Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Reza

Thoughts 2016-2017 (Archives)

Tired of exhausting all my energy to get my teenage sis to pray (especially when im not getting any support from other family members). Its time to take out the stick and drag her by the ear to the prayer mat. No other option.

Edited by Pearl178

1 hour ago, Christianlady said:

Salam Gaius l. Caesar,

This is why words matter. I did not say anything about America being founded sigh. I said, "The USA didn't become a great nation because of hatred, but because of love and creativity." There's a difference between founded and "become a great nation." They don't mean the same thing.

Do you even like most anything that I write to anybody? Of course you describe my "tone" negatively; that's no surprise to me or anybody else lol.

Again, when have I ever denied the evil done to Native Americans? There's a reason I believe Jesus Christ meant what He commands about loving neighbors as oneself. Yes, you and I benefit from what happened to the Native Americans, same as Arabs in Egypt today benefited from what their ancestors did to the Copts.

In 642 AD, the Arabs conquered Egypt, under the leadership of Amr Ibn al-Aas, a famous Arab military commander and companion of Islam’s Prophet Muhammad. The Arab invaders forced Egyptians to choose between embracing Islam, being killed, or paying a Jizyah* tax. Christians who opted not to renounce their faith were forced to pay a Jizyah.

http://www.copticsolidarity.org/2016/07/08/from-the-arab-invasion-to-the-arab-spring-christians-in-egypt-a-minority-under-siege-and-persecution/

Are Arabs today proud of it? I don't know. I'm not proud of what European immigrants and early Americans did to the Natives. :(God will judge them for the evil they did to the Natives.

I do love the great nation that the USA has become, due to love for freedom, love of learning, and creativity.

Peace and God bless you

Yes, we had our moments of creativity and maybe not love but definitely tolerance but the fact remains is that violence is a part of our history. You say that you don't deny it but whenever the subject of the mistreatment towards the natives in our history is discussed, you seem to be downplaying the horrors that happened.

Yes, I agree- words do matter and I don't really understand why you are trying to deflect your bad wording on me. I misunderstood and got the impression that you were saying that America was founded on "love and creativity", which isn't true.

That's on me but had your wording been better and clearer, I would not have misunderstood you. As for America becoming great because creativity and love,  I agree but I disagree with that statement at the same time.

We became "great" through violence, imperialism, segregation, greed and oppressing others too. I find it dishonest when people talk about love and tolerance, then turn around and lecture those who actually been wronged for using less than tolerant and forgiving words.

LeftCoastMom is not living in the past, she bears no ill will towards you but the US government still treats many native Americans like second class citizens today as a result of actions that have happened in the past.

Decisions that were decided in the past 150 years of history that continue affect people today is not living in the past.  So I don't know where you were going with that when you said  that your Native American friends  "don't hold it over the heads of white Americans". What does that even mean, please explain.

You know very well that I don't like your lecturing, preachy tone towards us at times and right now, after reading everything you  wrote, I feel sick to my stomach and at a loss for words. 

Yes, America is a "great" nation and like all nations, is built on suffering of others. Please don't downplay or marginalize the dark side of American history. 

6 hours ago, Christianlady said:

In 642 AD, the Arabs conquered Egypt, under the leadership of Amr Ibn al-Aas, a famous Arab military commander and companion of Islam’s Prophet Muhammad. The Arab invaders forced Egyptians to choose between embracing Islam, being killed, or paying a Jizyah* tax. Christians who opted not to renounce their faith were forced to pay a Jizyah.

http://www.copticsolidarity.org/2016/07/08/from-the-arab-invasion-to-the-arab-spring-christians-in-egypt-a-minority-under-siege-and-persecution/

Hello. Amr ibn al 'As (la) was a pagan idol worshipper and converted to Islam by political reasons. He was at first a staunch enemy of the Holy Prophet (pbuh&f) and Islam but he later converted just like many of the pagan Arabs after a while for fame and power. We Shias hate him. Just wanted to let you know.

