wmehar2

Ayatollah reveals Irans crimes against humanity

Rate this topic

Can someone confirm if the news article that I'm ready  below is propaganda, made up anti-iran stuff?   And if its not, can someone clarify the bold below?  If it did happen, is there proper justification?

In reference to one of the worst mass executions in the modern history of the Middle East, being carried by the government officials, Montazri stated that “So, now, without their having carried out any new activities (the prisoners), we execute them. This means that all of us screwed up, our entire judicial system is wrong”.

He talks about a 15 years old girl being executed because she liked her brother who was also executed. Amnesty International estimates that in the summer of 1988, the overall number of people executed were 4,500. Some estimates reach as high as over 30,000 people.

He adds “In Esfahan, a pregnant woman was among them [those massacred]. In Esfahan they executed a pregnant woman.... [In clerical jurisprudence] one must not execute a woman even if she is a mohareb (enemy of God).

“I reminded [the Supreme Leader] of this, but he said they must be executed. In the month of Moharram, at least in the month of Moharram, the month of God and the Prophet, it shouldn’t be like this. At least feel some shame before Imam Hussein. Cutting off all meetings and suddenly engaging in such butchery, dragging them out and Bang! Bang!!! Does this happen anywhere in the world? ...”

Montazeri’s audio points to one of the worst crimes against humanity committed in modern history and it continues to occur. It points to the means that the government uses to control the population and silence opposition.

It also points to the interconnectedness of Shiite Islam, power and authoritarianism, and it points to the dominance of the IRGC, intelligence, Khamenei and their loyalists.

For more details and nuances you can read full version on Here.

Dr. Majid Rafizadeh is an American political scientist, business advisor, best-selling author, and the president of the International American Council on the Middle East. Harvard-educated, Rafizadeh serves on the advisory board of Harvard International Review. An American citizen, he is originally from Iran and Syria, lived most of his life in Iran and Syria till recently. He is a board member of several significant and influential international and governmental institutions, and he is native speaker of couple of languages including Arabic and Persian. He also speaks English and Dari, and can converse in French, Hebrew.

You can sign up for Dr. Rafizadeh’s newsletter for the latest news and analyses on HERE.
You can also order his books on HERE.

You can learn more about Dr. Rafizadeh on HERE.

You can contact him at Dr.rafizadeh@post.harvard.edu or follow him at @Dr_Rafizadeh.

2016-03-12-1457793374-8912173-ScreenShot20160310at4.38.54PM.png

Follow Dr. Majid Rafizadeh on Twitter: www.twitter.com/Dr_Rafizadeh

Oh he speaks hebrew and escaped to america? How nice...

Please use your own brain before you ask others to use theirs and dont post this garbage bs and thereby helping them spread their moronic CNN propaganda that only a moron would believe and there are many morons in these last of times.

You want to know what Iran is like? Go to Iran.

Just now, IbnSina said:

Oh he speaks hebrew and escaped to america? How nice...

Please use your own brain before you ask others to use theirs and dont post this garbage bs and thereby helping them spread their moronic CNN propaganda that only a moron would believe and there are many morons in these last of times.

You want to know what Iran is like? Go to Iran.

You know there are people who do live in a bubble, and genuinely have no idea what's going on in the world because misinformation is widespread, there's always two sides to a story and I try not to be ignorant of that, hence why I'm posting and asking this here.  How many people do you know are willing to go that far, as opposed to just instantly accepting what they hear or see as truth?   should I misconstrue your rude response to assume that you're all crazy?  No, I won't.  So I'll wait until someone with more courteous intentions politely helps me understand.

Notice how I asked in my post for someone to verify if it is propaganda so I know not to believe whatever garbage I see.  I'm not a Farsi speaker, nor am I completely aware of whats happening over there as I live here and its rather hard to know whats going on.  if you see I'm already critical of what I'm reading, then perhaps use a different tone of response so you understand i'm not here to slander or falsely criticize something that doesn't deserve it.  Enough with the instant defense mechanisms, just read what i'm asking and you don't need to feel offended right away.

1 minute ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

I am curious... Who's the Ayatullah speaking about this? 

