Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
LeftCoastMom

Deer guns

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

You mean like caliber or brand, or both?  I like .270 because it has a pretty flat shooting trajectory.  .308 is more popular currently, I think because it's what the military uses.  I think .308 might work better if you're shooting through thicker vegetation because it's a heavier bullet.  We've got a lot more open land in Texas, so .270 works well down here.  There are some other calibers that work well, some fancier and more expensive than others.  .270 rarely sells out when there's a rush on ammo, .308 will.

There are plenty of wooden stock firearms still available, but plastic is becoming more popular because everyone wants to be tactical and there's a push to save every ounce.  Depending on how much you're looking at spending, I hear the Savage Axis series of rifle are supposedly very accurate at a very economical price.  And they have a wooden stock version.  I think if your budget allows, there should be plenty of offerings from companies like Browning/Ruger/Winchester with wooden stocks that should be good.  I haven't been in the deer hunting rifle market in a while, so I'm not too familiar with all the current offerings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, guys...I will pass on the info. Not sure why they prefer the wooden stocks in my family...but they have to lug them, not me. :confused: I just shoot at targets these days and you can just drive right up to the range and unload a flipping cannon if you want to. Although I hear my family will have future problems on ranges if our Muslim member is not allowed in...lol. How would they even know? I don't recall having been asked my religion ever on one... and I don't wear a crucifix around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CreepingSharia said:

.22LR? i'm a fan of the 10/22 by ruger.

Not if you're trying to take the deer down humanely.  I suppose a headshot at less than 75 yards or less could work, but the .22LR is such a light bullet with a light load that any breeze or even a twig in the way, would make it off target.  But the 10/22 is a good .22 rifle.

 

12 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

Thanks, guys...I will pass on the info. Not sure why they prefer the wooden stocks in my family...but they have to lug them, not me. :confused: I just shoot at targets these days and you can just drive right up to the range and unload a flipping cannon if you want to. Although I hear my family will have future problems on ranges if our Muslim member is not allowed in...lol. How would they even know? I don't recall having been asked my religion ever on one... and I don't wear a crucifix around.

I haven't had any issues with my name (pretty Muslim sounding name) at the shooting ranges here, even the small town ones I've been to.  But I haven't been in a while either.  I think most of these range owners are good folks, perhaps a little scared/nervous about the Muslims and Shariah and stuff, but good folks.  There are a few that make news when they try to capitalize one people's fears and publicly announce how they aren't going to let Muslims in.  Plus, if it ever did happen to me, I could always break out one of my other IDs.  But after that, when they'd change their minds, I'd just leave.

Edited by coldcow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 23, 2016 at 5:56 PM, CreepingSharia said:

.22LR? i'm a fan of the 10/22 by ruger.

Wow...You must be a good shot. As ColdCow says, it is light. ( My daughter's ex-Marine instructor referred to the one handed her for her test as a " pea shooter" and after she scored expert with a crosswind anyway, he let her shoot an AR-15 as a reward. He just likes big booms.) However, I know folks who are so skilled with that sort of gun and swear by it for a lot of hunting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, coldcow said:

 

 

I haven't had any issues with my name (pretty Muslim sounding name) at the shooting ranges here, even the small town ones I've been to.  But I haven't been in a while either.  I think most of these range owners are good folks, perhaps a little scared/nervous about the Muslims and Shariah and stuff, but good folks.  There are a few that make news when they try to capitalize one people's fears and publicly announce how they aren't going to let Muslims in.  Plus, if it ever did happen to me, I could always break out one of my other IDs.  But after that, when they'd change their minds, I'd just leave.

Lol! Well, since we are friends with the instructors locally there will likely be no issue here, either. But my sons tease SG that he had better tote an old-school deer gun and not anything that looks " tactical".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its cruel to use anything smaller than .270 on deer imo. Shouldn't count on headshots. My recommendation 7 mm magnum. A 7 mm Mauser or a Springfield aren't bad either. Their shots will neutralize a deer wherever on the body it connects.

Edited by Darth Vader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2016 at 5:54 PM, Darth Vader said:

Its cruel to use anything smaller than .270 on deer imo. Shouldn't count on headshots. My recommendation 7 mm magnum. A 7 mm Mauser or a Springfield aren't bad either. Their shots will neutralize a deer wherever on the body it connects.

7mm magnum is a bit powerful in my opinion.  7mm mag would destroy a ton of meat.  Unless you're taking down mutant elk, or taking 400+ yard shots, .270 is fine.  I've dropped deer with a .243, and I know plenty of people that use 30-30 and even .223.  I guess it all depends on the size of the game you're shooting and the range.  If you can't get a thoracic shot with any of those calibers, you shouldn't be hunting.

Edited by coldcow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@coldcow @CreepingSharia @Darth Vader Okay...related question...I don't really hunt, just shoot targets sometimes  for fun ( Christmas gift certificate was for the range) but wanted to get a hunting magazine for one of my boys ( he requested one, but told me to surprise him) ...in my younger days there was ye olde Field and Stream, but I am clueless as to a good one nowadays. Husband would rather fish, too...so he's not much help. He's going after deer, maybe birds at some point. ( I hope he waits on that because he wants a dog for birds and we will have our hands full with the baby. A puppy  too  might send me over the falls.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@LeftCoastMom

I never really was into hunting magazines for the hunting.  I mainly just liked looking at the guns, some would call gun p***, if you know what I mean.  Anyways, growing up we'd periodically be NRA members and get American Hunter.  Only like $25/year and you'll also probably get a knife/hat/duffel bag, or something like that.  I can't really offer more insight than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you're looking for a gun just to go to the range to have some fun with, once again i recommend the 10/22 by ruger. it holds 10 rounds but you can buy 25 round extension mags. also in addition there are tons of aftermarket products you can get for the 10/22, stocks, trigger/action systems, suppressors, all kinds of scopes too. even different barrel lengths and weights.  there is even a 10/22 takedown model where you essentially take the barrel off and on for easier transportation. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...