5 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Yes, we had our moments of creativity and maybe not love but definitely tolerance but the fact remains is that violence is a part of our history. You say that you don't deny it but whenever the subject of the mistreatment towards the natives in our history is discussed, you seem to be downplaying the horrors that happened.

Yes, I agree- words do matter and I don't really understand why you are trying to deflect your bad wording on me. I misunderstood and got the impression that you were saying that America was founded on "love and creativity", which isn't true.

That's on me but had your wording been better and clearer, I would not have misunderstood you. As for America becoming great because creativity and love,  I agree but I disagree with that statement at the same time.

We became "great" through violence, imperialism, segregation, greed and oppressing others too. I find it dishonest when people talk about love and tolerance, then turn around and lecture those who actually been wronged for using less than tolerant and forgiving words.

LeftCoastMom is not living in the past, she bears no ill will towards you but the US government still treats many native Americans like second class citizens today as a result of actions that have happened in the past.

Decisions that were decided in the past 150 years of history that continue affect people today is not living in the past.  So I don't know where you were going with that when you said  that your Native American friends  "don't hold it over the heads of white Americans". What does that even mean, please explain.

You know very well that I don't like your lecturing, preachy tone towards us at times and right now, after reading everything you  wrote, I feel sick to my stomach and at a loss for words. 

Yes, America is a "great" nation and like all nations, is built on suffering of others. Please don't downplay or marginalize the dark side of American history. 

Salam Gaius l Caesar,

Again, I have never denied the evil things the early European immigrants and early Americans did to the Natives. Again, I believe God will judge them. My Native American friends don't hold white Americans of today responsible (don't hold it over the heads of white Americans) for the crimes of white Americans in the past. I'm grateful.

I am sorry I upset you and LeftCoastMom. It was not my intention. It is best if I leave you both in peace, so I will no longer write either you or LeftCoastMom, since it just seems to annoy y'all when I do.

May God greatly bless y'all with His amazing love, peace, wonderful lives, and all the best!!!

Peace

45 minutes ago, Ali al-Abdullah said:

Hello. Amr ibn al 'As (la) was a pagan idol worshipper and converted to Islam by political reasons. He was at first a staunch enemy of the Holy Prophet (pbuh&f) and Islam but he later converted just like many of the pagan Arabs after a while for fame and power. We Shias hate him. Just wanted to let you know.

Salam Ali al-Abdullah,

Thanks for letting me know. My Coptic friends don't have a problem as far as I know with Shia Muslims, but rather with the Sunni Muslims who persecute them. One reason why they immigrated to the USA is to have a better life than they currently can in the country of their ancestors. There are some Sunni Muslims in Egypt who do want to expel all the Copts. Other Sunni Muslims aren't violent towards them though, and strive to live together in peace.

Peace and God bless you

Just now, Christianlady said:

Salam Ali al-Abdullah,

Thanks for letting me know. My Coptic friends don't have a problem as far as I know with Shia Muslims, but rather with the Sunni Muslims who persecute them. One reason why they immigrated to the USA is to have a better life than they currently can in the country of their ancestors. There are some Sunni Muslims in Egypt who do want to expel all the Copts. Other Sunni Muslims aren't violent towards them though, and strive to live together in peace.

Peace and God bless you

No problem 

51 minutes ago, Christianlady said:

Salam Gaius l Caesar,

Again, I have never denied the evil things the early European immigrants and early Americans did to the Natives. Again, I believe God will judge them. My Native American friends don't hold white Americans of today responsible (don't hold it over the heads of white Americans) for the crimes of white Americans in the past. I'm grateful.

I am sorry I upset you and LeftCoastMom. It was not my intention. It is best if I leave you both in peace, so I will no longer write either you or LeftCoastMom, since it just seems to annoy y'all when I do.

May God greatly bless y'all with His amazing love, peace, wonderful lives, and all the best!!!

Peace

8 hours ago, Christianlady said:

Salam LeftCoastMom,

Thanks for sort of answering my question.