The whole thing is here I guess:

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2016/08/19/Montazeri-s-revelations-and-Iran-s-crime-against-humanity.html'

At the bottom this guy has his credentials listed, though not sure if verified:

Dr. Majid Rafizadeh, an Iranian-American political scientist and Harvard University scholar, is president of the International American Council. Rafizadeh serves on the board of Harvard International Review at Harvard University. He is also a member of the Gulf project at Columbia University. Rafizadeh served as a senior fellow at Nonviolence International Organization based in Washington DC. He has been a recipient of several scholarships and fellowship including from Oxford University, Annenberg University, University of California Santa Barbara, and Fulbright Teaching program. He served as ambassador for the National Iranian-American Council based in Washington DC, conducted research at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, and taught at University of California Santa Barbara through Fulbright Teaching Scholarship. He can be reached at Dr.rafizadeh@fas.harvard.edu, @Dr_Rafizadeh.

26 minutes ago, wmehar2 said:

Can someone confirm if the news article that I'm ready  below is propaganda, made up anti-iran stuff?   

That is not legitimate news. If you look at the bottom of the webpage, it has a warning that it is not news but the writer's opinion:

Disclaimer: Views expressed by writers in this section are their own and do not reflect Al Arabiya English's point-of-view.

I am not offended, i am fed up.

What is the difference between listening to me and listening to CNN?

Listen to your own ears and see with your own eyes. Iran is very safe for tourists and iranians are more friendlier than you think.

You are muslim yes? There a group trips going Mashhad for ziyarat all the time and mA you live in america so you have that us dollar dollar. If truth is important to you then invest some money in a short one week trip to Iran with a group and walk around and listen and see something that cannot be denied.

Of course i do not mean to make you upset but you have to understand the level of bs that is thrown at Iran and iranians that we have to deal with, it gets just a tad bit tiring after a while.

My best advice to you is to not ever listen to CNN or FOX or SKY or other major news station from america because they are all owned by the same guys and they have the same agenda. 

Just now, hameedeh said:

That is not legitimate news. If you look at the bottom of the webpage, it has a warning that it is not news but the writer's opinion:

Disclaimer: Views expressed by writers in this section are their own and do not reflect Al Arabiya English's point-of-view.

Does this mean that no such events took place in Iran?  The execution of a pregnant woman, or the brother and sister? 

14 minutes ago, wmehar2 said:

The whole thing is here I guess:

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2016/08/19/Montazeri-s-revelations-and-Iran-s-crime-against-humanity.html'

At the bottom this guy has his credentials listed, though not sure if verified:

Dr. Majid Rafizadeh, an Iranian-American political scientist and Harvard University scholar, is president of the International American Council. Rafizadeh serves on the board of Harvard International Review at Harvard University. He is also a member of the Gulf project at Columbia University. Rafizadeh served as a senior fellow at Nonviolence International Organization based in Washington DC. He has been a recipient of several scholarships and fellowship including from Oxford University, Annenberg University, University of California Santa Barbara, and Fulbright Teaching program. He served as ambassador for the National Iranian-American Council based in Washington DC, conducted research at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, and taught at University of California Santa Barbara through Fulbright Teaching Scholarship. He can be reached at Dr.rafizadeh@fas.harvard.edu, @Dr_Rafizadeh.

I'm not really familiar with Ayatullah Hossein Ali Montazeri and I am not really sure what make of this article.

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar

Al Arabiya is not a good source for your information. Its a Saudi owned news network and has spread misinformation about Iran. So there are the obvious biases.

Besides that I don't think what Ayatollah Montazeri is not necessarily wrong of what his discussing in the recording. He took a brave stand against the upper hierarchy of the regime. Its unfortunate what occurred in 1988 but at the same time I think their should be more research into what occurred and whether the perpetrators should be sought after.

Its good that now there is a bit of a discussion going on about what happened back then and whether these execution were just or done by a kangaroo court.

3 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

I am not offended, i am fed up.

What is the difference between listening to me and listening to CNN?

Listen to your own ears and see with your own eyes. Iran is very safe for tourists and iranians are more friendlier than you think.

You are muslim yes? There a group trips going Mashhad for ziyarat all the time and mA you live in america so you have that us dollar dollar. If truth is important to you then invest some money in a short one week trip to Iran with a group and walk around and listen and see something that cannot be denied.

