Christianlady

Jesus gives peace

Rate this topic

Salam,

One of my Muslim friends asked me why Christians don't say "peace be upon him" when we talk about Jesus.

The answer is because we know that Jesus is the giver of peace. Peace comes from him to his followers when we obey him. (Obedience to Jesus Christ is vital in order to receive his peace. No obedience, no peace.)

Jesus Christ said the following when promising his disciples who walked and talked with him the Holy Spirit: (I boldened some.)

But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. - John 14:26-27 (NIV)

Many of Jesus' disciples (including his apostles) faced heavy persecution for following Jesus. They were persecuted by their own people who did not accept Jesus as the Anointed One (Mashiach/Messiah/Christ) and they were persecuted by the pagan Roman Empire. Yet Jesus gave them his peace, even in the middle of horrible "storms" they suffered. He also gave them the promise that the Father will send them the Holy Spirit, who will remind them of everything Jesus said. The Holy Spirit transformed these Jews from simple fishermen, a despised tax collector, and others not considered educated scholars into brave spiritual warriors who didn't physically kill anybody, but radically stood up for Jesus till the death!

So, the peace Jesus gives is not like the world's peace. His peace doesn't mean that his followers won't suffer. Rather, his peace enables his followers to stand up for him even when being tortured because of their faith in Jesus Christ.

While the world doesn't understand that kind of peace, that peace encases the hearts of the true followers of Christ and protects their hearts from all that seeks to destroy their faith in Christ. After all, the Kingdom of Christ (the Anointed One) is from above, the Kingdom of Heaven. Kingdom on earth are temporary; the kingdom of Heaven is forever!

So, I have a question. Why do Muslims wish peace on Muhammad and Jesus by saying "peace be upon him" when talking about them? My Muslim friend I asked said that this is tradition.

Peace and God bless you

^ Good morning.

Just a note: in various parts of Christendom there are ways to show honor to Jesus. Catholics customarily used to bow and men removed their hats at the holy name. Many of the Orthodox cross themselves and bow at the mention of the names of the Trinity in the Divine Liturgy.

Etc.

I personally find the Muslim tradition charming.

Edited by LeftCoastMom

One of the supplications in Islam is: O God, You are Peace, and peace is from you, You are Hallowed, O Majestic and Dignified! (Allahumma, anta as-salaam, wa minka as-salaam, tabarakta ya dhal jalaali wal ikram)

"Peace" is one of the 99 names of God in Islam. Ultimately, it is God that gives peace, and peace is submission to Him and Him alone. Jesus can certainly bestow God's peace, for he is God's vicegerent, but God is the ultimate source of all peace. The expression "peace be upon him" is a prayer that God gives more and more peace and blessings to His vicegerents. It is the same as the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim greeting "Peace be unto you" (Shalom aleikhem, or Salaam alaykum). This greeting is a supplication and a wish for God to bestow His peace to the person.

3 hours ago, Christianlady said:

So, I have a question. Why do Muslims wish peace on Muhammad and Jesus by saying "peace be upon him" when talking about them? My Muslim friend I asked said that this is tradition.

Peace and God bless you

Salam, Allah gives peace through Islam (surrender to Him). Wishing peace upon someone is just showing kindness/love/respect for them. The prophets were the best examples of those in Islam, yet we still wish them peace to show love and respect.

6 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

^ Good morning.

Salam LeftCoastMom,

Just a note: in various parts of Christendom there are ways to show honor to Jesus. Catholics customarily used to bow 

Out of curiosity, do you bow when the name of Jesus is mentioned? is this still a custom in the Catholic church?

and men removed their hats at the holy name.

This is a tradition in some Protestant churches and congregations as well. My Papaw, (grandfather) for instance daily wears a cowboy hat. (He's a Texan.) He always removes his hat before praying, and doesn't wear his hat in church.

I personally find the Muslim tradition charming.

Many traditions in many faiths are indeed charming. :) 

Out of curiosity, does Jesus Christ give you peace?

Peace and God bless you

4 hours ago, Qa'im said:

One of the supplications in Islam is: O God, You are Peace, and peace is from you, You are Hallowed, O Majestic and Dignified! (Allahumma, anta as-salaam, wa minka as-salaam, tabarakta ya dhal jalaali wal ikram)

"Peace" is one of the 99 names of God in Islam. Ultimately, it is God that gives peace, and peace is submission to Him and Him alone. Jesus can certainly bestow God's peace, for he is God's vicegerent, but God is the ultimate source of all peace. The expression "peace be upon him" is a prayer that God gives more and more peace and blessings to His vicegerents. It is the same as the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim greeting "Peace be unto you" (Shalom aleikhem, or Salaam alaykum). This greeting is a supplication and a wish for God to bestow His peace to the person.

Salam Qa'im,

Thanks for eloquently answering my question.

Peace and God bless you

3 hours ago, Ruq said:

Salam, Allah gives peace through Islam (surrender to Him).

Salam Ruq,

God gives peace to Jesus' followers via Jesus Christ.

Wishing peace upon someone is just showing kindness/love/respect for them.