Death = death and is a curse to say to anyone or any group, no matter to whom one says it.

Ok so I have learned something new; that some Natives don't even want to be Americans. Interesting. Many people come to the USA from all over the world to immigrate to the USA, yet many Natives don't want to be American.

Thanks for answering my question.  I do love America for what she has become due to American people being from different ethnic groups from all over the world, from different religions and cultures uniting together as one nation. :)

True.

Its possible that if Natives had modern weapons, they could have fought off those with modern weapons. While I personally am a pacifist and believe fighting is disobeying Jesus Christ, obviously many Christians don't hold to that view and have sadly invented many weapons that are more deadly than bows/arrows, and spears. :(

I admit that I have benefited from what happened to natives. However, I am horrified and ashamed of what European immigrants and early Americans did to Natives, including what Christians did who disobeyed Jesus Christ's commands to love neighbors as oneself.

I don't have land. My hubby and I don't even own the house we rent lol.  And, the USA is where I was born. I wasn't born in England or Iran or Saudi Arabia or anywhere else.

I definitely can't; no probably about it.

Most land is stolen, Egypt is stolen land; the Arabs stole it from the Copts.  Should all the Arabs be expelled from Egypt and all their land given to the Copts?

My Coptic friends who immigrated to the USA (and they love the USA) from Egypt don't appreciate what the Arabs have done to "their" land, which is one reason why they immigrated. Another reason is because they have more opportunities and freedoms here than they do in their home country where their ancestors lived.

Do you forgive, like Jesus Christ said?

They don't "whitewash" the past, but they don't live in the past; they have forgiven the past because they love their fellow Americans. They don't hold the past over the head of every white American.

Agreed. Have I ever denied the evil done to Native Americans?

Protecting the water helps every American, no matter their ethnicity and origin.

It used to be a lot worse, sadly.

Great is being able to unite together as a nation to enjoy the  freedom of press, freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom of religion, and the ability to invent such amazing inventions such as airplane to air conditioning to the Internet.

The inventions that American people have made have made life better and easier for people around the world, and how did they do that? Out of love for learning and the ability to be creative.

Peace and God bless you

Think it's debatable that America has " made life better" in a larger context for the native tribes it attempted to genocide. I could live without air conditioning and airplanes and the InterNet.. Easy. Just give the land back and watch. 

My ethnic group did not have "freedom of religion"... and the other stuff was highly truncated as well... until I was in college. You  apparently always had it, so I'm happy for you,

( Warning..,another rant ahead...lol!)

Just a few thoughts from a hateful. " living in the past " native here:

As to " forgiveness". Forgive who? The people who killed my family are dead now, as you pointed out. I  just want justice from their descendants. Why we're in court all the time.

Re: stolen land. Your landlord, likely not native, owns the land... Ergo...you have a place to live. I think  you know what is meant by that. " Most land is stolen" ..guess that makes it okay, then. . Maybe we should " steal" it back. Lol.

Wish  I could get a deal like Israel, don't you? Obtain weapons from a foreign power like, say, Russia or China, and proceed to remove all non-natives from our claimed traditional territory. What a concept! The settlers here don't even have any supposed ancestral ties  to this place. So no one should feel sorry for them at all. 

Fortunately, you will be happy to know, we DID steal, trade, or bought  the white peoples' weapons and killed enough of them to defend some land and keep it. That's why there are reservations and treaties in many instances. We are resourceful and pretty quickly used our enemies' technology against them. 

FYI...The new land we are  now adding to the reservation we bought fair and square ( no bullets involved) and many of the settlers are still  fighting us to keep us from enlarging the reservation.  Go figure. The other chunk was won back in court because it was taken illegally from tribal holdings ( again, no bullets necessary). They still hate us. We don't care. Business as usual.

Just curious....are any of your " native friends" involved in their tribal court cases, current issues,  or nations at all? How many are at Standing Rock? How come you learned about Standing Rock from me here on a Shia forum of all places? Didn't your " native friends" alert you to the crisis brewing in ndn country for months?

