Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
guest050817

Prophetic ahadith from Volume 2-8 of Kitab Al Kafi

Rate this topic

Chapter 134 - Pride and Arrogance

(الفخر والكبر)

The Messenger of Allah(s.a.w) has said, ‘The misfortune for lineage is boastfulness and feeling self-important.’”

علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن النوفلي ، عن السكوني ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله آفة الحسب الافتخار والعجب.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: ضعيف على المشهور Mirat Al Uqul]

“The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) has said, ‘The misfortune for lineage is boastfulness.’”

علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن النوفلي ، عن السكوني ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله آفة الحسب الافتخار.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: قد مر سندا ومتنا إلا زيادة « والعجب » في آخر الأول ، وكان الراوي رواه على الوجهين. Mirat Al Uqul]

Edited by uponthesunnah

The Messenger of Allah s.a.w has said: ‘The one who wakes up in the morning without thinking of being unjust to anyone, Allah (azwj) would Forgive him whatever sins he commits'

علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن النوفلي ، عن السكوني ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله من أصبح لا يهم بظلم أحد غفر الله ما اجترم.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: ضعيف على المشهور Mirat Al Uqul]

A similar hadith:

Abu Abdullah a.s said: ‘The one who wakes up in the morning without intending to be unjust to anyone, Allah (azwj) would Forgive him whatever he sins during that day for as long as he does not spill blood or consume the wealth of an orphan unlawfully’

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: Muwathaq Mirat Al Uqul]

The Messenger of Allah s.a.w has said: ‘Beware of doing injustice; on the Day of Judgment there will be much darkness.’” 

محمد بن يحيى ، عن أحمد بن محمد بن عيسى ، عن محمد بن عيسى ، عن منصور ، عن هشام بن سالم ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله اتقوا الظلم فإنه ظلمات يوم القيامة.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: Saheeh Mirat Al Uqul]

A second chain with the same hadith as above:  ابن أبي عمير ، عن بعض أصحابه ، عن أبي عبد الله 

The Messenger of Allah s.a.w has said: ‘The one who fears retaliation should refrain from oppressing people'

عدة من أصحابنا ، عن سهل بن زياد ، عن علي بن أسباط عمن ذكره ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله من خاف القصاص كف عن ظلم الناس.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: ضعيف على المشهور. Mirat Al Uqul]

Similar hadith from Amirul mumineen a.s:

عنه ، عن أبيه ، عن هارون بن الجهم ، عن حفص بن عمر ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال أمير المؤمنين صلوات الله عليه من خاف القصاص كف عن ظلم الناس.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: Majhool. Mirat Al Uqul]

Chapter 141 Desertion [And abandonment

(باب الهجرة)

The Messenger of Allah s.a.w has said: ‘There should be no desertion (ceasing of relationship) for more than three (days)’

علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ومحمد بن إسماعيل ، عن الفضل بن شاذان ، عن ابن أبي عمير ، عن هشام بن الحكم ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلامقال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله لا هجرة فوق ثلاث.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: Hasan-like-Saheeh. Mirat Al Uqul]

Chapter 142 – Failing to make Maintain good relations with relatives

(قطيعة الرحم)

The Messenger of Allah s.a.w has said in a Hadeeth: ‘Indeed in hatred there is shaving. I do not mean thereby shaving/tearing of the hair, but shaving[destruction] of the Religion’.

علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن ابن أبي عمير ، عن عمر بن أذينة ، عن مسمع بن عبد الملك ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله في حديث ألا إن في التباغض الحالقة لا أعني حالقة الشعر ولكن حالقة الدين.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: Hasan-like-Saheeh. Mirat Al Uqul]

The Messenger of Allah s.a.w has said : ‘Do not cut off [fail to maintain good relations] with your relatives and even if they cut you off [fail to main good relations with you]’

علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن النوفلي ، عن السكوني ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله لا تقطع رحمك وإن قطعتك.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: Dhai'f ala mashhoo Mirat Al Uqul]

Edited by uponthesunnah

Chapter 143  Ingratitude (to ones parents)

باب العقوق

The Messenger of Allah s.a.w has said: ‘Become righteous [to your parents] and shorten (your way) to Paradise, and if you were ungrateful [and] hard-headed [to your parents] , you would shorten (your way) to the Fire [of Hell].

علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن عبد الله بن المغيرة ، عن أبي الحسن عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله كن بارا واقتصر على الجنة وإن كنت عاقا [ فظا ] فاقتصر على النار.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading:  حسن كالصحيح. Mirat Al Uqul]

Alhamdullilah, the beginning of page four now marks the 101st Ahadith compiled![Please do not post on this thread to allow for continuity]

Chapter 145 The one who hurts the Muslims and belittles them

“When the Prophet (s.a.w) was taken to visit the heavens, he  asked, ‘O Lord, how is the condition of the believers before you?’ He (Allah azwj) said, ‘O Muhammad, whoever insults any of My friends has declared war against Me. I am the quickest to help My friends. I have not hesitated in any of My acts as much as I do at the time of the death of a believer who dislikes death and I dislike to disappoint him. Of My believing servants there are those who do not perform well without wealth and if I change his condition he is destroyed. Also among My believing servants are those who do not perform well unless they are poor and, if I change their condition to something else, they are destroyed. For seeking nearness to Me there is no better means for My servant than to fulfil what I have made obligatory for them and that he should seek nearness to Me through performing optional acts of worship so I will love him. When I will love him I will be his ears with which he will hear, his eyes with which he will see, his tongue with which he will speak and his hands with which he will perform his activities. Whenever he prays I will answer him and, whenever he asks a favour, I will grant him.’

عدة من أصحابنا ، عن أحمد بن محمد بن خالد ، عن إسماعيل بن مهران عن أبي سعيد القماط ، عن أبان بن تغلب ، عن أبي جعفر عليه‌السلام قال لما أسري بالنبي صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله قال يا رب ما حال المؤمن عندك ـ قال يا محمد من أهان لي وليا فقد بارزني بالمحاربة وأنا أسرع شيء إلى نصرة أوليائي وما ترددت عن شيء أنا فاعله  كترددي عن وفاة المؤمن يكره الموت وأكره مساءته وإن من عبادي المؤمنين من لا يصلحه إلا الغنى ولو صرفته إلى غير ذلك لهلك وإن من عبادي المؤمنين من لا يصلحه إلا الفقر ولو صرفته إلى غير ذلك لهلك وما يتقرب إلي عبد من عبادي بشيء أحب إلي مما افترضت عليه وإنه ليتقرب إلي بالنافلة حتىأحبه فإذا أحببته كنت إذا سمعه الذي يسمع به وبصره الذي يبصر به ولسانه الذي ينطق به ويده التي يبطش بها إن دعاني أجبته وإن سألني أعطيته

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading:  Saheeh. Mirat Al Uqul]

Similar ahadith which are essentially more or less corroborated with the above saheeh hadith:

"The Messenger of Allah(s.a.w) has said, “Allah, the Most Majestic, the Most Holy, has said, ‘Whoever insults any of My friends has waged a war against Me. Whoever of the servant seeks closeness to Me should know that there is nothing in that matter more beloved to Me than his fulfilling his obligations and he should seek nearness to Me by performing optional acts so I may love him; when I love him I will be his ears with which he will hear, his eyes with which he will see, his tongue with which he will speak and his hands with which he will perform his activities. Whenever he prays, I answer. Whenever he will ask for help, I will help him. I have not so much hesitated in all that I do as my hesitation at the time of the death of a believer who dislikes death and I dislike disappointing him.’"

