Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

How to keep tahir ?

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

As salamu aleikoum,

I have a really big, I would say unbearable problem. 

I was born in a muslim family. However, for a little less than three years, I had doubts about Islam. I can confidently say that I wasn't a muslim during that time.

Then, al hamdoulilah, I reverted to Islam. I practiced Islam better than ever for a long time. For a few months however, I realised that I had a serious problem.

Since I do taqlid of Ayatollah Sistani, kuffar are considered najis. Therefore, everything I touched with wetness in my house during those two-three years was rendered najis. 

If I was the only one living there, it wouldn't be hard to clean the whole house. However, we are 6. Therefore, even if I wash myself then clean the whole house, it would be najis again very quickly since other members of my family have touched the same objects that I did when I wasn't a muslim. It means that they themselves became najis and will render najis anything they touch with wetness...

The only solution would be for everyone to clean themselves completly and then wash the whole house !

Please, what should I do ? Does anyone have an idea ?

My prayers and everything will be void because of that.

4 minutes ago, kf2013 said:

Salam. 

do not despair of Allahs mercy

there is a whole section on sayed sistanis website regarding the different way that things become tahir

http://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/

specifically these sections:

Mutahhirat » Introduction
Mutahhirat » Water
Mutahhirat » Earth
Mutahhirat » The sun
Mutahhirat » Transformation (Istihala)
Mutahhirat » Change (Inqilab)
Mutahhirat » Transfer (Intiqal)
Mutahhirat » Islam
Mutahhirat » Subjection (Taba'iyat)
Mutahhirat » Removal of Najisul Ayn
Mutahhirat » Confining (Istibra) of an animal which eats Najasat
Mutahhirat » Disappearance of a Muslim
Mutahhirat » Draining of blood from the slaughtered animal
Mutahhirat » Rules about Utensils

I am no scholar, so please do not take anything I say as a fact, but if you go through the things in your house and apply the rules of mutahirat to them, you should quite easily be able to determine what is still najis and what isnt. for example if utensils have been washed three times since you became muslim, its tahir

• Advanced Member
43 minutes ago, kf2013 said:

As salamu aleikoum,

I have a really big, I would say unbearable problem. 

I was born in a muslim family. However, for a little less than three years, I had doubts about Islam. I can confidently say that I wasn't a muslim during that time.

Then, al hamdoulilah, I reverted to Islam. I practiced Islam better than ever for a long time. For a few months however, I realised that I had a serious problem.

Since I do taqlid of Ayatollah Sistani, kuffar are considered najis. Therefore, everything I touched with wetness in my house during those two-three years was rendered najis. 

If I was the only one living there, it wouldn't be hard to clean the whole house. However, we are 6. Therefore, even if I wash myself then clean the whole house, it would be najis again very quickly since other members of my family have touched the same objects that I did when I wasn't a muslim. It means that they themselves became najis and will render najis anything they touch with wetness...

The only solution would be for everyone to clean themselves completly and then wash the whole house !

The one who doubts his Islam is a Muslim. But if you really did apostate, you would have the same hukm as the category of kuffar you joined.

If you became a Kitabi (Christian, Jew or Zoroastrian), then according to Sayyed Al-Sistani you were tahir.

If you became a Hindu, Buddhist, Atheist, Nasibi, Sikh etc... then you were najis.

• Advanced Member

I would personally double-check, I dont think non-muslims touching things make things najis? I follow Sistani and never heard of this, I know non-muslims are to be tahir and treated as so, polytheists are considered najis. And the only things that cause najasa are stuff like urine, feces, blood, etc.

• Advanced Member
28 minutes ago, HayderM said:

I would personally double-check, I dont think non-muslims touching things make things najis? I follow Sistani and never heard of this, I know non-muslims are to be tahir and treated as so, polytheists are considered najis. And the only things that cause najasa are stuff like urine, feces, blood, etc.

I don't know how you never knew this when it's all over Sayyed Al-Sistani's books. The kafir is a najisul ayn.

Issue 107: * An infidel i.e. a person who does not believe in Allah and His Oneness, is najis. Similarly, Ghulat who believe in any of the holy twelve Imams as God, or that they are incarnations of God, and Khawarij and Nawasib who express enmity towards th e holy Imams, are also najis. And similar is the case of those who deny Prophethood, or any of the necessary laws of Islam, like, Salat and fasting, which are believed by the Muslims as a part of Islam, and which they also know as such.

