Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Dragon123

Dealing With Hard to Believe Prophetic Stories

Rate this topic

Salaam,

While believing in religion and God necessarily entails belief in the "supernatural" and miracles, at times it can feel too much and inconsistent with the reality. While the history of our own prophet and Aimmah (peace be on them) seems rather mundane and believable, the stories of the prophets of old feel a bit different. Although many of the stories contain powerful moral lessons, we shouldn't be prone to interpret them as allegories, as we believe these prophets were real historical figures and the stories are real.

I'll illustrate just a few of many examples from a great book recently published by Sheikh Rizwan Arastu "God's Emmissaries: Adam to Jesus." I will provide sources for any of these upon request.

Woman during the time of Noah menstruated yearly, instead of monthly

“It was not only men who opposed Noah. There were women who began dressing and acting indecently, dousing themselves in perfume, and mingling with men in illicit pleasure. They would adorn themselves with jewelry and don silken garments and sit with men in public celebration. Until that time, all women menstruated only once annually. To impede these women’s lust, God made them menstruate every month to diminish their desire, to occupy them with their bleeding, and so the men would distance themselves from them. This retribution initially affected only these corrupt women who numbered some 700. However, in coming generations, the progeny of the women with monthly cycles interbred with the progeny of the righteous women with annual cycles. Since the women with monthly cycles were more successful at conceiving and bearing children, this trait came to dominate and eventually drove the other trait to extinction.55”

People did not grow gray hair until Abraham did

“When Isaac reached adulthood, he looked so similar to his father that people had trouble distinguishing them. In those days, people’s hair did not turn grey, so the vast difference in their ages did not help set one apart from the other.281 Then one day, when Abraham was grooming himself, he noticed a grey hair in his beard. He had never seen a grey hair, and so he asked God concerning this, and God told him, “It is a sign of dignity.”
Hearing this Abraham prayed, “God, increase my dignity.282 Praise is for God who has brought me to this ripe old age without my having sinned for a moment.”283”

Mary was miraculously transported to Karbala to give birth, while Musa was transported there to receive his prophethood.

Solomon commanded an army of jinns, birds and talked to ants.

The entire Nile river turned to blood, but only to the disbelievers. When the believers drank from it, it was clear water.

Noah lived 2500 years and most of the other prophets of old lived at least few hundred years old (without seemingly any comments from the population).

-------------------------

These are to just name a few of several stories. I have found it hard to understand many of stories in historical context and many modern historians have their own scathing criticisms of these prophets and their stories (such as Exodus, the flood etc..), albeit from a Biblical perspective.

At first, I was nervous and perhaps even ashamed to make a thread like this. Most people seem to read these narratives and it has little effect on their certainty of Islam. It makes one feel their faith is deficient and by pointing out difficulties, you are insulting the religion and scripture and demeaning God's ability . However, I wish to be honest with myself that such stories do cause doubts for me and haven't sat well with me for years.  If someone were to ask me to defend and make sense of many of these stories and histories, I would have a lot of trouble doing so and feel it to be unnatural. I have always craved a faith that is perfect and can have certainty without having lingering doubts and things swept under the mental rug. Although certainty none of these are core Islamic tenets, they are in our tradition and we have to deal with them.

How would do you guys deal with stories like these?

How do you guys deal with Islamic issues that go against what you deep down inside think is right?

I doubt that the women of Noah's time menstruated once a year because we share a common ancestor with the chimpanzee and female chimps menstruate once every 37 days. Having said that, I believe that Adam was a product of evolution, not spontaneous creation.

Edited by Ali6

35 minutes ago, Ali6 said:

I doubt that the women of Noah's time menstruated once a year because we share a common ancestor with the chimpanzee and female chimpanzees menstruate once every 37 days. Having said that, I believe that Adam was a product of evolution than spontaneous creation.

Salamun alaikum

May God forgive you for that. You believe that man's ancestors were apes? Seriously?

I don't think you recite the holy Qur'an. Its clearly mentioned that Allah(swt) has made man superior over all other creature. Also man is Allah's(swt) best and most  perfect creature.

“And surely we have honoured the children of Adam, and carried them on the land and at the sea, and provided them with good things, and we have made them to excel by an appropriate excellence over many of those we created.” (17:70) 

You say that Adam, who was a prophet evolved from an ape?

Forget Adam, Allah says man is superior. What are you talking man? 

Not believing in the book of Allah means you don't believe in his message, not believing his message means that you don't believe in his messenger and if you don't believe in his messenger you don't believe in Allah. 

