Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
mostafa.askari

Can a Muslim women marry a Christian?

Rate this topic

Allah says: “وَلَن يَجْعَلَ اللَّـهُ لِلْكَافِرِينَ عَلَى الْمُؤْمِنِينَ سَبِيلًا…”

…never will Allah give the disbelievers over the believers a way [to overcome them].[the Quran 4:141]

The above mentioned verse denotes a rule which is expressed in Islamic jurisprudence. This rule is called قاعدة نفی السبیل (the rule of negation of way).

Therefore, according to this rule, muslim man cannot marry a non-Muslim woman and a Muslim woman cannot marry a non-Muslim man in permanent or temporary marriage. When it comes to temporary marriage, a Muslim man can marry a Christian (or Jewish) woman but a Muslim woman cannot marry a non-Muslim man.

For more info visit: http://www.islamportal.net/question/can-muslim-marry-christian

http://www.sistani.org/english/book/46/2062/

:salam:

Muslim men can marry women of the scriputres (those adhering to the abrahamic religion), as seen in surah al-mai'dah in the quran (i included verse 4 and 5):

"They ask you, [O Muhammad], what has been made lawful for them. Say, "Lawful for you are [all] good foods and [game caught by] what you have trained of hunting animals which you train as Allah has taught you. So eat of what they catch for you, and mention the name of Allah upon it, and fear Allah ." Indeed, Allah is swift in account. This day [all] good foods have been made lawful, and the food of those who were given the Scripture is lawful for you and your food is lawful for them. And [lawful in marriage are] chaste women from among the believers and chaste women from among those who were given the Scripture before you, when you have given them their due compensation, desiring chastity, not unlawful sexual intercourse or taking [secret] lovers. And whoever denies the faith - his work has become worthless, and he, in the Hereafter, will be among the losers."

Though I can't help but wonder whether God means to address those who believe in Him without taking partners (trinity). Would that make current christian women unlawful? Here's sistani's opinion on interfaith marriage (involving women of the book):  

"A Muslim man is allowed to marry a Christian or a Jewish woman in temporary marriage. Based on precaution, it is obligatory to refrain from marrying a non-Muslim woman in permanent marriage.A Muslim man is not allowed to marry, neither permanently nor temporarily a non-Muslim woman who is not among Ahlul Kitab. " 

You can verify this in the link you provided. Regardless, I don't see how the verse you mentioned is relevant to marriage. It's tangential. 

I did double check the tafsir just in case. This is what it says in tafsir al-mizan about (part of) the verse you quoted: 

QUR'AN: So Allah shall judge between you on the Day of Resurrection; and Allah will by no means give the unbelievers a way against the believers: The verse is addressed to the believers although the judgment will cover the hypocrites and the unbelievers as well. The sentence, "and Allah will by no means give the unbelievers a way against the believers", means that the judgment on that day will be in favor of the believers and against the unbelievers; and this reality will never change. This deprives the unbelievers of any hope because on the last day the believers will be triumphant over the unbelievers.

Possibly the declaration, that the unbelievers will not be given a way against the believers, covers both worlds - this and the hereafter - because the believers will always be victorious as long as they adhere to the demands of their faith. Allah says: And be not infirm, and be not grieving, and you shall have the upper hand if you are believers (3:139).

http://www.almizan.org/ 

Below is what sayyid tabtabi has to say about the verse I quoted. I should mention, he writes more than what you see here, but I think what I included is enough to make my point: 

QUR'AN: and the chaste (ones) from among the believing women and the chaste (ones) from among those who have been given the Book before you (are lawful for you): The description of the group using the verb (i.e. among those who have been given the Book), instead of saying, from the Jews and the Christians or even saying, from the People of the Book, points in a way to the reason of the law; because Allah wants to show His favor and to ease the burden from the believers. The meaning: We have done you a favor by easing the burden by removing the prohibition of marriage between your men and the chaste women of those who have been given the Book before you, because they are nearest to you of all the non-Muslim communities, as they were given the Book and they had believed in One God and the prophets, in contrast to the Idol-worshippers and polytheists who disbelieve in the prophets. Probably, it is for this reason that "those who have been given the Book" is followed by the words "before you"; it clearly indicates a mixing and intermingling.