As regards the people of the Book (i.e. the Jews and the Christians) who do not accept the Prophethood of Prophet Muhammad bin Abdullah (Peace be upon him and his progeny), they are commonly considered najis, but it is not improbable that they are Clean (tahir/pak). However, it is better to avoid them.

Edited by E.L King
  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, E.L King said:

Hmm okay, but Iv'e read alot where you can eat food prepped by non-muslims, spend time with them, befriend them if they dont take you away from Allah etc. Which would indicate they are not najis? 

To me it seems a conflicting story, but I dont want to hijack your thread haha.

All I know is, Allah makes things easy for us. I think you would have a special case scenario, I share houses with non-muslims at University and I wouldnt imagine Allah would punish me for 'invalid' prayers for the last couple years.

• Basic Members

I just remembered something. According to Syed Sistani : 

213. If before an unbeliever becomes a Muslim, his wet dress touched his body, as an obligatory precaution, it should be avoided, regardless of whether it is on his body or not.

Since it is only an obligatory precaution to avoid something a muslim touched with his wet body before his conversion/reversion, I wonder if there is a marja who says that you don't need to avoid it. Does anyone know a marja who says that ? 

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Najasa depends on your status as a murtad; while in this state if you were a Nasibi then you were najis otherwise not.

Are you sure only nasibi are najis ? Because Ay. Sistani says any kafir is najis :

107. An infidel i.e. a person who does not believe in Allah and His Oneness, is najis. Similarly, Ghulat who believe in any of the holy twelve Imams as God, or that they are incarnations of God, and Khawarij and Nawasib who express enmity towards th e holy Imams, are also najis. And similar is the case of those who deny Prophethood, or any of the necessary laws of Islam, like, namaz and fasting, which are believed by the Muslims as a part of Islam, and which they also know as such. As regards the people of the Book (i.e. the Jews and the Christians) who do not accept the Prophethood of Prophet Muhammad bin Abdullah (Peace be upon him and his progeny), they are commonly considered najis, but it is not improbable that they are Pak. Ho wever, it is better to avoid them.

5 hours ago, E.L King said:

The one who doubts his Islam is a Muslim. But if you really did apostate, you would have the same hukm as the category of kuffar you joined.

If you became a Kitabi (Christian, Jew or Zoroastrian), then according to Sayyed Al-Sistani you were tahir.

If you became a Hindu, Buddhist, Atheist, Nasibi, Sikh etc... then you were najis.

Unfortunaly, I remember having red an hadith from an Imam as who said that the one who has doubts about Allah swt is a kafir. Here is it (https://www.al-islam.org/qalbe-saleem-immaculate-conscience-ayatullah-sayyid-abdul-husayn-dastghaib-shirazi/fourth-disease)

In the chapter of Doubt in Usul al-Kafi there is a tradition that Muhammad bin Muslim says, “I was sitting on the left side of Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) and Zurarah on his right. In the meantime Abu Basir arrived.

Abu Basir asked, 'O Aba Abdillah! What do you say regarding a person who doubts about Allah?'

Imam said, 'He is an infidel.'

Muhammad bin Muslim says, “After that Imam turned towards Zurarah and said, 'If he openly denies then he certainly becomes an infidel.'”

In this tradition Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) has said that a person who is apparently a Muslim, but in his heart, he has doubt about Allah and the Prophet, and he dies in this same condition, he will be included among the infidels. And in the latter part of the tradition Imam says that, if that person openly refuses to believe in Allah and the Prophet, he would also be apparently considered an infidel.

But if one has doubt in his heart but he recites the formula of faith verbally, and does not show his doubt, then he will be counted as a Muslim. Though in fact he is an infidel. And one who declares his doubt about Allah and the Prophet, then apparently also he will be considered an infidel. Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) says, “One who doubts about Allah and His Prophet is an infidel.”

Edited by kf2013
Clarity
  • Advanced Member
8 hours ago, HayderM said:

Hmm okay, but Iv'e read alot where you can eat food prepped by non-muslims, spend time with them, befriend them if they dont take you away from Allah etc. Which would indicate they are not najis? 

To me it seems a conflicting story, but I dont want to hijack your thread haha.

All I know is, Allah makes things easy for us. I think you would have a special case scenario, I share houses with non-muslims at University and I wouldnt imagine Allah would punish me for 'invalid' prayers for the last couple years.

Yes, you can eat their food provided their najis wet hands don't make the food najis.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, E.L King said:

Did you deny Allah openly? Or were you having doubts in your heart?

Only in my heart. But I remember having once expressed doubts about the day of reckoning or Hell I don't know which one precisely (I perhaps said something like "maybe it won't happen").