I don't know what kind of Muslim you are.

May Allah (swt) forgive you.

Wassalam

Edited by Mir Ali

22 minutes ago, Mir Ali said:

Salamun alaikum

May God forgive you for that. You believe that man's ancestors were apes? Seriously?

I don't think you recite the holy Qur'an. Its clearly mentioned that Allah(swt) has made man superior over all other creature. Also man is Allah's(swt) best and most  perfect creature.

“And surely we have honoured the children of Adam, and carried them on the land and at the sea, and provided them with good things, and we have made them to excel by an appropriate excellence over many of those we created.” (17:70) 

You say that Adam, who was a prophet evolved from an ape?

Forget Adam, Allah says man is superior. What are you talking man? 

Not believing in the book of Allah means you don't believe in his message, not believing his message means that you don't believe in his messenger and if you don't believe in his messenger you don't believe in Allah. 

I don't know what kind of Muslim you are.

May Allah (swt) forgive you.

Wassalam

Does man not consider that We created him from a [mere] sperm-drop (Quran 36:77)

Forget apes for a moment. We came from sperm, a impurity and behold!, from this arose Ahlulbayt, the greatest exemplars of righteous character.

And indeed, you are of a great moral character. (Quran 68:4)

I believe in the harmony of science and religion and my friend, the theory of evolution (including its teaching that humans share a common ancestor with animals) is substantiated with overwhelming evidence. We need to reinterpret our scriptures to conform with modern science or else we risk becoming backwarded religionists like those who believe that the Earth is only 6,000 years old. 

8 hours ago, Ali6 said:

Does man not consider that We created him from a [mere] sperm-drop (Quran 36:77)

Forget apes for a moment. We came from sperm, a impurity and behold!, from this arose Ahlulbayt, the greatest exemplars of righteous character.

I believe in the harmony of science and religion and my friend, the theory of evolution (including its teaching that humans share a common ancestor with animals) is substantiated with overwhelming evidence. We need to reinterpret our scriptures to conform with modern science or else we risk becoming backwarded religionists like those who believe that the Earth is only 6,000 years old. 

Don't interpret the holy Qur'an in your manner. Your neither a scholar nor an infallible. 

Be careful when you talk about ahlulbait, Allah has purified them from all forms of sins. They are infallible.

No one is telling you to not learn science, but that doesn't mean we have to agree with everything science throws at us.

The Qur'anic verses clearly indicate that Allah(swt) descended Adam from heaven when he did a mistake. Don't go against Qur'an, fear Allah.

Who is greater Allah(swt) or Charles Darwin?

I'm not telling you to totally ignore science and go to the dark ages. The prophet(saw) and imams have ordered us to gain as much knowledge as possible. But this doesn't mean we have to support a theory which indirectly tells us that there is no God.

Darwin had no belief in revelation of Christ and he claimed that he was a Christian, now I don't know what kind of Christian he was. There's no clarity about his religion, but it's clear from his theory and beliefs that he was an atheist.

You are free to have your own belief. 

May Allah (swt) guide us all in the right path.

Wassalam.

Edited by Mir Ali

9 hours ago, Mir Ali said:

Don't interpret the holy Qur'an in your manner. Your neither a scholar nor an infallible. 

Be careful when you talk about ahlulbait, Allah has purified them from all forms of sins. They are infallible.

No one is telling you to not learn science, but that doesn't mean we have to agree with everything science throws at us.

The Qur'anic verses clearly indicate that Allah(swt) descended Adam from heaven when he did a mistake. Don't go against Qur'an, fear Allah.

Who is greater Allah(swt) or Charles Darwin?

I'm not telling you to totally ignore science and go to the dark ages. The prophet(saw) and imams have ordered us to gain as much knowledge as possible. But this doesn't mean we have to support a theory which indirectly tells us that there is no God.

Darwin had no belief in revelation of Christ and he claimed that he was a Christian, now I don't know what kind of Christian he was. There's no clarity about his religion, but it's clear from his theory and beliefs that he was an atheist.

You are free to have your own belief. 

May Allah (swt) guide us all in the right path.

Wassalam.

This is not the first nor probably the last time Muslims will reinterpret the Quran to conform with modern science. For example, check out this verse:

O company of jinn and mankind, if you are able to pass beyond the regions of the heavens and the earth, then pass. You will not pass except by authority [from Allah ]. (Quran 55:33)

Until less than a century ago, some Muslim scholars have reinterpreted this verse to mean that God prophesied that humanity will be able to traverse through space using His laws. [1] [2]

By the way, the point of my previous response is that if you can accept the fact that Muhammad, the greatest creation of God, was made from sperm, an impurity, then you shouldn't have a problem accepting the fact that Adam was made from an ape.

