Jump to content
In the Name of God بسم الله

Thoughts 2016-2017 (Archives)


Reza

Recommended Posts

  • Veteran Member
22 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

 

where the hell have you been jibby. I think I aged about 50 years when I saw the changes. the website is probably one or two notches above completely ruined now. "make SC great again!" yeah. a great screw up.

sigh. 

wait until you find out that the entire mod team and the entire development team (never mind us plebian users who are just meant to shut up and do as we are told) were not consulted at all, not told when it was happening or why it was happening or to what extent it was happening. 

personally I think we should just cut our losses and completely restore the website to a few days ago, and accept losing all new content since the change. losing a few days content is better than losing our old layout

It took a whole day for this to sink in! I had been away man, and I wished I had remained away....

They have made ShiaChat grate again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Administrators

^ if that's your actual car, do you want to be displaying your registration plate? Privacy issues etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

^ if that's your actual car, do you want to be displaying your registration plate? Privacy issues etc.

True that, edited the photo, and if anyone asks, no that is not my house.

Took 100+ photos like a madman though, this particular one is in front of this rich dude's house, lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/5/2017 at 2:58 AM, DigitalUmmah said:

Sorta like needle in a haystack. Salt in flour

 

On 5/5/2017 at 10:27 AM, Marbles said:

Like salt in flour (urdu: aatay mein namak barabar)

The phrase is employed to denote scarcity or negligibility.

Sometimes, depending on the context, it's also used with positive connotations. In that case the English equivalent will be "icing on the cake."

Shukria x 2

do you know where it's from? I don't really understand the context 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
17 minutes ago, eloquence said:

do you know where it's from? I don't really understand the context 

When kneading the flour (atta) for rotis salt is added to the flour to make better tasting rotis, a pinch of salt to a big bowl of flour. That's where the proverb comes from. 

Most people have stopped doing it these days due to positive correlation between salt intake and high blood pressure.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Administrators
1 hour ago, starlight said:

Most people have stopped doing it these days due to positive correlation between salt intake and high blood pressure.

According to wiki a pinch is 1/4 of a gramme. Is that quantity in a bowlful of flour really going to have a medical impact?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
45 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

According to wiki a pinch is 1/4 of a gramme. Is that quantity in a bowlful of flour really going to have a medical impact?

 The general idea is to adhere to a 'no added salt diet' which can lead to significant lowering of blood pressure if followed strictly. The salt in flour alone is not going to make much difference if you don't restrict salt in other foods. I think it gives a sense of false reassurance to the ill disciplined person that he is cutting some salt from his diet.

Reminds me of the time when some of my mother's friends came to our home, one of them visiting us after many years. As I got up to make tea she told me not to add sugar to tea as she is diabetic. Not satisfied she sends mum to the kitchen a few minutes later to remind me. As I am serving tea she asks again with a worried look,' you remembered not to put cheeni (sugar) in chai,baita? I am diabetic you know'. I later tried not to look as she helped herself to gulab jamans and a generous helping of carrot halwa while completely ignoring the fruits, baked chicken and savoury biscuits.:grin:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Administrators
2 hours ago, starlight said:

I later tried not to look as she helped herself to gulab jamans and a generous helping of carrot halwa while completely ignoring the fruits, baked chicken and savoury biscuits.

Ah yes, the old Diet Coke syndrome:

and_a_diet_coke_by_devil_angelali-d34bhc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Administrators
On 5/5/2017 at 8:37 PM, Shaykh Patience101 said:

@magma Is that new profile picture some really weird form of denial? Like some sort of protest against reality? 

Nah, I'm just thinking ahead. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Administrators
On 5/7/2017 at 1:47 AM, starlight said:

 The general idea is to adhere to a 'no added salt diet' which can lead to significant lowering of blood pressure if followed strictly. The salt in flour alone is not going to make much difference if you don't restrict salt in other foods. I think it gives a sense of false reassurance to the ill disciplined person that he is cutting some salt from his diet.

Reminds me of the time when some of my mother's friends came to our home, one of them visiting us after many years. As I got up to make tea she told me not to add sugar to tea as she is diabetic. Not satisfied she sends mum to the kitchen a few minutes later to remind me. As I am serving tea she asks again with a worried look,' you remembered not to put cheeni (sugar) in chai,baita? I am diabetic you know'. I later tried not to look as she helped herself to gulab jamans and a generous helping of carrot halwa while completely ignoring the fruits, baked chicken and savoury biscuits.:grin:

Seriously though. 