محمد بن يحيى ، عن أحمد بن محمد بن عيسى وأبو علي الأشعري ، عن محمد بن عبد الجبار جميعا ، عن ابن فضال ، عن علي بن عقبة ، عن حماد بن بشير قال سمعت أبا عبد الله عليه‌السلام يقول قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله قال الله عز وجل من أهان لي وليا فقد أرصد لمحاربتي وما تقرب إلي عبد بشيء أحب إلي مما افترضت عليه وإنه ليتقرب إلي بالنافلة حتى أحبه فإذا أحببته كنت سمعه الذي يسمع به وبصره الذي يبصر به ولسانه الذي ينطق به ويده التي يبطش بها إن دعاني أجبته وإن سألني أعطيته وما ترددت عن شيء أنا فاعله كترددي عن موت المؤمن يكره الموت وأكره مساءته

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading:  Majhool. Mirat Al Uqul]

“The Messenger of Allah has (s.a.w) has said, ‘Allah, the Most Blessed, the Most High, has said, “Whoever insults any of My friends has waged a war against Me.’”

أبو علي الأشعري ، عن محمد بن عبد الجبار ، عن ابن فضال ، عن ثعلبة بن ميمون ، عن حماد بن بشير ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله قال الله تبارك وتعالى من أهان لي وليا فقد أرصد لمحاربتي.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading:  Majhool. Mirat Al Uqul]

“The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) has said, ‘Allah, the Most Majestic,  the Most Holy, has said, ‘To cause suffering to My believing servant is certainly a declaration of animosity against Me.’”

عدة من أصحابنا ، عن سهل بن زياد ، عن ابن محبوب ، عن هشام بن سالم ، عن معلى بن خنيس ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله قال الله عز وجل قد نابذني من أذل عبدي المؤمن.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading:  Dhai'f ala mashhoor. Mirat Al Uqul]

“The Messenger of Allah(s.a.w) has said, ‘My Lord took me for a  journey and revealed to me from behind the curtain whatever He wanted to reveal, and spoke to me vocally and said to me, “O Muhammad, whoever insults any of My friends has waged a war against Me. Whoever fights Me, I fight him.” I then said, ‘O Lord, who is this friend of Yours? I have learned that whoever fights You, You fight him.’ He said to me, ‘This friend is the one with whom I have made a covenant, that he must accept your Divine Authority and Guardianship, the Divine Authority and Guardianship of the executor of your will and the Divine Authority and Guardianship of the descendents of both of you.’

علي بن إبراهيم ، عن محمد بن عيسى ، عن يونس ، عن معاوية ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله لقد أسرى ربي بي فأوحى إلي من وراء الحجاب ما أوحى وشافهني إلى أن قال لي يا محمد من أذل لي وليا فقد أرصدني بالمحاربة ومن حاربني حاربته قلت يا رب ومن وليك هذا فقد علمت أن من حاربك حاربته قال لي ذاك من أخذت ميثاقه لك ولوصيك ولذريتكما بالولاية.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading:  Saheeh. Mirat Al Uqul]

“The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) has said, ‘Allah, the Most Majestic, the Most Holy, has said, “Whoever humiliates My believing servant has asked Me for a fight. I have not hesitated as much as I did at the time of the death of My believing servant. I love to meet him and he dislikes death. I then divert it from him. He prays to Me in a matter and I answer his prayer in what is better for him.’”

علي بن إبراهيم ، عن محمد بن عيسى ، عن يونس ، عن ابن مسكان ، عن معلى بن خنيس ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآلهقال الله عز وجل من استذل عبدي المؤمن فقد بارزني بالمحاربة وما ترددت في شيء أنا فاعله كترددي في عبدي المؤمن إني أحب لقاءه فيكره الموت فأصرفه عنه ـ وإنه ليدعوني في الأمر فأستجيب له بما هو خير له.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading:   مختلف فيه.. Mirat Al Uqul]

Edited by uponthesunnah

Chapter 145 - Those who seek to find mistakes and (expose) privacies of the believers. 

(من طلب عثرات المؤمنين وعوراتهم)

The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) has said: ‘O group of people who accepted islam with their tongue and belief has not yet purely and freely entered into their hearts,  do not criticise the Muslims, and do not seek to search into their privacies to find faults in them; Allah will then do the same to them[who search into the privacies of others to find faults] and to whomever Allah will do such a thing, He may disgrace him even in the privacy of his own home.’”

محمد بن يحيى ، عن أحمد بن محمد ، عن علي بن النعمان ، عن إسحاق بن عمار قال سمعت أبا عبد الله عليه‌السلام يقول قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله يا معشر من أسلم بلسانه ولم يخلص الإيمان إلى قلبه لا تذموا المسلمين ولا تتبعوا عوراتهم فإنه من تتبع عوراتهم تتبع الله عورته ومن تتبع الله تعالى عورته يفضحه ولو في بيته.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading:   Muwathaq  Mirat Al Uqul]

The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) has said: ‘O group of people who have  accepted Islam with their tongue and not yet with their heart, do not seek to search into the privacies of the Muslims to find faults in them; Allah will then do the same to them and to whomever Allah will do such a thing, He will bring disgrace upon him.’”

ـ عنه ، عن الحجال ، عن عاصم بن حميد ، عن أبي بصير ، عن أبي جعفر عليه‌السلام

قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله يا معشر من أسلم بلسانه ولم يسلم بقلبه لا تتبعوا عثرات المسلمين فإنه من تتبع عثرات المسلمين تتبع الله عثرته ومن تتبع الله عثرته يفضحه.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading:   Saheeh  Mirat Al Uqul]

“The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) has said: ‘Do not seek to find faults  with the believers; if one seeks to find fault with his brother (in belief), Allah will find faults with him and whoever’s fault Allah will seek to find, He will bring disgrace upon him and it may take place even inside his very own home.’

علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن ابن أبي عمير ، عن علي بن إسماعيل ، عن ابن مسكان ، عن محمد بن مسلم أو الحلبي ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله لا تطلبوا عثرات المؤمنين فإن من تتبع عثرات أخيه تتبع الله عثراته ومن تتبع الله عثراته يفضحه ولو في جوف بيته.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading:   Hasan-like-Saheeh  Mirat Al Uqul]

Edited by uponthesunnah

Chapter 147  Rebuking [People]

باب التعيير

“The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) has said The one who publicises an immorality [of another] would be like its initiator, and the one who rebukes a believer with something would not die until he himself commits it [what he rebukes]. 

٢ ـ عنه ، عن أبيه ، عن ابن أبي عمير ، عن إسماعيل بن عمار ، عن إسحاق بن عمار ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله من أذاع فاحشة كان كمبتدئها ومن عير مؤمنا بشيء لم يمت حتى يركبه.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading:   Hasan-Muwathaq-like-Saheeh  Mirat Al Uqul]

Chapter 151 –  Revilement

باب السباب

The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) has said : ‘Reviling a believer is a immorality[mischief] and killing him is disbelief, and consuming his flesh (backbiting) is disobedience, and the sanctity of his wealth is like the sanctity of his blood’. 

