Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
DigitalUmmah

Pretty neat website

Salam, Ya Ali (as) Madad, Lanat upon the enemies of the Ahlulbayt (as)

I work currently work for a company that is obsessed with becoming "the healthiest workplace in britain".  As such, all staff here are fitness crazy. only healthy food in the canteen, activity tracking, going to the gym during lunch breaks etc. theres tonnes of things here like unlimited free fruit for all staff whenever they want. 

and then there's me, basically a potato who often brings parathas from home and hasnt even taken his complimentary fitness tracking device out of its box (I started working here last november)

anyway one of my team mates is desperately trying to get me to sort myself out, and she linked me to this website

http://www.musclefood.com/meat/certified-halal-meat.html

so you can buy halal meat in bulk, and freeze/ thaw it and plan your meals accordingly. one of my biggest weaknesses is that I am ok during work hours, I can unfortunately only eat healthy here. but as soon as i get home i am HUUUUUNGRY so will eat everything that mum makes. 

something like this will probably help me a lot because I will be forced to plan my meals. I am hoping to track my progress here on this thread once I am back from Karbala, InshaAllah. 

Question: if mum is doing the cooking, how are you going to plan your meals? You going to bring mum in on the process, or not eat her delicious and lovingly prepared unhealthy food?

4 minutes ago, notme said:

Question: if mum is doing the cooking, how are you going to plan your meals? You going to bring mum in on the process, or not eat her delicious and lovingly prepared unhealthy food?

i have a george forman grill, I can (just about) manage to prep my own meals. i know if I ask mum to grill my chicken for me, she will probably deep fry them in butter and sugar and masala before grilling. the problem is my mum finds it personally offensive if I am ever hungry/ on a calorie deficit, so she will guilt trip me into eating more. and because I have negative levels of motivation when it comes to indian food, I will cave - immediately. in my youth I used to train muay thai 5 days a week so I could eat a lot of everything and still be fit. she still thinks thats the case now

Grilled plain meat is alright to the normal British palate, but do you really think you're going to stick with it when you're used to a bit more flavor? 

I'm not trying to discourage you. My special talent is finding holes in theories, and helping people to fill them. 

In my opinion you're going to need to take a two pronged approach. Train yourself to eat differently AND train your mother to feed you differently. Maybe you can even convince her to cut back on the butter. 

Drink a tall glass of water before every meal or snack.

You like salads? If so, fill up on them, just crisp and delicious raw veggies no oils, no nuts, no croutons, none of those fatty things people add for flavor. A splash of high quality vinegar or a squeeze of citrus, and a dash of ground black pepper will flavor it plenty if the veggies are fresh and ripe. 

And then after you are full or at least not hungry, then you can enjoy your plain grilled meats if you want, or mum's lovingly prepared oily spicy desi dishes in proper moderation.

And now I need to go take my own advice. Last time I stepped on a scale I was shocked.

8 minutes ago, notme said:

And now I need to go take my own advice. Last time I stepped on a scale I was shocked.

the last time i stepped on a scale, the dial span so fast that the scale flew away

Wassalamu Alaikum I was going to order some halal chicken then I realized I live in Sweden and I saw the website selling beer. Things like this could really help me out with building muscles..

1 hour ago, DigitalUmmah said:

the problem is my mum finds it personally offensive if I am ever hungry/ on a calorie deficit, so she will guilt trip me into eating more.

Cry, weep, ask for forgiveness from God, if you ever said 'No' to your mum. All tasty and spicy dishes coming from the kitchen should be gulp down followed by a big burp.