humanbeing101

Why do anti-muslims always use surah al-anfal?

Rate this topic

39 minutes ago, Ali al-Abdullah said:

What do they quote?

When your Lord revealed to the angels: I am with you, therefore make firm those who believe. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them. -8:12

32 minutes ago, humanbeing101 said:

When your Lord revealed to the angels: I am with you, therefore make firm those who believe. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them. -8:12

Is Quran so easy to understand?. Nope, surely not. There are circumstances around the revelation and in what context it was revealed. Further Ahadith of Aimma (ams), if any, should be considered before other things.

The ayats of surah Anfal from verse 11 to verse 19 were revealed during battle of badr.

Exegesis of ayat 12 in Tafseer e Namuna:

One of other divine bounties upon the Muslim strivers in the Battle of Badr was the horror that Allah cast into the hearts of the pagan enemies and terribly weakened their spirits. In this regard, the verse says:

“(And remember) when your Lord revealed unto the angels, (saying): ‘Verily I am with you, so confirm those who believe...”

Allah said that soon He would cast fear and horror into the hearts of the infidels. The verse says: “…Soon I will cast fear into the hearts of those who disbelieve…”

This fact was truly wonderful that the powerful troops of Quraysh were so frightened that some of them were in terrible horror to combat with the small number of Muslim strugglers in the Battle. Then the verse reminds them the command that He had ordained upon the Muslims in the battle-field of the Battle of Badr by the way of the Prophet (S). The command was that, at the time of fighting against those pagans, they should avoid striking some uneffective blows and not to spend their strength in that state, but they should smite severely upon the entity of the opposite party, upon above their necks; that is, upon their brains and heads. The verse says: “...Therefore smite above the necks...”

And, by smiting their fingers, they should cause the enemies’ hands and feet to become inactive. The holy verse continues saying: “...and smite every finger of them'.”

36 minutes ago, humanbeing101 said:

This was when the Prophet (sawa) was in war though, right?

4 hours ago, humanbeing101 said:

I notice everytime an anti-muslims/athiest quotes from the quran, they always quote a verse from Surah Al-Anfal. How do we deal with this and refute this?

Fight ignorance with knowledge.

Find out what the full Tafsir of that Sura is from both a Shia and Sunni perspective. After that explain to them the meaning of the Sura (context, purpose, why it was revealed and to what situation it applies).

You can only fight the ignorant enemy and their malicious lies with knowledge and the truth. 

Explain the data behind the Sura and then present it to them (while explaining to them that they don't have the necessary knowledge to present this Sura anyway).

After explaining the facts to them then ask them to present the Sura again in the context they are trying to present it in and ask them if it still applies.