Assume for a moment that evolution is true. Do you expect God to have described it to people living around 1400 years ago? Isn't it more rational that God would have described creation in a way in accordance with the capacity of the people at that time?

Also, how could you reject a theory because of the theorist's religious views? For example, James Watson and Francis Crick who both discovered the molecular structure of DNA were humanists. Sigmund Freud was also an atheist and he's the founder of psychoanalysis which remains influential within psychology, psychiatry, and psychotherapy. Not to mention Ivan Pavlov, known for his work in classical conditioning. All of these individuals discovered God's handiworks irrespective of their religious identity.  

Explain to me how the theory of evolution indirectly negates the existence of God as you claimed. 

Edited by Ali6

20 hours ago, Dragon123 said:

Salaam,

While believing in religion and God necessarily entails belief in the "supernatural" and miracles, at times it can feel too much and inconsistent with the reality. While the history of our own prophet and Aimmah (peace be on them) seems rather mundane and believable, the stories of the prophets of old feel a bit different. Although many of the stories contain powerful moral lessons, we shouldn't be prone to interpret them as allegories, as we believe these prophets were real historical figures and the stories are real.

I'll illustrate just a few of many examples from a great book recently published by Sheikh Rizwan Arastu "God's Emmissaries: Adam to Jesus." I will provide sources for any of these upon request.

Mary was miraculously transported to Karbala to give birth, while Musa was transported there to receive his prophethood.

The entire Nile river turned to blood, but only to the disbelievers. When the believers drank from it, it was clear water.

Noah lived 2500 years and most of the other prophets of old lived at least few hundred years old (without seemingly any comments from the population).

These are to just name a few of several stories. I have found it hard to understand many of stories in historical context and many modern historians have their own scathing criticisms of these prophets and their stories (such as Exodus, the flood etc..), albeit from a Biblical perspective.

At first, I was nervous and perhaps even ashamed to make a thread like this. Most people seem to read these narratives and it has little effect on their certainty of Islam. It makes one feel their faith is deficient and by pointing out difficulties, you are insulting the religion and scripture and demeaning God's ability . However, I wish to be honest with myself that such stories do cause doubts for me and haven't sat well with me for years.  If someone were to ask me to defend and make sense of many of these stories and histories, I would have a lot of trouble doing so and feel it to be unnatural. I have always craved a faith that is perfect and can have certainty without having lingering doubts and things swept under the mental rug. Although certainty none of these are core Islamic tenets, they are in our tradition and we have to deal with them.

How do you guys deal with Islamic issues that go against what you deep down inside think is right?

I thought that this book relied upon the stronger narrations (which judging by what you have quoted, it doesn't) - but generally speaking, when I head something weird, I try and find out the authenticity of it.

@Dragon123 Ha! You have not read it all XD There are some weirder stuff.

I've read them like 20+ years ago, still some does not make sense, others became gems as time passed 

I'd recommend the safe approach : wait and see

If the tradition is correct, it'll make sense as you learn more about religion

If the tradition is incorrect, you will be informed about its inauthenticity. An example is the story of prophet snooping at woman in a bath, the story might be in sunni books but some shia scholars collect all stories in one book. The story is one of the israelittes , stories adopted from the OT by the early muslim converts rather than true hadiths from prophet or imams.

I'm actually in the process of reading this book right now,  I think it's highly readable and enjoyable.  That being said, I come from a progressive Christian/humanist background so inclined to view the stories of the Prophets (AS) as at least part metaphor (e.g.,  I think Noah was probably a real person, but he didn't really live 2500 years as we think of them.)  I took a lot of anthropology classes at university  The physical evidence of evolution is quite obvious,  so the story of Adam (AS) must be allegorical. 

Edited by Paul Wick
Typos

2 hours ago, Chaotic Muslem said:

@Dragon123 Ha! You have not read it all XD There are some weirder stuff.

I've read them like 20+ years ago, still some does not make sense, others became gems as time passed 

I'd recommend the safe approach : wait and see

If the tradition is correct, it'll make sense as you learn more about religion

If the tradition is incorrect, you will be informed about its inauthenticity. An example is the story of prophet snooping at woman in a bath, the story might be in sunni books but some shia scholars collect all stories in one book. The story is one of the israelittes , stories adopted from the OT by the early muslim converts rather than true hadiths from prophet or imams.

