Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Reza

Battle! #7 Mercy vs Justice!

Rate this topic

Poll #7  

23 members have voted

1. 1. If one characteristic had to predominate over the other within yourself, which would you prefer?

On the day of judgement (as humanbeing101 says) I'm going to be begging for Divine mercy for myself (for sure). If I face only the pure Justice of God in this life and the next then it's game over for me frankly.

Went with justice in the poll. Between humans we need more justice (in terms of the past and present we have a massive justice deficit in our earthly affairs).

Edited by Abdul-Hussein

You can't have one without the other, but in myself I am more likely to give second, third, fourth chances. So I guess I'm naturally more merciful than just, so I'd have to choose to increase justice in myself if I were increasing only one. 

But no, I pick mercy because I like me as I am. 

7 minutes ago, notme said:

But no, I pick mercy because I like me as I am. 

members should know that one time, I took one of @notme figs from her garden, and she stabbed me in the back of my hand with a fork. 

2 minutes ago, DigitalUmmah said:

members should know that one time, I took one of @notme figs from her garden, and she stabbed me in the back of my hand with a fork. 

I said there is no mercy without justice! 

It's funny that there is thread on this as my last class with Rebecca was on Adl. 

Imam Ali (as) was once asked which was better, justice or generosity, to which he replied,

'Justice puts things in their rightful place, whereas generosity takes them away from their course.  Justice is a general predominant state, where generosity is a transient characteristic.  Justice is therefore the nobler of the two.'

The Qualities of a Just Person

The Prophet SAWA said, 'He who treats people in such a way that he never wrongs them, and speaks to them and never lies to them, and when he makes a promise to them he never breaks it, such a person is perfect in his valorous qualities, his justice is manifest, and it becomes obligatory to consider him as one's broter and prohibited to backbite him.'

5 hours ago, FreeSpirit said:

It's funny that there is thread on this as my last class with Rebecca was on Adl. 

Imam Ali (as) was once asked which was better, justice or generosity, to which he replied,

'Justice puts things in their rightful place, whereas generosity takes them away from their course.  Justice is a general predominant state, where generosity is a transient characteristic.  Justice is therefore the nobler of the two.'

Lets not take things out of context. The kind of generosity mentioned above is perhaps referring to a ruler's abuse of power in the name of generosity. Mercy is altogether a different trait from generosity imho. Mercy, in its true form, is shown after justice has put things in their rightful course. For example, when a judge has sentenced a murderer to death in an Islamic state, parents of the deceased will have the power to forgive and spare the life of the criminal. This is not generosity. This is mercy. Former may ignore the criminal act. Latter does not, yet forgives. Similarly, when every soul sees the right and wrong on the day of judgement (Justice served), it may still be hopeful of God's mercy (not generosity, for that would have been true if God forgave everyone without revealing truth about their actions in this temporary life). 

I love justice. But if I have to chose between the two, I will chose mercy for that is what I expect from Allah on the day of judgement.

Mercy and justice are two names of God and all of God's Names are all beautiful, all great, all high, all majestic. I don't prefer one name over another of God. Because God is the Ultimate of each name...so ultimate mercy is ultimate justice.

Where mercy is suitable, than God's Name commands mercy, and where justice is more suitable, God's Name commands justice, but his Name is One name....this is the reality of God's words to the Angels "And your God is One God, so don't take me as two gods and me should you fear", meaning the one you fear is the one you hope in, don't think these are two aspects of me dividing my essence, one part you fear in and one part you hope in, rather realize the same essence that you are in awe of is the same essence that your in love with and have familiarity and serenity in, the divisions are presented in veils and are part of the balance, and God reveals himself in veils...but in reality we should never prefer one name of God over another.  

Well, Justice is part of Allah's mercy, not?

Since Justice is what we exactly deserve, but Mercy is something given above and beyond what we deserve,

Mercy is including justice and more.

But there are others who say other way around.

They say mercy is part of Allah's justice.

Because even no matter how much mercy Allah gives, it is still Justice and never goes too far in forgiveness to the point of injustice.

What do you think?  (^_^)

Edited by ema