٢ ـ عدة من أصحابنا ، عن أحمد بن محمد بن عيسى ، عن الحسين بن سعيد ، عن فضالة بن أيوب ، عن عبد الله بن بكير ، عن أبي بصير ، عن أبي جعفر عليه‌السلام قال : قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله سباب المؤمن فسوق وقتاله كفر

وأكل لحمه معصية وحرمة ماله كحرمة دمه.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading:  Muwathaq-like-Saheeh  Mirat Al Uqul]

Abu Jafar [Imam Baqir a.s]: ‘A man from the clan of Tamim came over to the Prophet (s.a.w) , and he said, ‘Advise me’. So, among what he [the Prophet s.a.w] advised him with was  ‘Do not revile people for it would earn their animosity against you’

عنه ، عن الحسن بن محبوب ، عن هشام بن سالم ، عن أبي بصير ، عن أبي جعفر عليه‌السلام قال إن رجلا من بني تميم أتى النبي صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله فقال أوصني فكان فيما أوصاه أن قال لا تسبوا الناس فتكتسبوا العداوة بينهم.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: Saheeh  Mirat Al Uqul]

Edited by uponthesunnah

Chapter 153 –  Insincerity towards a brother [In belief]

من لم يناصح أخاه المؤمن

The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) has said : ‘The one who strives regarding a need of his brother[to help him] but is not sincere with him has breached his trust with Allah (azwj) and his Messenger (s.a.w)

محمد بن يحيى ، عن أحمد بن محمد ، عن الحسن بن علي بن النعمان ، عن أبي حفص الأعشى ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال سمعته يقول قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله من سعى في حاجة لأخيه فلم ينصحه فقد خان الله ورسوله.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: Majhool  Mirat Al Uqul]

Although the above hadith is graded majhool, two ahadith in this section with almost identical if not identical matn's going back to the ahlulbayt asws are graded muwathaq. Furthermore, several chains give a similar matn [content].

Edited by uponthesunnah

Chapter 154 –  Breach of promise

The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) has said : "The one who  believes in Allah (azwj) and the Last Day, must fulfil his promise"

علي ، عن أبيه ، عن ابن أبي عمير ، عن شعيب العقرقوفي ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله « مَنْ كانَ يُؤْمِنُ بِاللهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ » فليف إذا وعد.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: Hasan-like-Saheeh  Mirat Al Uqul]

Chapter 155 –  Frightening a believer

The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) has said: ‘The one who looks towards a believer with a (frightening) look in order to scare him with, Allah (azwj), Mighty and Majestic would scare him on the Day in which there be no shade [protection] except for his shade’

عدة من أصحابنا ، عن أحمد بن محمد بن خالد ، عن محمد بن عيسى ، عن الأنصاري ، عن عبد الله بن سنان ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله من نظر إلى مؤمن نظرة ليخيفه بها أخافه الله عز وجل يوم لا ظل إلا ظله.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: Majhool Mirat Al Uqul]

Alama Majlisi gives an explanation: ولو كان عبد الغفار بن القاسم الثقة فالحديث صحيح.

Chapter 155 –  Spreading Gossip

باب النميمة

The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) has said:  ‘Shall I inform you about the most evil  among you all?’ They said, ‘Yes, O Messenger of Allah!’ He (s.a.w) said: ‘The ones who spread gossip which causes separation between loved ones, and the ones who seek to label those who are innocent with faults.'

عدة من أصحابنا ، عن أحمد بن محمد ، عن الحسن بن محبوب ، عن عبد الله بن سنان ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله ألا أنبئكم بشراركم قالوا بلى يا رسول الله ـ قال المشاءون بالنميمة المفرقون بين الأحبة الباغون للبرآء المعايب.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: Saheeh Mirat Al Uqul]

Edited by uponthesunnah

Chapter 155 –  The one who obeys the creatures (people) regarding a disobedience to the Creator. 

من أطاع المخلوق في معصية الخالق

The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) has said:   The one who seeks the pleasure of the people by angering Allah (azwj). Allah (azwj) would make the people who praise him vilify.

علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن النوفلي ، عن السكوني ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله من طلب رضا الناس بسخط الله جعل الله حامده من الناس ذاما

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: Dhai'f ala mash-hoor Mirat Al Uqul]

Similar ahadith going through another chain:

The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) has said: ‘The one who seeks the pleasure of the people with what Angers Allah (azwj) the people praising him would belittle him; and the one who pursues [gives preference to] the obedience of Allah (azwj) with what which angers people, Allah (azwj) will suffice him for the animosity of every enemy, and the envy of every envious one, and the transgression of every transgressor, and Allah(azwj) Mighty and Majestic will be his helper and supporter.

عدة من أصحابنا ، عن أحمد بن محمد بن خالد ، عن إسماعيل بن مهران ، عن سيف بن عميرة ، عن عمرو بن شمر ، عن جابر ، عن أبي جعفر عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله من طلب مرضاة الناس بما يسخط الله كان حامده من الناس ذاما ومن آثر طاعة الله بغضب الناس كفاه الله عداوة كل عدو وحسد كل حاسد وبغي كل باغ وكان الله عز وجل له ناصرا وظهيرا.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: Dhai'f  Mirat Al Uqul]

Edited by uponthesunnah

Chapter 163 –  Association with sinful people

باب مجالسة أهل المعاصي

Abu Abdillah a.s has said: Do not accompany the people of innovation and do not be seated with them for you would come to be one of them in the eyes of the people. The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) has said: ‘A person is upon the Religion of his friends and associates’.

أبو علي الأشعري ، عن محمد بن عبد الجبار ، عن عبد الرحمن بن أبي نجران ، عن عمر بن يزيد ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام أنه قال لا تصحبوا أهل البدع ولا تجالسوهم فتصيروا عند الناس كواحد منهم قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله المرء على دين خليله وقرينه

Edited by uponthesunnah

Chapter 163 –  Association with sinful people

باب مجالسة أهل المعاصي

[NADER ZAVERI TRANSLATION]

The Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) said: “When you will find people of bid`ah (innovation) and doubt/suspicion after me, do baraa’ (disassociation) from them and increase in your insults (sabihim) to them, and oppose (them) and bring evidences against them so they may not become greedy in bringing fasaad (corruption) to Islam. You must warn people against them and do not learn their bid`ah (innovation). Allah will write for you hasanaat (good deeds) for this, and will raise you darajaat (levels) in the next life.’”

محمد بن يحيى ، عن محمد بن الحسين ، عن أحمد بن محمد بن أبي نصر ، عن داود بن سرحان ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله إذا رأيتم أهل الريب والبدع من بعدي فأظهروا البراءة منهم وأكثروا من سبهم والقول فيهم والوقيعة وباهتوهم كيلا يطمعوا في الفساد في الإسلام ويحذرهم الناس ولا يتعلموا من بدعهم يكتب الله لكم بذلك الحسنات ويرفع لكم به الدرجات في الآخرة.

Chapter 165  Disbelief (Kufr)

باب الكفر

Abu-Abdillah a.s has said: "‘The one who doubts in Allah(azwj) and in his Messenger [Muhammed s.a.w] is an unbeliever (Kafir)"

حمد بن يحيى ، عن أحمد بن محمد بن عيسى ، عن ابن محبوب ، عن عبد الله بن سنان ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال من شك في الله وفي رسوله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله فهوكافر.

