Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
LinkZelda

Proving there is exactly "Twelve" Successors.

Rate this topic

Ibn Ayash Al-Hafeth: Narrated from me Abu Ali Ahmad ibn Mohammad ibn Jaffar Al-Usooli Al-Basiri, narrated from Abdar Rahman ibn Saleh ibn Raeeda narrated from Hussain ibn Hameed ibn Rabee' narrated Al-Hamshi narrated from Mohammad Al-Khalif Al-Taataatari, narrated from Zidaan narrated from Salman:

he said I entered upon the Messenger of God one day so when he looked at me he said "O Salman God doesn't raise a Prophet or a Messenger except he makes for him Twelve Captains". Salman said: "O Messenger of God, I know this from the people of two books", The Messenger of God so then said "O Salman so do you know who are the my Twelve Captains then God chosen as Leaders after me?" He said "God and his Messenger know better", "God created me from his own light so he called me so I obeyed him, then he created Ali from my light, and called him so he obeyed him, from my light and Ali's light he created Fatima, so he called her so she obeyed him, and from my light and the light of Ali, and Fatima he created Al-Hassan and Al-Hussain. And he called them and they obeyed him. So God named us with five names from his names, so God is the Praised (Al-Mahmud) and I am Mohammad (praised),and God is Al-Ali (The Exalted) and this is Ali (exalted), and God is the Originator/Source and this is Fatima (the original nature/the origin/the source) , and God is the owner of goodness (Dul-Ehsan) and this Al-Hassan (The good) and God is the Beautiful/Beautified and this is Hussain (the beautiful). Then God created from us and from the light of Hussain nine leaders so he called them and they obeyed him before God created a vast sky or spread earth or water or wind or a moral, we were in his knowledge lights who glorified him and who listened to him and obeyed him."....

The hadith goes on and one of things stated by the Messenger of God is there is no faith without knowing their names, and he names them all to Salman.

But let us investigate the issue of "Twelve".

The verse the Rasool is obviously alluding to and teaching to Salman Farsi is the verse 5:12.  He is stating this is not only the case for the Moses, but the case for all Prophets.

But what does this mean when the twelve Captains of our Messenger are leaders after him. It would logically follow this refers to leaders after Moses. But how that make sense when they themselves are Prophets? Well it makes sense, because they are a group of 13 men. Each one of them has twelve Captains with him, if they included Moses in that.

That is to say for example, the Twelve Captains with Imam Reda in our nation (who is not a Prophet or Messenger) is Rasool all the way up to Imam Al-Musa A-Kathim + Imam Jewad all the way to Al-Mahdi.

But why does this model make sense?

Let us think of this issue with the religion of God requiring proofs...there can be divisions in Bani-Israel for example of who were Prophets who were not, different numbers of leaders and Prophets they believe in, but this is showing when God took the covenant with Bani-Israel, he assigned and rose over them 12 Captains.

Just as we ourselves would be confused as to what sect is right without a designation from Rasool to the numbers of Imams, it's the same with all nations before.

They all need a number? Now what is wiser on God, what is smarter and more intelligent, to designate different numbers each nation, or to be consistent, and always emphasized that he appointed Twelve Successors to each founding Prophet each nation.

You really think about it, the verse 5:12 is among many things, saying God is consistent and wise, and he appointed exactly Twelve Captains with the covenant of Bani-Israel for a reason. That Moses was followed up by 12 Captains for a reason.

The wisdom of why exactly Twelve is not the subject of this topic, rather, that we know there is wisdom in the number he has picked, and that God would be consistent in the past. That is before Bani-Israel, when he saved believers and founded a nation with a founding Prophet, there would be a follow up of 12 Captains.

Now of course, when we think of it this way, it is obvious the Ulil-Amr are also Twelve.

Additional to Suratal Maeeda, the number Twelve with emphasis of guidance appears else where. For example, in Suratal Araaf, it emphasized that there were a people from Bani-Israel who guided by the truth. One way to see it is that those people were divided into twelve ways, and were grandchildren going back to a single root (ie. they were related by blood through a root grandfather). And the emphasis on twelve springs by Moses from before, with a stone, can be emphasis that each people knew their drinking place (ie. each knew the source of guidance they need to cling to, and the door of God to enter).

