In the Name of God بسم الله

Hadith on non-Muslims entering masjid

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

:salam:

I was wondering if we have any ahadith from our Imams (a.s) regarding the prohibition of non-Muslims entering the masjids. 

There are some people I know who invite non-Muslims for their nikaah ceremony in the masjid, with excuses like: How will the non-Muslim feel while being left out to sit alone? Or how will the non-Muslim know about our religion when we close our worshipping areas on them? They need to be in such places so as to feel comfortable and that gives them a chance to raise questions about our faith etc.

Any reliable hadith that you know of?

On 9/1/2016 at 2:31 PM, Inquisitor said:

I was wondering if we have any ahadith from our Imams (a.s) regarding the prohibition of non-Muslims entering the masjids. 

There are some people I know who invite non-Muslims for their nikaah ceremony in the masjid, with excuses like: How will the non-Muslim feel while being left out to sit alone? Or how will the non-Muslim know about our religion when we close our worshipping areas on them? They need to be in such places so as to feel comfortable and that gives them a chance to raise questions about our faith etc.

Normally in western countries, Islamic centers have a specific area for salat , where the Seegah of masjid is recited, only that area they cannot enter. The rest of the place is permissible according to fiqh .

There are hadiths regarding the topic , but probably other members can assist , as I do not have access to it.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

Salamun alaykum.

According to the Fatwa of Ayat Allah Khamenei (in his Farsi website), if the presence of non-Muslims in the mosque does not lead to its desecration or its getting impure then it is allowed and Muslims can take them in the mosques as well. The same verdict applies for Holy Shrines.

The question and answer in Farsi:

وظیفه‌ی ما در مورد ورود اهل کتاب به مکان‌های مقدس مثل مساجد و حرم‌های مطهر چیست؟ آیا باید جلوگیری کنیم؟ پیروان کدام ادیان نمی‌توانند وارد مساجد مسلمین شوند؟
بردن غیرمسلمانان به مساجد جایز نیست؛ اما اگر این کار و حضور آنها در مساجد موجب بی‌احترامی یا نجس شدن مساجد نباشد، اشکالی ندارد. همچنین است حکم ورود این افراد به حرم معصومین علیهم‌السلام و امامزاده‌ها.

Source: http://farsi.khamenei.ir/news-content?id=28592#150

I have not found hadiths. But this is what Sayyed al-Sistani says (if it helps):

Question: Is it permissible for the people of Ahlul Kitãb and other non-Muslims to enter the mosques (masjid) and other Islamic places of worship [like husayniyya or imambargah which are not masjid]? And is it necessarily for us to enforce the hijãb on those [non-Muslim women] who do not observe hijãb and allow them to enter [the mosque or places of worship], if it is permissible?

Answer: Based on obligatory precaution, it is not permissible for them [i.e., non-Muslims] to enter themosque (masjid). As for their entering the places of worship, etc, there is no problem in it. If their entry [in imambargah or a husayniyya or a center] without hijãb is considered as a sign of disrespect, hijãb should be enforced on the [non-Muslim] women.

http://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01267/#14984

Edited by The Batman

• Advanced Member
21 hours ago, IbnSina said:

Salam,

Good question, I have never thought about this. Looking forward to answers!

I am shocked no one on this site knows of the Christians of Najran whom the Prophet invited to pray in the mosque:

"The visit of Najran Christians is mentioned in the authentic hadith books

The event that a delegation of Christians from Najran (in Yemen) came to Madina to discuss a matter with Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and asked him about Prophet Isa is mentioned in the following hadiths that are authentic:

“Hudhaifa reported that the people of najran came to Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and said: Allah's Messenger, send along with us a man of trust; whereupon he said: I would definitely send to you a man of trust, a man of trust in the true sense of the term. Thereupon his Companions looked up eagerly and he sent Abu Ubaida b. Jarrah.”  (Abu Dawood: 31: 5949; Muslim: 31: 5949)

“Narrated Hudhaifa: Al-'Aqib and Saiyid, the rulers of najran, came to Allah's Apostle with the intention of doing Lian one of them said to the other, "Do not do (this Lian) for, by Allah, if he is a Prophet and we do this Lian, neither we, nor our offspring after us will be successful." Then both of them said (to the Prophet ), "We will give what you should ask but you should send a trustworthy man with us, and do not send any person with us but an honest one." The Prophet said, "I will send an honest man who Is really trustworthy." Then every one of the companions of Allah's Apostle wished to be that one. Then the Prophet said, "Get up, O Abu 'Ubaida bin Al-Jarrah." When he got up, Allah's Apostle said, "This is the Trustworthy man of this (Muslim) nation."  (Bukhari: 59: 663)

Nevertheless, the event that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) allowed them worship in the masjid during this visit is not mentioned in the hadiths; however it is cited in various tafseer books such as al Jamiu li Ahkam al Quran (Imam Qurtubi), Tafser Ibn Kather, Tafseer al Munir (Wahba al Zuhayli); in the explanation section of Kutub al Sitta and many Islamic books as a quote from the famous book “Al Sirah Al Nabawiyyah” by Muhammad bin Ishaq as a narration from Muhammad bin Jafar bin az Zubayr.

