Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Guest silasun

Palestine: A Modern Day Karbala

Rate this topic

Guest silasun

Palestine: A Modern Day Karbala

Mohsin Jafri November 13, 20152,356 Views

•  
  •  
  •  

Palestina

We have heard it before, from one angle or another, why should Shia help the Palestinians? I don’t know. Why should any human help someone who has had their house stolen, their father killed, their brother tortured to death in prison, their sister humiliated and their mother punched and slapped repeatedly on the streets? I could end this article here, but the sad truth of the world we live in is somewhat explained by a quote seen floating around on Facebook – ‘An apple dropped on Newton’s head, and we understood the law of gravity, hundreds of bombs fall on Gaza, yet we have not understood the laws of humanity.’

Firstly, one thing needs to be understood. From a jurisprudential point of view, it is obligatory upon Muslims to defend Islamic territory, and if Islamic lands are occupied, it is an obligation to get rid of the occupier. All jurists, Shia or Sunni, agree on this. Regardless of how emotionally you feel about the politics of Islam, regarding the Palestinian struggle for liberation, as a Muslim, jurisprudentially it is an obligation for which you will be questioned about on the day of judgement.

Secondly, we have heard numerous stories of how our Prophet (s), the Prophet of compassion and justice, the Prophet (s) we all believe in, Shia or Sunni, helped the oppressed on numerous occasion.

A few years before the proclamation of Prophethood, being a stranger in Mecca was not a pleasant experience. Those who lived in Mecca were protected by their own families or tribes friendly to them, however, strangers and travellers who had no one to turn to were often the target of unjust persecution and prosecution. The beloved Prophet (s) taught us one very strong lesson in such a dark climate. He helped found a league of individuals whose main responsibility was to look after the weak, the strangers and the slaves from injustice.

Ayatullah Khamenei summarises the view of the Prophet (s) and relates it to our responsibility towards the oppressed:

“…they have a duty to respond to an oppressed nation’s cries for help…. The Holy Prophet (s.w.a.) said, “A person who hears a Muslim’s cries for help but fails to respond, is not a Muslim.”.… And today it is not just a single individual who is crying for help: it is an entire nation.”

The last few years, assaults on Palestine have taken place in or around the first 10 days of Muharram; at a time when the Muslim world remembers the stand of Imam Hussain ibn Ali a.s, the grandson of the Prophet (s) against the oppression of the tyrant Yazid. Although this event is dear to the hearts of all Muslims, this is a time when the world experiences potential strength and numbers of the Shia.

The passion, fervour and the depth of emotional attachment towards a stand of the few against the many, a stand against oppression at every possible level and a struggle with no compromise personified by the story of Karbala forces the audience of such a phenomenon, taking everything said into account, into asking the right question, why would the Shia not help the oppressed nation of Palestine?

West Bank is up in flames and the Gaza strip continues to be strangled. Another Muharram has come and this oppression remains. Very clear calls from the leadership of both movements express that the Shia cannot be taken away from the issue concerning the majority Sunni nation of Palestine. Sayed Hassan Nasrallah stated: “We the Shia of Ali ibn Abi Talib a.s will never abandon Palestine.” It is imperative that we take the resistance against the illegitimate state of “Israel” outside the sectarian narrative and finish what should have been done a very long time ago. Until then, we leave those fighting on the front lines with this message of hope from the leader of the Islamic revolution Ayatullah Sayed Ali Khamenei:

“If you suffer pain, then surely they (too) suffer pain as you suffer pain and you hope from Allah what they do not hope.” [The Holy Quran, 4: 104] If you suffer pain in this battle, the enemy also suffers pain. The enemy is hurt, too: even more than you. The difference is that there are bright prospects for the Palestinian nation, but there are no such prospects for the usurping Zionists.”

Guest silasun
14 minutes ago, DigitalUmmah said:

Palestine is nothing - NOTHING - like karbala

If you insist. Nobody is going to be drawn into a debate.

We don't need to discuss with those with no passion for mankind's justice.

Edited by silasun

25 minutes ago, DigitalUmmah said:

Palestine is nothing - NOTHING - like karbala

10 minutes ago, silasun said:

If you insist. Nobody is going to be drawn into a debate.

We don't need to discuss with those with no passion for mankind's justice.

I don't think it s a matter of brother DU not sympathizing with the plight of the Palestinian people. He is simply saying that as bad as it is for them, it is NOT Karbala. I for one agree with him.

Also, I am not sure what is meant by this:

41 minutes ago, silasun said:

The last few years, assaults on Palestine have taken place in or around the first 10 days of Muharram; at a time when the Muslim world remembers the stand of Imam Hussain ibn Ali a.s, the grandson of the Prophet (s) against the oppression of the tyrant Yazid. Although this event is dear to the hearts of all Muslims, this is a time when the world experiences potential strength and numbers of the Shia.

