Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Taqleed

Rate this topic


Pro-Alid

Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member

Salam,

If someone is following a Marja like Sistani but disagrees with them on something, is it acceptable to follow another Marja like Fadlallah instead, or must we always stick to one? Do any Maraji say we have can follow more than one Marja or do they all agree that we must stick to one? Please clarify, thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

You can't just simply disagree. These marjae have spent their lives studying jurisprudence. They can possibly be wrong, or their general ruling might not make sense for a specific situation, and you should never blindly follow, but your "disagreement" needs to be rooted in Quran and hadith, not personal preference. 

Following one marja is supposed to make things easier for you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
38 minutes ago, Pro-Alid said:

Salam,

If someone is following a Marja like Sistani but disagrees with them on something, is it acceptable to follow another Marja like Fadlallah instead, or must we always stick to one? Do any Maraji say we have can follow more than one Marja or do they all agree that we must stick to one? Please clarify, thanks.

Salam Alaykom. 

According to grand Ayatollah Sistani, you cannot follow another marjaa' if you oppose with him. 

It's his viewpoint in his Resalah:

7. If an A'lam Mujtahid gives a fatwa on some matter, his follower cannot act in that matter on the fatwa of another Mujtahid. But if he does not give a fatwa, and expresses a precaution (Ihtiyat) that a man should act in such and such a manner, for exam ple if he says that as a precautionary measure, in the first and second Rak'at of the namaz he should read a complete Surah after the Surah of "Hamd", the follower may either act on this precaution, which is called obligatory precaution (Ihtiyat Wajib), or he may act on the fatwa of another Mujtahid who it is permissible to follow. Hence, if he (the second Mujtahid) rules that only "Surah Hamd" is enough, he (the person offering prayers) may drop the second Surah. The position will be the same if the A'a lam Mujtahid expresses terms like Ta'mmul or Ishkal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Veteran Member
43 minutes ago, Pro-Alid said:

Salam,

If someone is following a Marja like Sistani but disagrees with them on something, is it acceptable to follow another Marja like Fadlallah instead, or must we always stick to one? Do any Maraji say we have can follow more than one Marja or do they all agree that we must stick to one? Please clarify, thanks.

Is the disagreement on a sharia basis or just a whim?

Let's change from marja to Imam. If you dont like something an Imam says, will you change your imam them? Or if a Dr. prescribes a bitter medication, will you change DRs?

In some cases, marajae do say it is okay to follow another marja if they are deemed more qualfied on a specific subject.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
1 hour ago, shiaman14 said:

Is the disagreement on a sharia basis or just a whim?

Let's change from marja to Imam. If you dont like something an Imam says, will you change your imam them? Or if a Dr. prescribes a bitter medication, will you change DRs?

In some cases, marajae do say it is okay to follow another marja if they are deemed more qualfied on a specific subject.

Of course a disagreement which is rooted in the Sharia, not ones personal desires or whims. For example, lets say I follow a Marja, but another Marja puts forward an argument which I feel is more in line with the Quran and Hadith, am I allowed to take the other opinion according to any scholars? If so, who?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

You absolutely MUST do what you believe to be correct, but you'd better research it carefully! As I said before, our marjae have spent a lifetime acquiring knowledge of jurisprudence. If you are wrong, you will be held accountable on the day of judgement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Veteran Member
2 hours ago, Pro-Alid said:

Of course a disagreement which is rooted in the Sharia, not ones personal desires or whims. For example, lets say I follow a Marja, but another Marja puts forward an argument which I feel is more in line with the Quran and Hadith, am I allowed to take the other opinion according to any scholars? If so, who?

I am not sure if us disagreeing with our marja is enough reason to turn to another. You can change marja if you are in doubt of their adl ie they are injust or if their decision is contrary to the Quran clearly.

If nothing else, taqleed teaches us "ita'at" (obedience). For example, how many of us would have been like the Shias at Siffin who disobeyed Imam Ali's call to finish the battle and not fall into Muawiya's plots. Compare that to Malik Al-Ashtar who may not have agreed with the decision to stop fighting when Imam Ali called him back but he complied. That is obedience.

Edited by shiaman14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
15 hours ago, notme said:

You absolutely MUST do what you believe to be correct, but you'd better research it carefully! As I said before, our marjae have spent a lifetime acquiring knowledge of jurisprudence. If you are wrong, you will be held accountable on the day of judgement.

I will be held accountable on the day of judgement just for following another scholars interpretation?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Pro-Alid said:

I will be held accountable on the day of judgement just for following another scholars interpretation?

You will be held accountable for everything you do and for all your intentions. Where scholars have disagreement, there are probably a diversity of interpretations. All I'm saying is be certain, as well as you are able. Better to be right, but wrong with sincere intention is better than just wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...