Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, uponthesunnah said:

There has been fewer cancers in our madhab than the Akhbari cancer. And i am not meaning followers, or attacking people. But rather, Akhbarism is just dangerous. 

Imagine, disregard evidence, validation of ahadith, need for fuqaha, and narrate anything and everything and follow your whims and opinions. You choose and determine your own future brother. 

From what i am seeing, indo-pak shi'ism is going downhill among some communities. 

Akhbarism was very mainstream back in the day, many great ulama were Akhbari, and to this day even the Usooli Ulama reference to their books.

Please do not compare some modern day wannabe Akhbaris (who sometimes want to confirm their dubious beliefs) to the Akhbaris of old who share our beliefs.

Perhaps you may know the author of Wasa'il Al-Shi'a, a great Shi'i Fiqh encyclopedia, Shaykh Hurr Al-Amili, was an Akhbari.

Edited by E.L King
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Birthday to Imam Zaman AS.  Happy Birthday @Zarla! 

Happy Birthday @starlight!! Hope you have a wonderful day.  

Wishing all SC'ers a blessed month of Rajab, InshAllah we can all reap some spiritual benefits. 

Posted Images

Harm is not merely caused by the evil people who wish to cause harm.

Harm is also caused by otherwise good people, who act on incomplete knowledge.

Because the worst thing is to have certainty and act, when your actions, words, and preconceived ideas are based on incomplete understanding and knowledge.

It reminds me of the saying of the Prophet s.a.w 'withhold your tongue except for good works' - and the prophet s.a.w stated, this act itself is one which may lead you to paradise.

If you are unsure if a scholar said x, don't spread rumors. If you want to get into a debate with someone, make sure you know the topic well - because you represent the ahlulbayt asws, and faulty and incomplete arguments will do more damage than good. Do you have a view or dislike of someone? Sit down and talk to them and get them to clarify their misconceptions. Don't hate and spread hate due to your misunderstanding of their positions.

Edited by uponthesunnah
On 11/11/2016 at 4:28 PM, E.L King said:

Akhbarism was very mainstream back in the day, many great ulama were Akhbari, and to this day even the Usooli Ulama reference to their books.

Please do not compare some modern day wannabe Akhbaris (who sometimes want to confirm their dubious beliefs) to the Akhbaris of old who share our beliefs.

Perhaps you may know the author of Wasa'il Al-Shi'a, a great Shi'i Fiqh encyclopedia, Shaykh Hurr Al-Amili, was an Akhbari.

I'm referring to the akhbari's i've come across, and modern day akhbarism. the hubeali type.

Was Alama Baqir Majlisi also a akhbari, by any chance? I am aware a number of our past scholars were, before [alhamdullilah] usoolism took over.

But putting scholars aside, the idea of akhbarism and its principles i disagree with. We shia's would be in a terrible position had usoolism had not prevailed.

Edited by uponthesunnah
  • Advanced Member
17 minutes ago, uponthesunnah said:

I'm referring to the akhbari's i've come across, and modern day akhbarism. the hubeali type.

Was Alama Baqir Majlisi also a akhbari, by any chance? I am aware a number of our past scholars were, before [alhamdullilah] usoolism took over.

But putting scholars aside, the idea of akhbarism and its principles i disagree with. We shia's would be in a terrible position had usoolism had not prevailed.

I would say Allama Al-Majlisi was an Akhbari. And Shaykh Yusuf Al-Bahrani too. 

Our classical scholars never called themselves Akhbaris and Usoolis, because these terms were created afterwards.

3 minutes ago, E.L King said:

I would say Allama Al-Majlisi was an Akhbari. And Shaykh Yusuf Al-Bahrani too. 

Our classical scholars never called themselves Akhbaris and Usoolis, because these terms were created afterwards.

Am i right in saying, he only graded ahadith in mirat al uqul to try to disprove usoolism ? [i.e show gradings didn't really matter]

Edited by uponthesunnah
  • Advanced Member
1 hour ago, uponthesunnah said:

Am i right in saying, he only graded ahadith in mirat al uqul to try to disprove usoolism ? [i.e show gradings didn't really matter]

You are a fan of brother Nader Zaveri aren't you? He is not an Usooli as far as I know, but he is heavy with hadith grading. So it doesn't necessarily mean non-usooli = no ilm al-rijal.

Edited by E.L King
13 minutes ago, E.L King said:

You are a fan of brother Nader Zaveri aren't you? He is not an Usooli as far as I know, but he is heavy with hadith grading. So it doesn't necessarily mean non-usooli = no ilm al-rijal.

