Hassan M

Can I Still Follow The Fadlullah Marja?

Rate this topic

To Whom This May Concern,

My name is Hassan Mohaidly and i'm a young Lebanese-Canadian Entrepreneur. I have an important question in regards to which MARJA can I follow

While growing up, my father followed Fadlullah and my mother followed Sistani. Growing up I never knew which MARJA should I follow. Now I'm grown up and I want to make a choice to which Marja to follow. And to be honest I don't want to follow someone just because somebody told me to follow him. 

So my QUESTION is since Fadullah passed away (PBUH) couldn't I follow his son? Also what are some of Fadullah's main teachings and philosophy compared to the other marjas? I'm an indivdiual that loves business and personal development, so is Fadullah's teaching the same thing?

ThankYou

:salam:

As far as I know al sayed Ali Fadlallah has not passed his ijaza yet so following him without him being a mujtahid is not possible.

You could be following his father after his death if you had been following him before his death - and for existing fatwas.

19 hours ago, realizm said:

As far as I know al sayed Ali Fadlallah has not passed his ijaza yet so following him without him being a mujtahid is not possible.

You could be following his father after his death if you had been following him before his death - and for existing fatwas.

So I can't even follow his son at all? But if my dad follows Fadlallah and mom follows Sistani why can't I choose to follow Fadlallah?

Well, I follow the late Sayed Fadlallah (may Allah have mercy on him) because I was following him before he died. So the judgements he issued while he was alive are still valid to me.

However if some new issue were to arise ( e.g. "is it halal to play Pokemon Go during friday prayers?" ) then I would need to make taqlid to another marja` since he did not adress the topic during his lifetime.

As for his son Ali, (may Allah give him long life), nobody can follow him because he is not a mujtahid yet. 

Basically all his office does today is rely on existing fatawas and methods, like determining islamic occasions based on calculation, etc... until a new mujtahid comes and has the ability to issue verdicts himself. 

--

You may need to double check this but I think Sayed Fadlallah was of the  opinion that you can start following (as said above, for existing fatawa only) a dead marja referring to the opinion of some LIVING marja` who allows to follow a dead marja`. 

To me it sounds like making taqlid to the living one rather than the deceased one, that is why you may need to investigate more by yourself. You were not the first the ask by the way :