Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
guest050817

Sahabah Series 001: Khuzaymah b. Thabit (ra)

Rate this topic

:bismillah:

:salam:

I am going to be producing a 'Sahaba' series, as often as i can, inshAllah listing hundreds upon hundreds of pious companions we shia muslims revere. These either died during his life time, or after him. I will try to focus more heavily on the ones who died after Muhammed s.a.w. The idea is to dispel the myth that we only believe five  remained loyal and the rest are in jahanam. Rather, it is to bring balance to the distorted view others have about the shia position on the companions of Muhammed s.a.w

Khuzaymah b. Thabit (Radiyallahu anhu) was one of the great companions(Ashaab) of Muhammed s.a.w

According to some reports, Muhammed s.a.w said he was a man of two testimonies. [Tarikh at Tabari - Volume 39]

In Nahjul Balagha, Ali ibn Abi Talib a.s is reported to refer to him as "Dhu'sh-shahadatayn:

"Where are my brethren who took the (right) path and trod in rightness. Where is `Ammar? 4 Where is Ibn at-Tayyihan? 5 Where is Dhu'sh-Shahadatayn?6 And where are others like them7 from among their comrades who had pledged themselves to death and whose (severed) heads were taken to the wicked enemy."

He is known as Dhu'sh-Shahadatayn because the Holy Prophet considered his evidence equivalent to the evidence of two witnesses He was present in the battle of Badr, and other battles as well as in the places of assembly of the Muslims during the lifetime of the Holy Prophet. He is counted among the earliest of those who showed their adherence to Amir al-mu'minin and he was also present in the battle of Jamal and Siffin.

`Abd ar-Rahman ibn Abi Layla narrated that he saw a man in the battle of Siffin fighting the enemy valiantly and when he protested against his action, the man said: I am Khuzaymah ibn Thabit al-Ansari, I have heard the Holy Prophet saying "Fight, fight, by the side of `Ali." (al-Khatib al-Baghdadi, Muwaddih awham al-jam` wa't-tafriq, vol. 1, p. 277).

"Khuzaymah's kunyah was Abu 'Umarah. He had two brothers, Wahwah and 'Abdallah. Khuzaymah carried the banner of [his clan, the] Khatmah, on the day of the conquest of Mecca. He participated in the battle of Siffin on 'All's side and was killed there, in the year 37. " (Tarikh At Tabari, Volume 38 - Book on the Sahaba and their successors).

He is among the companions who outlived Muhammed s.a.w, and on whose authority the hadith of Ghadeer and Thaqalayn are narrated.

In another hadith Zuhri narrated from Ibn Khuzaima that Khuzaimah b Thabit had  a dream in which he says that he was prostrating on the forehead of the Prophet when he narrated this dream to the Prophet and the Prophet affectionaly laid in front of him and said make your dream a reality then Khuzaima prostrated on the forehead of the Prophet.

also mentioned in Tabari book of companions 

Lineage is bin al-Fakih al-Ansari, al-Awsi. Baqir Shareef Quraish in his book “Al-Hasan Al Mujtaba” writes on pg 369.He was given the kunya of Abu Imarah. Allah’s Apostle (a.s.) made his testimony as equal to that of two men. Once, the Prophet bought a horse from Sawa’ bin Qays al-Muharibi. Sawa’ denied the purchase. Khuzayma bore witness for the Prophet. Allah’s Apostle asked him: “What has made you bear witness while you were not present with us?” He replied: “I have believed you in respect of what you have brought and come to know that you say but the truth. So how do I not believe you in respect of this matter?” So Allah’s Apostle said: “For or against whomever Khuzayma bears witness is sufficient to him.” Khuzayma fought on behalf of Allah’s Apostle at the battles of Badr, Uhd and all the battles. He fought on behalf of Imam Ali at the battles of al-Jamal and Siffin. When Ammar bin Yasir was killed at the Battle of Siffin, Khuzayma said: “I heard Allah’s Apostle say: ‘The oppressive party will kill Ammar.’” Then he drew his own sword and fought until he was killed. This has been mentioned in the book Usd al-Ghaba, vol. 2, p. 114

Edited by Panzerwaffe

Can you do Abu Dujanah at some point?

He's revered as the most formidable warrior in the battlefield- after Imam Ali and Hamza- in Sunni seerah  books, but there isn't much information on him. I've read somewhere that he will be one of those who will return with the Imam in the raja.

13 minutes ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

He's revered as the most formidable warrior in the battlefield- after Imam Ali and Hamza- in Sunni seerah  books, but there isn't much information on him. I've read somewhere that he will be one of those who will return with the Imam in the raja.

Salamunalaykum my beloved brother,

I will inshAllah try to set aside time to find as many reports of him as i can in Tarikh At Tabari as well as other early historical works.

