Rate this topic

I know salafis have this belief but do all Sunnis believe that the Sahaba, Tabiun and Tabi Al-Tabiun were the best generations of Islam?

If a generation is 25 years, then this would mean the first 50 years after the Prophet was Islam's best generation. Do you agree?

The first 50 years also saw:

• Murder of Hz Fatima Zahra (as)
  • Persecution of several prominent sahaba
  • The revolt and sedition of Jamal
  • The revolt and sedition of Siffin
  • The revolt and sedition of Khawarij
  • Murder of Imam Ali (as)
  • Murder of Imam Hassan (as)
  • Murder of Imam Hussain (as) and his companions
  • Persecution of AhlulBayt

Islam's golden era? I think not.

@shiaman14 Don't forget brother about the murder of many sahabas and rape of women in madina and the damage to the kaba all within a short time after Karbala by yazid's army. Also don't forget the unflinching loyalty of ibn umar to yazid as mentioned in bukhari . If this was the golden generation , then I wonder what the worst period would be ? 

Edited by goldenhawk

Salam,

I remember my first undergraduate essay at university was on whether or not the period of the Rashidun Caliphate can be called a "Golden Age". The question was phrased in such a way that it wanted the candidate to argue against such a delusive notion. Many of the academics in the department, including the gentleman who marked my work, were in agreement that it's a fantastical belief, adopted by hardcore Sunnis (who will dismiss any evidence pointing towards this era being one of social anarchy and unprecedented political dissent if A'isha and 'Umar are mentioned in the same sentence).

The point is that the "Golden Age" is a view that isn't really taken seriously by any proper non-Muslim Western academic (that I know of), especially when these questions are formulated in such a way. 

It is not entirely true that Sunnis believe the first 3 generations were the best of people. The above mentioned incidents are also recorded by sunni historians.

This is why they have Jarh wat-Ta'deel of the salaf; the reliablity of the conclusions are subjective. When referring to 'Ahl Sunnah' one must be very specific as to which scholars of this sect they are talking about (over a period of 1400 years from Andulus to the East). As there are members of the sect that agree with shia and members that don't.

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It is not entirely true that Sunnis believe the first 3 generations were the best of people. The above mentioned incidents are also recorded by sunni historians.

This is why they have Jarh wat-Ta'deel of the salaf; the reliablity of the conclusions are subjective. When referring to 'Ahl Sunnah' one must be very specific as to which scholars of this sect they are talking about (over a period of 1400 years from Andulus to the East). As there are members of the sect that agree with shia and members that don't.

Correct. That is why I asked, " I know salafis have this belief but do all Sunnis believe that the Sahaba, Tabiun and Tabi Al-Tabiun were the best generations of Islam? "

42 minutes ago, Vestige said:

Salam,

I remember my first undergraduate essay at university was on whether or not the period of the Rashidun Caliphate can be called a "Golden Age". The question was phrased in such a way that it wanted the candidate to argue against such a delusive notion. Many of the academics in the department, including the gentleman who marked my work, were in agreement that it's a fantastical belief, adopted by hardcore Sunnis (who will dismiss any evidence pointing towards this era being one of social anarchy and unprecedented political dissent if A'isha and 'Umar are mentioned in the same sentence).

The point is that the "Golden Age" is a view that isn't really taken seriously by any proper non-Muslim Western academic (that I know of), especially when these questions are formulated in such a way. 

Thats a relief.

There is also a discussion between the Ulema of Ahl Sunnah regarding which part of the Ummah is the greatest:

The Sahaba of Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وآله or those of Imam al-Mahdi عجل الله تعالى فرجه الشريف.

This is based on the narration by Abu Dawood, Ahmad bin Hanbal et al: مثل أُمّتي مثل المطر ، لا يدرى أوّله خير أم آخره

As well as Ibn Abi Shaiba and recorded by Ibn Hajar Asqalani et al: ليدركن المسيح أقواماً ، إنّهم لمثلكم أو خير ثلاثاً

Furthermore there is discussion on whether the narration that contains 'Quroon' is even reliable or not.