Be as it may. The verse describes the favor of Allah and relaxation of rule; such a law cannot be made subject to abrogation. There are two verses which seem to contradict this relaxed law: And do not marry the idolatress until they believe (2:221); and hold not to the ties of marriage of unbelieving women (60:10). But these two verses cannot abrogate the verse under discussion because the first verse is in the chapter of "The Cow" and it was the first detailed chapter which came down in Medina long before the chapter of "The Table"; and the second one is in the chapter of "The Woman Tested" and it was revealed in Medina before the conquest of Mecca, that is, more than two years before the revelation of the chapter of "The Table". Therefore, the earlier revealed verses cannot abrogate a verse revealed later. Moreover, the traditions say that the chapter of "The Table" was the last chapter revealed to the Prophet (s.a.w.); it has abrogated some previous laws but nothing has abrogated this chapter. Apart from that, you have seen in the exegesis of the verse 2:221 that these two verses (of "The Cow" and "The Woman Tested") are not concerned at all with the subject of the marriage with a Christian or a Jewish woman.

As for women, I don't remember ever coming across a verse forbidding the marriage between muslim women and men of the book. I do remember it forbids the marriage between muslim women and unbelievers. Likewise, as mentioned in Sayyid tabtabi's tafsir, men are told not to marry unbelieving women. However, as seen in the case of men, unbelievers might not necessarily be an umbrella term that includes men of the scriptures. Note: not remembering something does not mean it doesn't exist! I'm currently searching the internet to pinpoint a verse that specifically speaks about men of the scripture. Or even an authentic hadith :) 

I also thought to mention, many jews and christians are believers only by name. If they really understood their faiths their lifestyles would be a lot different and very similar to that of (practicing) muslims. 

I'll come back once I complete my reading 

:ws:

P.S.: I take no offence in being corrected. I welcome it :)

15 minutes ago, yusur317 said:

:salam:

Muslim men can marry women of the scriputres (those adhering to the abrahamic religion), as seen in surah al-mai'dah in the quran (i included verse 4 and 5):

"They ask you, [O Muhammad], what has been made lawful for them. Say, "Lawful for you are [all] good foods and [game caught by] what you have trained of hunting animals which you train as Allah has taught you. So eat of what they catch for you, and mention the name of Allah upon it, and fear Allah ." Indeed, Allah is swift in account. This day [all] good foods have been made lawful, and the food of those who were given the Scripture is lawful for you and your food is lawful for them. And [lawful in marriage are] chaste women from among the believers and chaste women from among those who were given the Scripture before you, when you have given them their due compensation, desiring chastity, not unlawful sexual intercourse or taking [secret] lovers. And whoever denies the faith - his work has become worthless, and he, in the Hereafter, will be among the losers."

Though I can't help but wonder whether God means to address those who believe in Him without taking partners (trinity). Would that make current christian women unlawful? Here's sistani's opinion on interfaith marriage (involving women of the book):  

"A Muslim man is allowed to marry a Christian or a Jewish woman in temporary marriage. Based on precaution, it is obligatory to refrain from marrying a non-Muslim woman in permanent marriage.A Muslim man is not allowed to marry, neither permanently nor temporarily a non-Muslim woman who is not among Ahlul Kitab. " 

You can verify this in the link you provided. Regardless, I don't see how the verse you mentioned is relevant to marriage. It's tangential. 

I did double check the tafsir just in case. This is what it says in tafsir al-mizan about (part of) the verse you quoted: 

QUR'AN: So Allah shall judge between you on the Day of Resurrection; and Allah will by no means give the unbelievers a way against the believers: The verse is addressed to the believers although the judgment will cover the hypocrites and the unbelievers as well. The sentence, "and Allah will by no means give the unbelievers a way against the believers", means that the judgment on that day will be in favor of the believers and against the unbelievers; and this reality will never change. This deprives the unbelievers of any hope because on the last day the believers will be triumphant over the unbelievers.

