Sign in to follow this  
Mohammadi_follower

Some questions about Azerbaijan

Rate this topic

Salam aleykoum, Like you know Azerbaijan is one of the few shia majority country in the world and its great.

However i have some questions about this country which i dont really know.

1) Securalism

I saw on many websites that Azerbaijan is considered as one of the less religious country in the islamic world with only 7% on azerbaijani population who want sharia law, few people who go to mosque or do the ramadan and i have some relatives who went to azerbaijan for holidays and said to me that very very few women wear hijabs (near zero).

2) Salafism

I also heard that after the collapse of the Soviet Union many gulf countries went to Azerbaijan and tried to spread salafism in azerbaijan and they partially successed to convert many azerbaijanis , i also saw that many azerbaijanis are now fighting for ISIS in syria and Iraq.

That is what i heard about this country and the situation looks to be not so good. Could azerbaijanis on this forum or people who know azerbaijan could say to me if the points above are true ? What is the place of religion in the azerbaijani society ? After so many years of atheist communism do the religion is becomming more important in azerbaijan society ?

Partially. Most of people visit Baku, but not other cities, if you visit other cities, then you will find more religious people. Also, often, you will find people to be partially secular and partially religious in Baku. It is almost like Turkey - with exception - the majority are 12er Shia.

17 minutes ago, alidu78 said:

After so many years of atheist communism do the religion is becomming more important in azerbaijan society ?

Yes! There is good development / rush among young people towards Islam. So, I hope, that everything will be fine.

6 minutes ago, Rasul said:

Partially. Most of people visit Baku, but not other cities, if you visit other cities, then you will find more religious people. Also, often, you will find people to be partially secular and partially religious in Baku. It is almost like Turkey - with exception - the majority are 12er Shia.

Yes i must admit its true. If im not wrong most of them just visited Baku , not other cities.

im living in turkey and i posses some information about the religious affiliations of the azerbaijani people,i will try to provide as much information as i can

1.After almost 70 years of communism Azerbaijanis have been made largely secular

2.There is a return to religion,which has been happening since the collapse of the USSR

3.80 percent of the population  are Twelver Shia

4.the remaining 20 percent are extremist wahhabis

5.the govenrment is autheriterian and while it tries to preserve secularism mostly, it favours shias and the president is shi'ite

The Islamic Republic of Iran should respond to the growing threat of salafism in Azerbaijan in coordination with the Azerbaijani government,the salafi groups MUST be CLEANSED either through religious opinion making or through devastating FORCE.

The other thing that the Islamic Republic should do is to,help our Shi'ite bretheren there to learn their religion and understand what an infidelity secularism is.

Edited by Al Amir