Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Which Ayatollah Should i follow ?

Rate this topic

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

Allahumma Salli Ala Muhammadin wa Ale Muhammad

Salam Alaykoum Wa Rahmatullah

i know this issue has been discussed countless time and i know it will spark debates , but  as a convert i followed Ayatollah Khamenei . Then i had a bad period where i almost left the faith but now came back stronger. Now i am wondering which ayatollah should i follow? i followed Khamenei(rah) but he (no offense to anyone following him) is a bit too political for me. I respect him very much though. I am looking for the most knowledgneable one and i heard it was Ayat Sistani(rah). Others told me it was Makarem Shirazi (Rah), Rouhani(Rah) or Saanei(Rah). According to you which one is the most knowledgneable , has an English Risala Book and is against Tatbir( i am sorry for the one i offend but this is a must for me as i despise this practice. Again not trying to offend anyone).

Wasalam

• Forum Administrators

Salam. Each marja has his own website where you can study his rulings:

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/71812-grand-ayatullahs/

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Ali Emanoil Muhammad said:

i know this issue has been discussed countless time and i know it will spark debates , but  as a convert i followed Ayatollah Khamenei . Then i had a bad period where i almost left the faith but now came back stronger. Now i am wondering which ayatollah should i follow? i followed Khamenei(rah) but he (no offense to anyone following him) is a bit too political for me. I respect him very much though. I am looking for the most knowledgneable one and i heard it was Ayat Sistani(rah). Others told me it was Makarem Shirazi (Rah), Rouhani(Rah) or Saanei(Rah). According to you which one is the most knowledgneable , has an English Risala Book and is against Tatbir( i am sorry for the one i offend but this is a must for me as i despise this practice. Again not trying to offend anyone).

Wasalam

Brother - you choose a marja based on knowledge, wisdom, taqwa, etc. and not based on their existing rulings. Once you determine who is the right marja for you, then look at their legal rulings on all matters.

• Veteran Member

Wasalam

Ask two experts on religion, that you trust, and take their advice. You can not determine the matter yourself.

• Moderators

Ayatullah Sistani:

"There are three ways of identifying a Mujtahid, and the A'alam: when a person is certain that a particular person is a Mujtahid, or the most learned one. For this, he should be a learned person himself, and should possess the capacity to identify a Mujtahid or an A'alam; when two persons, who are learned and just and possess the capacity to identify a Mujtahid or the A'alam, confirm that a person is a Mujtahid or an A'lam, provided that two other learned and just persons do not contradict them. In fact, being a Mujtahid or an A'lam can also be established by a statement of only one trusted and reliable person; when a number of learned persons who possess the capacity to identify a Mujtahid or an A'lam, certify that a particular person is a Mujtahid or an A'lam, provided that one is satisfied by their statement."

[Islamic Laws, Chapter 2, Ruling 3]

Ayatullah Khamenei:

"Q 24: I verified the competence of a certain mujtahid as marji‘ through the testimony of two just persons, is it obligatory for me to ask other persons about this matter also? 
A: The testimony of two just experts regarding the competence of a certain mujtahid and that he meets all requirements is enough to consider his following as permissible and it is not necessary to ask others thereafter. 

Q 25: What are the methods for selecting a marji‘ and obtaining his fatwās? 
A: Ijtihād of a marji‘ and that he is the most learned one is verified through examining him and becoming certain, even if due to publicity which makes one certain or confident, or the testimony of two just experts."

[Practical Laws of Islam]

The method of determining which Ayatullah to follow is listed above according to the two major maraje in the world right now- and it is the exact same. All you have to do is question two people who you consider learned and adil concerning who is the most learned Ayatullah alive, and after that it is permissible for you to follow that marja'.

Personally, I have fulfilled these criterion by consulting several scholars who've recommended Ayatullah Khamenei to me. As for him being "too political," he himself considers the office of the marja' (for Islamic Laws) to be separate from the position of the "jurist leader" (for politics):

"Q 52: When the fatwā of the leader of Muslims on social, political, and cultural issues disagrees with that of another marji‘, what is the religious obligation of Muslims? And is there a dividing line between fatwās issued by marji‘ and those issued by the jurist leader? For example, if the opinion of a marji‘ concerning music differs with that of the jurist leader, which one is valid and obligatory to follow? And, in general, what are the wilā’ī edicts regarding which opinion of the jurist leader has priority over that of a marji‘? 
A: The edicts of the jurist leader must be followed with respect to the issues relating to the administration of the Islamic country and general affairs of Muslims. While, every mukallaf is obliged to follow his own marji‘ in absolutely personal issues. "

[Practical Laws of Islam]

• Moderators

Both Ayatullah Khamenei and Ayatullah Sistani do not permit tatbir.

You can find the fatawa of most other maraje that you will likely consider for taqlid on this website:

http://tatbir.org/

khamenei.PNG

sistani.PNG

• Moderators

MashaAllah i will follow Sayyed Sistani (May Allah Leghthen his Life )

I'm glad you've reached a decision with the knowledge of how to correctly make it.

2 hours ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

I'm glad you've reached a decision with the knowledge of how to correctly make it.

i asked four knowlegable people (2 sheiks, 1 doctor in Islam and 1 student at the Hawza and they said Sayyid Sistani (Rah) i also heard that the most followed in your community you can follow and again here it is sayyid Sistani (Rah)

• 4 years later...
Guest Islam

Salam, can someone please help me out because I am not sure what to do, 

I start following syed sistani without asking two learned person whether syed sistani is the most learned marja or not, I just follow him by knowing and learning his ruling online, is me following syed sistani ruling valid or not according to him or not, now I should start over ask him about him then make the intention of following him, 

• Moderators
On 1/21/2021 at 12:14 PM, Guest Islam said:

Salam, can someone please help me out because I am not sure what to do, 

I start following syed sistani without asking two learned person whether syed sistani is the most learned marja or not, I just follow him by knowing and learning his ruling online, is me following syed sistani ruling valid or not according to him or not, now I should start over ask him about him then make the intention of following him, 

Wa alaikum as salaam

There are several ulema who have confirmed that Sayyid al Sistani is among the qualified and knowledgeable jurists of our time. Therefore it is fine that you have been referring to him and that you continue to do so. 

• Advanced Member

You need to follow a scholar of knowledge.

First step is aqeeda. There are differences of aqeeda eg some scholars accept wahdatul wajood some don't, varying definitions of infallibility.

So if say find a book of aqeeda attributed to a scholar/marja if they have no works in aqeeda it fails the first hurdle and you can't follow them blindly as there may be an aqaid difference between your self and the scholar.