Possibly the declaration, that the unbelievers will not be given a way against the believers, covers both worlds - this and the hereafter - because the believers will always be victorious as long as they adhere to the demands of their faith. Allah says: And be not infirm, and be not grieving, and you shall have the upper hand if you are believers (3:139).

http://www.almizan.org/ 

Below is what sayyid tabtabi has to say about the verse I quoted. I should mention, he writes more than what you see here, but I think what I included is enough to make my point: 

QUR'AN: and the chaste (ones) from among the believing women and the chaste (ones) from among those who have been given the Book before you (are lawful for you): The description of the group using the verb (i.e. among those who have been given the Book), instead of saying, from the Jews and the Christians or even saying, from the People of the Book, points in a way to the reason of the law; because Allah wants to show His favor and to ease the burden from the believers. The meaning: We have done you a favor by easing the burden by removing the prohibition of marriage between your men and the chaste women of those who have been given the Book before you, because they are nearest to you of all the non-Muslim communities, as they were given the Book and they had believed in One God and the prophets, in contrast to the Idol-worshippers and polytheists who disbelieve in the prophets. Probably, it is for this reason that "those who have been given the Book" is followed by the words "before you"; it clearly indicates a mixing and intermingling.

Be as it may. The verse describes the favor of Allah and relaxation of rule; such a law cannot be made subject to abrogation. There are two verses which seem to contradict this relaxed law: And do not marry the idolatress until they believe (2:221); and hold not to the ties of marriage of unbelieving women (60:10). But these two verses cannot abrogate the verse under discussion because the first verse is in the chapter of "The Cow" and it was the first detailed chapter which came down in Medina long before the chapter of "The Table"; and the second one is in the chapter of "The Woman Tested" and it was revealed in Medina before the conquest of Mecca, that is, more than two years before the revelation of the chapter of "The Table". Therefore, the earlier revealed verses cannot abrogate a verse revealed later. Moreover, the traditions say that the chapter of "The Table" was the last chapter revealed to the Prophet (s.a.w.); it has abrogated some previous laws but nothing has abrogated this chapter. Apart from that, you have seen in the exegesis of the verse 2:221 that these two verses (of "The Cow" and "The Woman Tested") are not concerned at all with the subject of the marriage with a Christian or a Jewish woman.

As for women, I don't remember ever coming across a verse forbidding the marriage between muslim women and men of the book. I do remember it forbids the marriage between muslim women and unbelievers. Likewise, as mentioned in Sayyid tabtabi's tafsir, men are told not to marry unbelieving women. However, as seen in the case of men, unbelievers might not necessarily be an umbrella term that includes men of the scriptures. Note: not remembering something does not mean it doesn't exist! I'm currently searching the internet to pinpoint a verse that specifically speaks about men of the scripture. Or even an authentic hadith :) 

I also thought to mention, many jews and christians are believers only by name. If they really understood their faiths their lifestyles would be a lot different and very similar to that of (practicing) muslims. 

I'll come back once I complete my reading 

:ws:

P.S.: I take no offence in being corrected. I welcome it :)

Jews and Christians are kuffar and unbelievers in our Fiqh. The term believer is only worthy for Shi'a Muslims.

6 minutes ago, yusur317 said:

Image result for squinting gif

السؤال: ما هو تعريفكم للكافر؟

الجواب: الكافر ، و هو من لم ينتخل ديناً، أو انتحل ديناً غير الإسلام أو انتحل الإسلام و جحد ما يعلم أنه من الدين الإسلامي بحيث رجع جحده إلى إنكار الرسالة و لو في الجملة بأن يرجع إلى تكذيب النبي صلى الله عليه و آله في بعض ما بلغه عن الله تعالى في العقائد ـ كالمعاد ـ أو في غيرها كالأحكام الفرعية ، و أما إذا لم يرجع جحده إلى ذلك بأن كان بسبب بعده عن محيط المسلمين و جهله بأحكام هذا الدين فلا يحكم بكفره ، و أما الفرق الضالة المنتحلة للإسلام فتختلف الحال فيهم .

