Rate this topic

So I started this topic just to share some sunnats I have learned with others. I'll post one per day, and since I'm not a mujtahid I'll be adding my sources so you can check. Feel free to share whatever you know. I'll start with the first sunnat of the day:

Zikr when waking up and going to sleep. In Allamah Seyed Tabatabai's book "Prayers of the last Prophet," it reads on page 107 that al Qutb al Rawandi narrarated that Imam Zain Abideen  (peace be upon him) was in Yazid's palace, and Yazid was questioning him finding a reason to kill him. The Imam, while being questioned, was moving prayer beads in his hand. Yazid asked him why he wasn't looking at him. The Imam (peace be upon him) said:(interpretation of the meaning) that his father had told him that his grand father, the Prophet Muhammad (peace and the blessings of Allah be upon him), would say "O Allah, I start my day glorifying you as many times as I count on my prayer beads." and would say a similar thing before bed.

Tips: Say phrases that will benefit you most in the next life like salawat or tasbih e Fatimah.

Ghural al Hikam no. 3152

Imam Ali (peace be upon him) said: "The man with the best opinion does not write off the need for an opinion from someone else."

Always make sure you have heard two sides of the story before making a decision. Debating is OK, but be respectful because we are all gaining knowledge and Imam Reza (alaihe salam) said: "Intelligence is your best friend and ignorance is your worst enemy." (Kitab al Kafi Volume 1 Chapter 1 Hadith #4)

Night Prayer

Quran 73:1-2

O thou folded in garments. Stand to prayer in the night, but not all.

This shows that the night prayer is clearly mustahab. It is also reported in many hadith that the Prophet (sallallahualaihe wasallam ) would perform it regularily. 

The Prophet (sallalahu alaihe wasallam) said: "You must get up for the night prayer, for verily it was the practoce of the righteous before you."

Kanz al Ummal #21428

The number of rakats, according to most scholars, is 11 rakats. 4 2 rakat cycles tajjahud, 2 rakat shafi and 1 rakat witr. It is best to do it close to fajr, but aanytime after maghribisha is allowed according to Ayatollah Reza Hosseini Nassab.