In fact, the miracle of Moses, is a sign for all those before him, and final us, those after him. This is why the Quran talks about in that context. That is why it emphasizes it with the light brought down.

Just as Rasool needs to clarify for us, the same is true of Moses. That is the real context of Quran in Suratal Maeeda. And as the theme of suratal Maeeda is primarily surrounded on the event of Ghadeer, we see the talk of Bani-Israel all pertains to guiding our nation, so we don't follow the misguidance with regards to Wilayah of Allah and his chosen ones.

Notice there was no more then 12 Captains risen in Bani-Israel and the verse after talks about the people of Bani-Israel in that current generation, which confirms is was not simply people alive during Moses life time, but for people after.

And this among other proofs in Quran also proves Aeron was the actual successor of Moses. 

8 hours ago, LinkZelda said:

The wisdom of why exactly Twelve is not the subject of this topic, rather, that we know there is wisdom in the number he has picked, and that God would be consistent in the past. That is before Bani-Israel, when he saved believers and founded a nation with a founding Prophet, there would be a follow up of 12 Captains.

Now of course, when we think of it this way, it is obvious the Ulil-Amr are also Twelve.

i just add the following to explain the view about 12 leaders:

And your Lord creates and chooses whom He pleases; to choose is not theirs; glory be to Allah, and exalted be He above what they associate (with Him). 28:68.

[This is] the established way of Allah with those who passed on before; and you will not find in the way of Allah any change. (33:62)

There is no change in the way of Allah swt, thus confirming that we do have 12 leaders ie Ulil Amr like there were 12 leaders in Bani Isreal.

And [mention, O Muhammad], when Abraham was tried by his Lord with commands and he fulfilled them. [ Allah ] said, "Indeed, I will make you a leader for the people." [Abraham] said, "And of my descendants?" [ Allah ] said, "My covenant does not include the wrongdoers." (2:124)

Abraham AS was chosen as Imam. leader  by Allah swt. Quran mentions his status with other chosen representatives of Allah swt in the following verse:

We have indeed revealed to you as We revealed to Noah and the Prophets after him, and [as] We revealed to Abraham and Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, Jesus and Job, Jonah, Aaron, and Solomon—and We gave David the Psalms— (4:163)

The verse mentions exactly 12 names.

And verily We have explained to mankind in this Quran from every example, but refused most (of) the mankind except disbelief. (17:89)

Edited by skamran110

This is exactly it. When reading a normal book of history or fiction, what happens can be spontaneous. However, everything in Quran has relevant purpose to us.  For example, one of the reasons of emphasizing the age of Isa and Yahya was so that our Imams being capable leaders at a young age is not dismissed.

The reason for emphasizing chosen families and offspring, was to emphasize Ahlulbayt (as).

The reason of emphasizing misguiding leaders in Bani-Israel and their scholars, was to emphasize for us not to follow the same tracks of equating clergy with the authority of God and his chosen ones.

There is no just a story of the past, they are all relevant to us, and guidance towards us.

Hello dear friend. Let’s not be prejudiced against Twelvers and read the following points:

Reasoning for the Imamate of the Infallible Imams

Since the Imams are appointed by God, there is a need of rational reasoning to recognize the individuals who are actually imam. For instance, human logic can distinguish between an Imam and other people by witnessing characteristics such as knowledge, justice, courage, sinlessness and so forth in the Imam, and a lack of such characteristics in others. In addition, Quranic verses and authentic traditions also prove the imamate of an individual.

The following are some verses of the Holy Quran and interpretation books which are about the issue of imamate:(divine leadership)

1- [7]«انما انت منذر و لکل قوم هاد», which means, "Your duty is to advise people, and there is a leader for every group."