I think my line of thought is as follows - please correct me so i can learn [if i am wrong in my understanding]

1. Akhbari's are against as a whole, ilm al rijal, at least for our main four books.

2. You can be heavy on ilm al rijal, but not an usooli

3. But you can not be heavy on ilm al rijal, and an akhbari

4. Usooli's place importance on ilm al rijal

I would rather keep quiet if i am a fan, or not. People who hate me may hate him if i claim to like him. I do not want him to be associated with me, if it taints him in anyway. [Sadly this had happened before]

Edited by uponthesunnah
5 minutes ago, E.L King said:

Wow bro, people can go low. Saddens me how the believers insult and hurt each other over some differences that may not even affect your salvation in the Afterlife. Very sad indeed.

I like to say, the people who sometimes cause the most harm are sometimes good people who act on incomplete knowledge. That's when slander, rumours, and such vices form. May Allah protect us all from this.

Edited by uponthesunnah
  • Veteran Member

This is unbelievable, this video is on the youtube page of the Egyptian channel LTC, there was a discussion between a Shi'a guest and a Salafi, which the owner of the channel didn't like, so she called in to say that Shias and atheists are not allowed on her channel. Why the channel would want to spread this themselves in beyond me as it makes them look bad, but I guess this is the kind of thing that Egyptians like to see.

20 hours ago, starlight said:

I can't understand why we do we have to label Shias as Akhbaris ,  Usoolis, pro tatbir ,anti tatbir, pro WF, anti WF?

Is any good going to come out of drawing these lines and creating divides.

Very, very beautiful post.

Got to say that , and i must address my self first , we shia's need to focus on shia-shia unity before trying to focus on shia-sunni unity.

But i have to add here, while I respect those against the concept of WF , i respect those who believe tatbir is permissible, but i can not accept akhbarism. Many modern day akhbari's abuse our system of marji's, and our ulema's, and i am not just talking about one or two, but the whole lot. 

Shia's today are almost all usooli's. Akhbarism is a pretty extinct sect.

Edited by uponthesunnah
  • Moderators

My toddler is crying because I took the children out to look at the moon, and then we came back in. He was cold, but wanted to stay out and look longer. I foresee my telescope getting more use in the not so distant future. 

• Veteran Member
27 minutes ago, magma said:

OCD pet peeve of mine. Why do people post topics that are clearly meant elsewhere within General Discussions? Are people that lazy?

Somethings don't merit having their own topics, but are still worth a mention, so they appear here.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Ali_Hussain said:

Somethings don't merit having their own topics, but are still worth a mention, so they appear here.

No, I think he's talking about people not properly categorizing their topics. Thoughts is thoughts. 

• Forum Administrators
5 hours ago, Ali_Hussain said:

...?

I'm talking about threads that belong somewhere else but are lazily put into the General Discussions forum by the poster. For example, I've found topics on Iranian politics, specific fiqh questions, marriage discussions there, when a specific subforum is already designed for these. And these aren't new members, these are established folk who should know better. 

Most don't care, but it's just one of my "things" I guess. I like things nicely organized. 

Edited by magma

The focal point of shia-sunni unity should utilise the universal love and adoration we have for the Prophet Muhammed s.a.w. Ayatullah al Udhma, Sayed Ali Khamanei (ha) has said:

"My dear ones, it is easier for Muslims of the world to unite in the name of the Holy Prophet (S). This is the characteristic of the Holy Prophet (S). I have pointed out on various occasions that the Holy Prophet (S) is the focal point of Muslim affections and that Muslims love their Prophet (S). Dear God, You can testify that our hearts are full of love for the Holy Prophet (S). It is necessary to make use of this love. This love for the Holy Prophet (S) can resolve Muslims' problems."

From the source, 'Lessons from the Holy Prophet of Islam':  https://www.al-islam.org/lessons-from-holy-prophet-islam-ayatullah-sayyid-ali-khamenei/monotheism-and-justice-holy-prophets-s#f_41c1eb18_11

04ce561dc9105678f7337ad52ba6f95f.png

• Veteran Member
20 hours ago, Ali_Hussain said:

This is unbelievable, this video is on the youtube page of the Egyptian channel LTC, there was a discussion between a Shi'a guest and a Salafi, which the owner of the channel didn't like, so she called in to say that Shias and atheists are not allowed on her channel. Why the channel would want to spread this themselves in beyond me as it makes them look bad, but I guess this is the kind of thing that Egyptians like to see.

Unbelievable! I always thought Egyptians had an inclination towards Shiism. What was the black bearded dude saying? Did he say "this is Iranian thinking?"