jabir ibn Abdullah al ansari (radiyallahu anhu) ? Abdullah ibn Masud (radiyallahu anhu) ? Hadrath Bilal (Radilayyahu anhu)? Where was Hasan and Hussain asws ? Where was Abu sa'id Al Khudri (radiyallahu anhu).

What about the adopted son of the prophet s.a.w who went on to be a loyal follower of Imam Ali a.s - Umar ibn Abi Salama (radiyallahu anhu)?

What about Abu dharr (radiyallahu anhu) ? Miqdad (radiyallahu anhu)? Salman al farsi (radiyallahu anhu)?

Zubayr early on also was on the side of Ali ibn Abi Talib , and opposed the caliphat of abu-bakr originally. Where was he ?

I just don't find it logical that only six men were present, and the rest forsook him.  Unless someone can point me to evidence i.e primary sources, or explain to me as to how on earth the others who we love and revere went missing.

There are some hadiths, a few, which talk about how the Ummah apostated except for a few. Then slowly people came back to Islam.

1 minute ago, E.L King said:

There are some hadiths, a few, which talk about how the Ummah apostated except for a few. Then slowly people came back to Islam.

Jabir ibn Abdillah al ansari apostated and was a murtad, before coming back to Islam?

By few, do we mean only three or four? Or few relative to the overall.

Edited by uponthesunnah

28 minutes ago, uponthesunnah said:

Do we have any sources that speak on whether they were present or not?

علي بن إبراهيم، عن أبيه، عن ابن أبي عمير، عن حماد، عن الحلبي، عن أبي عبد الله عليه السلام قال: أتى العباس أمير المؤمنين عليه السلام فقال: يا علي إن الناس قد اجتمعوا أن يدفنوا رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله في بقيع المصلى وأن يؤمهم رجل منهم، فخرج أمير المؤمنين عليه السلام إلى الناس فقال: يا أيها الناس إن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله إمام حيا وميتا وقال: إني ادفن في البقعة التي اقبض فيها، ثم قام على الباب فصلى عليه، ثم أمر الناس عشرة عشرة يصلون عليه ثم يخرجون.

`Ali b. Ibrahim from his father from ibn Abi `Umayr from Hamad from al-Halabi from Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام.

He said: al-`Abbas came to Amir al-Mu’mineen عليه السلام and said: O `Ali, the people have gathered to bury the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله in Baqi`, the prayer place, and a man from them led the prayer. So Amir al-Mu’mineen عليه السلام came out to the people and said: O people, the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله is an Imam, [both] alive and dead. And he said: I will bury him in the place that he passed away in. Then `Ali stood at the door and prayed [the funeral prayer] upon him, then he commanded every ten people to come in and pray upon him and leave. (al-Kafi, Volume 1, hadith 1218)

(hasan kal-sahih) (حسن كالصحيح)

4 hours ago, Rushd Abbas said:

How many people attended Rasool's funeral & what are their names??

As said by Allah:- Prophet s.a.w is nearer to believers than themselves ! So there's nothing to worry about for "muslims/believers" who were not present at that time or this time there. 

Jism ho kahi bhi lekin dil tou hain Madine mai. :)

4 hours ago, Qa'im said:

علي بن إبراهيم، عن أبيه، عن ابن أبي عمير، عن حماد، عن الحلبي، عن أبي عبد الله عليه السلام قال: أتى العباس أمير المؤمنين عليه السلام فقال: يا علي إن الناس قد اجتمعوا أن يدفنوا رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله في بقيع المصلى وأن يؤمهم رجل منهم، فخرج أمير المؤمنين عليه السلام إلى الناس فقال: يا أيها الناس إن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله إمام حيا وميتا وقال: إني ادفن في البقعة التي اقبض فيها، ثم قام على الباب فصلى عليه، ثم أمر الناس عشرة عشرة يصلون عليه ثم يخرجون.

`Ali b. Ibrahim from his father from ibn Abi `Umayr from Hamad from al-Halabi from Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام.

He said: al-`Abbas came to Amir al-Mu’mineen عليه السلام and said: O `Ali, the people have gathered to bury the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله in Baqi`, the prayer place, and a man from them led the prayer. So Amir al-Mu’mineen عليه السلام came out to the people and said: O people, the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله is an Imam, [both] alive and dead. And he said: I will bury him in the place that he passed away in. Then `Ali stood at the door and prayed [the funeral prayer] upon him, then he commanded every ten people to come in and pray upon him and leave. (al-Kafi, Volume 1, hadith 1218)

(hasan kal-sahih) (حسن كالصحيح)

When evidence is presented, alhamdullilah.

So where are we getting the idea only six attended his funeral ?

7 hours ago, uponthesunnah said:

When evidence is presented, alhamdullilah.

My best guess is that six individuals attended the Prophet's body's washing, and that this was occurring during Saqifa. Thereafter, Imam `Ali led multiple funeral prayers over the body. The room that the Prophet was to be buried in probably fit no more than ten people standing shoulder to shoulder, so as ten would finish their prayers, they would leave and ten others would enter.