With all due respect, you know so little about basic things such as tribal sovereignty that I honestly wonder if  you really talk with them at all...or if they are major sell-outs( in which case they are generally useless to their communities) ...or more likely  just disinculturated  thinbloods or  no-bloods with imaginary " Cherokee princess" great-grandmas. There are lots of those and those  kind are generally ignorant of anything native and can usually be  found sucking up to white people for validation and telling them whatever they want to hear. 

They are  also incredibly useful oppression tools. They are dragged out at any hearing on any native issue by their white masters to try to muddle the waters or trip up whatever the natives are trying to do. Fortunately, they usually don't know enough except some Nuage nonsense to be much more than a bother to actual natives, and are easily disposed of in most formal  hearings or legal situations, but a bother they are.

It's true they don't live in the past because they don't have a past...at least not a native one. They usually are adult-onset Indians with a family mythology,whom, when the needle is put in their arms, produce zero percent native blood. Even if they have a little, it doesn't matter, they know nothing about native culture, history, or contemporary issues. They don't even know what tribe they are actually from or have any ties to one that a reasonable person would logically recognise.

I get tired of them. 

I know no actual natives at all that do not share at least some...actually most...of my feelings about the US. Not a single one. And I am part of a native community and know hundreds more. So your friends are interesting anomalies or you are misreading them...or , assuming they are actually native ...they are shining you on just to be polite,IMHO. Lol.

You seem to have a  convenient amorphous mass of " friends" of any ethnicity or religion who all seem to magically agree  with you that  you use to beat the rest of us over the head with. 

So..for the  record: No, I do not live in the past. sorry you seem to think that.. Anyone who knows me would laugh at that. I am very much involved in the present-day issues that face my people and, obviously, I am aware that solving some of those problems will benefit everyone. Yippee. Occasionally I even involve myself in non-native issues that will help everyone. It's just that that my community has needs much greater than the white community and so that necessarily takes up more of my time. Right now, for instance, one of the things I am doing is trying to save a challenged language because  a lot of our traditional  thought concepts are couched in it and I think my folks have a right to survive as a distinct people and not be just smushed into some brainless cultureless mass of " Americana" . Every native  around here feels the same way I do. Ergo, I make no apologies for that. One of my kids didn't work his rump off in high school to get the native scholarship for his university to study federal indian law for us to just become a brown version of white people. No way. Studied it to help us fight continuing  dominant culture assimilation tactics. 

We were here before America and we plan to be here after it. 

Hope this helps.

5 hours ago, Christianlady said:

Salam Gaius l Caesar,

Peace

I see, it is probably for the best that you do not write back. However, I didn't say anything about you denying, rather I asked you twice to stop downplaying or marginalizing the violence of the past. 

Salaam. 

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar

9 hours ago, shiaman14 said:

After a lot of thinking, I finally got the courage to cut the cord!!!

Electrical cord?

In other thoughts:

Cheese smells like cheese but tastes like cheese.

Edited by IbnSina

9 hours ago, IbnSina said:

Electrical cord?

In other thoughts:

Cheese smells like cheese but tastes like cheese.

"Cutting the cord" - getting rid of cable/satellite TV. It's becoming a huge trend in the US with so many streaming options available.

Saving $75/mo   :clap: although my wife already has plans for the savings.

5 minutes ago, shiaman14 said:

"Cutting the cord" - getting rid of cable/satellite TV. It's becoming a huge trend in the US with so many streaming options available.

Saving $75/mo   :clap: although my wife already has plans for the savings.

looooooool.   

I read your post in the morning, got a bit concerned and thought about adding a reply about not cutting ties off with relatives..........

4 minutes ago, starlight said:

looooooool.   

I read your post in the morning, got a bit concerned and thought about adding a reply about not cutting ties off with relatives..........

lol. If I ever cut ties with my family, you have the permission to slap me around to make me come to my senses :)

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/cord-cutting-guide,news-17928.html