The author of the book does a really good job of footnoting, and including traditions he didn't think made sense (with the reasons why)   I think he did a really good job trying to be scholarly with something that by its very nature (I.e. oral traditions) can only be pseudoscientific. 

23 hours ago, Dragon123 said:

Salaam,

Hold on to the Qur'an. Anything else you can keep as long it doesn't contradict with the former or reason. You may even reject it if it discomforts you but hold on the Qur'an.

This is the Book about which there is no doubt, a guidance for those conscious of Allah -

Edited by Faruk

9 hours ago, Ali6 said:

Explain to me how the theory of evolution indirectly negates the existence of God as you claimed. 

I said that because, according to theory of evolution, as you say Adam was evolved from apes.

Astaghfirullah

But the Qur'an and 3 other holy books tell us that Allah created Adam in heaven.

The theory of evolution is in denial with the holy books. 

If you use little logic, you'll realise that Darwin is trying to tell us that there's no God.

About science, I told you earlier, no one is telling you to reject all scientific theories. But this doesn't mean you have to accept everything science throws at you.

As a Shia Muslim, the Qur'an and the teachings of ahlulbait must be the first word for you.

I told you earlier too, you are free to have your own belief. But don't forget, Allah(swt) will take into account each and every deed on the day of judgement.

On June 28, 2016 at 6:28 AM, Dragon123 said:

read about this:

Tayy al-Arḍ (Arabicطيّ الأرض‎‎ "folding up of the earth") is the name for thaumaturgical teleportation in the mystical form of Islamic religious and philosophical tradition. The concept has been expressed as "traversing the earth without moving"; some have termed it "moving by the earth being displaced under one's feet". It is a concept widely familiar to the SunnisShī‘īs and Sufis, each group having a different interpretation on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay_al-Arz

Though in case of prophet Musa, as far as i know, the angel gabriel carried him up to the mount of Sinai. Like how Buraq carried our prophet from Makkah to Quds.

11 hours ago, Mir Ali said:

I said that because, according to theory of evolution, as you say Adam was evolved from apes.

Astaghfirullah

But the Qur'an and 3 other holy books tell us that Allah created Adam in heaven.

The theory of evolution is in denial with the holy books. 

If you use little logic, you'll realise that Darwin is trying to tell us that there's no God.

About science, I told you earlier, no one is telling you to reject all scientific theories. But this doesn't mean you have to accept everything science throws at you.

As a Shia Muslim, the Qur'an and the teachings of ahlulbait must be the first word for you.

I told you earlier too, you are free to have your own belief. But don't forget, Allah(swt) will take into account each and every deed on the day of judgement.

You have to posit some kind of theory  as to what the fossil evidence commonly used to demonstrate evolution in humans means if you hold that such evolution is not possible   They can't all be apes. 

To prove the evolution theory and turn it from a mere theory into a scientific and decisive law, there is a need for rational proof or else the theory must be proved through experiments and sense and there is not a third way.
However, there is no room for any rational and philosophical reasons to be presented in connection with evolution, not to mention the fact that experiment does not have access to things which existed millions of years ago.  What we feel through the senses and experimentation are superficial changes which take place as "mutations" in animals and plants. For example, a sheep is born to a generation of sheep whose wool is quite different from the wool of ordinary sheep i.e. it's wool is more delicate and softer. That change is the cause of the birth of a generation of sheep called "Merinos Sheep". That is because of the wool.
Perhaps, some animals have different eye colors or finger or skin and the likes due to mutation but no one has seen mutation in a metamorphic way in the sense that substantial change may have occurred with the main organs of animal or that a species may have ended up becoming a completely variant form of animal.
Therefore, we can simply guess that the accumulation of mutations might one day lead to a metamorphic change and result in a variant form such as a reptile becoming a bird but this is never a decisive guess and it is only a conjecture because we have never encountered such mutations in the concrete external world.
We conclude from the foregoing explanation that the proponents of evolution cannot take this theory farther than a simple theory. It is for the same reason that those discussing this issue continues to term it as a theory, not as an established law or principle.
It appears from the outward meaning of the verses of the Quran about creation of Adam that he was first made of mud. After completion of his body, soul was blown into it whereupon all angels except Iblis prostrated themselves in front of him. The Quran's explanation in this regard shows that there had not been other genre or kinds of animals in between the creation of man and his present form.