Are they being targeted specifically in Muharram? I fail to see the relevance.

Karbala was to save Islam. Palestine is to save land. Completely different

Edited by shiaman14

Guest silasun
1 minute ago, Lover of Ahlulbait (ams) said:

Palestinians are suffering oppression but cannot be compared to karbala. Never. 

You should read the article. 

oppression and injustice is the same now as it was back then doesn't matter who it happens to.... Injustice is still injustice regardless of the time it was/is being committed in ....

To state my own opinion  Imam Hussein (as) is my everything!!! The tragedy that happened in Karbala has effected me deeply! Traumatized me emotionally. So I can't compare anything to that but I see the point the brother is trying to make Palestinians are being oppressed and murdered on a daily basis. We as human beings first and foremost then as brothers in Islam should stand beside them.  

12 minutes ago, silasun said:

You should read the article. 

Yes brother, I did. Where I denied that they shouldn't be helped. They are undergoing killings and humiliations everyday so are the people of Iraq, Syria, Yemen, etc. It doesn't mean that you equate them to Karbala. Tomorrow you may take an example of an oppressed man and equate him to Imam Hussain (a.s.). 

25 minutes ago, magma said:

Making a connection between the two serves a practical purpose in today's world, as opposed to the converse, which doesn't translate into anything relevant for anybody on the ground today. 

MashaAllah @ your beliefs

What I mean is that dividing and grading oppressions, past and present, into levels and hierarchies serves no practical purpose in addressing the issue of oppression worldwide.

Is Karbala a greater theatre than Palestine? Yes, in the cosmic sense. But in the literal, tangible, and humane sense, what does saying this accomplish? That the Palestinians matter less than they should? That some people are more worthy of attention than others? I think that misses the point of the whole thing. 

The point of Karbala was to shed light on all oppressions of the world, not belittle and hide them away in its own omnipotence. Otherwise it's just another trophy for the wall.

Edited by magma

42 minutes ago, magma said:

Is Karbala a greater theatre than Palestine? Yes, in the cosmic sense. But in the literal, tangible, and humane sense, what does saying this accomplish? That the Palestinians matter less than they should? That some people are more worthy of attention than others? I think that misses the point of the whole thing. 

Excellent point 

Everyone knows that nothing is the same as Karbala and Ashura: لا یوم کیومک یا اباعبدالله. But what is going on in Palestine is like what happened in Karbala and Ashura.

We don't need to ruin the thread and it's goal by this ongoing approach of کلمه الحق یراد بها الباطل that some are presenting in various threads.

Back to the topic, the article reminded me of the historic remarks of Shahid Mutahari on Palestine:

Uh no, Palestinians are oppressed people that deserve our attention and our support, but we can't compare it to Kerbala for 2 reasons;

(1) Imam Hussein was an infallible and the people that fought in his army were extraordinary human beings. To compare Palestine to Kerbala would be to say that the Palestinians are faultless. Yes, for the most part their fate is due to the oppressive and barbaric Zionist regime, but the Palestinians are not completely free of blame. They have been guilty of targeting Israelis through stabbings, suicide bombings, etc. Even though these sometimes are out of utter desperation, can you imagine our Imams ever ever doing that no matter how oppressed they were? Heck Muslim Ibn Aqeel knowing that Ibn Ziyad would kill him had the opportunity to kill him but he did not want to fight someone who was defenceless as Ibn Ziyad would have been in that situation. Also, our Imams cried because their enemies were sinning by killing them, that level of concern for your enemy is not something we will see amongst Palestinians or any other group of people for that matter.

(2) Kerbala was the mark of the greatest sacrifice ever known to mankind and the level of oppression that our Imams underwent cannot really be compared to anything else. The Palestinian situation is no doubt a great tragedy, and their suffering is something that we should all be concerned about and speak out against, but again, their suffering is not unique when we consider whats happening to our Shia brethren in Bahrain, Pakistan, Iraq, Syria, Nigeria, Afghanistan. In fact, I would argue that we should speak up for the Palestinians but we should focus more on the suffering of our Shia brethren because no one else will. There are already so many muslims and non-muslims who speak up for the Palestinian cause, who do you know that speaks up for Bahrain? Pakistan? Nigeria? Hardly anybody, but their suffering is just as bad in my opinion.

Edited by Mohamed1993

Palestine isn't even the worst oppression going on in the world in the last century, hell, its not even the worst oppression happening in the world right NOW. oh boo hoo hoo hoo my poor bleeding heart. how many of you even know whats happening in parachinar? or NWFP? or karachi? to your own shia brothers and sisters?

you march and scream like idiot lemmings on quds day, what have you ever done for your fellow shia being oppressed? 

