Ali-F

Becoming a millionare

Many people want to become a millionaire or even billionaire. The thought of having lots of money makes them happy and that's their goal.

But is it really important to become a millionaire? What are the most important things in life than having lots of money? Why should/shouldn't we struggle to become millionaires? 

Share your thoughts.

Money in itself is nothing. It buys nice things, but more than nice things, I think most people want security.  They want to not worry about "what if my car breaks" or "what it I get sick and can't work". 

Probably some people want power too, and wealth can be used as power. 

Wealth is a test, and poverty is also a test. Neither is good or bad, from a spiritual point of view. What matters is what we do with what we have. 

Edited by notme

Asalam o Alaykom

There are different kinds of people. Some aren't satisfied even if they have millions while some are satisfied even with the little bit they have. 

What they want depend upon their desires. 

It's like... You can ask a poor, handicapped man and he will tell you all the good things he have in life. You can ask a rich man and he'll tell you the hundreds of problems he's trying to get away from. 

The most important things that money can never buy are ethics & love. If you think about it, knowledge isn't dependent upon money much either. Having these things, even if you're poor, makes you rich!

1 hour ago, Ali-F said:

Many people want to become a millionaire or even billionaire. The thought of having lots of money makes them happy and that's their goal.

But is it really important to become a millionaire? What are the most important things in life than having lots of money? Why should/shouldn't we struggle to become millionaires? 

Share your thoughts.

Allah (swt) has created us out of his infinite mercy with his infinite wisdom. Out of all the beings, the human being is his best creation. He created us so we could achieve/perceive the highest of highest possible (which is Allah swt). He installed a faculty in us (the heart) so we can 'catch' Him. To go after anything less than that is to sell yourself short, because you are going for little pebbles when you can get the best of the best diamond. Most of us are stuck in the pebbles!

God knew that when he would create mankind, he would do all sorts of things because he will give him free will. He will do Zulam to himself and to other people. Still God created us, this is an opportunity for us. God also promised us eternal life, which means we can never die (we either go to Jannah or Jahannam).

If you place wealth into this picture then you see that money has no value. It gives us the illusion that we are 'free' and 'powerful'. It's quite the opposite. The only freedom is worshipping Allah (swt). When we go for a temporary pleasure, we get a temporary pleasure and that's it, you're stuck. Only when you go after the highest of the highest possible, you can find true liberation and pleasure.

When we eat, drink, watch tv, talk to our family members, spend money, etc, we get a certain pleasure, right? Don't you think God has created a certain pleasure as well for those worshipping Him? There is pleasure in worshipping Him! 

It would be understandable that people would save money and be greedy IF we would take money to our grave. But nobody does!

Also, when you die, you lose everything. All of it. You end up with nothing. Wouldn't it be better for us to give when we are alive? Cause we are gonna lose it anyway some day!

'Before death takes away what you are given, give away what there is to give.' Rumi

We all would rather want the test of being wealthy than that of being poor. Make no mistake! The test of the wealthy is a very heavy test! You have been given a fiduciary responsibility and you have to answer for every cent that you spend. Most people that I see around me, aren't getting the test answers right. You have no right to live above your standard (bigger house than necessary, big car, branded clothes, luxurious holidays, etc.), you can live in a good way but can not be extravagant EVER. (Extravagance is another topic, but I would just like to hint at the following: Buying things that you do not need, is taking away the right of someone that desperately needs and can use that money in a better way. You are usurping his right!).

The test of the poor is 'simpler'. He has to have patience and trust God. He will not be accountable in the same way as the rich because he didn't have any money like the rich had.

Note this as well: the poor people will go first to Jannah, then will the rich people go. The wealthy people have been 'compensated' in this world, so the poor people will be 'compensated' later. 