@ghalijawadi

In the scientific world, believe it or not, theories hold a higher level of importance than facts.

For example, let's suppose that you wanted to see if there is a relationship between age and religiosity among Muslims. So you administer a survey to a 1,000 random Muslims asking two questions: (1) "What is your age?" and (2) "How would you rate your level of religiosity in a scale or 0 to 10 with 10 being the most religious?". At the end of the day, you'll have 2,000 facts which are meaningless in of themselves. For example, what good does it do you that participant A is 27 years old and rated his/her religiosity as an 8? It is only when you analyze this set of data and come to a conclusion, namely: There is a positive correlation between age and religiosity among Muslims. This is why a theory is more important because it is "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses" (National Center for Science Education). Examples of other scientific theories include atomic theory, germ theory, etc. 

In regards to proof that humans share a common ancestor with animals, check this out...

Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes and our second chromosome has remnants of a second centromere and remnants of telomere sequences in the middle. This means that at some point in time, humans had 24 pairs of chromosomes. Now, the great apes - namely, chimps, gorillas, and orangutans - have the same genetic sequence of our second chromosome but located on two of their chromosomes. Therefore, based on this finding alone, one can conclude that either Allah is deceptive or your interpretation of Adam and Eve is garbage. 

Edited by Ali6

On 28 June 2016 at 6:56 AM, Ali6 said:

Don't you think it's problematic to constantly reinterpret scripture in light of modern science? Since it is by its nature something that constantly changes, the interpretation you are giving is only valid as long as the science is. So for example, if we are discussing the origins of the universe, then for as long as scientists agree with the Big Bang theory, we interpret the Qur'an that way, but if they change to another theory, then we give a different interpretation to the Qur'an?

While I don't necessarily have a problem with trying to reconcile modern scientific theories with the Qur'an, I do think we need to be careful not to be too definite about these interpretations, and not risk engaging in ridiculous mental gymnastics in order to reconcile the two. Let's not forget that scientific theories by their nature look for the best naturalistic interpretation of events, while we believe that supernatural explanations are possible. Therefore if something indeed does have a supernatural explanation, this is not something that will ever be endorsed by science, and so attempting to reconcile the two would be futile.

On the subject of evolution, while it certainly seems possible to interpret the creation of Adam given in the Qur'an as a metaphor, I do think there are issues when it comes to the historicity of Adam. He is clearly presented as a historical figure, and so is his wife. Together, they are meant to be the ancestors of all humans, which I think current scientists would have an issue with.

On 29 June 2016 at 0:39 AM, Ali6 said:

This is not the first nor probably the last time Muslims will reinterpret the Quran to conform with modern science. For example, check out this verse:

O company of jinn and mankind, if you are able to pass beyond the regions of the heavens and the earth, then pass. You will not pass except by authority [from Allah ]. (Quran 55:33)

Until less than a century ago, some Muslim scholars have reinterpreted this verse to mean that God prophesied that humanity will be able to traverse through space using His laws. [1] [2]

By the way, the point of my previous response is that if you can accept the fact that Muhammad, the greatest creation of God, was made from sperm, an impurity, then you shouldn't have a problem accepting the fact that Adam was made from an ape.

Assume for a moment that evolution is true. Do you expect God to have described it to people living around 1400 years ago? Isn't it more rational that God would have described creation in a way in accordance with the capacity of the people at that time?

Also, how could you reject a theory because of the theorist's religious views? For example, James Watson and Francis Crick who both discovered the molecular structure of DNA were humanists. Sigmund Freud was also an atheist and he's the founder of psychoanalysis which remains influential within psychology, psychiatry, and psychotherapy. Not to mention Ivan Pavlov, known for his work in classical conditioning. All of these individuals discovered God's handiworks irrespective of their religious identity.  

You cannot be going around telling that adam was an ape when you clearly have not read al quran al karim. Where have you read that Adam was an ape...... Allah said he created him from soil. Where has Allah said that he was an ape. That is just you being rude to on eof the holy prophets. 

32.7. (Allah is He) who has made everything He created better, and He began the creation of the human (being) out of clay.

does it say he began the creation of ape out of clay.

animal out of water . Of them (is a category which) walks upon its belly,  (another which) walks upon two legs, and ( a third which) walks upon four . Allah creates what He wills. Allah is Able to do everything (he wants) .

Does it say anywhere Adam was made from water to be an ape no.

And to just rub it in i am only 13 years old

wassalam