Shia interpreters and some Sunni ones, including Imam Fakhr Razi, says, "Here the term advisor refers to the Holy Prophet (s) and the leader to Imam Ali (a), since Ibn Abbas said that the Holy Prophet (s) put his hands on his chest and said that he was the advisor, and then pointed to Ali (a) and added «و انت الهادی یا علی...» that means Ali (a) was the leader and shall continue to lead people after the Prophet (s)."[8]

In Al-Durrul-Manthur, one of the famous Sunni commentaries, several interpretations of the above verse are introduced, in which it is written that upon the revelation of this verse, the Holy Prophet (s) put his hand on his chest and said that he was the advisor, and then pointed to Ali (a) and added that Ali was the leader.[9]

Other similar traditions from other theologians can be found in various other sources such as from Hakem Neyshabouri in "Mostadrak", Dhahabi in "Talkhis", Fakhr Razi and Ibn Kathir in their commentaries and Ibn Sabagh Maleki in "Alfusulul-Muhimmah" and Ganji Shafei in "Kifayatul-Taleb", and Tabari in his commentary, and Ibn Hayan Andolosi in "Al-Bahrul-Muhit" and Neyshabouri in his commentary and Hamvini in "Faraed Olsamtin" and as well as many others. To become familiar with the sources of such traditions and their evidences, see the book Ihghagh Olhagh, Vol. 3, pp 88-92.

2- «با ایها الذین آمنوا اتقوا الله و کونوا مع الصادقین[10] Which reads, "O, believers, avoid antagonism (toward God's commands) and be with the loyal people."

Imam Fakhr Razi interpreted the phrase 'loyal people' as meaning infallibles. He also added, "By infallible the verse refers to the whole nation in its entirety."[11] This is while no Arab speaker, at the date of revelation of this verse, was using this phrase to refer to the nation; therefore, such an interpretation does not seem to be valid.

We should accept that in every era, there are loyal people who do not make any mistakes in their deeds and speeches, whom we should follow.

Moreover, many Sunni interpreters have quoted Ibn Abbas as saying that the above-mentioned verse is referring to Imam Ali (a). Allamah Tha'alabi in his book of commentary, Ganji in "Kifayatul-Taleb", Allamah Sibt Jowzi in "Tadhkirah", all interpret this verse as referring to Imam Ali (a) and his household. Ibn Abbas added, "Ali (a) is the most loyal man."[12]

Many other traditions quoted from the members of the prophetic household confirm this same interpretation.[13]

3- «اطیعواالله و اطیعوا الرسول و اولی الامر منکم»,[14] Says: "Obey God and obey the Messenger of God and the Holders of Authority."

Shia interpreters unanimously believe that by the ‘Holders of Authority’, the verse is referring to the Infallible Imams (a).

In addition, the Hanafi Sheikh Soleiman Qanduzi in his book "Yanabi’ul-Mawaddah" quoted the book "Mujahid" as saying that the verse refers to Ali (a) when the Holy Prophet (s) appointed him as his substitute in Madinah when he himself was involved in the Tabuk war.

It is also quoted from Imam Ali (a) as referring to this verse in a debate with the Mohajerin and Ansar, so that they admitted to the legitimacy of his rule.[15]

In “Shawahidul-Tanzil” of Hakem Haskani, a Sunni scholar, the interpretation of the same verse includes a quotation from Imam Ali (a) as saying that he once asked the Holy Prophet (s) about the meaning of “ruler”, to which the Holy Prophet (s) replied, "You are the first of them."

Imamate in Hadiths:

The issue of imamate has been put forth in several traditions from the Holy Prophet (s), hereafter we will refer to some:

1. The Hadith of Thaqalain: This account of the Holy Prophet (s) has been widely repeated in various famous Shia and Sunni books (which are first hand references). These leave no room for doubt about the authenticity of the hadith. The whole of these hadiths show that that prophet has repeated this hadiths on several occasions, which indicates its importance. In Sahih Muslim, one of the six main Sunni books of reference, Zaid Ibn Argham is quoted as saying that: "The Holy Prophet (s) stood up and started delivering a speech in a place where a water well was located called Khom (Ghadir Khom) between Medina and Mecca. He first praised God and then added that he was a human being and his time to leave the world was arriving. He then added that he was going to leave two precious things among his people, first the book of God in which they could find light and guidance, and further encouraged them to take up the book and use it as a guide, and then added that the second thing was the members of his household (the ahlul bait), and commanded that his people should follow them and repeated it three times,[16]indicating that they had to fulfill their duties toward the members of the prophetic household."

Bringing the names of the members of the prophetic household along with the Holy Quran as two precious things, and putting emphasis on it three times, all indicate the close relationship between these two and the fate of the Muslim nation, their guidance and the protection of Islamic principles. Otherwise they wouldn't have been used alongside each other.

The Hadith of Thaqalain has been repeated in many Sunni reference books as well, including Sunan Tirmidhi,[17] Sunan Darami,[18] Musnad of Imam Ahmad[19](one of Four Sunni leaders), as well as Sunan Nisaei,[20] Mustadrakul-Sahihain,[21]Al-Sawa’iqul-Muhriqah,[22] also in Asadul-Ghabah fi Ma’rifatil-Sahabah[23] written by Ibn Athir, and in Ihya’ul-Mayyit[24] of Jalaluddin Suyuti, as well as Sunan Beihaqi,[25] and Almu’jamul-Kabir[26] compiled by Hafiz Tabarani.

Late Mir Hamed Hussein Hendi, in his book Kholasatu Abaqatil-Anwar, lists one hundred and twenty six books containing the same Hadith, with precise reference to the volume and page numbers.[27]

This proves the authenticity and validity of the Hadith of Thaqalain. Moreover, its content and meaning can be detailed as below:

1. The Holy Quran and the members of the Prophetic Household (a) are inseparable, therefore, those who seek the truth shall resort to them in order to achieve happiness.
  2. As it is mandatory for all Muslims to unconditionally follow the instructions of the Holy Quran, it is unconditionally necessary for them to obey the commands of the members of the Prophetic Household as well.
  3. The inseparable relationship between the Holy Quran and the members of the Prophetic Household (a), and the necessity for their unconditional obedience are all evident reasons for their infallibility and amazing characteristics.
  4. The Holy Prophet (s) said, "These two (The Holy Quran and my family) always come together, and someday will join me in paradise." This proves that all throughout the rule of Islam, there has been and will be an individual from the Prophetic Household who acts as an infallible leader. Just like the Holy Book which is the guiding light, they play the same role in directing people, therefore, it's upon us to seek them and to find and follow them in our age.
  5. This Hadith suggests that falling away from the members of the Prophetic Household (a) results in one going astray.
  6. They are the most honorable, knowledgeable and prominent of all people.

Interestingly, "Samhoudi Shafei", a Sunni scholar of 15th century, put a comment on the Hadith of Thaqalain in his book, Jawahirul-Aqdain, and said, "The Hadith indicates that all throughout the history until the end of time, there would be someone who is worthy of being followed and obeyed, as is the Holy Quran itself."[28]

1. The Hadith of Safinah:

This is a famous tradition on the members of the Household of the Prophet and the Infallible Imams which is frequently used in the main Sunni and Shia reference books.

The Hadith has been approved by at least 8 of the Holy Prophet's companions (Abudhar, Abousaeid Khudri, Ibn Abbas, Anas, Abdullah Ibn Zobair, Amer Bin Wathilah, Salmat Ibn Al-Akwa’ and Ali (a)).

The above tradition has also been reflected in tens of famous Sunni books.

Abudhar explains the Hadith this way, "I heard the Holy Prophet (s) to say that the members of his household were similar to Noah’s ark. Whoever boards it shall be saved, and whoever does not shall perish."[29] In Abaqatul-Anwar, the same Hadith has been quoted from 92 books compiled by 92 famous Sunni scholars (with full details).[30]

This authentic hadith contains many important points; some of them are detailed below:

1. After the Holy Prophet (s), a flood of ignorance and depravity swept across the Islamic nation, and eventually destroyed the faith of many people.
  2. In order to escape such risks, there is only one hope. This is the ark of salvation which is composed of the members of the Prophetic Household, and separating from them will surely lead to misery.
  3. What saves us is not just their love, as some Islamic scholars believe, it is rather that the way to salvation passes through obedience to them, which is contrary to separating from them.
  4. The ark of the members of the Prophetic Household will be necessary until the end of time, because the floods of ignorance and depravity will keep threatening us till the end of time.
  5. Unconditional adherence to the members of the Prophetic Household is by itself a reliable proof that in every era there is an Infallible Imam, whom we have to obey in order to achieve salvation.
  6. The Ithna Ashar (twelve) Imams Hadith:

The hadith of the Twelve Imams is also another important hadith, which is present in most Sunni books of reference.

