Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
mshivji

What is the purpose of a masjid/mosque/imambargah.

Rate this topic

Just curious as to what all of u'll think the purpose of a masjid/mosque/imambargah any place of worship is ?

the reason I ask is because we have 2 school of thoughts in re: to the purpsose of any place of worship either it be called/referred as : imambargah/mosque/masjid/etc.

one school of though sees/views places of worship as an extension to the madressa where we always ask: AFTER MADRESSA WHAT ??? Well a place of worship that has the same quran, duas, islamic teachings, namaaz should compliment the madressa where a child/youth/adult/etc are exposed to the same quran and the ahlulbayt. This way we are not only exposed during the madressa timings which is way far lesser than the places of worshipping events and thus adding them both we have a whole lot of learning experience and exposure.

2nd school of thought is : a madressa is sufficient for the exposure of the quran and ahlulbayt and the learning of it. The places of worship is no differnt than a feeding center like any other feeding centers (feed my starving children, soup kitchen, salvation army) where the purpose is to be in the kitchen during the entire event of the imambargah and just feed the people and nothing more. As for the quan and the teachings of the ahlulbayt since that is taking place in the 4 walls of the madressa that is sufficient and no more is needed. The next place is to take from the madressa to the homes but NOT IN THE IMAMBARGAH.

What's ur take ? i'd like to hear from all of u'll .

jz.

3 hours ago, mshivji said:

Just curious as to what all of u'll think the purpose of a masjid/mosque/imambargah any place of worship is ?

the reason I ask is because we have 2 school of thoughts in re: to the purpsose of any place of worship either it be called/referred as : imambargah/mosque/masjid/etc.

one school of though sees/views places of worship as an extension to the madressa where we always ask: AFTER MADRESSA WHAT ??? Well a place of worship that has the same quran, duas, islamic teachings, namaaz should compliment the madressa where a child/youth/adult/etc are exposed to the same quran and the ahlulbayt. This way we are not only exposed during the madressa timings which is way far lesser than the places of worshipping events and thus adding them both we have a whole lot of learning experience and exposure.

2nd school of thought is : a madressa is sufficient for the exposure of the quran and ahlulbayt and the learning of it. The places of worship is no differnt than a feeding center like any other feeding centers (feed my starving children, soup kitchen, salvation army) where the purpose is to be in the kitchen during the entire event of the imambargah and just feed the people and nothing more. As for the quan and the teachings of the ahlulbayt since that is taking place in the 4 walls of the madressa that is sufficient and no more is needed. The next place is to take from the madressa to the homes but NOT IN THE IMAMBARGAH.

What's ur take ? i'd like to hear from all of u'll .

jz.

Mosque is for Muslims.

Madressa and imambargah has no restrictions and should be open to all.

Great question BTW

Edited by shiaman14

Thnx for the responses. I believe I need to clarify. Yes mosque has its restrictions to Muslims and not the other. But what I meant is the purpose for it. Should a madressa only be seen as a place for learning/listening/hearing Quran within its 4 walls and then taken home; but the next door imambargah should be seen as a kitchen: eat, drink and be merry OR should the imambargah also be viewed as a place of the the same MADRESSA Quran nd imambargah?

13 hours ago, mshivji said:

Thnx for the responses. I believe I need to clarify. Yes mosque has its restrictions to Muslims and not the other. But what I meant is the purpose for it. Should a madressa only be seen as a place for learning/listening/hearing Quran within its 4 walls and then taken home; but the next door imambargah should be seen as a kitchen: eat, drink and be merry OR should the imambargah also be viewed as a place of the the same MADRESSA Quran nd imambargah?

well it depends on the community resources.

If you are blessed to be in a place that can afford a separate mosque, madressa and imambargah - then you can separate out they purposes. However if the community is small, then the same place needs to fulfill all the community's needs including entertainment & recreation. IMHO of course.

i don't seem to be able to clarify as to what i am really asking.

so i'll try once again.

i m not talking about being blessed or not. having one or not.

all i m asking is if u observed or heard or were in a place that treated the imambargah and the madressa the way i have written 1. what would ur response be ? 2, what do u think (regardless of being able to or not able to have the facilities) in general when u hear "imambargah" the purpose should be ?

should the madressa only cater towards the quran and the ahlulbayt recitaions and learning and spritualization and the imambargah simply as a "place to feed people" and nothing more or an imambargah should have the same quran and ahlulbayt recitations and learning and spirituality complementary to the madressa.

that's what i m looking for an opinion as to the "reason of an imambargah" keeping aside where u are and if u'll have one or not.

i hope this clarified.

HOPE THE FOLLOWING HELPS TO UNDERSTAND. I WILL F/U WITH MORE:-

We do not need strategy/blueprint/rocket scientist but plan simple common sense which sometimes people can have degrees/diplomas/certificates on their walls but nonsense out of their hands/mouth.

What strategy does one need or blueprints or rocket scientist plan when a child comes to an adult and says :- WITH DUE RESPECT FATHER/UNCLE IF IT IS WRONG TO BE OUTSIDE WHILE THE HOLY QURAN/DUAS/PRAYERS/TASBEEHS/ZIARATS/ETC IS TAKING PALCE IN THE IMAMBARGAH THEN WHY IS THE MADRESSA STAFF DOING IT.