:) Aye. This is why I end every post wishing peace and God's blessing on the person or people. I am addressing.

The prophets were the best examples of those in Islam, yet we still wish them peace to show love and respect.

Out of curiosity, do you believe Muhammad hears you saying peace be upon him? Definitely Jesus Christ is returning and hears everything, so of course I believe Jesus Christ hears you.

Peace and God bless you :) (You deserve kindness, love and respect too!!!)

Remember that satan can give peace too and it is one of his tricks to fool someone to think they are pious. There are stories of all kinds of extremists who experience peace and joy. I do not mean you are decived but a reminder is good.

Edited by sefket83

On 8/14/2016 at 2:40 AM, Christianlady said:

God gives peace to Jesus' followers via Jesus Christ.

When Jesus says that, "I am the way to Father", he is surely saying the truth. Yes, he is the way and vessel to Father for all his adherents.

But Jesus doesn't claim that, he is the ONLY way to Father. Thus, Shia believe that all Messengers (those who brought Scripture) are the way and vessel to God and therefore each Path to God is correct.

On 8/14/2016 at 2:40 AM, Christianlady said:

Out of curiosity, do you believe Muhammad hears you saying peace be upon him? Definitely Jesus Christ is returning and hears everything, so of course I believe Jesus Christ hears you.

Yes, and for this reason the Wahhabis murder the Shia. The Wahhabi consider that the Shia are encroaching on the Monotheism of God.

Some people who call Hindus as, "Pagan", are surprised that Hindus believe in Monotheism too.

It is the definition of Monotheism which have lead to all Religious War, and all these wars are still going on. Everyone, think that their definition of Monotheism is the the Correct One, even all religions contain the same Golden Rules.

And BTW, God doesn't have a name, if He does the we will own Him, rather than He Owning us.

Allah is two words, the first word is "al" which is "ha" in Hebrew and the second word is ilah/eloh and it is a feminine noun. Arabic/Hebrew have 3 vowels and English has 5 vowels, thus in English it is ilah/eloh and and in NT it elo and el without the short vowels.

YHWH doesn't have short vowels as Jews till today write G-d without the short vowels. When we put short vowels in YaHuWah Elohim, it means, O He Elohim.

Edited by BornShia

On August 13, 2016 at 3:33 PM, Christianlady said:

Salam LeftCoastMom,

Out of curiosity, do you bow when the name of Jesus is mentioned? is this still a custom in the Catholic church?

This is a tradition in some Protestant churches and congregations as well. My Papaw, (grandfather) for instance daily wears a cowboy hat. (He's a Texan.) He always removes his hat before praying, and doesn't wear his hat in church.

Many traditions in many faiths are indeed charming. :) 

Out of curiosity, does Jesus Christ give you peace?

Peace and God bless you

Some people still bow, but there is plenty of praise of Jesus written into the mass already. Yes, I get peace...and courage and sometimes even patience when I need it. Lol.

6 hours ago, sefket83 said:

Remember that satan can give peace too and it is one of his tricks to fool someone to think they are pious. There are stories of all kinds of extremists who experience peace and joy. I do not mean you are decived but a reminder is good.

Salam Sefket83,

The peace Jesus gives is different than the peace the world gives, as well as the "prince of this world" - satan.

Interestingly, satan did offer Jesus the following when tempting him:

Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”

Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.[a]

Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him. - Matthew 4:8-11 (NIV)

It is interesting, isn't it, how satan (the prince of this world) offered Jesus "all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor" if he would bow down and worship him, but Jesus said no. Jesus could have made a deal with satan, but he didn't. Instead, He sent satan away and quoted the Tanakh, giving us an example of what to do when satan tempts us.

Obedience to God is so important, no matter what satan offers - including his false kind of peace.

Jesus' peace again is different than the peace the world gives, and the kind of "peace" the prince of this world gives. It is very important to understand the difference, and the importance of obeying God, no matter what the devil offers.

Peace and God bless you

3 minutes ago, LeftCoastMom said:

^ Well, gotta go...taking my daughter to the doctor to get an ultrasound and see the baby. That is an exercise in " joy"!

Awww!!!!! That's AWESOME!!!!

May God greatly bless you and your lovely daughter, the precious baby, the happy daddy, and all the family!!!!!

Congratulations!!!!!!!

Peace :)

12 minutes ago, Christianlady said:

Salam Sefket83,

The peace Jesus gives is different than the peace the world gives, as well as the "prince of this world" - satan.

Interestingly, satan did offer Jesus the following when tempting him:

Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”

Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.[a]

Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him. - Matthew 4:8-11 (NIV)

It is interesting, isn't it, how satan (the prince of this world) offered Jesus "all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor" if he would bow down and worship him, but Jesus said no. Jesus could have made a deal with satan, but he didn't. Instead, He sent satan away and quoted the Tanakh, giving us an example of what to do when satan tempts us.

Obedience to God is so important, no matter what satan offers - including his false kind of peace.

Jesus' peace again is different than the peace the world gives, and the kind of "peace" the prince of this world gives. It is very important to understand the difference, and the importance of obeying God, no matter what the devil offers.

