Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
laylacat

Hijab - Is it compulsory?

Rate this topic

Salam brothers and sisters,

I converted several months ago and almost immediately began wearing hijab. To me it just felt like the next logical step. I love wearing it although I do have some bad hijab days where I wish I could just take it off but then I remind myself I'm wearing it for Allah and me and no one else and it helps me feel closer to Allah. 

I'm just wondering what other people's opinions on hijab are. I have met several women who claim to be converts and some who were born Muslim and still are. They don't wear hijab, some do not dress very modestly at all. I don't know what they do behind closed doors and I would not judge someone's faith just because they don't wear a scarf on their head, I'm not claiming that because I wear hijab I am a better Muslim than they are, but I always feel a little doubtful like even if they are practicing and doing absolutely everything asked of them, why not take that next step and cover yourself? I don't wear a potato sack, I still dress I guess in a pretty western style but I made a few changes - jeans, long tops, long sleeves, high necks, loose fitting... but I still have my own style and my scarf is just another part of that now it's natural to put it on. I would never be one to want to force people to wear something they don't want to I'm just curious to see other people's views on hijab. 

Do you think its compulsory? For my sisters out there, do you wear it? If so, why? If not, why? And do you subconsciously judge/question people who don't wear it? I hope no one gets upset by this question. 

Guest silasun

Salaam Alaikum

I am not a sister, but I have a few contributions. Apologies if you were looking for other responses.

It is fully possible to wear hijab and look smart and be functioning in society. We know that the "best hijab" (not the minimum, but the recommended) would not always be appropriate to wear in the West to work etc, just as the "best dress for men" (white clothes, light coloured shoes...) won't always be appropriate to wear in the West. However, you need to make sure you hit the minimum threshold (and sometimes you need to be a bit more conservative than usual to hit that threshold) but you don't need to do the recommended extras.

Hijab is something that is well established in all Islamic schools. There is a video of Zahra al-Alawi explaining why (please search because I don't want to clog up the post with embedded videos).

Judging others is not allowed in Islam because it is possible that the person who you judge has many good deeds they do which will mean Allah forgives their sin, but you looking down on them means you earn God's punishment. Actually, we shouldn't even "look down" on an atheist because their future spiritual reform may cause our own spiritual downfall.

If somebody is not wearing hijab, you can be a positive influence on them. You can even give some kind advice in a friendly manner out of sheer friendship and care for youe friends. But it is not possible for a person to judge others and at the same time guide other people- guidance is impossible when the guide looks down on you. I think that should be clear if we reflect on Qur'anic stories of the missions of Prophets, and reflect on some Shia hadiths on the topic.

I really think posts like these are inspiring. I guess I am quite jealous (in a totally halal way!) of non born Muslims who found their own way to God. I saw a campaign on AhlulBayt TV called MyHijab which was absolutely fascinating. This video was awesome:

Hijab is to cover the chest. Qulnus is to cover the head.

عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌ السلام قال : قال أمير المؤمنين عليه‌ السلام : إذا ظهرت القلانس المتركة ظهر الزنا

عن مسعدة بن زياد ، عن جعفر بن محمّد ، عن أبيه أنّ رسول الله صلى‌الله‌ عليه‌ وآله قال : إذا ظهرت القلانس المتركة ظهر الزنا

Always remember the below

1. Ignore what others do and do what is right no matter what label they have on them. Its the actions that count. 

2. Sadly alot of muslims like to cherry pick and justify with their own limited knowledge what Allah wanted and what he didnt.

Its very clear what is required and not, too much subjectivity. 