If i forget, do remind me.

Is that how you spell his name?

5 hours ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

It appears he fought for Abu Bakr in the first battle of the Ridda wars. 

5 hours ago, Tawheed313 said:

Salamunalaykum my beloved brother,

I will inshAllah try to set aside time to find as many reports of him as i can in Tarikh At Tabari as well as other early historical works.

If i forget, do remind me.

Is that how you spell his name?

:ws: 

In some places, it is spelt without the last 'h'.

This is his Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Dujana

35 minutes ago, Tawheed313 said:

Yes, but many other loyal sahaba did so too (like Abu Ayyub al-Ansari) when it came down to fighting disbelievers. I think Tarikh at-Tabari even says that Imam Hasan and Hussain fought against the Persians in the time of the third Caliph.

The chapter on Imam Ali in Kitab al-Irshad says the following:

"The Commander of the faithful, peace be on him, Abu Dujana and Sahl b. Hunayf supported the people in defending the Prophet."

And this:

"There will come with the Qa’im, peace be on him, from the outskirts of Kufa, twenty-seven men. Fifteen of the people of Moses, who shed their blood for the truth and remained true to it, seven people from the cave, Joshua, Salman, Abu Dujana al-Ansari, al-Miqdad and Malik al-Ashtar. They will act as helpers and judges in his presence.’’ [Page 554]

This picture from another website:

5554.jpg

13 hours ago, Tawheed313 said:

Many supporters of Ali supported the medina govt in ridda wars like ashtar nakhai , adi b hatim etc 

Edited by Panzerwaffe

Khuzaimah was a poet and ibn abi al Hadid in Sharh nah Jul balagah has written many of his verses in praise of ameer ul Momineen,  those who are Arabic speakers (hint hint chaotic muslim) please translate a few here if you have time.

it's rare we see threads on Sahaba esp on Khuzaimah b Thabit 

On 7/23/2016 at 10:25 PM, Tawheed313 said:

:bismillah:

:salam:

I am going to be producing a 'Sahaba' series, as often as i can, inshAllah listing hundreds upon hundreds of pious companions we shia muslims revere. These either died during his life time, or after him. I will try to focus more heavily on the ones who died after Muhammed s.a.w. The idea is to dispel the myth that we only believe five  remained loyal and the rest are in jahanam. Rather, it is to bring balance to the distorted view others have about the shia position on the companions of Muhammed s.a.w

Khuzaymah b. Thabit (Radiyallahu anhu) was one of the great companions(Ashaab) of Muhammed s.a.w

According to some reports, Muhammed s.a.w said he was a man of two testimonies. [Tarikh at Tabari - Volume 39]

In Nahjul Balagha, Ali ibn Abi Talib a.s is reported to refer to him as "Dhu'sh-shahadatayn:

"Where are my brethren who took the (right) path and trod in rightness. Where is `Ammar? 4 Where is Ibn at-Tayyihan? 5 Where is Dhu'sh-Shahadatayn?6 And where are others like them7 from among their comrades who had pledged themselves to death and whose (severed) heads were taken to the wicked enemy."

He is known as Dhu'sh-Shahadatayn because the Holy Prophet considered his evidence equivalent to the evidence of two witnesses He was present in the battle of Badr, and other battles as well as in the places of assembly of the Muslims during the lifetime of the Holy Prophet. He is counted among the earliest of those who showed their adherence to Amir al-mu'minin and he was also present in the battle of Jamal and Siffin.

`Abd ar-Rahman ibn Abi Layla narrated that he saw a man in the battle of Siffin fighting the enemy valiantly and when he protested against his action, the man said: I am Khuzaymah ibn Thabit al-Ansari, I have heard the Holy Prophet saying "Fight, fight, by the side of `Ali." (al-Khatib al-Baghdadi, Muwaddih awham al-jam` wa't-tafriq, vol. 1, p. 277).

"Khuzaymah's kunyah was Abu 'Umarah. He had two brothers, Wahwah and 'Abdallah. Khuzaymah carried the banner of [his clan, the] Khatmah, on the day of the conquest of Mecca. He participated in the battle of Siffin on 'All's side and was killed there, in the year 37. " (Tarikh At Tabari, Volume 38 - Book on the Sahaba and their successors).

He is among the companions who outlived Muhammed s.a.w, and on whose authority the hadith of Ghadeer and Thaqalayn are narrated.

The narration of ibn abi Layla is strange , ibn abi Layla protested against action of Khuzaimah yet it's well known ibn abi Layla and his father abu Layla were supporters of Ali abd left medina to come with Ali to stay in Kufa  (see Isaba ibn hajar and tabari)

Is there anything else narrated about this incident in the source you quoted