Rate this topic

2 hours ago, UltraVires said:

God wants us to do the best we can in this life right? Why are muslims not powerful in this world? There's a reason! You want to portray islam the right way? Become an influence, be there. Don't stay home and pray all day and night. Useless! Be out there and make a point. Show yourself. 

Muslims are not powerful because majority have abandoned Islam, except for a few.  Majority follow the religion due to cultural tendency and NOT due to the essence of Islam.

Islam became powerful in the past due to "struggle" of previous great and good Muslims .  From past Prophets and those people that follow them, they showed significant struggle.

Islam advocates the followers to first show struggle against our own self.  Let the rules of Allah swt control the self, then HE will make us understand the "real" purpose for every rules that we follow.  It is not our own interpretation, it will be is His explanation.  Before we reach to that true explanation, we will have to show struggle, be patient and show reliance on HIM.  Once HE shows the truth behind wearing a scarf (hijab), then the woman will observe it sincerely and stubbornly for herself. Because it is easy to say but not easy to get, it is a big struggle!

You are free to choose the direction to your struggle in this world.  You cannot change the minds of people who believe in wearing hijab is a symbol of submission to Allah swt and protection against the misuse of "charms that women have" in the society by irresponsible people (so called modern and civilized people).  Those who wear hijab don't want their body to be objects of public interest.

Edited by layman

3 hours ago, UltraVires said:

God wants us to do the best we can in this life right? Why are muslims not powerful in this world? There's a reason! You want to portray islam the right way? Become an influence, be there. Don't stay home and pray all day and night. Useless! Be out there and make a point. Show yourself. 

Stop wasting your time our time as well as yours. Now you know this is a sin but you have already made your mind. so whats a point of discussing this. you are just making excuses about hijab. if you dont want to wear it. its your choice. 

4 hours ago, UltraVires said:

Oh it's mandatory? So now you're saying that every woman without it is a sinner? No. The truth and the reality is we all have our struggles and mine is with this headscarf. 

Sister, Please watch this short video to answer your question. 

Just because most people believe or do something doesn't mean it's correct, right, or good. 

Before, 1860 or so, in the US, most people believed women didn't have souls and they were the property of their husbands. 

Before 1865, Slavery was legal and widely practiced in the US. 

Before the 1950s, most people believed smoking cigarettes had no negative affects on health. 

I once was offered a job as an engineer partly because of my hijab. I also have been rejected by employers, sometimes blatantly because of the hijab.  

Years ago when I first converted, I started wearing hijab because I had a friend whose daughter thought that a woman can either have a professional job or wear hijab, not both. I wanted to show her that we can do both. 

@UltraVires

All so eager to list references to hadeth and Quran on why you are in the wrong. 

I don't think Hijab in its traditional form is for everyone and every society. I do not cover my hair but I do wear hijab in the sense that I veil myself from the lust of man in my presence, demeanor, and self respect, which is enough for social life in the west. When I go to the mosque and in some parts of the Muslim world I do cover with the head scarf only in respond to cultural norm, as I would in any culture. Its safer and better to avoid unwanted attention in those places. People can be obnoxious. Now when I am in a place where there are animals of men I wear my largest clothing and speak in a very rough tone. To repel the perverts. This is for my own comfort. Again in everyday western life, if you're living in a safe area, I think traditional hijab is unnecessary. It brings more attention if anything. My opinion I am not speaking on behalf of Islam. Allahu Alam.

My mother learned to accept me give your family the opportunity to accept you. Do what makes sense to you. Be yourself.

Much love,

Salam

go read surat al nur and the prophet when he went to israa and miraj, he saw girls hooked by their hair in hell and their heads are melting, the prophet asked jibrael what is with those women, he replied that they didnt cover their hair

Edited by Ali_

On 6/24/2016 at 3:26 PM, UltraVires said:

Hello all, 

I'm a Muslim living in Montreal, QC Canada and wish to remove my headscarf as I am seeing no importance to it. I don't feel the need to be wearing it especially nowadays. There is no obligatory passage in tge Quoran mentionning its manditory place in our lives as female muslims. 