Take this, innocent looking package. A mug of soup from this gives you 11.3g of sugar and 1.2g of salt. I've come to the conclusion that anything out of a colourful packet or any kind of tin is a disaster.

IDShot_540x540.jpg

I now cook with this, per serving salt is 0.3g and sugar 0.2g.

IDShot_540x540.jpg

Admittedly for flavour, I also add the item below, which means another 0.2g of sugar per meal and 1.1g of salt. 

IDShot_540x540.jpg

I've found another cheat on the flavour front, but this has 8.4g of sugar per 100g. Luckily don't need to use much.

IDShot_540x540.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Veteran Member
11 hours ago, starlight said:

When kneading the flour (atta) for rotis salt is added --A fad around here is  Sea Salt. 

Most people have stopped doing it these days due to positive correlation between salt intake and high blood pressure.  

Personally, l think those "salt substitutes" actually make things taste better. Cost more, unless you look around, and there is way too much on potatoe chips.

https://authoritynutrition.com/how-much-sodium-per-day/   See the "About" for the who-behind-the-site.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
7 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

 

Yep, sorry. I'm going to go with Gaius's answer. 

If you're feeling like putting extra time and energy into it, take down the plate number and call it in.

And why isn't tagging working for me right now?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/05/2017 at 7:13 PM, notme said:

What language should I learn? My son wants me to study Russian with him, but I think Spanish would be more useful.  He says that depends on what I want to do: certainly if I want to get back into working as a civil engineer, Spanish would be more useful, but if I want to continue to pursue astronomy and rocket science, Russian would be better since the Russians have done so much in space already.  

Also, I know about 50 words each in Hungarian and Urdu, and enough Arabic to read/recite prayers and a few short surahs.  I probably already know at least 50 Spanish words too, though I wouldn't say I speak or understand it.  

Sister, no doubt in my mind, i would say Arabic.

The wealth of absolutely free, quality, and wholly sufficient resources would make this a worthy pursuit.

There are three short but comprehensive Madina Series books you could complete. A long with that, there is also a vocabularly anki-software [anki flash cards] with all the word lists from these books.  There are free pdf books of dictionaries, and further material, as well as endless video on the issue.

Benefits:

1. Begin to understand the Quran

2. Understand our wide corpus of ahadith , literature, and quality books.

3. Understand quality lecture's from ulema and speakers.

4. Understand news and a lot of material.

5. Understand dua's directly

6. Salah = on another level, dua's = on another level.

Check out the Arabic Sub-forum, there are quality threads with more information.

 

You remind me of Ibn Sina [Avicenna, the historical figure]. He was a polymath and absolutely engrossed in and in love with knowledge of all kinds. He had breadth, but depth too.

Edited by QuranandAhlulbayt
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

@LeftCoastMom.

Nope, that probably be murder and a terrible sin.  

Nothing wrong with giving the bird and a few choice words.

 

1 hour ago, notme said:

Yep, sorry. I'm going to go with Gaius's answer. 

If you're feeling like putting extra time and energy into it, take down the plate number and call it in.

And why isn't tagging working for me right now?

Well, I am glad I went to native cyberspace for a second opinion.

Their answers boiled down to :

yes

RPG's or they don't take you seriously.

:shifty:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Veteran Member

Now Leftie, @LeftCoastMom , you are not using your imagination.

You can use baking soda and vinegar to stink-up whatever them thar' tourists are gawking at.

Mercaptan would scare-em off.   :dwarf:<---gas leak

l wouldn't go shootin' any1. That will upset my pacifict nature.:woot:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Veteran Member

:furious:   :ranting:

Well, the news has another GET ANGRY story.

Nightly Business Report [PBS] tonight(08May) had a story about a mother dealing with her 14-year-old's  muscular dystrophy medication.

Her son was on an imported medication that cost $1200 per year .

Well, an American firm bought the rights, pushed it through the FDA's approval process and then charged $89,000 per year. Then this company was bought by PTC Therapeutics who now charge $35,000 per year.

PTC press release/spokesman said the company"s pricing is taken with "eligible patients" in mind.

Opine/Thought: When this was said, l thought "this is like 'eligible investors' " --where you need a million dollar account for "pay to play" in the investment scheme.

Edited by hasanhh
date added, grammar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...