I don't know if you can compare different forms of oppression but I have to say the Palestinian issue does get a lot more attention than any form of oppression against our Shia brethren. Iran in particular, always criticizes Israel but why does it then not criticize Pakistan? Nigeria? All the Gulf states? Often, whenever some conflict is involved between Shias and Sunnis some people find a way to bring Israel in. Israel is not to blame for all the problems in the Middle East, it is largely to blame for the suffering of the Palestinians and maybe the Lebanese because of the 18-year invasion but that's pretty much it. Israel didn't exist at the time of the prophet was Arabia free of atrocities? It's about time we stopped obsessing over unity and call out some of these oppressive "Muslim" governments too, in fact they are worse in that they kill their very own fellow Muslim brothers but people don't say anything to maintain Shia/Sunni unity. A unity with people who hate us more than the Israelis. 

Edited by Mohamed1993

Guest silasun

I don't need to reply to this thread. The attitude some people have has shot themselves in the foot and explains to the world under what ignorance and prejudices their view is based.

Fe aman Allah

10 hours ago, silasun said:

I don't need to reply to this thread. The attitude some people have has shot themselves in the foot and explains to the world under what ignorance and prejudices their view is based.

Fe aman Allah

let me just stop you right there, Che Guevara. 

first of all, does the suffering of your brothers and sisters in wilayat take precedence, or does the suffering of non shia? who has more right over you?

secondly - what have you done to help your shia brothers and sisters? give me specifics. what have you done for the Palestinians as a comparison?

thirdly - what do you even know about shia suffering in places like parachinar?

fourthly - what do you even know about the history of palestine, how they reached the current situation? do you think they are completely innocent?

fifthly, what do you know about what the palestinians think of shia? here is a clip to get you started:

finally - why do you think Iran is behind all this support of palestine, at the expense of all the shia suffering? why do you think iran is so desperate to win favour with the sunni world by helping palestinians?

I didn't say the Palestinians didn't deserve to be spoken out for, I am saying people recognize their plight and there are even movements to support the end of Israeli occupation and apartheid, but tell me are there nearly as many movements calling for an end to the tyranny of the Saudi monarchy? The Qatari monarchy? No. Simply put, most Sunnis are never going to bother speaking up for us, even as we speak up for the Palestinians more than they do. To ignore the oppression of Shias and solely focus on Palestine as though it is the issue that deserves most of our attention and they are the group of people facing the most oppression, let alone equivalent to the oppression Imam Hussein faced at Kerbala is doing a massive injustice to our Shia brethren and is simply inaccurate. Let me tell you, the Israeli government may be brutal and barbaric, but do you know how many of our fellow muslims have killed Shias? It does not even come close. Who were Imam Hussein's enemies in Kerbala? Were they not "muslims", "muslims" that today believe it or not garner praise from some of our so-called brothers, even if they may not admit it.

The issue of Palestine is indeed the most pressing issue in the muslim ummah today, for Israel poses the greatest threat to islam. We simply need to look at the zionist greater Israel agenda to see the gravity of the threat that awaits us. Palestine stands at the epicenter of this threat, hence the greatest attention must be brought to them. This was one of the main reasons behind islamic revolution in Iran and why Imam Khomeini emphasized Palestine to such great extend, which is continuing today with Imam Khamenei. Remove Israel from the scene, and the zionist agenda will be defeated, and with it, the imperialist agendas in the muslim world. 

http://www.globalresearch.ca/greater-israel-the-zionist-plan-for-the-middle-east/5324815

They're fully connected. Takfiris and disunited puppet muslim states are nothing without zionist and western backing. If we defeat the larger greater Israel agenda, dealing with these threats will not be great difficulty. This is not 200 years ago with a united sunni khalifas. We are dealing with bunch of weak, divided nations, against united Shia resistance with centralized religious leadership.

The end agenda is to use takfiris to defeat the Shia resistance, something direct American and Israeli intervention could not achieve since 2001. If successful, we will witness the takfiri leadership abandoned their groups, leaving them open for slaughter by the zionists as the world cheers on (using multitude of mass death weaponry, chemical, biological and nuclear), paving the way for the greater Israel. 

3 hours ago, Shiawarrior313 said:

They're fully connected. Takfiris and disunited puppet muslim states are nothing without zionist and western backing. If we defeat the larger greater Israel agenda, dealing with these threats will not be great difficulty. This is not 200 years ago with a united sunni khalifas. We are dealing with bunch of weak, divided nations, against united Shia resistance with centralized religious leadership.

The end agenda is to use takfiris to defeat the Shia resistance, something direct American and Israeli intervention could not achieve since 2001. If successful, we will witness the takfiri leadership abandoned their groups, leaving them open for slaughter by the zionists as the world cheers on (using multitude of mass death weaponry, chemical, biological and nuclear), paving the way for the greater Israel.

sigh.