‘I asked Abu Abdullah (a.s), ‘(What about) the one who doubts in Messenger of Allah(s.a.w)?’. He (a.s) replied said: ‘An Unbeliever (Kafir)’. I said, ‘What if one doubts in the disbelief (Kufr) of the doubting one, is he also an unbeliever (Kafir)?’ The imam a.s did not answer me. So I asked him  three times, then i noticed anger on his face?'

علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن صفوان ، عن منصور بن حازم قال قلت لأبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام من شك في رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله قال كافر قلت فمن شك في كفر الشاك فهو كافر فأمسك عني فرددت عليه ثلاث مرات فاستبنت في وجهه الغضب.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: Hasan-like-Saheeh  Mirat Al Uqul]

Chapter 168  Description of the hypocrisy and the hypocrite

صفة النفاق والمنافق

The Messenger of Allah [s.a.w] has said: ‘An example of the hypocrite is like an example of the trunk of a palm tree. When its owner intends to use it in a construction, it does not fit in the place he wants it to fit. His then tries it in another place, and it still does not fit. So at last he burns it in the fire’.

أبو علي الأشعري ، عن الحسن بن علي الكوفي ، عن عثمان بن عيسى ، عن سعيد بن يسار ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآلهمثل المنافق مثل جذع النخل أراد صاحبه أن ينتفع به في بعض بنائه فلم يستقم له في الموضع الذي أراد فحوله في موضع آخر فلم يستقم له فكان آخر ذلك أن أحرقه بالنار.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: muwathaq  Mirat Al Uqul]

Edited by uponthesunnah

Chapter 168  Description of hypocrisy and the hypocrite

المؤلفة قلوبهم

I asked Abu Jafar [Muhammed Al Baqir a.s] about the Words of Allah, Mighty and Majestic [9:60] and those whose hearts incline (to the Truth). He [Muhammed Al Baqir a.s] said: ‘They were a people professing to the oneness of Allah Mighty and Majestic, and they kept away from worshipping’s the ones besides Allah[azwj], and they testified that there is no god except for Allahand that Muhammah[saw] is the Messenger of Allah, and in that condition they had doubts about certain issues  Muhammad[saw] had brought. 

So Allah Mighty and Majestic commanded his Prophet[saw] to attract them with financial means and gifts so that their islam may improve and they remain steadfast in their religion which they had just accepted and professed. ; and on the Day (battle) of Hunayn (a battle field), The Messenger of Allah [saw] had a meeting with the leaders of the Arabs from Quraysh and others of the (tribe of) Mudar. Among them was Abu Sufyan ibn Harb, and Uyaynah ibn Hasin Al-Farazi and the likes of them from the people.

So the Helpers (Ansaar) were angered and gathered around Sa’ad ibn Ubadah. So he went with them to the Messenger of Allah [saw] at Al-Ji’rana and he asked, ‘O Messenger of Allah! Would you permit me to speak?’ So he [saw] said: ‘Yes’. So he [Sa'd ibn 'Ubadah] said, ‘If the case of these goods that you have distributed among your tribesmen is something that has come from Allah, we agree, and if it was other than that, we do not agree’.

Zurara (the narrator) said, ‘And I heard Abu Ja’far [Muhammed Al Baqir a.s]  saying: ‘So Messenger of Allah [saw] asked: ‘O people of Ansar,! Are all of you upon the opinion of your master Sa’d?’. So they said, ‘Our chief is Allah and his Messenger[saw]’. Then they said during the third (reiteration), ‘We are upon the same opinions and words'.

Zurara (the narrator) said, ‘So I heard Abu Ja’far [Muhammed Al Baqir a.s]  saying: ‘So Allah[azwj] decreased their light of belief and assigned a share for the people of inclined hearts in the Quran. 

علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن ابن أبي عمير ، عن عمر بن أذينة ، عن زرارة ، عن أبي جعفر عليه‌السلام قال سألته عن قول الله عز وجل : « وَالْمُؤَلَّفَةِ قُلُوبُهُمْ » (١) قال هم قوم وحدوا الله عز وجل وخلعوا عبادة من يعبد من دون الله وشهدوا أن لا إله إلا الله وأن محمدا رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله وهم في ذلك شكاك في بعض ما جاء به محمد صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله فأمر الله عز وجل نبيه صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله أن يتألفهم بالمال والعطاء لكي يحسن إسلامهم ويثبتوا على دينهم الذي دخلوا فيه وأقروابه.

وإن رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله يوم حنين تألف رؤساء العرب من قريش وسائر مضر منهم أبو سفيان بن حرب وعيينة بن حصين الفزاري وأشباههم من الناس فغضبت الأنصار واجتمعت إلى سعد بن عبادة فانطلق بهم إلى رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله بالجعرانة

فقال : يا رسول الله أتأذن لي في الكلام فقال نعم فقال إن كان هذا الأمر من هذه الأموال التي قسمت بين قومك شيئا أنزله الله رضينا وإن كان غير ذلك لم نرض قال زرارة وسمعت أبا جعفر عليه‌السلام يقول فقال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله يا معشر الأنصار أكلكم على قول سيدكم سعد فقالوا سيدنا الله ورسوله ثم قالوا في الثالثة نحن على مثل قوله ورأيه قال زرارة فسمعت أبا جعفر عليه‌السلاميقول فحط الله نورهم وفرض الله للمؤلفة قلوبهم سهما في القرآن.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: Hasan-like-saheeh  Mirat Al Uqul]

Edited by uponthesunnah

Chapter 178 - Regarding the Words of the Exalted [22:11] "There are among men some who serve Allah, as it were, on the verge..."

في قوله تعالى « وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَنْ يَعْبُدُ اللهَ عَلى حَرْفٍ »

(It has been narrated) from Abu Ja’far [Imam Muhammed Al Baqir a.s] regarding the words of Allah[azwj] Mighty and Majestic [22:11] There are among men some who serve Allah, as it were, on the verge: if good befalls them, they are, therewith, well content; but if a trial comes to them, they turn on their faces: they lose both this world and the Hereafter: that is loss for all to see!

Zurara (the narrator) said, ‘I asked Abu Ja’far [a.s] about it, so he [a.s] said: ‘These were people who worshipped Allah [azwj] and kept away from worshipping the ones besides Allah [azwj]. They however, had doubt in  Muhammad [saw] and what he came with [from Allah azwj]. They spoke of Islam and testified that there is no god except for Allah [azwj] and that Muhammad [saw] is the Messenger of Allah, and affirmed the Quran. Despite this they would doubt in Muhammed [saw] and what he came with [from Allah azwj]. They did not have doubt in Allah , Mighty and Majestic. [22:11] There are among men some who serve Allah, as it were, on the verge. [This] refers to their doubt in Muhammed [saw] and what he came with. [22:11] "...If good befalls them..." refers to well being in their health, properties and children.  [22:11] "...they are, therewith, well content;..." he is happy [22:11] "...but if a trial comes to them..." refers to misfortune in his body or property that he considers as an unfortunate omen and dislikes keeping up with his testimony about the truthfulness of the Prophet [saw][ thus, he returns to hesitation and doubt. He becomes hostile toward Allah [azwj] and the Messenger of Allah[saw], rejects the Prophet[saw], and whatever he has brought from Allah [azwj].

علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن ابن أبي عمير ، عن عمر بن أذينة ، عن الفضيل وزرارة ، عن أبي جعفر عليه‌السلام في قول الله عز وجل : « وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَنْ يَعْبُدُ اللهَ عَلى حَرْفٍ فَإِنْ أَصابَهُ خَيْرٌ اطْمَأَنَّ بِهِ وَإِنْ أَصابَتْهُ فِتْنَةٌ انْقَلَبَ عَلى وَجْهِهِ خَسِرَ الدُّنْيا وَالْآخِرَةَ » (١) قال زرارة سألت عنها أبا جعفر عليه‌السلام فقال هؤلاء قوم عبدوا الله وخلعوا عبادة من يعبد من دون الله وشكوا في محمد صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله وما جاء به فتكلموا

بالإسلام وشهدوا أن لا إله إلا الله وأن محمدا رسول الله وأقروا بالقرآن وهم في ذلك شاكون في محمد صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله وما جاء به وليسوا شكاكا في الله قال الله عز وجل : « وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَنْ يَعْبُدُ اللهَ عَلى حَرْفٍ » يعني على شك في محمد صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله وما جاء به « فَإِنْ أَصابَهُ خَيْرٌ » يعني عافية في نفسه وماله وولده « اطْمَأَنَّ بِهِ » ورضي به « وَإِنْ أَصابَتْهُ فِتْنَةٌ » يعني بلاء في جسده أو ماله تطير وكره المقام على الإقرار بالنبي صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله فرجع إلى الوقوف والشك فنصب العداوة لله ولرسوله والجحود بالنبي وما جاء به.

Chapter 187 - (Satanic) insinuations and souls tale telling

الوسوسة وحديث النفس

(It has been narrated) from Abu Abdullah [as] who has said: ‘A man came over to the Prophet [saw] and he said, ‘O Messenger of Allah! I am destroyed!So he [The Messenger of Allah s.a.w]  said to him: ‘Has the wicked one (Satan [la]) come to you and asked you, ‘Who Created you?’ So you said, ‘Allah [azwj]. So he said to you, ‘Who Created Him?’’ So he[the man] said, ‘Yes, by the One who has sent you with the Truth, it was as you said’. So The Messenger of Allah saw]said: ‘That, by Allah [azwj], is pure belief [Eman].

ابن أبي عمير ، عن محمد بن مسلم ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال جاء رجل إلى النبي صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله فقال يا رسول الله هلكت فقال له عليه‌السلام أتاك الخبيث فقال لك من خلقك فقلت الله فقال لك الله من خلقه فقال إي والذي بعثك بالحق لكان كذا فقال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله ذاك والله محض الإيمان.

Ibn Abu Umeyr (the narrator) said, ‘So I narrated this to Abd al-Rahman ibn al-Hajjaj, and he said his father narrated to him from ‘Abu Abdullah [as] who has said the following: "By saying 'This by Allah it is pure belief [Eman]' the Messenger of Allah [saw] referred to his fear of temptation and to the degree that he thought it [soul's such tale telling] is destructive".

قال ابن أبي عمير فحدثت بذلك عبد الرحمن بن الحجاج فقال حدثني أبي ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام أن رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله إنما عنى بقوله هذا والله محض الإيمان خوفه أن يكون قد هلك حيث عرض له ذلك في قلبه.

Edited by uponthesunnah

Chapter 187 - (Satanic) insinuations and souls tale telling

الوسوسة وحديث النفس

‘A man wrote to Abu Ja’far [Al Baqir [as]] and complained about what would pass in his  The Imam answered hm in certain parts of his words: ‘If Allahazwj Mighty and Majestic wills, he will keep you steadfast and he will not allow Satan to find way in you.

A group of people had complained to the Prophet [saw]of what tended to present to them so much so, that they liked to be blown away by the wind or being cut in pieces than to speak out of that thing in their mind. So the Messenger of Allah [saw] asked: ‘You are finding that (to be so)?’ They said, ‘Yes’. So he [saw] said: ‘By the one in whose hand is my soul! That is clear belief [Emān]. So whenever you sense it say :, so you should be saying,

‘We believe in Allah [azwj] and in his Messenger [saw], and there is neither any power or might without Allah [azwj]"

عدة من أصحابنا ، عن سهل بن زياد ومحمد بن يحيى ، عن أحمد بن محمد جميعا ، عن علي بن مهزيار قال كتب رجل إلى أبي جعفر عليه‌السلاميشكو إليه لمما يخطر على باله فأجابه في بعض كلامه إن الله عز وجل إن شاء ثبتك فلا يجعل لإبليس عليك طريقا قد شكا قوم إلى النبي صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله لمما يعرض لهم لأن تهوي

بهم الريح أو يقطعوا أحب إليهم من أن يتكلموا به فقال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآلهأتجدون ذلك قالوا نعم فقال والذي نفسي بيده إن ذلك لصريح الإيمان فإذا وجدتموه فقولوا آمنا بالله ورسوله ولا حول ولا قوة إلا بالله.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: saheeh  Mirat Al Uqul]

The Dua to recite with arabic vowels:

w6r41v.jpg

‘We believe in Allah [azwj] and in his Messenger [saw], and there is neither any power or might without Allah [azwj]"

Edited by uponthesunnah

Chapter 187 - The one who intends to perform the good deed or the evil deed

من يهم بالحسنة أو السيئة

‘I heard Abu Abdullah [a.s] saying: 'The Messenger of Allah [saw] said: ‘If four characteristics are found in a person, Allah [azwj] would not allow his destruction to take place, unless he is one of those doomed to destruction.

[1]The servant intends to do the good deed, but if he does not do it, Allah [azw] writes a good deed for him for his good intention,

[2] and if he does do it, Allah [azwj] would write ten (good deeds) for him.

[3]And he intends to do the evil deed, but if he does not do it, nothing is Written against him,

[4] and if he does it,  he will be given seven hours. The angel of the [who writes the] good deeds says to the angel of the [who writes the] evils deeds, and he is the companion on the left [side], ‘Do not be hasty, perhaps he would follow it up with a good deed to delete it [cancel the evil deed], for Allahazwj Mighty and Majestic says [11:114] surely good deeds take away evil deeds.." or he would seek Forgiveness.  So if he were to say, ‘I seek Forgiveness of Allah [azwj] who, there is no god except for him, the Knower of the unseen and the seen, the Mighty, the Wise, the Forgiving, the Merciful, One with Majesty and Benevolence, and I repent to Him, nothing would be Written against him; and if seven hours have passed and he has not followed it up with a good deed and the seeking of Forgiveness,The angel of the [who writes the] good deeds says to the angel of the [who writes the] evils deeds,: ‘Write it down against the wicked and deprived one that he is ’.

