Guest Slave of Zahra

Quotes [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic

“I didn't want to kiss you goodbye — that was the trouble — I wanted to kiss you good night — and there's a lot of difference.”

"Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know"

― Ernest Hemingway

Edited by starlight

"And everyone's after a piece of the action. Those who can't wait to pitchfork Jews into the flames, want to go down screaming by their side. It's one or the other."

__ Howard Jacobson in The Finkler Question

"As the experience of our post-political liberal-permissive society amply demonstrates, human Rights are ultimately, at their core, simply Rights to violate the Ten Commandments. "The right to privacy" -- the right to adultery, in secret, where no one sees me or has the right to probe my life. "The right to pursue happiness and to possess private property" -- the right to steal (to exploit others). "Freedom of the press and of the expression of opinion" -- the right to lie. "The right of free citizens to possess weapons" -- the right to kill. And, ultimately, "freedom of religious belief" -- the right to worship false gods."

SLAVOJ ZIZEK, The Fragile Absolute: or, Why is the Christian Legacy Worth Fighting For?

"I fear the spark of rebellion in the eyes of my slaves. No, I am not speaking of the active rebellion that you, monk, or you, old man, want and desire; I fear the simple murmurings of the multitudes, who, since they cannot murder their tyrant, simply cease to recognize [his] power."

__ Carlos Fuentes in Terra Nostra

"I believe in clear-cut positions. I think that the most arrogant position is this apparent, multidisciplinary modesty of "what I am saying now is not unconditional, it is just a hypothesis," and so on. It really is a most arrogant position. I think that the only way to be honest and expose yourself to criticism is to state clearly and dogmatically where you are. You must take the risk and have a position."

• Conversations with Žižek by Slavoj Žižek and Glyn Daly (Cambridge: Polity Press, 2004), p. 45