Of course i do not mean to make you upset but you have to understand the level of bs that is thrown at Iran and iranians that we have to deal with, it gets just a tad bit tiring after a while.

My best advice to you is to not ever listen to CNN or FOX or SKY or other major news station from america because they are all owned by the same guys and they have the same agenda. 

So let me explain,

Not everyone in the US, has "US" dollar dollars.  Not everyone in the US is living in some heavenly place or situation where they can get up , take a plane and fly wherever they want.   That's a rude presumptive perspective you have there, and most especially inconsiderate.   If I had the opportunity, I would have by now, just so you know.   Enough with the sarcasm.  I live in American I already deal with the garbage thrown at muslims in general, so don't think i'm not empathetic.

2 minutes ago, wmehar2 said:

Does this mean that no such events took place in Iran?  The execution of a pregnant woman, or the brother and sister? 

I dont know but given some of times that Saudi Arabia lied about  Iran to the world, I wouldn't be surprised but it could be true. 

2 minutes ago, Zendegi said:

Al Arabiya is not a good source for your information. Its a Saudi owned news network and has spread misinformation about Iran. So there are the obvious biases.

Besides that I don't think what Ayatollah Montazeri is not necessarily wrong of what his discussing in the recording. He took a brave stand against the upper hierarchy of the regime. Its unfortunate what occurred in 1988 but at the same time I think their should be more research into what occurred and whether the perpetrators should be sought after.

Its good that now there is a bit of a discussion going on about what happened back then and whether these execution were just or done by a kangaroo court.

I see, so what happened in 1988, there was some veracity to those events then.  That's tragic indeed.   I would agree that its good they are being discussed.  Thank you for clarifying

18 minutes ago, wmehar2 said:

Does this mean that no such events took place in Iran?  The execution of a pregnant woman

Judges are bound by Islamic law to never execute a pregnant woman and she would be allowed to breastfeed her baby for two years after that. So no, I don't believe that Iran executed a pregnant woman. 

9 minutes ago, hameedeh said:

Judges are bound by Islamic law to never execute a pregnant woman and she would be allowed to breastfeed her baby for two years after that. So no, I don't believe that Iran executed a pregnant woman. 

I agree. So does that mean Ayatollah Montazeri is lying? I mean his quite a qualified Marja?

Edited by Zendegi

2 minutes ago, Zendegi said:

I agree. So does that mean Ayatollah Montazeri is lying? I mean his quite a qualified Marja?

No, it means that Ayatullah Montazeri was being told by someone else that a pregnant woman was executed. He had no personal knowledge of it but was misinformed. 

39 minutes ago, hameedeh said:

No, it means that Ayatullah Montazeri was being told by someone else that a pregnant woman was executed. He had no personal knowledge of it but was misinformed. 

Ok you have a point that there is possibility he could have been misinformed.

1 hour ago, Zendegi said:

Although Montazeri used to be a great revolutionary but he is not a qualified marja anymore he turned against Khomeini maybe because of jealousy, ego or ignorance and he himself had some wrong views about Islam and he himself supported hypocrites and corrupted groups, terrorists like Mehdi Hashemi may be because of ignorance or anything.

We should understand that whoever wears a Turban or is called an Ayatullah or he used to be a revolutionary, he is not infallible and he is not a prophet. People change. Still there are such Ayatullahs in Iran who are themselves confused or on the wrong side. Our religion and teachings of Ahlul Bait does not let us to worship the wrong Ulama when we see their corruptions just because they are called Alim.

Anyhow yes it is possible that in the mess at the first years of revolutions some wrong behaviours were committed no one says that everything was perfect or everything is perfect. However I am not sure that what Montazeri says is the truth. In fact Montazeri himself was responsible of some of such corruptions. Even communists were among the revolutionaries.

Iran is full of shortcomings like other countries of middle east and it has some unique successes that other countries of middle east lack. It is not easy to proceed in such an unjust and complicated world. But for sure the promised fate belongs to the people of middle east if they resist, unite and tolerate. 

I have never been sure if Montazeri actually ever said this to be honest. And if he did, I take it should also be seen not as a general opposition towards imam al Khomeini and the regime but against specific cases that shall be dealt with (cases that mau not be real to begin with). You cannot expect perfection from a government that was just recently created. I hope the countries all around the world achieved something as significative as Iran has achieved with the Revolution.