Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Source of Imam Ali a.s quote

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Salaam,

I have seen many supposed Imam Ali a.s quotes but two that I particularly like are "Life consists of two days, one for you and one against you. So when it's for you don't be proud or reckless, and when it's against you be patient, for both days are a test for you" and "It is in the changing of circumstances in life that the essence of man is revealed." However, I cannot find any references or sources to attribute these sayings to Imam Ali a.s. which leads me to believe that they were not actually said by him. If anyone could provide references/source for either of these quotes, I would be very very grateful.

Ya Ali Madad

• Forum Administrators
16 minutes ago, faz6 said:

Salaam,

I have seen many supposed Imam Ali a.s quotes but two that I particularly like are "Life consists of two days, one for you and one against you. So when it's for you don't be proud or reckless, and when it's against you be patient, for both days are a test for you" and "It is in the changing of circumstances in life that the essence of man is revealed."

Salam. This is similar, perhaps a difference in the English translation, from letter 72 by Imam Ali AS.

Now, you cannot go farther than the limit of your life, nor can you be given a livelihood which is not for you. Remember that this life consists of two days - a day for you and a day against you, and that the world is a house (changing) authorities. Whatever in it is for you will come to you despite your weakness; and whatever in it turns against you cannot be brought back despite your strength.

أَمَّا بَعْدُ، فَإِنَّكَ لَسْتَ بِسَابِق أَجَلَكَ، وَلاَ مَرْزوُق مَا لَيْسَ لَكَ. وَاعْلَمْ بِأنَّ الدَّهْرَ يَوْمَانِ: يَوْمٌ لَكَ وَيَوْمٌ عَلَيْكَ، وَأَنَّ الدُّنْيَا دَارُ دُوَل، فَمَا كَانَ مِنْهَا لَكَ أَتَاكَ عَلَى ضَعْفِكَ، وَمَا كَانَ مِنْهَا عَلَيْكَ لَمْ تَدْفَعْهُ بقُوَّتِكَ.

https://www.al-islam.org/nahjul-balagha-part-2-letters-and-sayings/letter-72-abdullah-ibn-al-abbas