In the Name of God بسم الله

Taraweeh, Qiyam ul layl, shia and sunni.

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member
30 minutes ago, sunnilove2hussain said:

:bismillah:

So sunnis pray taraweeh. May i be briefed on taraweeh,is it same as salat ul layl that shias pray?

Also,sunnis pray Qiyam ul layl on the last ten days,do they skip taraweeh and pray only that? Is qiyam ul layl same as taraweeh or different?

do shias pray qiyam ul layl?

not sure what qiyam-ul-layl is.

Taraweeh and salat-ul-layl are different.

Salat-ul-layl can be prayed any day of the month and not limited to ramadan.

Salat-ul-layl

• Advanced Member

Here is the story of Taraweeh as i quote from one of my brothers: The Prophet (pbuh) said that praying the Nawafil prayers in Ramadhan is mustahab (recommended). This means that if you pray them, you will get the reward but if you do not pray them you will not be punished. He also added that they are to be prayed indiviually (not in congregation (Jamah) ). He, himself prayed these Nawafil prayed indivually.

This practise continued during the period of Abu Bakr. But during the time of Umar, it changed. He once entered the mosque and saw people praying Nawafil indiviually. Seeing this he said, no, and started fabricating that he saw the Prophet (pbuh) praying in Jamah. So all of them started praying in Jamah and named them Taraweeh. Literally speaking, it was Bida'a.

So this practice continured during Ithman's rule. But during Imam Ali's (as) rule, he forbade the people to pray the Taraweeh prayers. The people started protesting that Imam Ali(as) is trying to remove a religious practice, its Sunnat-ul-Umar.

BUT WHAT ABOUT SUNNAT-UL-MUHAMMAD (pbuh) ? Is it supposed to be forgotten ofr the sake of Sunnat-ul-Umar, if there is even such a thing called Sunnat-ul-Umar?

so we don't have Taraweeh in Shia neither something called Qiyam ul layl but we have pray of night which is very recommended. 

• Veteran Member

Salam,

Ramadhan is blessed month.  Sunnis and Shias should perform ibadat (prayers and others) as much as we can based on individual capacity.  We can read duas and listen to lectures and pray the obligatory prayer in congregation.  The extra prayers (mustahab) are for us individually to be with Allah swt during nights of Ramadhan.   Do it when no one sees us!  and better still, no one knows about it. 

Edited by layman

• Veteran Member
5 hours ago, sunnilove2hussain said:

So on laylat ul qadr nights,its the same salat ul layl prayer? i.e. 8+2+1?

No brother, laylat-ul-qadar has different prayers and supplications

• Advanced Member

Asalam o Alaykom 

Since I'm on my phone, I won't be able to keep my post organized. Anyways, let's look at the below narrations.

When the Messenger of Allah (saww) would pray `Isha, he would depart to his home, then he would go out in the end of the night to the mosque and stand and pray [voluntary prayers].

So, he went out in the first night of the month of Ramadan to pray as he would pray. The people formed a row behind him, so he fled from them to his house and left them. They did that for three nights.

So he (saww) got up in the third night on his pulpit and praised Allah and commended Him, then he said:

"O people! Performing voluntary prayers at night in the month of Ramadan in congregation (jama`a) is an innovation (bid`a), and the prayer of the forenoon (salat ad-duha) is an innovation. Do not convene at night in the month of Ramadan for the Night Prayer, and do not pray the prayer of the forenoon, for that is a sin. Surely, every innovation is a deviation, and the path of every deviation is to the Fire." Then he got down while he was saying, "A little in a sunna is better than a lot in an innovation."

Source: Wasa'il ash-Shi'a

Abdur Rahman bin 'Abdul Qari said,"I went out in the company of 'Umar bin Al-Khattab one night in Ramadan to the mosque and found the people praying in different groups. A man praying alone or a man praying with a little group behind him. So, 'Umar said, 'In my opinion I would better collect these (people) under the leadership of one Qari (Reciter) (i.e. let them pray in congregation!)'. So, he made up his mind to congregate them behind Ubai bin Ka'b. Then on another night I went again in his company and the people were praying behind their reciter. On that, 'Umar remarked, 'What an excellent Bid'a (i.e. innovation in religion) this is."

Source: Sahih Bukhari 

Since the Prophet (saww) made it clear that Taraweeh is not to be prayed, Shia don't do so. The Sunnis only do it because they like the innovation introduced by Umar. (Not a sarcasm)

Salat al Layl refers to Tahajjud. Both, Shia and Sunni pray these voluntary prayers, if they wish to.

Qiyam al Layl means to stand in prayer. It refers to voluntary prayers that are not fixed in number like the number of Rakaa'h in Tahajjud. Below can be taken as an example for Qiyam al Layl. 

A man wrote to Imam Hasan al-`Askari [a], speaking of a man who said that the Messenger of Allah (saww) did not increase his prayers (salat) in the month of Ramadan.

The Imam replied, "He lied, may Allah rip his mouth. In [the first] twenty nights of the month of Ramadan, the Messenger of Allah (saww) would pray twenty rak`a in each night. In the night of the twenty-first and the night of the twenty-third, he would pray one hundred rak`a. And, in the last ten nights, he would pray thirty rak`a each night."

Source: `Iqab al-A`mal

Edited by Shian e Ali
Ugh! Phone complexities