I have been "middle class" and I've been poor.  Being poor is so much easier, believe me, at least in a first world country.  If you live in a first world country, the worst that will happen is you will lose all your possessions.  It really isn't a disaster, just an inconvenience.  You won't starve or go without at least emergency medical care.  Hospitals will treat you in an emergency even if you are uninsured.  You will just have to pay for the rest of your life.  Some hospitals even will provide free or reduced price care to poor uninsured people.  There are soup kitchens and homeless shelters.  They aren't ideal food and shelter, but you won't starve or freeze.  In a third world country that doesn't have these resources, poverty might be more difficult than wealth, but here in the United States poverty isn't all that terrible.

Being wealthy can also be an important factor in some people’s lives. I honestly don't want to work 8h+ shifts for the rest of my life. The reason why I strive to get wealthier is the following:

-  Once you have grown your wealth enough you can become self-sufficient if you live modestly.

- You can achieve this by using your wealth in different forms of investments (stocks, property, currency, etc.) 

- As long as you are living modestly and have amassed enough wealth, your investments will be able to provide you with enough income to pay off your day to day living expenses.

- Since you are wealthy and living modestly you will have no or very little debt.

What this means is that instead of working 8h shifts, you will have to work very minimaly or not at all. You won't be working for your money; your money will work for you (Inshallah). Your expenses won't dictate how you spend your time, you will have the benefit of spending it (your time) on what you want to do. This obviously won't work if you are trying to live a luxurious lifestyle, not only will you have to maintain your expenses but constantly and exponentially grow your income to meet your living standards.

3 hours ago, notme said:

I have been "middle class" and I've been poor.  Being poor is so much easier, believe me, at least in a first world country.  If you live in a first world country, the worst that will happen is you will lose all your possessions.  It really isn't a disaster, just an inconvenience.  You won't starve or go without at least emergency medical care.  Hospitals will treat you in an emergency even if you are uninsured.  You will just have to pay for the rest of your life.  Some hospitals even will provide free or reduced price care to poor uninsured people.  There are soup kitchens and homeless shelters.  They aren't ideal food and shelter, but you won't starve or freeze.  In a third world country that doesn't have these resources, poverty might be more difficult than wealth, but here in the United States poverty isn't all that terrible.

Mashalla, you are such a content human being.  I salute you for that! 

@OP: I want to make lots of money and am already working my way towards it. At first my initial aim was so that I could buy all the nice materialistic things for myself thinking it would make me happy, but the happiness of materialistic things only lasts a month as I've come to realize (maybe even less than a month) I now want to earn lots of money to help all the needy and poor people as much as I can. And to help out people in my community who arnt able to get married due to high expenses. 

I think now that if I had spent a fraction of all the time I have spent struggling for money on making counterfeit money all my money problems would have been over. Better, what if a group of people do it for all mankind. :p I think all the world's problems would disappear. 

^ No. You would have more problems. The main job of the US Secret Service (the oldest federal branch of law enforcement in the US) is not to protect the president, as most people think, it is to catch counterfeiters. They have been doing this for more than 200 years and are pretty good at it. You wouldn't want them opening a can of 'Freedom' on you ? You wouldn't have less problems. You would trade one set of problems for another set of problem, probably bigger and more serious ones. 

To the OP, like others have said money, like technology, fame, intelligence, or any kind of God(s.w.a) given ability is merely a tool, it is not a goal or an end, or at least it should not be. It is neutral, like a hammer or a kitchen knife. 

Whether it is good or bad depends on how you use it, not the thing itself. If you want to be rich, you should ask yourself 'why' do you want to be rich ? 

And be honest with yourself. If you are really honest with yourself, most of the time it will boil down to a few things, as to why, all these things are solely dunya related. 

Here is a portion of a speech by Imam Ali(a.s) from Nahjul Balagha regarding Death. (Excerpt from Sermon 109)

...In some it stands between him and his power of speaking although he lies amoung his people, looking with eyes, hearing with ears, with full wits and intelligence. He then thinks over how he wasted his life and in what (activities) he passed his time. He recalls the wealth he collected when he had blinded himself in seeking it, and acquired it from fair and foul sources. Now the consequences of collecting it have overtaken him. He gets ready to leave it. It would remain for those who are behind him. They would enjoy it and benefit by it. It would be an easy acquisition for others but a burden on his back, and the man cannot get rid of it. He would thereupon bite his hands with teeth out of shame for what was disclosed to him about his affairs at the time of death. He would dislike what he coveted during the days of his life and would wish that he who envied him on account of it and felt jealous over him for it should have amassed it instead of he himself....

