Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Quotes [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic

Guest Slave of Zahra

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A man asked Shaikh Muhammed al Ghazali:  “What is the ruling of a person who doesn’t pray?” ‎He said:  ‎حكمه أن تأخذه معك إلى المسجد ‎"The ruling is that you take him with you to the Masjid

Posted Images

• Advanced Member

When the going gets tough, the tough get going

I used to believe in living by that... until I got to know the Word of God. :)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see, the reward of this faith is to see what you believe."

Saint auguestine

Reminds me of...

"I believe in Christ as I believe in the sun... not because I see it... but because...  by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis  :)

• Veteran Member

When Confucius was in K'uang, he encountered some venom and threats of violence against him (stemming from their opposition to his school of thought). What he said in response to this perfectly aligns with our ideals:

"If Heaven intends this culture to be destroyed, those who come after me will not be able to have any part of it. If Heaven does not intend this culture to be destroyed, then what can the men of K'uang do to me?"

Don't listen to any Westerners who want to make Confucius out to be some sort of agnostic. He was far from that.

Edited by baradar_jackson
  • Moderators

I used to believe in living by that... until I got to know the Word of God. :)

Do you mean to tell me that when times are tough Christians are just supposed to sit around on their ducks? Is that what "the Word of God" says to do?

• Advanced Member

Do you mean to tell me that when times are tough Christians are just supposed to sit around on their ducks? Is that what "the Word of God" says to do?

lol - I guess what I mean is that, I used to believe that all power was in my own hands(self-determination), but God humbled me and I came to realize that I do nothing without Him... without His blessing.

asalaam. :)

Edited by CLynn
  • Moderators

lol - I guess what I mean is that, I used to believe that all power was in my own hands(self-determination), but God humbled me and I came to realize that I do nothing without Him... without His blessing.

asalaam. :)

So you gave up your Free Will?

• Veteran Member

"If you give up when it's winter, you will miss the promise of your spring, the beauty of your summer, fulfillment of your fall. Don't let the pain of one season destroy the joy of all the rest. Don't judge life by one difficult season. Persevere through the difficult patches and better times are sure to come some time or later."

• Advanced Member

So you gave up your Free Will?

Greetings notme,

I learned to seek and accept His will, knowing that all things are in His hands. :)

I could still use my 'free will' to go against what God wishes, but instead I seek His will in all things, and I am blessed in this.  God will only bless, what God blesses.

13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature...

When freedom serves God, it is freedom indeed.

asalaam.

• Advanced Member

A confused, mixed idiom Clynn.

Enthronement of reason = loss of discernment...with an deflective noun attached (temptation)

:no:

Try somethin' other than Bartlett's

This is taken from a book I have been reading.

It is from the teaching of the Amana's...  Amana 'inspired testimonies'.

It makes perfect sense to me... do not let human powers of reason(when men's powers of reason sit in rule of the world) take the place of Godly discernment and direction.

Edited by CLynn
  • Advanced Member

Bismillah.

As you all know, there is a great emphasized on the role of reason and intellect in Islam and Ma‘sūmīn (sa). Accordingly, today I am about to mention a blessing Hadith in which Imam al-Bāqir explains the role of reason. He stated:

"لَمَّا خَلَقَ اللَّهُ الْعَقْلَ‏ اسْتَنْطَقَهُ ثُمَّ قَالَ لَهُ أَقْبِلْ فَأَقْبَلَ ثُمَّ قَالَ لَهُ أَدْبِرْ فَأَدْبَرَ ثُمَّ قَالَ وَ عِزَّتِي وَ جَلَالِي مَا خَلَقْتُ خَلْقاً هُوَ أَحَبُّ إِلَيَّ مِنْكَ وَ لَا أَكْمَلْتُكَ إِلَّا فِيمَنْ أُحِبُّ أَمَا إِنِّي إِيَّاكَ آمُرُ وَ إِيَّاكَ أَنْهَى وَ إِيَّاكَ أُعَاقِبُ وَ إِيَّاكَ أُثِيبُ."