محمد بن يحيى ، عن أحمد بن محمد بن عيسى ، عن علي بن الحكم ، عن فضل بن عثمان المرادي قال سمعت أبا عبد الله عليه‌السلام يقول قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله أربع من كن فيه لم يهلك على الله بعدهن إلا هالك يهم العبد بالحسنة فيعملها فإن هو

لم يعملها كتب الله له حسنة بحسن نيته وإن هو عملها كتب الله له عشرا ويهم بالسيئة أن يعملها فإن لم يعملها لم يكتب عليه شيء وإن هو عملها أجل سبع ساعات وقال صاحب الحسنات لصاحب السيئات وهو صاحب الشمال لا تعجل عسى أن يتبعها بحسنة تمحوها فإن الله عز وجل يقول « إِنَّ الْحَسَناتِ يُذْهِبْنَ السَّيِّئاتِ » (١) أو الاستغفار فإن هو قال أستغفر الله الذي لا إله إلا هو عالم الغيب والشهادة العزيز الحكيم الغفور الرحيم ذا الجلال والإكرام وأتوب إليه لم يكتب عليه شيء وإن مضت سبع ساعات ولم يتبعها بحسنة واستغفار قال صاحب الحسنات لصاحب السيئات اكتب على الشقي المحروم.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: saheeh  Mirat Al Uqul]

The Dua to recite with arabic vowels:

أَسْتَغْفِرُ اللَّهَ الَّذِي لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا هُوَ عَالِمَ الْغَيْبِ وَ الشَّهَادَةِ الْعَزِيزَ الْحَكِيمَ الْغَفُورَ الرَّحِيمَ ذَا الْجَلَالِ وَ الْإِكْرَامِ وَ أَتُوبُ إِلَيْهِ

‘I seek Forgiveness of Allah [azwj] who, there is no god except for him, the Knower of the unseen and the seen, the Mighty, the Wise, the Forgiving, the Merciful, One with Majesty and Benevolence, and I repent to Him"

Chapter 187 - Seeking forgiveness from sins

الاستغفار من الذنب

“The Messenger of Allah would plead before Allah, the Most  Majestic, the Most Holy, seventy times every day.’ I (the narrator) then asked, ‘Would he say, ‘I ask Allah to forgive me and I turn to Him in repentance?’ The Imam said, ‘He, however, would say, ‘I return to Allah.’ I then said, ‘The Messenger of Allah would yatub (repent) and would not repeat, we repent and repeat.’ The Imam said, ‘Allah is the source of help.’”

حميد بن زياد ، عن الحسن بن محمد ، عن غير واحد ، عن أبان ، عن زيد الشحام ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال كان رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله يتوب إلى الله عز وجل في كل يوم سبعين مرة فقلت أكان يقول : أستغفر الله وأتوب إليه قال لا ولكن كان يقول أتوب إلى الله قلت إن رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله كان يتوب ولا يعود ونحن نتوب ونعود فقال « اللهُ الْمُسْتَعانُ ».

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: Mursal-like-Muwathaq  Mirat Al Uqul]

Edited by uponthesunnah

Chapter 189 - Veiling sins

باب ستر الذنوب

The Messenger of Allah [saw] has said: To keep a good deed unnoticed equates to seventy good deeds, and publicising an evil deed brings humiliation and one may receive forgiveness for its concealment. 

محمد بن يحيى ، عن محمد بن صندل ، عن ياسر ، عن اليسع بن حمزة ، عن الرضا عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله المستتر بالحسنة يعدل سبعين حسنة والمذيع بالسيئة مخذول والمستتر بها مغفور له.

There are two chains for this narration. The one above has been graded Majhool by Alama Majlisi in Mirat al uqul. The second chain has been graded Dai'f. Both chains go up to Imam Ridha [as].

Second chain:

عدة من أصحابنا ، عن أحمد بن محمد بن خالد ، عن محمد بن علي ، عن العباس مولى الرضا عليه‌السلام 

Chapter 196 - Hastening of the punishment for sins

تعجيل عقوبة الذنب

The Messenger of Allah [saw] has said: 'Allah Mighty and Majestic has said: "Any servant whom i want to admit in paradise i cause bodily suffering to expiate for his sins, if this would not be enough I would Intensify (the pangs) upon him during his death until he comes to me and there would be no sin for him, then i admit him in paradise.

Any servant whom i want to go in fire, i would Grant good health for him in his body. If this completes compensation to him i then call him to my presence, otherwise, i grant him security from the rulers. If this completes my compensation to him i then call him in my presence, otherwise, i expand the means for his living. If this completes compensation to him, i then call him in my presence, otherwise, i make dying easy for him so he comes in my presence without any good deeds before me, then i send him in fire."

محمد بن يحيى ، عن أحمد بن محمد ، عن علي بن الحكم ، عن معاوية بن وهب ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله قال الله عز وجل ما من عبد أريد أن أدخله الجنة إلا ابتليته في جسده فإن كان ذلك كفارة لذنوبه وإلا شددت عليه عند موته حتى يأتيني ولا ذنب له ثم أدخله الجنة وما من عبد أريد أن أدخله النار إلا صححت له جسمه فإن كان ذلك تماما لطلبته عندي وإلا آمنت خوفه من سلطانه فإن كان ذلك تماما لطلبته عندي وإلا وسعت عليه في رزقه فإن كان ذلك تماما لطلبته عندي وإلا هونت عليه موته حتى يأتيني ولا حسنة له عندي ثم أدخله النار.

A very similar narration as above, in the same chapter, [third narration] graded Dhai'f:

عدة من أصحابنا ، عن سهل بن زياد ، عن جعفر بن محمد الأشعري ، عن ابن القداح ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآلهقال الله عز وجل وعزتي وجلالي لا أخرج عبدا من الدنيا وأنا أريد أن أرحمه حتى أستوفي منه كل خطيئة عملها إما بسقم في جسده وإما بضيق في رزقه وإما بخوف في دنياه فإن بقيت عليه بقية شددت عليه عند الموت وعزتي وجلالي لا أخرج عبدا من الدنيا وأنا أريد أن أعذبه حتى أوفيه كل حسنة عملها إما بسعة في رزقه وإما بصحة في جسمه وإما بأمن في دنياه فإن بقيت عليه بقية هونت عليه بها الموت.

The Messenger of Allah [saw] has said: "Worries and the grief do not cease to be with the believer [momin] until no sin is left for him"

محمد بن يحيى ، عن أحمد بن محمد بن عيسى ، عن العباس بن موسى الوراق ، عن علي الأحمسي ، عن رجل ، عن أبي جعفر عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله ما يزال الهم والغم بالمؤمن حتى ما يدع له ذنبا.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: Majhool  Mirat Al Uqul]

Although the above narration is graded Majhool, the meaning is repeated across several ahadith, as well as in the authentic narration cited in this post.

عنه ، عن أحمد بن محمد وعلي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه جميعا ، عن ابن أبي عمير ، عن الحارث بن بهرام ، عن عمرو بن جميع قال سمعت أبا عبد الله عليه‌السلام يقول إن العبد المؤمن ليهتم في الدنيا حتى يخرج منها ولا ذنب عليه.

علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن ابن أبي عمير ، عن علي الأحمسي ، عن رجل ، عن أبي جعفر عليه‌السلام قال لا يزال الهم والغم بالمؤمن حتى ما يدع له من ذنب.

Edited by uponthesunnah

Chapter 199 - Other rare ahadith

باب نادر أيضا

‘I asked Abu Abdullah [a.s] about the Words of Allah,Mighty and Majestic [42:30] And whatever affliction befalls you, it is on account of what your hands have wroughtdo you consider whatever befell Ali [a.s] and his family after him was because of their deeds and aquisition of their hands despite the fact that they were members of the family of al-taharah [purified by the will of Allah], the infallible people?

So he [the Imam [asws]] said: The Messenger of Allah [saw] used to turn to Allah[azwj] and seek his forgiveness during every day and night, one hundred times, without having sinned. Allah[azwj] wants his friends, especially, to suffer so that he may grant them rewards without sins.