SO U HAVE 3 RESPONSES TO GIVE TO THE CHILD :- 1. THE MADRESSA STAFF IS RIGHT BUT U ARE WRONG (MEANING IT IS OK THAT THE MADRESSA STAFF NOT NEED TO SHOW AN EXAMPLE TO THE SAME MADRESSA STUDENT OF THE IMAMBARGAH) 2. THE MADRESSA STAFF IS WRONG BUT HE/SHE IS IMMUNE (DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY) 3. LIKE THE SECULARISTS BELIVE (WHICH IS TOTALLY UNISLAMIC) DO AS THEY SAY (DURING  THE MADRESSA TIMINGS) BUT DON'T DO AS THEY DO (BEING HYPOCRITS IN THE IMAMBARGAH)....

So which Einstein/Physics/Calculus/Chemistry is needed to make a simple thing like TREATING THE MADRESSA AND IMAMBARGAH THE SAME FOR IT'S THE SAME QURAN/DUAS/NAMAAZ/PRAYERS/ZIARATS/TASBEEHS/ETC THAT IS BEING USED...the only difference is he building/timings

We pray that the Almighty grant us the ability/strength esp. from here onwards (the month of sacrifice/Imam Hussein) until the Day of Judgment that we upkeep the words/respect of the Holy Quran and Ahlulbayt for every breadth we takeSince I still care and will care about my moamineen brothers/sisters I have a 1 time fun filled family exercise (and u all thought Mohamed Shivji is boring and never has fun) but I guarantee that A LIFE LONG LESSON TILL THE DAY OF JUDGEMENT, will take place.

Ready: here we go:- I want you'll to get 3 pieces of cloth (handkerchief for example) and come back and read the rest. (P.S:- if you have a family then get the family together and have them participate).....

Now take the 1st handkerchief/piece of cloth and tie the end to the end of the 2nd handkerchief/piece of cloth. Then tile the 2nd handkerchief/piece of cloth with the 3rd. (Now u should have 3 handkerchiefs where the 1st is tied to the 2nd and the 2nd tied to the 3rd).

So now move the 3rd handkerchief around here and there wherever you want (in circles too). Can anyone tell me what they noted.

I am sure you must be saying : WELL THE OBVIOUS : AS I MOVE THE 3RD PIECE OF THE CLOTH THE 1ST/2ND FOLLOW: WHAT ELSE WERE WE SUPPOSE TO SEE HAPPEN ???

Now if we are all on the same page NOW DO THE 2ND PART OF EXERCISE AS FOLLOWS;-

Untie the 2nd piece of cloth from the 1st and 3rd and take it out of the picture (put it away or place it in ur pocket).....

So now u should have only 2 untied pieces of cloth (one on the left side and the other on the right side)....

DON'T GET BORED FOR HERE IS THE INTERESTING PART TO COME :

I want you to move the piece of cloth on the right hand side round and round (even in circles) NOW TELL ME WHAT U SEE HAPPEINING ?

IF ANYONE OF YOU TELLS ME THE HANDKERCHIEF ON THE LEFT COMES ALONG THEN U HAVE TO YOUTUBE IT AND SEND IT TO ME AND I'LL FREAK OUT.

all of you'll will agree/accept (unless you are a magician) that as long as u move 1 handkerchief the other stayed behind.

Now let give names/titles to these handkerchiefs : Name/Title the 1st handkerchief as Madrassa; the 2nd :- Imambargah; and the 3rd :- Home.

If the 1st piece of cloth (Madrassa) expects the students to go home (3rd piece of cloth) and practice/listen/recite/respect/etc. the Quran/Duas/Islamic knowledge/Namaaz/ziarat/etc. without the presence of CLOTH NO. 2 (THE IMAMBARGAH) THEN HOW DOES IT HAPPEN....

As we proved that the only way the 3rd piece of cloth moved the 1st piece of cloth was the presence and tied corners of the 2nd piece of cloth in btwn

THEN THE ONY WAY THE MADRESSA STUDENTS ARE ABLE TO TAKE THEIR WORK HOME IS WHEN THEY PRACTICE THAT SAME RESPECT/PRACTICE/LISTEN/RECITE AT THE IMAMBARAGAH...

Is that fair to say OR DOES ANYONE HAS SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO SAY....

Tc. Kh.

P.S/N.B.:- 

THE DIFFERENCE BTWN A ZAKIR AND AN AALIM IS AN AALIM WOULD SEND PEOPLE AWAY IF THEY CAME TO HIM WITH OTHER PEOPLE'S TALK.

BUT A ZAKIR (LIKE A VACCUUM) WILL HOSE IT IN AND ON TOP OF IT WILL DO THE FAVOR FOR THE PEOPLE BY SPEAKING ON THEIR BEHALF.

AND BY THE WAY I AM STILL ALIVE AND BREATHING AND TO MY KNOWLEDGE HAVEN'T CHOSEN ANYONE TO SPEAK ON MY BEHALF.....