When Allah created the faculty of Reasoning, He bestowed upon it the power of speech and ordered: "Come forward." It came forward. Then He ordered, "Retrace your steps." It retraced its steps back. Then He proclaimed, "By My power and Majesty, I have not created anything dearer to Me than you and I have not perfected anyone with you except those whom I love. Lo! Verily to you My orders will be issued and to you My prohibitions will be announced and for you My chastisements will be inflicted and for you My rewards will be reserved.” (Usool-e Kāfī, vol.1, p.10, H.1)

With Duas.

• Veteran Member

CLynn: with cwap like that, I would try to find something other to get "inspired" about.

Martyrdom: Here is a similar poem:

.             Winter

Stealthy, she creeps upon us, and

Quietly manifolds the scenes, and

Changes things to Her liking...

Frosted lands, and frozen streams,

So hard and cold, and so determined

To leave Her sign, for all to see, and

Inch by inch Nature surrenders,

To Her magnetic mystery.

Such Easy prey for Her pattern,

Nothing evades Her touch, each year,

Just the amount of Time She wishes and

Only then She'll disappear.

Unannounced, She always comes back,

But in passing, there is one thing,

Only that She cannot conquer...

The warm and gentle touch of Spring.

----by Dorothy R. Andersen, 1965

Right now, it is 9 degrees Fahrenheit here. (~ -13 degrees C )

Edited by hasanhh
  • Veteran Member

Wisdom Lion, this is called "personification".

for you, Gray Matter:

excerpt: from Snowflakes

...Outside the wind is blowing

You think of summer days

You see the snowdrifts growing

While the children laugh and play.

and: The Gift

Snowflakes fluttering down so soft, and

With a touch of cold

Carressing up-turned faces

Distinguishing not, the young or old.

Snowflakes with all your beauty,

Your blanket of quiet-ness, and

Presence thrill us more because

You're sent from God, to us.

Dorothy R. Andersen 1965

--my old neighbor's book

Right now it is 8O Fahrenheit (-14o C )

When Spring does come, they'll have to call out the National Guard to keep order. :dry:

--from a comment made on TV by Jack Fogarty in 1977

Edited by hasanhh
  • Veteran Member

“The dreamer whose dreams are non-utilitarian has no place in this world. Whatever does not lend itself to being bought and sold, whether in the realm of things, ideas, principles, dreams or hopes, is debarred. In this world the poet is anathema, the thinker a fool, the artist an escapist, the man of vision a criminal”.

__Henry Miller.

“The dreamer whose dreams are non-utilitarian has no place in this world. Whatever does not lend itself to being bought and sold, whether in the realm of things, ideas, principles, dreams or hopes, is debarred. In this world the poet is anathema, the thinker a fool, the artist an escapist, the man of vision a criminal”.

__Henry Miller.

Utilitarianism is against Islam because for example you cannot kill one person to save the lives of some others. You can't do haram to do good, unless there is a person who wants to sacrifice himself willingly

• Veteran Member

Utilitarianism is against Islam because for example you cannot kill one person to save the lives of some others. You can't do haram to do good, unless there is a person who wants to sacrifice himself willingly

Lol I think you should read the quote again :D

Edited by Marbles
  • Veteran Member

(salam)

I am off-&-on reading this book of poetry by my old neighbor. I've quoted it a couple of times.

But, I was thinking back to when the teachers in elementary school use to give us the assignment of "write an essay".

So, combining the two:

The School Essay

She said, "write an essay on

anything you like", gawd, I wish

I was riding my bike.

"What do we write on" we would

ask. "Anything you chose" she would

task.

Protesting questions would the ensue,

I wiggle and turn about blue.

"OK", she'd relent, "write about that tree"

the one out the window, with glass and school

between it and me.

"How do you write about a tree", one boy

asked. Then she was about angry at us

for her task.

"Ah, what the Hell" I'd say to myself. Try

to make something up and do it "well".

Scribble something hokey, make it

look like I tried, I'd rather be having

a hamburger fried.

This moral of this story I do tell,

to get through school:

Just blank damn do it

and say to yourself,

"Ah, what the Hell".

Hey, I did this in 9 minutes. Wish it was that way, way-the-Hech back then.