Salam,

Something you should remember is that free will is a thing in Islam. This way, we will be held accountable for the choices we make in this donya. So, do as you please, but refrain from changing the rules and way of life that has been set for us by Allah (swt). If the headscarf is a prescribed article of clothing for muslim women, then so it is. The Quran doesn't say everything explicitly. If you don't want to wear a hijab, nobody on this platform can help you. If there was a way to help, we wouldn't. However it is unfortunate that you were forced to wear it as it would have been best if you please Allah (swt) with the intention to do so yourself. 

On 6/24/2016 at 3:58 PM, UltraVires said:

Oh it's mandatory? So now you're saying that every woman without it is a sinner? No. The truth and the reality is we all have our struggles and mine is with this headscarf. 

As humans we are all sinners, in one way or another. It's true that we all have our struggles. If your post was more along the lines of "I don't like my hijab anymore, need help/motivation keeping it on" then there would have been a point in your post, and the members here would've been more understanding and provide you with some motivation. But it seems like all you've done was make a post stating your intentions to remove it... I hate to sound harsh but that's really what it looks like. So I'm not really sure what kind of responses you were expecting to get by making this post, if you aren't seeking motivation to keep it on. Just know, that the headscarf does have a place in a muslim woman's outfit, and if you choose to remove it that's simply your choice and it isn't justified by the Quran. I myself do not wear the hijab, & I'm saying this because I don't want to be a hypocrite. But, I am fully aware that it is mandatory. Why don't I wear it? This is where my imperfection comes in. I'm a sinner. But, I would never seek to claim that just because the headscarf isn't written in the Quran, it doesn't hold. I think about it a lot, but I haven't been able to bring myself to put it on for good. All of us can be better muslims in one way or another. Some muslims can improve their akhlaq, some can improve their character, some can improve their keeping up with prayer, some can improve the way they treat their parents... and some, along with myself, can improve their outer modesty. So if you wish for motivation to keep it on, you've come to a good place and the previous posts are helpful but if you just want to remove it there's not much anybody can/will do. That's on you. I really hope that you become free from this struggle.

On June 24, 2016 at 11:09 PM, Mariama said:

@UltraVires

All so eager to list references to hadeth and Quran on why you are in the wrong. 

I don't think Hijab in its traditional form is for everyone and every society. I do not cover my hair but I do wear hijab in the sense that I veil myself from the lust of man in my presence, demeanor, and self respect, which is enough for social life in the west. When I go to the mosque and in some parts of the Muslim world I do cover with the head scarf only in respond to cultural norm, as I would in any culture. Its safer and better to avoid unwanted attention in those places. People can be obnoxious. Now when I am in a place where there are animals of men I wear my largest clothing and speak in a very rough tone. To repel the perverts. This is for my own comfort. Again in everyday western life, if you're living in a safe area, I think traditional hijab is unnecessary. It brings more attention if anything. My opinion I am not speaking on behalf of Islam. Allahu Alam.

My mother learned to accept me give your family the opportunity to accept you. Do what makes sense to you. Be yourself.

Much love,

Salam

I don't really know how this works, but hopefully you'll be able to see this message! First of all thank you for your response. It's reassuring seeing that I am not the only one. 

It is very tough to be wearing it in an era that hates everything about Islam. It is even more difficult to put it on when you have no idea of its utility. Is Islam a male dominated religion? I do not want to enter another debate, but if there's one thing I have to mention is that culture and Islam are two different things. Culturally, it is unacceptable to marry a non arab(exemple) or a non- pakistani(if you're pakistani), but in Islam we are all compared by the levels of taqwa. I have reached a point in my life where I feel it does more harm than good, I feel very stupid wearing it because of my mom. I exclusively do it for her. Now, if any one of you guys would tell me that this is correct, I would tell you that this is why we have so many issues in the muslim communities. We don't think rationally, logically! I do not see the point of wearing it, yet I am forced. There you go.

5 hours ago, UltraVires said:

I don't really know how this works, but hopefully you'll be able to see this message! First of all thank you for your response. It's reassuring seeing that I am not the only one. 

It is very tough to be wearing it in an era that hates everything about Islam. It is even more difficult to put it on when you have no idea of its utility. Is Islam a male dominated religion? I do not want to enter another debate, but if there's one thing I have to mention is that culture and Islam are two different things. Culturally, it is unacceptable to marry a non arab(exemple) or a non- pakistani(if you're pakistani), but in Islam we are all compared by the levels of taqwa. I have reached a point in my life where I feel it does more harm than good, I feel very stupid wearing it because of my mom. I exclusively do it for her. Now, if any one of you guys would tell me that this is correct, I would tell you that this is why we have so many issues in the muslim communities. We don't think rationally, logically! I do not see the point of wearing it, yet I am forced. There you go.