Peace and God bless you

I think many muslims will say that God has given them peace too and Muhammed (a.s) certainly claimed to have peace from God even tough he was the leader of a religion which opposes your view of God. Peace is not reserved just for Christians I geuss but maybe only for good people.

God bless you too :)

Edited by sefket83

6 hours ago, BornShia said:

When Jesus says that, "I am the way to Father", he is surely saying the truth. Yes, he is the way and vessel to Father for all his adherents.

Salam BornShia,

Amen!!! :)

But Jesus doesn't claim that, he is the ONLY way to Father.

Untrue.

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

Thus, Shia believe that all Messengers (those who brought Scripture) are the way and vessel to God and therefore each Path to God is correct.

From what I have learned on Shiachat, Shia Muslims do not believe that God is our Father in Heaven, or the Father of Jesus Christ, correct? Jesus Christ clearly identified as the Son of God (Matthew 16:15-17; Matthew 27:43; Luke 22:70-71;John 10:36) and clearly taught that God is our Father (Matthew 5-7).

The religious Jewish leaders who condemned Jesus to death did so because they thought he committed blasphemy. However, Jesus spoke the truth and will return someday to prove that he is indeed the Son of God.

Peace and God bless you

2 hours ago, Christianlady said:

Salam sister,

There is no belief of devil in both Judaism and Islam, nor there is a belief of fallen angels in both Judaism and Islam. devil and fallen angels are purely Christians' beliefs.

The problem lies trying to translate Arabic (read Semitic languages) into other languages. There are two main problem.

1. The Grammar and vowels are not the same. For example in Arabic, we have 3 short vowels, which are not written in old, modern Arabic, but written in Quranic Classical Arabic. And, 3 same long vowels.

a. For example English have 5 vowels, always written.

b. TaNaKh didn't contain short vowels until the Quranic Classical Arabic was revealed.

c. There are no pronouns in Arabic, in a away. When I told this to one of my friend, who was taking basic Arabic course for non-Arabic speakers, he told me that I am wrong, and the very first thing he was taught.

In NT we have Jesus calling my Allah as, "eloi" and "eli". The "i" at the end of both "eloi" and "eli" has the pronoun "my". The "elo" and "el" is without the short vowels. Usually, the Jews will write my Allah in English as "elohi" or "elohy", but we see that in English in NT it is written without the short vowel.

The Muslims will write my Allah in English, "ilahi" or "ilahy" but in both Arabic and Hebrew the word is same, it is how one writes in English is different.

The same name called, "Mohammad" is written so many ways in English due to vowels difference. Also, double letters are not written in old, modern Arabic. So, Mohammad in old, modern Arabic will be written, "MHMD".

d. The same applies to verbs too. For example, "dhahab" means he went; "dhahabat" means, she went and "dhahabna" means we went.

e. In English, we have nouns, pronouns, and proper nouns. In Arabic, we have nouns and super nouns.

I can go on and on.

3 hours ago, Christianlady said:

Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 

The second problem with translation is choice of words in the translated language and the agenda of the translator.

For example, the Arabic word "idhrub" has about 42 meanings. It can mean, "hit",  "multiply", "leave alone" and so forth.

a. So, the translator has a choice to use whichever meaning which fits the translators' agenda.

b. What about the same word appearing, second time, third time, forth time ... So, does the translator use the same meaning he/she used the very first time, or he/she changes the meaning based on context and agenda.

c. There are about six or eight translators of Quran in English language. N. J. Dawood is an Iraqi Jew, couple of Christians and the rest Sunnis. I haven't seen it has been translated by any Shai.

d. Most of these translators have dead been very, very long time ago but every time their version of Quran is translated it has subtle changes from their original translation.

e. Usually, the next translator starts from the first translator work, so to make the job easier. Or, it gets translated from Arabic into English first and then later translated from English to Urdu.

f. So, it has been suggested to compare various translations to get some kind of a good feel. However, I use quran.com which is the Wahhabi Site, and has Wahhabi recent translation called, "Sahih International" and various other translations from dead people very, very long time ago. 

g. I used to remember, verse 5:3 used to be translated as, "This day, I have completed your religion". I saw Sahih International using "perfected" instead of "completed". I looked at all other translations, and they all have now in them "perfected". Only very few Shia will realize this agenda.

Same problem lies with any translation of any scripture. But we have the original Quran in all our homes. To avoid, subtle changes to take place from printing to printing, Quran is memorized by millions of Muslims as checks and balances over the written Quran.

Christians original NT is translated NT from Arabic (Jesus Language) to Greek/Roman is in libraries but not in every home. We have umpteen version of Bible, as they differ from each other, and the same Bible keeps on changing from printing to printing, but I know that Christians believe all these are inspired.

Now, there are all moving to one Bible called, NIV. I remember the furry, when the 3 items were removed from KJV which makes Jesus Divine. And, of course compromises took place, and this furry is no longer on internet. One hundred years will no one remember KJV and there will also be subtle changes in future printing of NIV to remove Jesus Divinity and assign it in footnotes first and then later completely remove them.