Better things to collect are wisdom and good deeds. Those last forever. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

Salam,

In my opinion, acquiring wealth for the pleasure of Allah(swt) should be partly a muslim's goal, if not all. 

For example, I like to be able to make enough money that I can sustain myself and my family and be able to buy nice things as well. Also be flexible in terms of time. That way I can have more time to do my wajibat without any difficulty. Furthermore, being able to assist the poor has great rewards if the intention is to please Allah(swt). 

On the other side, a 9-5 job is not an ideal thing for a muslim as far as I can think.

Edited by The Light

In most developed societies money buys you freedom and choice.  If you are able to accumulate enough so your livelihood isn't dependent on enslaving yourself working for some greedy owner/corp then to that end that is definitely something one should pursue, beyond that it is just an unnecessary burden.

Wealth is also a symbol of your contribution to society, the more of it you have, the more you've contributed - in a very generalized way without getting into detail.

Wealth accumulated from hard work, reflects your utility and thus status in society.  How that wealth is used, is obviously up to the spender so as long as it's not against Islamic principles.

I think @notme hit the point that security is something we all ought to consider.   I wouldn't go as far to say money in of itself is meaningless or worthless, because with power comes responsibility if it can be used effectively.  But it's neither good nor bad, just how we use it. 

I'm the kind of guy whose grown up always wishing he didn't have a family/burdens to consider so that I can grow up in the smallest house possible and just live a low income life.  But even now I understand making as much money possible will not only help me care for my family and future wife better but it will allow me to give more to those in need.  Not just to the poor, or refugees, but to the masjid, muslim community etc.   Painfully lazy doesn't begin to describe my general theme in life haha.

I would struggle to be a millionaire or billionaire  for others and my community to be strong, so I wouldn't have to watch the news and see on the internet the garbage I'm seeing now.  Though I wish I wouldn't have to struggle for money at all and just live an ignorant peaceful life with no worries, being perfectly content with little and ignoring world problems. 

As muslims, we all should strive for excellence, if we were all successful, we could fix our countries, ummah, and suffering by spreading the success/wealth. 

To pursue wealth for myself would be indulgence,

To pursue wealth for others surely would be pride,

If I seek for fuel in the service of one greater than me,
Who knows all and can command all,
Who has an interest in protecting & nurturing me-

Then surely I have done something permanent, eternal and worthwhile.

As Muslims, we SHOULD strive to become rich, but for selfless reasons. I agree that money is a tool; it is not inherently evil. It's what you do with the money that makes you good or bad, not just having it.

As mentioned above, with money comes power and so much good can be done in the world with power (and resources). Those soup kitchens and hospitals aren't free! The problem is that in the wrong hands, money and power can be dangerous. Public service announcement: Don't strive to become rich and powerful if you're going to misuse it, leave it to the people who have willpower and will use it for good!

On 26 July 2016 at 2:02 AM, King said:

In most developed societies money buys you freedom and choice. 

It's not necessarily a linear relationship.

There is a point at which the accumulation of assets is such that various freedoms and choices become restricted.

Various activities the poorer, less encumbered person, would see as acceptable, the rich person may consider too risky. After all, if he does not come back from ziarat, who will be the custodian of his considerable assets?

Similarly, such activities as academic study may start to have a significant opportunity cost for the wealthy person. Reading books will consume time that could be better spent protecting and accumulating assets.

What people fail to remember is that financial and other, worldly assets need time and attention in order to be maintained and hopefully accumulated.

To a certain extent, this amounts to worthwhile husbandry and if this were not undertaken the complacency could be criticised.

But there does come a point where it becomes an end in itself and it being a means to a more spiritual end becomes lost.