The visit of the Najran is cited in the interpretation of the 1- 61 verses of Surah Al-I Imran in tafseer books. We would like to quote the interpretation of the 61th verse of Surah Al-I Imran in Ibn Kather Tafseer:

“The reason for the call to Mubahalah and the revelation of the Ayat from the beginning of this Surah (Surah al-I Imran) until here (61th verse), is that a delegation from the Christians of Najran (in Yemen) came to Al-Madinah to argue about `Isa, claiming that he was divine and the son of Allah. Allah sent down the beginning of this Surah until here, to refute their claims, as Imam Muhammad bin Ishaq bin Yasar and other scholars stated"

Source:http://askaquestionto.us/question-answer/miscellaneous/hadith-about-najran-christians-praying-in-the-masjid

Edited by Enlightened Follower

11 hours ago, Enlightened Follower said:

I am shocked no one on this site knows of the Christians of Najran whom the Prophet invited to pray in the mosque:

"The visit of Najran Christians is mentioned in the authentic hadith books

The event that a delegation of Christians from Najran (in Yemen) came to Madina to discuss a matter with Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and asked him about Prophet Isa is mentioned in the following hadiths that are authentic:

“Hudhaifa reported that the people of najran came to Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and said: Allah's Messenger, send along with us a man of trust; whereupon he said: I would definitely send to you a man of trust, a man of trust in the true sense of the term. Thereupon his Companions looked up eagerly and he sent Abu Ubaida b. Jarrah.”  (Abu Dawood: 31: 5949; Muslim: 31: 5949)

“Narrated Hudhaifa: Al-'Aqib and Saiyid, the rulers of najran, came to Allah's Apostle with the intention of doing Lian one of them said to the other, "Do not do (this Lian) for, by Allah, if he is a Prophet and we do this Lian, neither we, nor our offspring after us will be successful." Then both of them said (to the Prophet ), "We will give what you should ask but you should send a trustworthy man with us, and do not send any person with us but an honest one." The Prophet said, "I will send an honest man who Is really trustworthy." Then every one of the companions of Allah's Apostle wished to be that one. Then the Prophet said, "Get up, O Abu 'Ubaida bin Al-Jarrah." When he got up, Allah's Apostle said, "This is the Trustworthy man of this (Muslim) nation."  (Bukhari: 59: 663)

Nevertheless, the event that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) allowed them worship in the masjid during this visit is not mentioned in the hadiths; however it is cited in various tafseer books such as al Jamiu li Ahkam al Quran (Imam Qurtubi), Tafser Ibn Kather, Tafseer al Munir (Wahba al Zuhayli); in the explanation section of Kutub al Sitta and many Islamic books as a quote from the famous book “Al Sirah Al Nabawiyyah” by Muhammad bin Ishaq as a narration from Muhammad bin Jafar bin az Zubayr.

The visit of the Najran is cited in the interpretation of the 1- 61 verses of Surah Al-I Imran in tafseer books. We would like to quote the interpretation of the 61th verse of Surah Al-I Imran in Ibn Kather Tafseer:

“The reason for the call to Mubahalah and the revelation of the Ayat from the beginning of this Surah (Surah al-I Imran) until here (61th verse), is that a delegation from the Christians of Najran (in Yemen) came to Al-Madinah to argue about `Isa, claiming that he was divine and the son of Allah. Allah sent down the beginning of this Surah until here, to refute their claims, as Imam Muhammad bin Ishaq bin Yasar and other scholars stated"

Source:http://askaquestionto.us/question-answer/miscellaneous/hadith-about-najran-christians-praying-in-the-masjid

Those are Sunni hadiths.

12 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

I had read a hadith that I'm not certain if it was from Imam al-Redha who used some harsh words for the person who brings a non-Muslim in the masjid.

Please brothers, I really am looking for this hadith or something similar. @Nader Zaveri / @Qa'im

Also, some scholars view all the kuffar as najis. Perhaps this is a reason why they aren't allowed in?

• Advanced Member
On 9/3/2016 at 9:48 AM, The Batman said:

Also, some scholars view all the kuffar as najis. Perhaps this is a reason why they aren't allowed in?

I feel this topic is so complicated, brother. If all of kuffar are najis, then why do scholars allow us to eat food prepared by Ahl al-Kitaab? Aren't they kuffar as well?

I really hope we find some ahadith from masumeen (a.s) regarding the OP. 

4 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

I feel this topic is so complicated, brother. If all of kuffar are najis, then why do scholars allow us to eat food prepared by Ahl al-Kitaab? Aren't they kuffar as well?

I really hope we find some ahadith from masumeen (a.s) regarding the OP. 

They don't allow us to eat food that are prepared by them if they touched them with wet hands (this is only according to those who view Ahlul Kitab as najis).

Those who view them as tahir allow you to eat food prepared by the provided the food is halal.

• Veteran Member

So if a person is attracted to Islam but has not pronounced shahada yet, he/she could not go and enter a mosque to see how people pray ? 

I was muslim-checked a couple of times before entering shrines and mosques (they say I look western), I can assure you it is a real bad experience which could deter a person from turning back to Allah.

Anyone with a sincere intention should be allowed to enter a mosque, we should not prevent them from entering houses of Allah just because a rule said so. That would be a sin in my opinion.

Edited by realizm

• 7 years later...
  • Advanced Member
On 9/9/2016 at 2:48 AM, realizm said:

So if a person is attracted to Islam but has not pronounced shahada yet, he/she could not go and enter a mosque to see how people pray ? 

Salam, Masjid al Haram is an exception which disbelievers can enter to other mosques likewise Masjid Nabawi if they follow rules about following rules likewise keeping respect of mosques which their behaviour must be Sharia friendly or at least for understanding truth which as an example debate between Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) & Abil Awja has happened inside Masjid al Haram because Abil Awja has entered to Masjid al Haram for better understanding & removing his doubts not for disrespecting to holy place of mosque .

https://madrasahonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/M1-F2-Imam-Sadiqs-debate-with-Ibn-Awja.pdf