عدة من أصحابنا ، عن سهل بن زياد وعلي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه جميعا ، عن ابن محبوب ، عن علي بن رئاب قال سألت أبا عبد الله عليه‌السلام عن قول الله عز وجل : « وَما أَصابَكُمْ مِنْ مُصِيبَةٍ فَبِما كَسَبَتْ أَيْدِيكُمْ » أرأيت ما أصاب عليا وأهل بيته عليهم‌السلام من بعده هو بما كسبت أيديهم وهم أهل بيت طهارة معصومون فقال إن رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله كان يتوب إلى الله ويستغفره في كل يوم وليلة مائ مرة من غير ذنب إن الله يخص أولياءه بالمصائب ليأجرهم عليها من غير ذنب.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: حسن كالصحيح بل أعلى من الصحيح.  Mirat Al Uqul]

Chapter 204 - Those who find fault in people

من يعيب الناس

Narrated by Imam Ali ibn al Hussain a.s [Imam Zain Al-Abideen] who has said: The Messenger of Allah [saw] has said: “It is enough fault in a man to find fault in people but turn a blind eye to the same that is in his own soul and to hurt his companion for no reason.’”

محمد بن يحيى ، عن أحمد بن محمد بن عيسى ، عن علي بن النعمان ، عن ابن مسكان ، عن أبي حمزة قال سمعت علي بن الحسين عليه‌السلاميقول قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله كفى بالمرء عيبا أن يبصر من الناس ما يعمى عليه من نفسه وأن يؤذي جليسه بما لا يعنيه.

Edited by uponthesunnah

Chapter 205 - A Muslim is not held responsible for his acts of the time of ignorance [pre-islamic paganism]

أنه لا يؤاخذ المسلم بما عمل في الجاهلية

(It has been narrated) from Abu Ja’far [Imam Muhammed Al Baqir a.s] who has said: ‘Some people came to the Messenger of Allah [saw] after having become muslims, and they said, ‘O Messenger of Allah! will any of us, after accepting Islam, be held responsible for what he had done in the time of ignorance?’ The Messenger of Allah[saw] said: ‘The one who makes his Islam to be good and corrects the certainty of his Emān [belief], Allah, the most Blessed and the most High will not seize him for what he had done during the pre-Islamic period; and the one whose Islam is absurd and he does not correct the certainty of his Emān [Belief], will be held responsible in the judgement of Allah the most Blessed, the most High, for his past and later deeds.

محمد بن يحيى ، عن أحمد بن محمد بن عيسى ، عن ابن محبوب ، عن جميل بن صالح ، عن أبي عبيدة ، عن أبي جعفر عليه‌السلام قال إن ناسا أتوا رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله بعد ما أسلموا فقالوا يا رسول الله أيؤخذ الرجل منا بما كان عمل في الجاهلية بعد إسلامه فقال لهم رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله من حسن إسلامه وصح يقين إيمانه لم يؤاخذه الله تبارك وتعالى بما عمل في الجاهلية ومن سخف إسلامه ولم يصح يقين إيمانه أخذه الله تبارك وتعالى بالأول والآخر.

‘I asked Abu Abdullah [as] about the man is good in Islam, would he be held responsible for what he had done during the pre-Islamic period [Jahiliyah]?’ So he [as] said: ‘The Prophet [saw] said: "Whoever is good in Islam will not be held responsible for his deeds in the times of ignorance and anyone who is not good in Islam will be held responsible for his acts of the past and those thereafter"

علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن القاسم بن محمد الجوهري ، عن المنقري ، عن فضيل بن عياض قال سألت أبا عبد الله عليه‌السلام عن الرجل يحسن في الإسلام أيؤاخذ بما عمل في الجاهلية فقال قال النبي صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله من أحسن في الإسلام لم يؤاخذ بما عمل في الجاهلية ومن أساء في الإسلام أخذ بالأول والآخر.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: ضعيف ومضمونه قريب من الأول.  Mirat Al Uqul]

Edited by uponthesunnah

This marks the end of the Book of belief and disbelief in Volume 2. There are other books in volume 2, and many more prophetic ahadith in Volume 2, which will now be collected inshAllah. 137 ahadith have been collected from the Prophet[saw] from this book, though there are many others i have not included for a variety of reasons. 

selawat-nabi.jpg

Edited by uponthesunnah

The following narrations will be taken from Book of Dua [prayers] in Volume 2

4082_349.jpg

[the above picture is a drawing of Imam Sajjad [as], who sought a relief of the pain and sufferings and trauma he faced through prayer and worship. He turned hardship into worship. He was the son of Imam Hussain a.s , the grandson of Ali ibn Abi Talib a.s and the great-grandson of the Messenger of Allah s.a.w, furthermore, he is also among the tabi'een [generation after the sahaba].

The beauty of this chapter is that we will be given the opportunity to look at how the Prophet [saw]addressed Allah azwj, and the profound beauty in the way he directly sought help, protection and comfort among other things, from Allah azwj throughout his life, from the imminent period before a battle, to late at night under the moonlight. We also come to know and understand his view on Dua. 

Given that ulema have stated that mustahab acts, such as dua's, are to be judged with a much more lenient lens, i will take pretty much every [though not all] of the Prophetic Dua's in this section. 

Edited by uponthesunnah

Chapter 2  Pleading before Allah for help is a believing persons weapon.

The Messenger of Allah [saw] has said: ‘Supplication[dua] is a weapon of the believer and the pillar of religion, and a light of the heavens and earth’.

عدة من أصحابنا ، عن أحمد بن محمد بن خالد ، عن أبيه ، عن فضالة بن أيوب ، عن السكوني ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول اللهصلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله الدعاء سلاح المؤمن وعمود الدين ونُورُ  السَّماواتِ وَالْأَرْضِ.

By the same chain as the above:

The Prophet [saw]said: ‘Indeed! Shall I guide you all to a weapon to save you from your enemies and increase your means of living?’ So they said, ‘Yes (O Messenger of Allah)’. He [saw] said: ‘You should be supplicating to your Lord [azwj] by the night and the day, for prayer [dua] is the weapon of the believing people.

وبإسناده قال قال النبي صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله ألا أدلكم على سلاح ينجيكم من أعدائكم ويدر أرزاقكم قالوا  بلى قال تدعون ربكم بالليل والنهار فإن سلاح المؤمن الدعاء.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: ضعيف على المشهور..  Mirat Al Uqul]

Although the narration is weak by sanad standards, it is corroborated by several narrations in this chapter, which state that prayer is the 'shield' of the believing people, or that prayer is more potent than 'iron spears'.

٥ ـ عدة من أصحابنا ، عن أحمد بن محمد ، عن ابن فضال ، عن بعض أصحابنا ، عن الرضا عليه‌السلام أنه كان يقول لأصحابه عليكم بسلاح الأنبياء فقيل وما سلاح الأنبياء قال  الدعاء.

٦ ـ علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن عبد الله بن المغيرة ، عن أبي سعيد البجلي قال قال أبو عبد الله عليه‌السلام إن الدعاء أنفذ من السنان.

٧ ـ عنه ، عن أبيه ، عن ابن أبي عمير ، عن عبد الله بن سنان ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال الدعاء أنفذ من السنان الحديد.

