Salam,

Is there anyone here who completed their undergrad in science or is doing it? What major exactly? What are you doing with your degree in science or what do you plan on doing with it? Are you doing a masters/phD now? I would love to know. I'm really grateful to have the privilege of getting an education, but I'm feeling really stuck and a little bit hopeless tbh. There's too many options as to what you can do, but everything is just so competitive and demanding!! Also, everyone talks about going into med/pharm/dent/optometry etc after their undergrad... but is there ANYONE who went into industry? Like work in a lab or something? If so how's it like? I don't want to graduate and still be deciding on what to do ._. 

I did my BS in Biochemistry. I am really bad at doing interviews but there are plenty of openings in labs. I was always able to get a job. This year, I have been trying for few months but I cannot get a job. I am not sure if this is because 1) there is real discrimination against Muslims for first time or 2) after few years you are expected to start working in managerial positions. I get interviews easily but I don't get any offer after interview. I know that now employers are looking for people with a lot of knowledge and good social skills even for entry level jobs in labs. Many employers are now hiring through reference and there are not many openings posted online. You can do the medical/ pharmacy option but they are probably even more competitive because pay is higher. Plus you will end up with loan. 

There are two year courses at community colleges like medical technologist, lab technician. Their pay is same and they have more openings so it's probably easier to get a job in those fields. If you can do one of those certificates along with bachelors degree, it will be great for your career. I don't know if getting a Masters will be good because I have seen people with high school degrees working in labs ( if they have good technical skills).

Edited by rkazmi33

@rkazmi33 Thanks for your answer,  Inshallah I pray that you land a job very soon. Must be tough, but just always remember that Allah swt doesn't put anyones hard work to waste. I was in biochem, but switched to biopharmaceutical sci because I just can't handle all that memorization >.< and since I don't have a string of A's, I feel like giving up the professional side & going into research/industry... not that marks are irrelevant there, but I live in Canada & from what I know professional school is just too competitive. If you don't mind me asking, how much emphasis did employers put on marks? 

And I've heard of those 2 year college programs, they look so good I would definitely admit myself in one of those but my parents are a little bit.. how do I say it, they prefer university over college for some reason even though college is a better option if you want a job. 

Edited by MaryamAfghan

Thank you for your prayers. Employers don't put much emphasis on marks. They don't even ask about the GPA. I know that in past, social skills were only important for some jobs. But now , since every company insists that 'we are like a family'. There's a lot of conflict and fighting going on and employers prefer people who can deal with all that and don't bother their managers about small problems. If you have a lot of knowledge, then employers will keep you but I have seen many smart people suffering because they lack social skills. Employers care a lot about knowledge. They have regular meetings and they keep track of how many ideas you give about innovating new products or solving problems. 

I guess your parents want you to do masters or PhD? It's probably free in canada, and you should definitely do it. In US, it costs a lot of money. Many people end up with loan and it doesn't even help them get a job. The amount of money you need to do masters, you can complete at least two health certificates for the same money and there are so many job openings in health. There are so many jobs which listed bachelor's degree as requirement few years ago but now they only require high school degree. In health, certificate is requirement for every field. Good luck! May Allah give you success in the field you choose. 

Edited by rkazmi33

On 6/26/2016 at 0:53 AM, rkazmi33 said:

Thank you for your prayers. Employers don't put much emphasis on marks. They don't even ask about the GPA. I know that in past, social skills were only important for some jobs. But now , since every company insists that 'we are like a family'. There's a lot of conflict and fighting going on and employers prefer people who can deal with all that and don't bother their managers about small problems. If you have a lot of knowledge, then employers will keep you but I have seen many smart people suffering because they lack social skills. Employers care a lot about knowledge. They have regular meetings and they keep track of how many ideas you give about innovating new products or solving problems. 

I guess your parents want you to do masters or PhD? It's probably free in canada, and you should definitely do it. In US, it costs a lot of money. Many people end up with loan and it doesn't even help them get a job. The amount of money you need to do masters, you can complete at least two health certificates for the same money and there are so many job openings in health. There are so many jobs which listed bachelor's degree as requirement few years ago but now they only require high school degree. In health, certificate is requirement for every field. Good luck! May Allah give you success in the field you choose. 

This is some useful information!! I'll keep this in mind when making a final decision about my future. And my parents would prefer that I go to a professional school, but I just don't think I'll get in. Either way, I do enjoy the academic side, so I would love to do masters/phd, and then have a job where I would actually apply all the stuff I learned in school. I have no idea how the fees are like for doing your masters/phd here (I should probably find that put one day) but we do have financial assistance. Thank you so much for your help, and amin :~) may Allah swt keep us both successful :)