Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Christianlady

Verses from the Qur'an about Mahdi?

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, Christianlady said:

Salam,

I am curious please. What are the verses from the Qur'an that talk about the Muslim Mahdi? Thanks!

Peace and God bless you

There are no Qaim ayats in Quran.

References exist only in hadith. I was reading yesterday an article which said he doesn't occur in Sahih al-Bukhari and Sahih Muslim which is incorrect. I do remember him in Sahih Muslim --in two places, the other places referring to another man.

10 hours ago, Qa'im said:

“He alone will manifest it at its proper time. It is heavy in the heavens and the Earth. It shall not come upon you except unexpectedly.” (7:187)

This is the unexpected return of the Mahdi.

Salaam Qa'im, 

I'm doing a lot of general research at the moment out of interest. The above verse you quoted, isn't it about the 'Hour' i.e. day of judgement. Because the complete verse is as below;

They ask you, [O Muhammad], about the Hour: when is its arrival? Say, "Its knowledge is only with my Lord. None will reveal its time except Him. It lays heavily upon the heavens and the earth. It will not come upon you except unexpectedly." They ask you as if you are familiar with it. Say, "Its knowledge is only with Allah , but most of the people do not know."

Salaam So frrom this verse, the people (pagan arabs? non-muslims/muslims) of Prophet Muhammad saww time were asking him about the day of judgment/hour, and that was the response from Allah. Another way to look at it, and this is most important; Why would those people at that time, who had no knowledge about imam Mahdi as (these are pagan non muslims/muslims), ask about the return of Imam Mahdi? The Quran is clearly showing this verse is in response to questions and conversations where they ask the Prophet something, so how can they ask about Imam Mahdi as when they probably don'y know too much about Islam let alone Imam Mahdi who was to come centuries later? 

Thanks and look forward to your reply

21 hours ago, AvengerAfterRepentance said:

Wasalam, 

In this thread some verses and narrations have been shared. http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/64404-holy-verses-about-imam-al-mahdi-as/?_fromLogin=1

and this one 

Salam AvengerafterRepentance,

Thanks! I will check the thread out!

Peace and God bless you

20 hours ago, mostafa2020 said:

Hi the name of imam Mahdi has not been mentioned in Quran verses .

Salam Mostafa2020,

Is the title of Imam Mahdi specifically mentioned in the Qur'an?

The title "prophet like Moses" is specifically mentioned and promised in the Tanakh, and the promise of the "Christ/Anointed One on the throne of King David" forever is also specifically mentioned in the Tanakh. Both are mentioned as well in the New Testament as being fulfilled by Jesus. 

Is there a verse in the Qur'an that specifically promises the coming of an Imam Mahdi? Thanks!

In Quran ,however, we can find some verses that belongs to Imam Mahdi like ; chapter 21 verse115 and

I looked up chapter 21 verse 115 in the Picktall translation, but I couldn't find it. Is this chapter 21?

http://www.sacred-texts.com/isl/pick/021.htm

chapter 24 verse 55

I found this one, but this one says rulers (plural), not one ruler over them all. How is this one singling out 1 single ruler? (I boldened some.)

55 Allah hath promised such of you as believe and do good work that He will surely make them to succeed (the present rulers) in the earth even as He caused those who were before them to succeed (others); and that He will surely establish for them their religion which He hath approved for them, and will give them in exchange safety after their fear. They serve Me. They ascribe no thing as partner unto Me. Those who disbelieve henceforth, they are the miscreants.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/isl/pick/024.htm

How does this specify a coming ruler in specific???

and chapter 28 verse 5. 

5 And We desired to show favour unto those who were oppressed in the earth, and to make them examples and to make them the inheritors,

http://www.sacred-texts.com/isl/pick/028.htm

Again, how does this specify a coming ruler in specific??? This could be talking about the Muslims who invaded and conquered Egypt and North Africa, the Persian Epmpire, and eventually most all of the Byzantine Empire.

Peace and God bless you

15 hours ago, hasanhh said:

There are no Qaim ayats in Quran.

References exist only in hadith. I was reading yesterday an article which said he doesn't occur in Sahih al-Bukhari and Sahih Muslim which is incorrect. I do remember him in Sahih Muslim --in two places, the other places referring to another man.

Salam Hasanhh,

Thanks for answering my question. It is curious to me why a belief that seems to be paramount to Shia beliefs does not seem to be specifically mentioned in the Qur'an. But, I will look over the other verses later... 

In Shia beliefs, are the hadith just as important as the Qur'an?

Peace and God bless you

@Christianlady 

Even how we pray is not explained precisely in the Quran. The Quran has to be explained by those who are gifted to explain it . That is why although the Quran was in Arabic it still had to be explained to Arabs thru the prophet and Imams.

Hadith in Arabic actually means " news/speech/ discourse " So hadiths are just the explaination of what certain verses means thru those who had attained this gift from God himself.

Which were the Ahlul bayt themselves.