In Sahih Muslim, Jaber Bin Samarah is quoted as saying that, "I heard the Holy Prophet of God (s) say that Islam would continuously be honorable and glorious until twelve caliphs ruled over the Muslim nation. Then he added something that I didn't hear, so I asked my father about the meaning and he informed me that the prophet said all of them would be from the tribe of the Quraish. "[31]

The same Hadith has been narrated in Sahih Bukhari,[32] as well as Sahih Tirmidhi,[33] and Sahih Abi Dawud,[34] and also in the Musnad of Ahmad Ibn Hanbal,[35]etc…

However, as for the content and phrasing of the hadith, there are different narration. Some narrations have the phrase “twelve caliphs (successors)”, others have “twelve amirs” while a third group speak of the guardianship and rule of twelve individuals. However, it is evident that all of them refer to rule and guardianship.

At the same time, in the majority of these traditions that have been passed to us through various ways, the phrase 'all of them would be from the tribe of Quraish’ is present, while in other traditions that 'all of them would be from Bani Hashim' has been mentioned.[36]

Most of these traditions say that the Holy Prophet (s) whispered the last part of his words in a confidential manner, which shows there had been people present who were against the idea that all the Prophet's successors (a) would be from tribe of the Quraish or from the Bani Hashim.

Anyway, the interpretation of this tradition, which is present in reference books and approved by all legitimate Muslim scholars, is totally clear for the followers of the Ahlul-Bayt, that being the the twelve imams. However, followers of other faiths have not been successful in finding a clear interpretation for this tradition, because the first caliphs were four, the Caliphs of Banu Ummayah were 14, and the Bani Abbas Caliphs were thirty seven, none of which corresponds with the twelve mentioned leaders. No cut and paste job or mathematical operation will make these numbers correspond.

Moreover, there are traditions from both Sunni and Shia scholars which contain the name of twelve Imams as believed by the Shias. Some other traditions refer to the name of the first as "Imam Ali" (a) and the last as "Imam Mahdi" (a), while some others refer to the third "Imam Hussain" (a), stating that the Holy Prophet (s) pointed to Imam Hussain (a) and said, "This grandson of mine is an Imam, the offspring of an Imam, the brother of an Imam, and the father of nine other Imams".[37]

Although there are plenty of authentic traditions concerning imamate, this much will suffice for our purpose here.[38]

(7) Surah Ra’ad, Verse 7

[8] Tafsir Kabir, Fakhr Razi, Volume 19, Page 14

[9] Al-Durrul-Manthur, Jalaladdin Suyuti, Volume. 4 Page 45

[10] Surah Bara’at, Verse 119

[11] Commentary of Fakhre Razi, volume 16, Page 221

[12] Ihqaqul-Haqq Volume. 3 Page 297

[13] Commentary of Noor Al Thaqalain Volume 2 Page 280,

[14] Yanabi’ul-Mawaddah, Page 114 – 115 – 116

[15] Shawahidul-Tanzil, Volume 1, Page 148

[16] Sahih Muslim Vol. 4 page 1873

[17] Sunanun Tirmidhi Vol. 5 Page 662

[18] Sunanun Darmi Vol. 2 Page 432 Tabe Dai Al Fekr, Beirut

[19] Musnad Ahmad Vol. 182 Chap Dar Al Sadr, Beirut

[20] Khasayis Nasaei Page 2

[21] Mustadrakul-Sahihain Vol. 3 Page 109

[22] Al-Sawa’iqul-Muhriqah, Page 226 , Tabe Abd Al Latif, Egypt

[23] Asadul-Ghabah fi Ma’rifatil-Sahabah, Vol 3 Page 47

[24] Ihya’ul-Mayyit, which is published in the border of Al Etehaaf page 116

[25] Sunan Beihaghi Vol. 10 Page 114

[26] Al Mojam Al Kabir Page 137

[27] Abaqatul-Anwar summary Vol. 2 page 105

[28] Abaqatul-Anwar summary Vol. 2 page 285

[29] Al Mojam Alkabir and Al mojam Al saghir Page 78, Delhi publication Oyoon Al akhbar Dinvari Vol. 1 page 212 (Egyptian publication) Mostadrak, Neishabouri ruler Vol. 3 page 150, Mizan Al etedal Zahbi Volume. 1 page 224 Tarikh Al kholafa Siouti page 573

