Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

keeping a dog as a pet

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

As-salamu-alaikum

A question regarding Dogs. What are the rules in Shia Islam on keeping a dog as a pet? a dog is great for guarding a house and a great animal, so is it permissible to keep it as a pet? 

Edited by Ali_123
Typo
  • Advanced Member

Salam

I think it is famous among Shia that you can't keep a dog as a pet. Yes, as a guarding one for farms or for sheep herds or for hunting, you can keep but as a pet, no.

I bring some hadiths here (all from Al-Kafi) , but further help is appreciated:

Angels Do Not Enter:

إِنَّ جَبْرَئِيلَ ع أَتَانِي فَقَالَ إِنَّا مَعَاشِرَ الْمَلَائِكَةِ لَا نَدْخُلُ بَيْتاً فِيهِ كَلْبٌ‏ وَ لَا تِمْثَالُ جَسَدٍ وَ لَا إِنَاءٌ يُبَالُ فِيهِ.

The Gabriel came to the prophet and said: We angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog, or a pissing pot or ... [ this last one I'm not sure whether to translate as "drawing" or "statute" of a body.]

There are different hadiths, with different chains for this context...so, you need not worry about its authenticity. 

There are other hadiths too, I just bring them and didn't check their chains (it is bothersome to check ^____^ )

يُكْرَهُ أَنْ يَكُونَ فِي دَارِ الرَّجُلِ الْمُسْلِمِ الْكَلْبُ. It is discouraged for a Mulim man to have dog in his house.

لَا خَيْرَ فِي الْكِلَابِ إِلَّا كَلْبَ‏ صَيْدٍ أَوْ كَلْبَ‏ مَاشِيَةٍ. "There is no benefit in dogs, except hunting and shepherd dogs."

مَا مِنْ أَحَدٍ يَتَّخِذُ كَلْباً إِلَّا نَقَصَ فِي كُلِّ يَوْمٍ مِنْ عَمَلِ صَاحِبِهِ قِيرَاطٌ. "Whoever keeps a dog loses a little portion of his good deeds everyday."

لَا تُمْسِكْ كَلْبَ‏ الصَّيْدِ فِي الدَّارِ إِلَّا أَنْ يَكُونَ بَيْنَكَ وَ بَيْنَهُ بَابٌ. "Do not keep your hunting dog in your house except there is a door between you and him."

There are other hadiths much like these one...I thought this much was enough.

• Advanced Member
8 minutes ago, Totoro said:

The Gabriel came to the prophet and said: We angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog, or a pissing pot or ... [ this last one I'm not sure whether to translate as "drawing" or "statute" of a body.]

Salam, thanks brother but This Hadith is weak in narration if I'm not mistaken correct ? So it cannot be relied on. Can someone bring some hadiths from ahlulbayt (as) with strong chains ? 

Didnt ashab e kahf have a dog with them? That didn't stop the Angels from coming into the cave. 

And you would think them awake, while they were asleep. And We turned them to the right and to the left, while their dog stretched his forelegs at the entrance. If you had looked at them, you would have turned from them in flight and been filled by them with terror. Quran  Al khaf 18

Some) say they were three, the dog being the fourth among them; (others) say they were five, the dog being the sixth,- doubtfully guessing at the unknown; (yet others) say they were seven, the dog being the eighth.Say thou: "My Lord knoweth best their number; It is but few that know their (real case)." Enter not, therefore, into controversies concerning them, except on a matter that is clear, nor consult any of them about (the affair of) the Sleepers. (Surah Al-Kahf, 22)

They ask thee what is lawful to them (as food).Say: lawful unto you are (all) things good and pure: and what ye have taught your trained hunting animals (to catch) in the manner directed to you by Allah.eat what they catch for you, but pronounce the name of Allah over it: and fear Allah.for Allah is swift in taking account. (Surah Al-MaÂ’ida, 4)

it doesn't even say wash it cause the dog is najis just says say the name Allah over that's it. 

Edited by Ya_isa (as)
  • Advanced Member
36 minutes ago, Ya_isa (as) said:

Salam, thanks brother but This Hadith is weak in narration if I'm not mistaken correct ? So it cannot be relied on. Can someone bring some hadiths from ahlulbayt (as) with strong chains ? 

there is another hadith with strong chain:

إِنَّ جَبْرَئِيلَ ع قَالَ إِنَّا لَا نَدْخُلُ بَيْتاً فِيهِ صُورَةٌ وَ لَا كَلْب‏ "The Gabriel Said We don't enter a house in which there is a drawing or a dog."

this is the chain if you want to check for yourself:

مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ يَحْيَى عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ عِيسَى عَنْ عَلِيِّ بْنِ الْحَكَمِ عَنْ أَبَانِ بْنِ عُثْمَانَ عَنْ أَبِي بَصِيرٍ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ اللَّه‏.

and I think their dog was a shepherd dog...as it is mentioned in stories regarding that incident...

Edited by Totoro
  • Advanced Member

‘Dogs are not impure,’ says prominent Islamic scholar

MAY 14, 2014

Traditionally, dogs have been seen as unclean and impure, with Islamic thinkers warning Muslims to avoid contact with the loyal animals.

Despite the Prophet Muhammad’s kindness to animals, including notable stories of the Prophet caring for puppies, it has often been considered that dogs are unclean and are incompatible with those that practice Islam.

Yet, a new fatwa by Egypt’s former Grand Mufti Ali Gomaa challenges this traditional view, stating that there is a misconception about dogs being impure and ritually unclean (najis).

Sheikh Gomaa, who was Grand Mufti for a decade of the Sunni Islamic world’s top Islamic authority, is one of the most respected Islamic scholars and clerics in the world.

During his television show which discusses Islam’s teachings, the Sheikh stated that there is nothing wrong with keeping a dog inside your house as a dog is not impure.

According to Sheikh Gomaa, Islamic jurisprudence, which he says is based off Islam’s adopted teachings of Imam Malik ibn Anas, dictates that dogs come from a group of immaculate and clean animals that worship and are not impure or unclean.

In regards to the popular conception that ‘angels do not enter houses which contain dogs,’ the former Grand Mufti stated that this is not true, but that dogs should not enter your prayer space.

Yet, Sheikh Gomaa went even further in his defence of dogs, stating that their loyalty allows them to be beneficial for protection, hunting and detection of explosives and drugs. The Sheikh added that guide dogs are extremely beneficial for those that are blind.

It is unclear whether the Sheikh’s fatwa will be quickly adopted across the Islamic world. In the past, there have been multiple Islamic scholars that have spoken out against the idea that dogs are impure or unclean.

Sheikh Mahmud Shaltut, a former Grand Imam of Al-Azhar who was in office between 1958-1963, had issued a similar fatwa declaring that dogs are not ritually unclean. Former Grand Mufti Sheikh Nasr Farid Wasil also issued the same declaration in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, Totoro said:

@Ya_isa (as)

Don't you find it strange? Some asks for Shia beliefs in this regard, and the other asks for Authentic hadiths from Imamas, and when given, a sunni scholar's fatwaa becomes important? I am totally in awe ^____^

Came across it thought it was interesting and sort of related to this topic so I shared it. Don't need to be in awe..... 

• Advanced Member
5 minutes ago, Ya_isa (as) said:

Came across it thought it was interesting and sort of related to this topic so I shared it. Don't need to be in awe..... 

i didn't say all that happens to me needs logical reasons...some emotions are absurd as their possessors... but I'm still in awe ^____^