Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
zainabamy

Using the left hand

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, zainabamy said:

:salam:

Brothers and sisters, is it acceptable to eat with the left hand if you are using a knife and fork and not actually touching the food? Likewise if you have a drink and you're holding it with your left hand?

:ws:

It's Best to eat with your right hand.

Also use your left hand for washing (get the point)

Sit down at night for drinking, stand and drink at day.

Edited by Haimi

It's allowed, but disliked. In some cultures it's considered unclean or even disgusting to the other diners. But you are allowed to use whichever hand you are comfortable using, so long as it isn't rude to anyone. 

I am left handed, never had a problem with this . Can't really pick up things with my right hand, so I use my left hand.  I agree with Notme, it's fine as long as you aren't offending anyone.

@notme I don't understand how it can makruh, I didn't choose to be left handed. 

37 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

I am left handed, never had a problem with this . Can't really pick up things with my right hand, so I use my left hand.  I agree with Notme, it's fine as long as you aren't offending anyone.

@notme I don't understand how it can makruh, I didn't choose to be left handed. 

Isn't being left handed a thing that develops? Like you can improve your right hand. Idk im left handed myself. Also maybe it's only makruh for people who are right handed.

52 minutes ago, Ali al-Abdullah said:

Isn't being left handed a thing that develops? Like you can improve your right hand. Idk im left handed myself. Also maybe it's only makruh for people who are right handed.

Not really, but a left handed person can practice and become competent using their right hand. 

^^^^ This is how l changed eating from left to right:

Hold a fork in your left hand and another in your right. Every move you make with your left do the same with your right at the same time -only your right hand is working with the food.

I completely changed over in 1 and 1/2 meals.

Do the same with spoons.