http://www.sistani.org/arabic/qa/0655/#5621

16 minutes ago, The Batman said:

الجواب: الكافر ، و هو من لم ينتخل ديناً، أو انتحل ديناً غير الإسلام أو انتحل الإسلام و جحد ما يعلم أنه من الدين الإسلامي بحيث رجع جحده إلى إنكار الرسالة و لو في الجملة بأن يرجع إلى تكذيب النبي صلى الله عليه و آله في بعض ما بلغه عن الله تعالى في العقائد ـ كالمعاد ـ أو في غيرها كالأحكام الفرعية ، و أما إذا لم يرجع جحده إلى ذلك بأن كان بسبب بعده عن محيط المسلمين و جهله بأحكام هذا الدين فلا يحكم بكفره ، و أما الفرق الضالة المنتحلة للإسلام فتختلف الحال فيهم .

Despite being an arabic speaker, I struggled understanding some of the words there. I put them in bold. To be truthful, all I understood is that anyone who isn't muslim, who denies (or lies about) the message of the prophet (pbuh) is a kafir. Isn't this speaking in terms of those who wish to identify as muslims?* Why isn't this in english! :(

Regardless, this is sistani's view. I got the previous quote from his website also. He's contradicting himself?

Edit: * though at the top it says al-kafir and kufr... so maybe not? 

Edited by yusur317

3 minutes ago, yusur317 said:

Despite being an arabic speaker, I struggled understanding some of the words there. I put them in bold. To be truthful, all I understood is that anyone who isn't muslim, who denies (or lies about) the message of the prophet (pbuh) is a kafir. Isn't this speaking in terms of those who wish to identify as muslims?* Why isn't this in english! :(

Regardless, this is sistani's view. I got the previous quote from his website also. He's contradicting himself?

Kafir is a person who hide the truth.

try to read its Loghat, refence book: Mofradat al-Ragheb Book

28 minutes ago, yusur317 said:

I will translate it for you.

Question: What is your defintion of a kafir?

Answer: The kafir, and it is he who has no religion, or chose a religion other than Islam, or he chose Islam but denied from Islam what he knows is from Islam etc...

The rest of it is basically saying whoever denies what is from Islam despite knowing it is from Islam, such as Day of Judgement or Salat, is also a kafir.

The part which I translated is the famous position of the scholars. Most scholars are more or less the same regarding this.

Also, just for knowledge, Sunnis are considered Muslim, but only the Shi'a are considered Mu'mins (believers) as per the Shi'a Fiqh.

Edited by The Batman

8 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Also, just for knowledge, Sunnis are considered Muslim, but only the Shi'a are considered Mu'mins (believers) as per the Shi'a Fiqh.

According to this answer of ayatollah sistani, the sunna are also kufar because they didnt follow the message of the holy prophet and they denied most of his teachings. The irony...

49 minutes ago, The Batman said:

رجع جحده إلى إنكار الرسالة و لو في الجملة بأن يرجع إلى تكذيب النبي صلى الله عليه و آله

7 minutes ago, yasahebalzaman.313 said:

According to this answer of ayatollah sistani, the sunna are also kufar because they didnt follow the message of the holy prophet and they denied most of his teachings. The irony...

Yeah, but the standard position of Sayyed Al-Sistani is that they are Muslim.

Edited by The Batman

Salam Alaykum

"Generally speaking, kafir can be divided into kafir from jurisprudential viewpoint and kafir from theological viewpoint, each having different types. Kafir from a jurisprudential perspective includes the original kafir, people of the book and murtadd [apostate]. People of the book are either at war with Muslim community or not at war with them. People of the book not at war with Muslim community are either zemmi [who pay a special tax, respect Islamic laws and do not state their beliefs] and non-zemmi. Kafir from theological viewpoint is divided into monotheistic kafir and non-monotheistic kafir."

• It is permitted for men to marry non-muslims only temporarily. (according to most marjas). But women are not permitted to marry them, not temporarily nor permanently. 
  • One final point: All kaffers may not have the same rulings. For example in accordance to some marjas Christians are pure; but other kuffar are impure.
Edited by mostafaa