Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Faith in the resurrection and pure intention

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

فَمَن كَانَ يَرْجُو لِقَاءَ رَبِّهِ فَلْيَعْمَلْ عَمَلًا صَالِحًا وَلَا يُشْرِكْ بِعِبَادَةِ رَبِّهِ أَحَدًا 

So whoever would hope for the meeting with his Lord - let him do righteous work and not associate in the worship of his Lord anyone." [18.1]

Occasion of revelation : A man came to the Prophet and said: "I give charity/alms  and connect with  my relatives ,and it do it only to please God but when people speak of my work and I would be happy because of their praise."The Prophet was silent then  the above verse was revealed.

Reason of revelation clearly shows sincerity is the foundation of worship and good deeds and there is relation between pure intention and ostentation(Rya) In fact, faith in the Resurrection has two effects, one good deeds and sincerity in practice and believe in meeting of Allah motivates good deeds  and  Full sincerity .
question:Some of the charity organizations  help the poor people, and we know that they deny  resurrection because   they are atheists,therefore, we can do good deeds  without believing in resurrection .How do you explain their actions ?

Answer:Yes, you're right atheist people are doing good deeds ,but their intent is to promote themselves  or acquire reputation or satisfying sense of compassion which  is an instinctive sense.But this verse says that doing good deeds with the intention of pleasing God is possible  in faith in  Resurrection and sort of intention has great role in in human perfection.

For more information , the message of the Qur'an, vol. 1, p. 390 by Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi

I admire a person more if he does good deeds as a result of empathy than a desire for heavenly reward or fear of heavenly punishment. For example, if there was no Heaven, Hell, or Judgement Day, would you steal, cheat, lie, or commit murder? If so, then you're not a type of person that I would like to be around. If not, then you've proven that belief in the resurrection is unnecessary to uphold most of our morality. 

Edited by Ali6
  • Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Ali6 said:

I admire a person more if he does good deeds as a result of empathy than a desire for heavenly reward or fear of heavenly punishment. For example, if there was no Heaven, Hell, or Judgement Day, would you steal, cheat, lie, or commit murder? If so, then you're not a type of person that I would like to be around. If not, then you've proven that belief in the resurrection is unnecessary to uphold most of our morality. 

Salamun alaykum.

In a famous narration, Imam Ali (as) refers to e types of worship:

َ قَالَ ع إِنَّ قَوْماً عَبَدُوا اللَّهَ رَغْبَةً فَتِلْكَ عِبَادَةُ التُّجَّارِ وَ إِنَّ قَوْماً عَبَدُوا اللَّهَ رَهْبَةً فَتِلْكَ عِبَادَةُ الْعَبِيدِ وَ إِنَّ قَوْماً عَبَدُوا اللَّهَ شُكْراً فَتِلْكَ عِبَادَةُ الْأَحْرَارِ

(Nahj al-Balaghah, wise saying 237)

"A group of people worshiped Allah out of desire for reward surely, this is the worship of traders. Another group worshiped Allah out of fear; this is the worship of slaves. Still another group worshiped Allah out of gratefulness; this is the worship of free men."

• Advanced Member

The Qur'an invites believers to purify their intention .

وَأَقِيمُوا وُجُوهَكُمْ عِندَ كُلِّ مَسْجِدٍ وَادْعُوهُ مُخْلِصِينَ لَهُ الدِّينَ  :" devotion in all acts of worship, and calling upon Him with exclusive"  [Al-Araf]

2 points:

1.pure intent does not  mean suppress natural feelings and natural disposition ,pure intention means drive you,r feeling and natural disposition toward to Allah for example if you want to help poor man you have own sympathy but spend sympathy to pleas  of God and seek pleasure of Allah.

some of the commentators explain(    وقدموا لانفسکم) in  the following verse:

نِسَاؤُكُمْ حَرْثٌ لَّكُمْ فَأْتُوا حَرْثَكُمْ أَنَّىٰ شِئْتُمْ ۖ وَقَدِّمُوا لِأَنفُسِكُمْ ۚ
   Your women are a tillage for you, so come to your tillage whenever you like, and send ahead for your souls (Al-Baqara.223).as making pure intention in relation with wives which  means relation with wife must be because of  seeking pleasure of God not duo to animal instinct .Quran will never want to instincts lust  be suppressed Quran wants to lust  be targeted.

2:According our tradition faith is 10 step who is on the up step is not permitted to say to whom is on the down step you are not Muslim as my brother mentioned above to a famous tradition that is quoted from Imam Ali (pbuh):

"A group of people worshiped Allah out of desire for reward surely, this is the worship of traders. Another group worshiped Allah out of fear; this is the worship of slaves. Still another group worshiped Allah out of gratefulness; this is the worship of free men."

people are not same may be give tidings to heaven and fear of hell is useful  to motivate average  people towards moral and prevent them from doing crimes and if there is  not good news(tidings) and alerts  to them never  stimulated to  ethical actions .

• Basic Members
22 hours ago, Ali6 said:

salamun Alaykom;

you are right, i think. all the practices of worship do not have same value. It depends on a lot of things, including the amount of  people who are aware of the act, how act is done, and finally and most importantly, as you mentioned above implicitly,  "intention". for instance, about the valuable worship, holy prophet (S.A.W.A) said:  "Blessed are those who adore worship  embrace it".1 The only people who benefit from the fruits and excellent results of the act of worship are who love worship and practice as if there is no heavenly reward or punishment.

1: طوبی لمن عشق العباده و عانقها