The last narration [7] is graded Hasan like Saheeh. This shows that while rijal is important, in Al Kafi, the narrations within each chapter generally corroborate one another, and come from multiple aimmah asws. So it is not the be all and end all.
Edited by uponthesunnah

Chapter 3  Prayer diverts Misfortune and Allah's decision.

(أن الدعاء يرد البلاء والقضاء)

(It has been narrated) from Abu Ja’far [Imam Muhammed Al Baqir a.s]  who said: ‘He [asws] said to me: ‘Shall I tell you something about a case in which even the Messenger of Allah [saw] is not an exception?’ I said, ‘Yes (i would like to know) ’. He [asws] said: ‘Prayer and pleading before Allah for help repeals Al-Qada, what is already determined, even though it may have firmly been established. He folded his fingers together (to form a fist as a sign of firmness).

علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن حماد بن عيسى ، عن حريز ، عن زرارة ، عن أبي جعفر عليه‌السلام قال قال لي ألا أدلك على شيء لم يستثن فيه رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله قلت بلى قال الدعاء يرد القضاء وقد أبرم إبراما وضم  أصابعه.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: حسن كالصحيح.  Mirat Al Uqul]

The above matn in terms of its' essence in meaning [i.e dua changing destiny] is corroborated by several ahadith in this section and many authentic traditions in this section. This is an extremely fascinating topic, about how pleading before Allah [azwj] for help can even change our destinies.  

Taken from al-islam: Book by Alama Sa'eed Akhtar Rizvi: https://www.al-islam.org/justice-god-sayyid-saeed-akhtar-rizvi/fate-and-divine-decree

E. Our Prayers & God's Decree

Now you know that the knowledge given to the angels is often conditional. For example, they are told by Allah that "If Zayd does this work, he will prosper; and if he opts for that work, he will lose financially. If he goes to this doctor, he will recover from his illness very soon; but if he goes to that doctor, his sickness will increase."

One of the most important conditions of prosperity, success and hap­piness is du 'a, praying to God. If Zayd prays to Allah and seeks His help, his affliction will be al­leviated. If he does not seek the help of Allah, he will be left suffering. Thus Allah says:

"Say (O Prophet), had it not been for your prayers unto Him, my Lord would care not for you." (25:77)

Some people have misgivings about du'a'. They think that since Allah knows what is good for us, there is no need to ask for His help or assistance; there is no need for du'a . They say that Allah knows what is best for Zayd and He has already decided how much he is to earn or, for example, whether he will be cured of his illness or not. Therefore, what is the need for du'a ? What purpose will our du'a' serve?

Such people do not appreciate that may be Allah has made Zayd's earning or health dependent upon his du'a. May be He has ordered the angels to increase his earnings if he prays to Allah for an increase! May be the condition necessary for recovery from his illness is a certain course of treatment coupled with sincere du'a' and prayer to Allah.

It has been mentioned in many ahadith that one of the things which affect the life of man is du'a'. The other?important thing is his effort and endeavour. We should never minimize the effect and importance of‑dua, or the effect and importance of hard work.

Of course, if one has already reached his maximum age or maximum livelihood, or if, for example, his sickness is "firmly decreed" to continue, no amount of du’a or effort or treatment can do him any good. But, the point to remember is that nobody knows what is "firmly decreed" concerning his age, livelihood or health. Therefore, we have to do relentlessly whatever is possible to improve our conditions.

On the topic of destiny, i highly recommend this book, by Ayatullah Shaheed Mutahari [rh]: https://www.al-islam.org/man-and-his-destiny-ayatullah-murtadha-mutahhari

This title deals with the Islamic point of view on fate and destiny. Martyr Ayatullah Mutahhari critically examines historical doctrines on predestination and free will put forth by various schools of thought in Islam including the Mu'tazali and Ash`ari. Based on the verses of the Qur'an and Islamic teachings of the Ahlul Bayt (a), Martyr Mutahhari determines the true and correct position of human free will and predestination from the Islamic point of view.

Edited by uponthesunnah

Chapter 9  Praying attentively 

(الإقبال على الدعاء)

Abu Abdullah [asws] having said: ‘When the Messenger of Allah [saw] prayed for rain, people were drenched to the extent that they said, ‘It’s drowning (us), and the Messenger of Allah [saw] made hand gestures to scatter the cloud saying, "O Lord, make it to rain around us, not on us". The Imam [asws] said: 'the clouds scattered and people asked: "O Messenger of Allah, how is it that once you prayed for rain and it did not rain, then you prayed for rain and it rained?". The Messenger of Allah [saw] said: "I prayed but i did not have much intention, then i prayed and i did"

علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن ابن أبي عمير ، عن هشام بن الحكم ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال لما استسقى رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله وسقي الناس حتى قالوا إنه الغرق وقال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله بيده وردها اللهم حوالينا ولا علينا قال فتفرق السحاب  فقالوا يا رسول الله استسقيت لنا فلم نسق ثم استسقيت لنا فسقينا قال إني دعوت وليس لي في ذلك نية ثم دعوت ولي في ذلك نية.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: حسن كالصحيح.  Mirat Al Uqul]

Chapter 10  Insistence on prayer and waiting for answers

(الإلحاح في الدعاء والتلبث)

The Messenger of Allah [saw] has said: ‘May Allah [azwj] be merciful upon a servant who seeks a need from Allah the most Mighty and the most Majestic, and insists on praying and pleading before him for help, whether is it answered for him or not answered for him’; He then read this verse of the Noble Quran [19:48] And I will withdraw from you and what you call on besides Allah, and I will call upon my Lord, perhaps I shall not remain unblessed in calling upon my Lord

عدة من أصحابنا ، عن سهل بن زياد ، عن جعفر بن محمد الأشعري ، عن ابن القداح ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآلهرحم الله عبدا طلب من الله عز وجل حاجة فألح في الدعاء  استجيب له أو لم يستجب له وتلا هذه الآية  « وَأَدْعُوا رَبِّي عَسى أَلاَّ أَكُونَ بِدُعاءِ رَبِّي شَقِيًّا »

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: Dhai'f- Mirat Al Uqul]

Though this is weak, there are several narrations on insisting and continuing to plead help before Allah [azwj] in this chapter. The below are just some examples:

محمد بن يحيى ، عن أحمد بن محمد ، عن ابن أبي عمير ، عن سيف بن عميرة ، عن محمد بن مروان ، عن الوليد بن عقبة الهجري قال سمعت أبا جعفر عليه‌السلام يقول والله لا يلح عبد مؤمن على الله عز وجل في حاجته إلا  قضاها له.

٤ ـ عنه ، عن أحمد بن محمد بن عيسى ، عن الحجال ، عن حسان ، عن أبي الصباح ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال إن الله عز وجل كره إلحاح الناس  بعضهم على بعض في المسألة وأحب ذلك لنفسه إن الله عز وجل يحب أن يسأل ويطلب ما عنده.

٥ ـ علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن ابن أبي عمير ، عن حسين الأحمسي ، عن رجل ، عن أبي جعفر عليه‌السلام قال لا والله لا يلح عبد على الله عز  وجل إلا استجاب الله له.

This is typical of Al Kafi, where even if narrations are weak, they are often corroborated in meaning by a number of other narrations among those reliable, authentic in the same chapter, which is why Al Kafi is generally reliable , irrespective of % authentic narrations by mere Sanad [which is still important, no doubt at all]. 

Edited by uponthesunnah