Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Islandsandmirrors

Taking only 6 units this semester?

Rate this topic

So I went from being a full time student to part time. I dropped my 3 hour lab class because the class was at a horrible time. I dropped my last class since I was failing and didn't want to get a bad grade and bring down my GPA. I also happen to go to a CC. 

My mother disapproves of my class-dropping and says that I'm just lazy when it's not even that. She knows I took five classes (15 units.) at one point and got As and Bs. 

Thing is, because of my Bipolar disorder, it's very hard for me at times. I developed mania because I was under too much stress and this is my first semester back in a year and I just want to get back into the swing of things with the intention of getting good grades. I plan to make it up by taking 5 classes in the Spring and next fall to transfer. I'll be taking 2 classes in the summer as well. 

I took one semester off because of my depressive/manic episodes. I took the next semester off because I was on horrible medication that made my mind go foggy and I couldn't stay attentive in class. 

I just really want to be done with CC but if it's going to take a bit longer than so be it. 

Has anyone done anything similar? 

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

It took me 13 years to get a "4-year" degree. Nobody but you knows what you can do. I took lighter course load because I was always working 2-3 jobs. I had semesters and even years off because life got in the way. I can't even imagine trying to work through full time with a significant illness. The fact that you're still going it's a win. Do what works for you and don't let the criticism of others (even your mom) bring you down. 

25 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

How do you mean that? :confused:

I think he means that you and Notme have smartly chosen the best plan for yourselves. :) 

Yes, a lighter course load and taking summer classes is a good method. I have a family member who worked full time and only took one class each semester. He took 10 years to get his bachelor degree. He never regretted it. 

15 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

So I went from being a full time student to part time. I dropped my 3 hour lab class because the class was at a horrible time. I dropped my last class since I was failing and didn't want to get a bad grade and bring down my GPA. I also happen to go to a CC. 

My mother disapproves of my class-dropping and says that I'm just lazy when it's not even that. She knows I took five classes (15 units.) at one point and got As and Bs. 

Thing is, because of my Bipolar disorder, it's very hard for me at times. I developed mania because I was under too much stress and this is my first semester back in a year and I just want to get back into the swing of things with the intention of getting good grades. I plan to make it up by taking 5 classes in the Spring and next fall to transfer. I'll be taking 2 classes in the summer as well. 

I took one semester off because of my depressive/manic episodes. I took the next semester off because I was on horrible medication that made my mind go foggy and I couldn't stay attentive in class. 

I just really want to be done with CC but if it's going to take a bit longer than so be it. 

Has anyone done anything similar? 

come hug me and be my friend

On 9/28/2016 at 0:00 AM, Islandsandmirrors said:

How do you mean that? :confused:

@hameedeh understood me correctly, I thought you will get it too.