Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Can one be a shia if they have a mental Illness

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

We are all mentally ill to some degree arent we?  We have grandiose delusions about ourselves and the world, and fool ourselves into thinking our physical lives will last forever.  We sin whilst we know it is not right to.  We know the value of prayer and worship yet we dont act on this.  In many cases the difference between that and many of the diagnosable mental illnesses is just a matter of degree

• Advanced Member

I don't see why not. I don't think people who have these kind of mental disorder can fully fill the duties of being muslims, however, some may be excuse to certain practices. It all depends on the the level of illness. I don't think they can pray or fast, but I do believe they will be judge differently on the day of judgement.

Allah made them this way for a reason.

• Veteran Member
20 minutes ago, Talib2016 said:

bi polar,scizoeffective, will you prayers be invalid? can you still be?

I think for prayer, you need to be sober and aware of your surrounding. During an attack of delusion or hallucinations or otherwise, during which you can miss some prayers due to disorientation to time place and person, islam has pardoned you, but you have to make them up after you get sober or have lucid thinking.

Allah is the most merciful and we ought not to forbid someone from seeking him. May Allah cure you and help you through your hardship.

I'm exactly bipolar and schizophrenic brother. Not only can you be a Shia, but the the fact is, we have one advantage, our minds are always thinking right? we are always immersed in our thoughts. Yet Quran praises reflection, so if we reflect over Quran, we have automatic advantage over normal people. That is because our brains thoughts even with medications run faster and we are always immersed in thoughts more then normal people....so instead of paying attention to waswas of Satan, think about Quran and words of Ahlulbayt (as). 

Also regarding our mood disorders, I have found that we can go through periods of intense grief in which we incline to God a certain way with a peace of mind and remember the next world closing our eyes to this world, and, and we also go through periods in which we feel intense pleasure and peace and then dream of possibilities....and it's usually in these two extremes where we experience spirituality at higher plane.

We can use the illness to our advantage, we just have to fight of Iblis and his forces who try to take advantage of our vulnerability.

Edited by StrugglingForTheLight

26 minutes ago, .InshAllah. said:

We are all mentally ill to some degree arent we?  We have grandiose delusions about ourselves and the world, and fool ourselves into thinking our physical lives will last forever.  We sin whilst we know it is not right to.  We know the value of prayer and worship yet we dont act on this.  In many cases the difference between that and many of the diagnosable mental illnesses is just a matter of degree

I would say we are all spiritually ill, I would however define that differently then "mentally ill".

Edited by StrugglingForTheLight

You can definitely be a Shia and have a mental illness. I am bipolar, and I still pray, but for health reasons I can't fast. (Yet!) i once went 7 hours without any food or water and I became so low and depressed and had anxiety. @StrugglingForTheLight Do you fast? My doctor says I can't yet. I've had three physchotic (full-blown manic) episodes and have only been recently diagnosed, and a rapid-cycler.

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

• Basic Members
9 hours ago, Talib2016 said:

bi polar,scizoeffective, will you prayers be invalid? can you still be?

The philosophy of praying is getting closer to the God.when you are closer to The God you are going to get more stronger, more calm  and better in all respects. If you pray and does not feel curing of your sufferings ,you should revise your quality of praying,not stopping, and remember: the esense of all human disorders lie in getting distant from the God..

Edited by ghodrat