In the Name of God بسم الله

i have been suffering from social anxiety

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam,

I have been suffering from social anxiety for ever since I remember. It fluctuates on the levels, sometimes I feel less anxiety and fear but some days it just spirals out of control. I find it hard to go out, meet people, even talk to relatives. It has effected my education and social life.

Does anyone have any advice from Islamic perspective how to deal with it? Aswell as just practically.

oh no i am so sorry to hear that, hmmm have you checked out other forums or topics on social anxiety on shiachat? or perhaps any websites regarding this, i hope you get answers soon, its okay its allright, people can go thru this, dont feel scared

• Moderators

I'm interested in this question too. I'm very introverted so it doesn't bother me much, but it does affect how I live my life. I'm not able/willing to call a doctor about it, but if there is a less social solution I'd try it.

Assalam.

Like i said in the other thread, it's all because of our mistakes sadly by not praying to Allah or even talking with Allah swt, the answer is very simple:

الرعد
الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَتَطْمَئِنُّ قُلُوبُهُم بِذِكْرِ اللَّهِ أَلَا بِذِكْرِ اللَّهِ تَطْمَئِنُّ الْقُلُوبُ
[ The guided ones are: ]Those who    Believe and whose hearts find tranquility And confidence in Allah's    Remembrance.[ O, People ]Be sure That real tranquility for the hearts rests In    Allah's Remembrance,[ regarding    one's Intention and action ](28) 

الأنفال
إِنَّمَا الْمُؤْمِنُونَ الَّذِينَ إِذَا ذُكِرَ اللَّهُ وَجِلَتْ قُلُوبُهُمْ وَإِذَا تُلِيَتْ عَلَيْهِمْ آيَاتُهُ زَادَتْهُمْ إِيمَانًا وَعَلَىٰ رَبِّهِمْ يَتَوَكَّلُونَ
[ The believers are: ]Those who feel awe And trembling in their hearts when Allah's Name is mentioned; and when Words of Revelation are recited to Them, their Faith increases; and they are Those who put all their trust in their Creator and Nurturer;(2) 

• Veteran Member

I have been suffering from social anxiety for ever since I remember. It fluctuates on the levels, sometimes I feel less anxiety and fear but some days it just spirals out of control. I find it hard to go out, meet people, even talk to relatives. It has effected my education and social life.

Does anyone have any advice from Islamic perspective how to deal with it? Aswell as just practically.

Have you seen a Medical Professional?

Coming to a forum such as this will only get you the advice of laymen when its the advice of a Professional that you need.

In my opinion, you need to speak to a Psychiatrist. 

seek medical assistance immediately.

if you live in the UK/ most of Europe then this is completely free for you. there is nothing "wrong" with you that you need to be ashamed or think that people are going to think you are handicapped or anything like that. mental health is no joke. you wouldn't be embarrassed to go to a doctor if your body was ill, there is zero shame in going to a doctor if there is an illness in your mind. most things are fixable, hardly anything is permanent/ irreversible. 

social anxiety is usually caused by 2 underlying issues - low self esteem and lack of social interaction. I would suggest you join a hobby/ sport/ interest group of something you feel is pretty neat and just enjoy it. as a male, change your diet to a protein rich, good fat rich, low carb diet and start working out regularly. it will do wonders for your self esteem. 

good luck brother, all our duas are with you. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Basic Members

Salam,

With respects to the members of this page, but with your question what does that have to do with them answering it? They're more of a religious site.

I myself am a young entrepreneur and I can contribute a lot of my success for reading and learning about personal development and successful people. I'd encourage you to watch a lot about Tony Robbins. I'll post some links to some of his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOhYkCGKHvY

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Salam,

Social anxiety, I have suffered from it myself and still do at times.  I grew up in an overly protective conservative family so I think that is the root cause. It was triggered by other events and being disappointed in people's actions. What worked for me is shutting out everyone that was negative and surrounded myself with positive people(not necessarily Muslims). I also made it a goal for myself not to hate or judge others instead try to give them benefit of the doubt/excuse. The more I exposed myself to humans the less defensive my body was in social situations. So try to go out more and more. A little at a time don't force yourself but also don't be lazy about it.. Face your fears brother. The freedom from fear is worth the struggle.. Some days you will want to stay home and not interact and that is okay too, take a break, and when you are feeling your best take full advantage of that energy and go out. You can start small and build your way up to larger crowds. Most importantly be kind to yourself. Pay attention to what you are saying to yourself about yourself.

I would also advise against listening to music, not because it is haram, only because it doesn't give you time to quiet your mind. Anxiety comes from over-thinking. Instead of listening to music try to meditate. And lastly, exercise! Get fit. Let your blood circulate. That alone will give you 20% improvement in mood(based on my experience and those around me)

As far as the suicidal thoughts and constant mood change I think you should see a medical professional. A psychiatrist. It could be chemical imbalances in your body which could be treated by medication. I am not an advocate of pharmaceuticals but it might be right for you. I understand as a muslim why you would reach out to fellow muslims is search of a solution to what you probably think is linked to your faith. However, hearing your symptoms, I don't think any of us can be the best help for you, if its a mental health issue... Remember you are a physical being.. God challenges/tests us with our health. Seek help from a professional and Pray Allah makes it a cause to end your suffering.

Brother I pray for you. Much love.

Wsalam,