This is a problem between you and your mother, but none of us. and it has nothing to do with "requirement set by Allah swt".  Keep it within your family. 

11 hours ago, layman said:

This is a problem between you and your mother, but none of us. and it has nothing to do with "requirement set by Allah swt".  Keep it within your family. 

Salam

Maybe By mentioning it here she wants to share her feeling with us and the least human act we can do is to hear her story and help her, not  bothering her.

Being a born a Muslim has negative points, one is you never doubt in your belief.

The Faith comes after Doubt.

If you never doubted. then it is not true faith, It is a tradition you are following..

Edited by Mahdi Mortezapour

Guest silasun

Salaam sister ultravires

Welcome to the sc family.

I think that sometimes people act in a holier than thou attitude and have the "this is haraam" end of attitude. This is quite unfortunate. As Muslims, we have to love everybody and treat everybody with love and kindness. Anybody can read the stories of how Prophets like Lot and Moses dealt with their people in the Qur'an. They loved their people and wanted the best for them.. And furthermore, how Prophet Jonah was swallowed because he left his people without fulfilling his duty of guiding them. They were guided but he did not fulfill this, and so he was swallowed but he admitted the errors of his ways. Do not let anybody ever let you think that neglecting one obligation leaves you outside of God's eternal compassion and guidance. Any Muslim who doesn't want the best for you and treats you as somebody not worthy of being listened to has nothing to do with Islam but their name. Any Muslim who doesn't listen has nothing to do with Islam (read the verse of the Qur'an where God talks about how people made fun of RasollAllah by calling him an ear, becausd he listened to people too much! ( you may see this speech by our beloved Sheikh Dr Shomali): 

There is probably something bothering you about hijab. Maybe that your family members push it on you but are themselves hypocrites (they follow this one aspect of Islam, but when it comes to backbiting, stealing, arrogance, anger...... perhaps they do it all!). Trust me, there are loads of people who have this feeling with Muslim relatives.

Or maybe it's the feeling that God has told you to do this thing but that you can see that there are better ways to serve God. So you think that by not wearing hijab you will be able to reach more people.

I would say that although this may have reasoning which is sound, we need to remember that hijab is there because it is an honour for women. Some people think hijab is just there because men have bad thoughts etc- but the question then is why do Muslim wear it in prayer? And why is it that a Muslim man can look without lust at hair of a non-Muslim but cannot do the same for a Muslim woman?

The reason is because God has honoured Muslim women and loves them so he gives them a garment if honour (as is the case with the subjects of a king- the subjects, depending on their social stature all have different garments denotinf their honour). Actually, God places obligations on people he loves the most- the Prophets were loved by God so he gave them hard obligations. Women in Islam are honoured also so God gives them this important obligation. If a parent has 2 children but loves one more than the other then they are more likely to ask for help from the one they love more!

Although Muslim women have difficulty observing this in the West, they should remember that by being open about their Islam and being flag bearers of the faith, they are serving Islam very well. When a previously xenophobic man or woman sees that a hijabi sister is treating them at the hospital or is teaching their kids at school or acts as a human rights lawyer then they will change their perceptions about Islam.

So the important thing is to be socially active as a hijabi and to exhibit perfect akhlaaq (control your anger, tongue, be an ever flowing bucket of mercy etc) and then others will change their view about Islam. But there is little worse than a hijabi who hurts the image of Islam by having bad akhlaaq (sadly there are a lot).

InshAllah this has been of some use.

Keep me in your duas

1 hour ago, silasun said:

(read the verse of the Qur'an where God talks about how people made fun of RasollAllah by calling him an ear, becausd he listened to people too much!

shouldnt even be funny but i still laughed at that

great response-- probably the best one on this thread. I apologize for earlier comments I made on this forum but the topic of Hijab is a little touchy for me since my family has faced a lot of hardship with it--- all the best to Ultravirus and her journey.

Guest silasun

Salaams 

It was actually funny when I first paid attention to this verse! Usually u make fun of someones weight, skin, race or the fact they have bad akhlaaq. Every Muslims slogan ought to be that my beloved prophets nickname was an ear!!