Leading Albani to conclude that the correct meaning was 'people' not all generations:

موسوعة الألباني في العقيدة: ولا تقولوا كما يقول الجماهير من الدعاة: خير القرون، خير القرون ليس له أصل في السنة

السنة الصحيحة في الصحيحين وغيرهما من مراجع الحديث والسنة مُطْبِقَة على رواية الحديث بلفظ: «خير الناس قرني، ثم الذين يلونهم ثم الذين يلونهم -

Edited by Ozzy

On 26.10.2016 at 10:54 PM, shiaman14 said:

I know salafis have this belief but do all Sunnis believe that the Sahaba, Tabiun and Tabi Al-Tabiun were the best generations of Islam?

If a generation is 25 years, then this would mean the first 50 years after the Prophet was Islam's best generation. Do you agree?

I am sunni, hanafi and yes we do believe that first 3 generations were best generations of this nation.

We base this on sound report from our beloved prophet (saws).

In a famous hadeeth, narrated by Imran bin Husayn (RA):"Verily the best among you (to follow) is my generation (the Messenger Muhammad (pbuh) and his Companions (RA)), then those who follow, and then those who follow them…"  (Saheeh Muslim, the Virtues of the Sahabah, chapter 52 hadeeth no. 2535)

18 minutes ago, Abu_Rumaysah said:

I am sunni, hanafi and yes we do believe that first 3 generations were best generations of this nation.

We base this on sound report from our beloved prophet (saws).

In a famous hadeeth, narrated by Imran bin Husayn (RA):"Verily the best among you (to follow) is my generation (the Messenger Muhammad (pbuh) and his Companions (RA)), then those who follow, and then those who follow them…"  (Saheeh Muslim, the Virtues of the Sahabah, chapter 52 hadeeth no. 2535)

So the 'best' generation killed Hz Ali, Fatima, Hasan, Hussain (as)?

What about the murders of Caliphs Umar and Uthman? Best generation?

5 hours ago, shiaman14 said:

So the 'best' generation killed Hz Ali, Fatima, Hasan, Hussain (as)?

What about the murders of Caliphs Umar and Uthman? Best generation?

Being best or worse, does not rely solely on deeds of some of the people. But on people in general. 

Prophet (saw) lived in that generation, what generation could be better?

As for alledged murder of hz Fatima and hz Hasan. They are not confirmed. 

On 10/27/2016 at 0:54 AM, shiaman14 said:

O you who believe! whoever from among you turns back from his religion, then Allah will bring a people, He shall love them and they shall love Him, lowly before the believers, mighty against the unbelievers, they shall strive hard in Allah's way and shall not fear the censure of any censurer; this is Allah's Face, He gives it to whom He pleases, and Allah is Ample-giving, Knowing.

Only Allah is your Vali and His Apostle and those who believe, those who keep up prayers and pay the poor-rate while they bow.

And whoever takes Allah and His apostle and those who believe for a guardian, then surely the party of Allah are they that shall be triumphant.  (5:54 - 56)

And others from among them who have not yet joined them; and He is the Mighty, the Wise. (62:3) That is Allah's grace; He grants it to whom He pleases, and Allah is the Lord of mighty grace. (62:4)

The above verse refers to the nation of Hz Salman Farsi RA..

Book 031, Number 6178: Sahih Muslim

Abu Huraira reported: We were sitting in the company of Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) that Sura al-Jumu'a was revealed to him and when he recited (these words):" Others from amongst them who have not yet joined them," a person amongst them (those who were sitting there) said: Allah's Messenger! But Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) made no reply, until he questioned him once, twice or thrice. And there was amongst us Salman the Persian. The Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) placed his hand on Salman and then said: Even if faith were near the Pleiades, a man from amongst these would surely find it.

No. 6177

Abu Huraira reported Allaah's Messenger (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) as saying: If the din were at the Pleiades, even then a person from Persia would have taken hold of it, or one amongst the Persian descent would have surely found it.

I have replied with true text what i have found from the quran and hadith..

Wasalam

Edited by skamran110