[30] Abaqat summary vol. 2 page 195 – 126

[31] Sahih Muslim, Volume. 3, page 1453, Tabe Beirut dar Al ehya Al taras Al arabi

[32] Sahih Bukhari vol. 3 ninth part, page 101

[33] Sahih Tirmidhi, vol. 4 page 501 Tabe Dar Al ehya Al Taras Alarabi, Beirut

[34] Sahih Abi Dawud, vol. 4

[35] Refer to Montakhabul-Athar, page 12 and Ihqaqul-Haqq, vol. 13

[36] Yanabi’ul-Mawaddah, page 445 chapter 77

[37] Kashful-Murad, page 314 (Qom Mostafavi publication)

[38] This answer has been prepared according to the interpretation of the Quran’s message, Vol. 9 (Imamate, Leadership,

http://www.islamportal.net/question/why-do-shias-believe-imams-and-their-imamate‎

Salam

If we read everywhere there is mention Twelve it has to do with the upright religion and the covenant of Bani-Israel and the door they were meant to enter by.

The twelve rivers are emphasizing that we must not mix with our pure source of drink others who will pollute our water. In other words this miracle like the mountain being risen over them was symbolic of the path their nation had to tread.

In case of the Twelve Months and upright religion it's a contrast to the corrupt priests and Rabbis, and in context is saying: "There is but Twelve representatives of the Messenger", no one else is to take on this role of taking his place and representing his light, but the Twelve. It's similar to "You Wali is only..." and the Ulil-Amr verse in contrast to the Jibt and Taghut and "do they have share in the authority...".

All praise to God who guided us to this and we would not be guided to it were it not for God guiding us to it.

The only valid argument that might be used for the Twelve Imams is the hadith of the twelve successors. Everything else you stated is baseless numerology. You can't expect people to take this as proof if it doesn't say anything about twelve people who are the successors of the prophet (pbuh)

On 10/29/2016 at 1:05 AM, skyweb1987 said:

There is no change in the way of Allah swt, thus confirming that we do have 12 leaders ie Ulil Amr like there were 12 leaders in Bani Isreal.

On 10/29/2016 at 1:05 AM, skyweb1987 said:

We have indeed revealed to you as We revealed to Noah and the Prophets after him, and [as] We revealed to Abraham and Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, Jesus and Job, Jonah, Aaron, and Solomon—and We gave David the Psalms— (4:163)

The verse mentions exactly 12 names.

Assalam o Alaikum.

Who were the 12 leaders of bani israel? Are the ones who are mentioned in above verse?

If not then plz can you share their names in the succeeding order?

On 1/7/2017 at 10:45 PM, Fahad Sani said:

Assalam o Alaikum.

Who were the 12 leaders of bani israel? Are the ones who are mentioned in above verse?

If not then plz can you share their names in the succeeding order?

My post is written in response to OP and its intent is quite obvious.

You are trying to draw  irrelevant assumptions.  

For the names of 12 leaders in bani israel just google them.

Wasalam

On 28/10/2016 at 7:49 PM, LinkZelda said:

Ibn Ayash Al-Hafeth: Narrated from me Abu Ali Ahmad ibn Mohammad ibn Jaffar Al-Usooli Al-Basiri, narrated from Abdar Rahman ibn Saleh ibn Raeeda narrated from Hussain ibn Hameed ibn Rabee' narrated Al-Hamshi narrated from Mohammad Al-Khalif Al-Taataatari, narrated from Zidaan narrated from Salman:

he said I entered upon the Messenger of God one day so when he looked at me he said "O Salman God doesn't raise a Prophet or a Messenger except he makes for him Twelve Captains". Salman said: "O Messenger of God, I know this from the people of two books", The Messenger of God so then said "O Salman so do you know who are the my Twelve Captains then God chosen as Leaders after me?" He said "God and his Messenger know better", "God created me from his own light so he called me so I obeyed him, then he created Ali from my light, and called him so he obeyed him, from my light and Ali's light he created Fatima, so he called her so she obeyed him, and from my light and the light of Ali, and Fatima he created Al-Hassan and Al-Hussain. And he called them and they obeyed him. So God named us with five names from his names, so God is the Praised (Al-Mahmud) and I am Mohammad (praised),and God is Al-Ali (The Exalted) and this is Ali (exalted), and God is the Originator/Source and this is Fatima (the original nature/the origin/the source) , and God is the owner of goodness (Dul-Ehsan) and this Al-Hassan (The good) and God is the Beautiful/Beautified and this is Hussain (the beautiful). Then God created from us and from the light of Hussain nine leaders so he called them and they obeyed him before God created a vast sky or spread earth or water or wind or a moral, we were in his knowledge lights who glorified him and who listened to him and obeyed him."....

