Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
zahra mahmoodzadeh

Is euthanasia permissible?

Rate this topic

Euthanasia means that if a patient is suffering great from a disease,and there is no hope left on him/her with today technology,he/she can have euthanasia. Euthanasia is legal in some countries,but it is haram in islam.

There are four kinds of euthanasia:

1)active voluntarily 2)active involuntarily 3)passive voluntarily4)passive involuntarily that all four kinds are haram in islam,because islamic position is that life belongs to Allah.it is he who gives and takes away life, and no one can give or take it.

51 minutes ago, zahra mahmoodzadeh said:

Euthanasia means that if a patient is suffering great from a disease,and there is no hope left on him/her with today technology,he/she can have euthanasia. Euthanasia is legal in some countries,but it is haram in islam.

There are four kinds of euthanasia:

1)active voluntarily 2)active involuntarily 3)passive voluntarily4)passive involuntarily that all four kinds are haram in islam,because islamic position is that life belongs to Allah.it is he who gives and takes away life, and no one can give or take it.

If one's death is inevitably soon, however is there no exception?   E.g. stage 4 cancer, etc.  If one is experiencing nothing but incessant pain such that they've lost the capacity to remember their Lord, would it still be haram?  I've always wondered this.

If a human's death is inevitable, wouldn't already be that God's decisions has been manifested by shortening that individuals life anyway?  Would it really be a contradiction to god's decision of when to end life?

45 minutes ago, wmehar2 said:

If one's death is inevitably soon, however is there no exception?   E.g. stage 4 cancer, etc.  If one is experiencing nothing but incessant pain such that they've lost the capacity to remember their Lord, would it still be haram?  I've always wondered this.

If a human's death is inevitable, wouldn't already be that God's decisions has been manifested by shortening that individuals life anyway?  Would it really be a contradiction to god's decision of when to end life?

I may be completly wrong, but the reason why I think it is haram is because even though the person is experiencing incessant pain and even though medically there is no hope in recovery, miracles do happen and people do recover from the worst of cancers http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1172211/The-miracle-survivor-I-given-months-live--terminal-cancer-vanished.html. Just because a doctor says that you will die doesn't mean that there is no hope left, Dua is a powerful recourse.

2 hours ago, Meesum_Mtl said:

I may be completly wrong, but the reason why I think it is haram is because even though the person is experiencing incessant pain and even though medically there is no hope in recovery, miracles do happen and people do recover from the worst of cancers http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1172211/The-miracle-survivor-I-given-months-live--terminal-cancer-vanished.html. Just because a doctor says that you will die doesn't mean that there is no hope left, Dua is a powerful recourse.

Fair point,  but does that mean it's also haram to seek treatment?  If God has given us a terminal illness, then are we not to fight God by seeking treatment?  If we can't end our lives since God chooses when we die and live this same argument must be consistent when prolonging your life.

Would it also be haram considerin a doctor saves you versus God?

Edited by wmehar2

22 hours ago, wmehar2 said:

Being in this situation is reallly hard.

Islam tries to improve the patients morale to increase his power of tolerance, so if a patient has religious beliefs, he feels pain less,because he knows that his unfinished pain is his divine exam and by that pain his pain will be excuse by Allah or by tolerance of this pain, Allah will give him rewards and.... 

There are many hadeeths as admission of my words: 

Prophet muhammed(pbuh):

The sins of a patient sheds like sheding  leaves of atree (mizanulhikma.p490)

The reward of not sleeping for one night because of the pain is more than a year worship(Alkafi.p:114)

O!Ali the groan of a patient is like praise(tasbeeh) , his shout is tahleel(la ilaha illa Allah),his sleeping is worship and his movement side by side (becauseof the pain) is jahad

Edited by zahra mahmoodzadeh

If im not mistaken, if the doctor considers a person medically dead and the person is on life support, Islamically speaking, you can take him/her off life support. Essentially you are not killing the person but letting them die. But you are not allowed to induce death intentionally, such as in instances of extreme pain etc. 

But a faqih should have an answer for this, i'm merely speaking from something i read many years ago. 

Well, considering the whole you are not Allah debate as most important; creates ignorance around the topic. I am sure that physicians and doctors are more familiar with the debate in relation to medical breakthroughs. So, even a Muslim doctor could practically obtain the right to perform euthanasia through research and practice. But the average Muslim MUST argue that it is unethical according to his faith in the ONE UNIQUE GOD.

If it was up to me, I would have to have a deep meaningful conversation with the patient, looking into the patients eyes, holding their hand, and discussing their perspective on the issue. Then do what's right. Pull the plug or let it sit.

Cats and dogs are put to sleep everyday, hunting and fishing is legal, and war with other human beings is permitted in certain cases. So, in extreme cases, why not Euthanasia? 

I personally think that miracles do exist. Doctors often tell people that they will never lead a normal life, then those people get up and work better than others who were seemingly handed life on a silver platter. No offence.

11 hours ago, worshiper said:

What if the patient is left with no conscience and is least concerned about Islam? And his/her faith decreases because of his illness?

I think in such situation doctor can cut  his/her life support like brain dead patients,because his/her brain loses its all functions and his/her heart,liver and kidnies will be disabled and the important note is the patient doesnt feel any pain.

11 hours ago, Olaff8388 said:

Well, considering the whole you are not Allah debate as most important; creates ignorance around the topic. I am sure that physicians and doctors are more familiar with the debate in relation to medical breakthroughs. So, even a Muslim doctor could practically obtain the right to perform euthanasia through research and practice. But the average Muslim MUST argue that it is unethical according to his faith in the ONE UNIQUE GOD.

If it was up to me, I would have to have a deep meaningful conversation with the patient, looking into the patients eyes, holding their hand, and discussing their perspective on the issue. Then do what's right. Pull the plug or let it sit.

Cats and dogs are put to sleep everyday, hunting and fishing is legal, and war with other human beings is permitted in certain cases. So, in extreme cases, why not Euthanasia? 

I personally think that miracles do exist. Doctors often tell people that they will never lead a normal life, then those people get up and work better than others who were seemingly handed life on a silver platter. No offence.

I agree with you,but there is contrast in your words!If i misunderstand, let me know.you mean because some countries go to war with each other and some innocent people who are healthy and dont have any pain,are killed, so euthanasia should be permitted??

On 7/30/2016 at 6:25 AM, zahra mahmoodzadeh said:

I agree with you,but there is contrast in your words!If i misunderstand, let me know.you mean because some countries go to war with each other and some innocent people who are healthy and dont have any pain,are killed, so euthanasia should be permitted??

There is no contrast in my words my sweet pomegranate...

The complexity of the situation makes it comparable to that of a situation in war-times; where one would have to amputate a limb or leave someone dead in order to save another being. Otherwise it would pertain to a situation of putting a cat or dog to sleep. I cannot relate. 

It has been allowed, more recently, to be a subject of one's last will and testament; as a human being has complete authority over their own actions towards their universal-self. A person may be able to render the controversial aspect of this discussion null and void, and either give up or hope for a miracle. 

What would you do in this situation? 

:party:Miracle!! :clap: