Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
zainabamy

Contrasting Cultures At The Olympics

Rate this topic

:salam:

Just seen this on Facebook. Cannot see why the Daily Mail feels the need to comment on the fact that some volleyball players wear hijab, I mean when did what women wear become more important then how good they are at their sport? It really annoys me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3728996/The-contrasting-cultures-brought-Olympics-Perfectly-timed-photograph-showing-Egyptian-German-volleyball-players-highlights-divide-teams.html 

W/s

And let's not forget the typical comments:

"Nothing better shows the lack of freedom in Islam. Forcing women to cover themselves if they want to be in public? WHY is the Left okay with this obvious discrimination of women??"

"Strong an powerful women suppressed by religion...too be fair I was surprised they were even allowed to play!""

"Ridiculous female oppression."

:furious:

About to read the article - but just by your initial comments, surely there are only advantages to playing with a headscarf?

Aerodynamics; Hair doesn't get in your face; Less visual information to process; More opportunity to jazz up the play kit...

Edit:

Having now read the article - I'm impressed by how neutral the commentary itself was maintained for the Daily Mail - even if the undertones are suspicious of Hijab.

I hope that some readers at least, will appreciate that the differences are just that, differences - and who knows, some might be inspired or even be triggered to reflect, by seeing those stark images of the players. (Brothers you might not want to open up this article after all ^_^;)

Insha'Allah, this coverage... about coverage, will have a positive impact for many.

Incidentally in other Olympics-Islam related news, this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37009240

And not a single mention of "Sunnah" to be seen...

Edited by Hayy ibn Yaqzan

4 hours ago, Ruq said:

Forgive me for not clicking on the Daily Fail link, i refuse to add to their traffic!  Lots of athletes wear things on their heads as part of their sport (fencers, cycling, equestrian, swimmers). Heres one of the fencers the US sent to the Olympics this year: Muhammad_Ibtihaj_030916_800X500.jpg?h=50

I just saw her two days ago on Colbert's show. She was pretty cool.

12 hours ago, Khadim uz Zahra said:

I just saw her two days ago on Colbert's show. She was pretty cool.

Yes, it must be so much fun to be a fencer. I watched the fencing for the 1st time on Sunday and it was more enjoyable than i thought it would be. I bet they imagine theyre in the The Muskateers or POTC; wouldnt mind giving it a go myself xD

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 7:53 PM, Ruq said:

Forgive me for not clicking on the Daily Fail link, i refuse to add to their traffic!  Lots of athletes wear things on their heads as part of their sport (fencers, cycling, equestrian, swimmers). Heres one of the fencers the US sent to the Olympics this year: Muhammad_Ibtihaj_030916_800X500.jpg?h=50

Monday, a woman reporter said that the rules about dress were changed after 2012. That allowed hijab.

I can't remember more about what she said.

I do remember a few years ago, probably the Olympics, when the  Iranian Women's Soccer Team was denied a playing slot because "they might choke on their hijabs".