The hadith goes on and one of things stated by the Messenger of God is there is no faith without knowing their names, and he names them all to Salman.

But let us investigate the issue of "Twelve".

The verse the Rasool is obviously alluding to and teaching to Salman Farsi is the verse 5:12.  He is stating this is not only the case for the Moses, but the case for all Prophets.

But what does this mean when the twelve Captains of our Messenger are leaders after him. It would logically follow this refers to leaders after Moses. But how that make sense when they themselves are Prophets? Well it makes sense, because they are a group of 13 men. Each one of them has twelve Captains with him, if they included Moses in that.

That is to say for example, the Twelve Captains with Imam Reda in our nation (who is not a Prophet or Messenger) is Rasool all the way up to Imam Al-Musa A-Kathim + Imam Jewad all the way to Al-Mahdi.

But why does this model make sense?

Let us think of this issue with the religion of God requiring proofs...there can be divisions in Bani-Israel for example of who were Prophets who were not, different numbers of leaders and Prophets they believe in, but this is showing when God took the covenant with Bani-Israel, he assigned and rose over them 12 Captains.

Just as we ourselves would be confused as to what sect is right without a designation from Rasool to the numbers of Imams, it's the same with all nations before.

They all need a number? Now what is wiser on God, what is smarter and more intelligent, to designate different numbers each nation, or to be consistent, and always emphasized that he appointed Twelve Successors to each founding Prophet each nation.

You really think about it, the verse 5:12 is among many things, saying God is consistent and wise, and he appointed exactly Twelve Captains with the covenant of Bani-Israel for a reason. That Moses was followed up by 12 Captains for a reason.

Additional to Suratal Maeeda, the number Twelve with emphasis of guidance appears else where. For example, in Suratal Araaf, it emphasized that there were a people from Bani-Israel who guided by the truth. One way to see it is that those people were divided into twelve ways, and were grandchildren going back to a single root (ie. they were related by blood through a root grandfather). And the emphasis on twelve springs by Moses from before, with a stone, can be emphasis that each people knew their drinking place (ie. each knew the source of guidance they need to cling to, and the door of God to enter).

In fact, the miracle of Moses, is a sign for all those before him, and final us, those after him. This is why the Quran talks about in that context. That is why it emphasizes it with the light brought down.

Just as Rasool needs to clarify for us, the same is true of Moses. That is the real context of Quran in Suratal Maeeda. And as the theme of suratal Maeeda is primarily surrounded on the event of Ghadeer, we see the talk of Bani-Israel all pertains to guiding our nation, so we don't follow the misguidance with regards to Wilayah of Allah and his chosen ones.

Notice there was no more then 12 Captains risen in Bani-Israel and the verse after talks about the people of Bani-Israel in that current generation, which confirms is was not simply people alive during Moses life time, but for people after.

And this among other proofs in Quran also proves Aeron was the actual successor of Moses. 

And to prove who these were?

1. Proof of Imamate concept and proof of number of successors

he said I entered upon the Messenger of God one day so when he looked at me he said "O Salman God doesn't raise a Prophet or a Messenger except he makes for him Twelve Captains". Salman said: "O Messenger of God, I know this from the people of two books", The Messenger of God so then said "O Salman so do you know who are the my Twelve Captains then God chosen as Leaders after me?" He said "God and his Messenger know better", "God created me from his own light so he called me so I obeyed him, then he created Ali from my light, and called him so he obeyed him, from my light and Ali's light he created Fatima, so he called her so she obeyed him, and from my light and the light of Ali, and Fatima he created Al-Hassan and Al-Hussain. And he called them and they obeyed him. So God named us with five names from his names, so God is the Praised (Al-Mahmud) and I am Mohammad (praised),and God is Al-Ali (The Exalted) and this is Ali (exalted), and God is the Originator/Source and this is Fatima (the original nature/the origin/the source) , and God is the owner of goodness (Dul-Ehsan) and this Al-Hassan (The good) and God is the Beautiful/Beautified and this is Hussain (the beautiful). Then God created from us and from the light of Hussain nine leaders so he called them and they obeyed him before God created a vast sky or spread earth or water or wind or a moral, we were in his knowledge lights who glorified him and who listened to him and obeyed him."

