Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ruq

Recommend Documentaries

Rate this topic

Salams to all,

I noticed we dont have a thread here dedicated solely to the recommendation of documentaries. I love a good docu, as im sure many of you do too, so lets use this thread to direct each other to docu's we've seen and enjoyed and/or found interesting.

I recently watched a docu called 'Bitter Lake' by Adam Curtis  (i mentioned it on the 'Thoughts' thread) and would recommend it, but even more interesting to me was 'The Century of the Self', also by Adam Curtis.

This is a very interesting docu about how popular psychological approaches of the 20th century, including that of Freud and his nephew Edward Bernays (the father of PR), impacted upon consumerism, politics and identity in the US and how consumerist ideology came to dominate politics. It was made in 2002 and the last episode talks about the approaches of Reagan and Thatcher and how the Clinton politics influenced 'New Labour'.The 3rd hour has some nudity in clips about 'therapies' in the 70's.

This video is all 4 episodes in 1 (approx an hour each in length):

1. Happiness Machines
  2. The Engineering of Consent
  3. There is a Policeman Inside All Our Heads; He Must Be Destroyed
  4. Eight People Sipping Wine in Kettering

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 9:13 AM, billy090 said:

Exploring the Universe.. Subhan Allah..

COSMOS

Cosmos_spacetime_odyssey_titlecard.jpg

At first l thought you were referring to the original 1980s series with Carl Sagan --which l found to be an insult to my intelligence.

The new one, subtitled "a space-time odyssey" with Tysson l haven't seen, only his interview on Charlie Rose.

On 6/30/2016 at 6:01 AM, Ruq said:

I noticed we dont have a thread here dedicated solely to the recommendation of documentaries.

Old thread, when fire was still young.

1 hour ago, Marbles said:

Old thread, when fire was still young.

But...but...i searched and there were no general docu thread to be seen 04.gif please accept my apologies Marbs old chum.

2 hours ago, Ruq said:

But...but...i searched and there were no general docu thread to be seen please accept my apologies Marbs old chum.

No need for an apology love! It's an old thread and many political documentaries are quite dated. It's about time we had a new one. I linked it to put it back on radar if anyone's interested. I won't be updating it though.

And Eid mubarak to you *smiles*

1 hour ago, Marbles said:

No need for an apology love! It's an old thread and many political documentaries are quite dated. It's about time we had a new one. I linked it to put it back on radar if anyone's interested. I won't be updating it though.

And Eid mubarak to you *smiles*

Eid mubarak to you too! f529a952.gifwhy not join me in a celebratory cuppa chai.