Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Sighting of the moon in Ramadan

Rate this topic

Pro-Alid

4 hours ago, Pro-Alid said:

Salam,

How many witnesses are required to sight the moon? And does it make a difference if they are male or female?

Wa Alaykum al Salam

Question: What is the proof of sighting the moon?

Answer: The evidence could be one or more of the following:

1. You have sighted it yourself.

2. The testimony of two men of impeccable character, provided that you do not have any knowledge of instances that they may be wrong, and that you do not dispute their testimony.

3. The lapse of thirty days on the month of Sha’ban, thus reaching certitude that Sha’ban has come to an end and that Ramadhan shall commence.

4. When the news of the birth of the moon of Ramadhan becomes commonplace that you are sure of the sighting.

http://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01266/

Basically to answer your question, 2 witnesses of impeccable character (just people) are required. And they have to be just.

And the sighting of the new moon is not recognised by the evidence of women according to Sayyed al-Sistani.

Edited by The Batman

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, The Batman said:

And the sighting of the new moon is not recognised by the evidence of women according to Sayyed al-Sistani.

I have a question about this. If the report of a woman or two women is not evidence, does that mean a woman can't rely on herself as evidence? Does a female Muslim require the testimony of a man or two for moonsighting rather than sighting for herself? 

Also, what about testimony of a male child who is old enough to have some knowledge? 

I ask theses questions because I always try to sight the moon myself. Have I been doing wrong? I'm an astronomy hobbyist, so I never doubted my own judgement.

1 hour ago, notme said:

I have a question about this. If the report of a woman or two women is not evidence, does that mean a woman can't rely on herself as evidence? Does a female Muslim require the testimony of a man or two for moonsighting rather than sighting for herself? 

Also, what about testimony of a male child who is old enough to have some knowledge? 

I ask theses questions because I always try to sight the moon myself. Have I been doing wrong? I'm an astronomy hobbyist, so I never doubted my own judgement.

Your witnessing of the Hilal for yourself is correct. The rulings I brought are general rulings, but it may be that some specific cases of female witnessing can be used as proof when one is satisfied with their reports.

For this it is better to check with your marja.

Edited by The Batman

• Advanced Member
22 hours ago, The Batman said:

Wa Alaykum al Salam

Basically to answer your question, 2 witnesses of impeccable character (just people) are required. And they have to be just.

Sorry, but is that not contradictory? Sistani says that the witnesses must be 2 men so where did you get the 'just people' part from?

• Moderators

I'm curious about the reasoning too. Are men's eyes different from women's? And why can a woman take her own sighting but a man can't accept a sighting by his wife or daughter or mother? 

I'll accept it since I'm not a religious scholar. I don't understand the logic. I wish marjae would explain their rulings. 

7 hours ago, Pro-Alid said:

So if 100 women sight the moon it cannot be accepted because we need 2+ men?

6 hours ago, notme said:

I'm curious about the reasoning too. Are men's eyes different from women's? And why can a woman take her own sighting but a man can't accept a sighting by his wife or daughter or mother? 

I'll accept it since I'm not a religious scholar. I don't understand the logic. I wish marjae would explain their rulings. 

Apparently if satisfaction can be gained from the evidence of women, then it would be accepted. 

Like I said, I brought forth general rulings. If there are cases where one is completely satisfied with what the women brought forth from evidence, then it would suffice (according to Sistani).

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, The Batman said:

Apparently if satisfaction can be gained from the evidence of women, then it would be accepted. 

Like I said, I brought forth general rulings. If there are cases where one is completely satisfied with what the women brought forth from evidence, then it would suffice (according to Sistani).

Where did Sistani say that 'if satisfaction can be gained from the evidence of women, then it would be accepted'?

Also, why is the satisfaction any more guaranteed from men than women?

Edited by Pro-Alid

19 minutes ago, Pro-Alid said:

Where did Sistani say that 'if satisfaction can be gained from the evidence of women, then it would be accepted'?

Also, why is the satisfaction any more guaranteed from men than women?

إذا شهد لدى الانسان - برؤية الهلال - زوجته وبناته واخواته وامثالهن ممن يثق بهن ويعتمد عليهن ، فهل تكون شهادتهن ماضية لديه ويجب عليه ترتيب الاثار على شهادتهن إذا لم تبلغ حدّ الشياع ؟

الجواب: إذا حصل له الاطمئنان برؤية الهلال عمل وفق اطمئنانه والاّ فلا عبرة بشهادة
.النساء في هذا المورد .
Edited by The Batman