This proves that Muslims have 12 Imams (captains) and the first three, undisputed among Ismaili, Twelver and Zaidi, Imams.

But what about after them?

Ikmal ad-Din wa Itmam an-Ni'ma

Jabir ibn Abdullah al-Ansari asked the Messenger of Allah (ص) saying, "O Messenger of Allah, who are the Imams from the descendats of Ali ibn Abu Talib (ﻉ)?" He (ﻉ) answered: "Al-Hassan, al-Husayn, masters of the youths of Paradise, then the master of the forbearing of his time, Ali ibn al-Husayn, then al-Baqir Muhammad ibn Ali, and, O Jabir! You shall live to see him! So when you do, convey my Salam to him."

So now we know Imams 1-5, and we know Zaidi belief has been refuted. So what makes Imam Sadegh (as) Imam?

Well, there are many stories attributed to him showing his intelligence and his capability to be Imam. There are no "branches" of Islam who dispute this, meaning the fifth Imam gave some obvious proof to his followers. Here is where the split comes in. How do we know the successors to Imam Sadegh (as) are not Ismail bin Jafar or Abdullah al Aftah? This was hard to answer.

Sharif al Qarashi Page 129

The Imam (Musa Kazim (as)) then headed for the mosque of the prophet, where he saw that the man was already sitting there. When he saw the Imam, the man stood up and called out the verse: "Allah knows best where to put his (prophetic) mission."[e] His companions were surprised at this change, but the man recited to them the noble deeds of the Imam and invoked Allah for him. Hence, the Imam turned to his companions and said: "Which was better – what you wanted or what I wanted? I have put right his attitude to the extent you have now become acquainted with."

So if Imamate was not for him, would he not have refuted that verse? No, he did not stop the man meaning the light of the Prophet (saw) mentioned in the first hadith was passed onto him.

Luckily, there is very clear proof for the successorship of Ali al Reza (as)

Uyun Akhbar al Reza Volume 1 Page 26

Shaykh Saduq (ra) narrarated his father (ra) - narrated that Al-Hassan ibn Abdullah ibn Muhammad ibn Isa
quoted on the authority of his father, on the authority of Al-Hassan ibn
Musa al-Khashshab, on the authority of Muhammad ibn al-Asbaq, on
the authority of Ahmad ibn Al-Hassan al-Maysami - who was one of
the Waqifites [23] quoted on the authority of Muhammad ibn Isma’il ibn
Al-Fadhl al-Hashemi,

“I went to see Imam Musa Al-Kazim (s) when he was seriously ill. I asked him: If God forbid something should happen to
you, whom should we follow? He said, “Follow my son Ali (Imam al-
Reza). His writing is my writing. He is my Testamentary Trustee, and
my successor after me.”

Now for the last four Imams and proof that the Mahdi is the Twelfth Imam.

Kamal ad Deen

Ahmad b. Ziyad b. Ja`far al-Hamadani رضي الله عنه narrated. He said: `Ali b. Ibrahim narrated from his father from Rayyan b. as-Salet.
He said: I said to ar-Rida عليه السلام: Are you the Patron of this Affair? He said: I am the Patron of this Affair, however I am not the one who will fill the Earth with justice as it would have been fraught with tyranny and oppression. And how can I be that person when you can see that I am physically weak? Whereas the Qa’im is the one who at the time of his appearance will be a senior in his age but have the form of a youth; he will have a body so strong, that if he were to take hold of the greatest tree on the face of the Earth, he would uproot it, and if he were to shout between the mountains, their stones would tumble. He will have the staff of Musa and the ring of Sulayman.4 He is my fourth descendent, and Allah will keep him in occultation as long as He dictates; then He will reveal him so that he may fill the Earth with justice equity as it would be fraught with injustice and oppression.

So we can see that the doctrine of there being twelve Imams is true and fully supported by all narrations