On 10/4/2016 at 5:08 PM, Alzaynebia313 said:

First of all, I'm glad you converted into Islam and chose Shiasm (I'm assuming you did). I'm a Muslim born female and therefore the hijab was something I was born and raised to see all around me. For me, it was the norm. I wore it at eight years old which was pretty young to some people but my friends were planning on wearing it so I did too. Back then, hijab to me was so simple. I would wear my normal clothes with a scarf. As I grew up I started noticing (especially in these years) a lot of girls are straying away from what the ideal hijab should be and are being highly influenced by western ways of dressing. Some even resorted to abandoning the hijab completely. Things like this make me question why a person would be driven to do this? In shia Islam it is absolutely compulsory to wear the hijab, and not just slap a scarf on your head but to actually practise modest dressing and actions. Some of my Sunni friends say hijab isn't compulsory whilst others think hijab even goes as far as Niqab and is the compulsory. 

So what influences someone to completely abandon an important aspect of their religion? Why follow the humans and disobey the Creator? Which reminds me of the Hadith: (لا طاعة لمخلوق في معصية الخالق)

I agree with you, if you're following a certain religion and aiming for nearness to Allah might as well go the full way. As for subconsciously judging, we're humans and unfortunately we do have this trait. Do you subconsciously judge? As a revert how do you feel when seeing Muslim women not practising hijab? Does it make you re-consider the importance of hijab? 

Thank you - yes I converted to Shiasm alhamdulilah! 

When I see other Muslim not wearing hijab I don't reconsider the importance of hijab I just wonder why they haven't chosen to wear it when me, as a very recent revert, could take that step. I don't think I'm better than them for wearing it it just confuses me when I see women with everything hanging out, no modesty whatsoever not just about the scarf but short shorts and crop tops that kind of thing... yet they call themselves proud Muslims. Hey maybe they are better Muslims than me but in my view modesty (in how we dress AND how we act and talk) is an important part of our religion. I see hijab as compulsory and I see it as an honour to be able to wear it and represent Islam and show the world how proud and grateful I am to be Muslim. I have a son but hopefully one day I'll have a daughter and while she'll be raised in a western culture I want her to see the beauty and the importance of hijab and practice modesty because its part of Islam and I want her to be proud to be a Muslim woman and proud to wear hijab and to put faith before fashion and how our western society encourages us to dress (Women here are applauded for stripping down and having 'confidence' but if we cover ourselves oh well we must be oppressed... it takes strength to wear hijab and to be modest when most of the country puts you down and makes nasty comments about being fully covered) 

What the Western bigots refuse to acknowledge is that a hijab is another standard for decent dress.

If it really was so offensive to them, they would scalp their madonnas, 'saints' and all on their statures and in their paintings.

But other religions have head coverings. Why not them also?

On 9/25/2016 at 1:12 AM, laylacat said:

And do you subconsciously judge/question people who don't wear it? 

When I see a Muslim woman without hijab, I don't feel bad about her because she must be oppressed to think she cannot wear it. I always think she will change her mind later, inshaAllah. 

On 10/12/2016 at 7:59 AM, hasanhh said:

What the Western bigots refuse to acknowledge is that a hijab is another standard for decent dress.

If it really was so offensive to them, they would scalp their madonnas, 'saints' and all on their statures and in their paintings.

But other religions have head coverings. Why not them also?

Your post reminds me of this image showing that hijab is not only in the Holy Qur'an but in the Holy Bible: 

Scarf Christian Muslim.jpg

I grew up in a small town (in east side of world) when very few muslim women around me who wore scarf/veil. my mum, grandma, aunties, cousins used to not wearing it, even today women in my fam wear it sometimes (not regularly). Principally parents and brothers never force me to cover my hair but dress modestly and act politely. as years gone by, when i moved to the city, i decide to train my self. I do, but not strictly, been on process. not simply do stuff cause it's dogmatic, otherwise cause of profound understanding. Im not claiming i am the master n gettin better xD

Veil/scarf also are being a commodity of capitalist today. at least in my country, in late six years, lots of girls/women massively wear em due to fashion style and influences of actresses/"instant muslimah" figures. pathetic?.. Idk whether i should feel proud or bad upon the situations. Lol ✌️

glad u r a revert xx