Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

should Muslim scholars have to study science ?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam,

I'm not entirely sure about this but I think you can choose a science (e.g. astrophysics) in the process of becoming a marja.

History is vital and most scholars and sheikhs would have them, and if not then they would at least be familiar with Early Islamic history.  But I guess it depends on what you want to focus on.

In answer to your question (if I'm understanding it correctly), I think History is a must, but Science should be optional as it is less relevant to your main discipline, which is religious study.

• Veteran Member
45 minutes ago, sakura1994 said:

do you think marjia , sheikh , imam , scholars have to have degree in modern science and history along with their religious study ?

The marajae definitely do.

• Advanced Member
47 minutes ago, Vestige said:

Salam,

I'm not entirely sure about this but I think you can choose a science (e.g. astrophysics) in the process of becoming a marja.

History is vital and most scholars and sheikhs would have them, and if not then they would at least be familiar with Early Islamic history.  But I guess it depends on what you want to focus on.

In answer to your question (if I'm understanding it correctly), I think History is a must, but Science should be optional as it is less relevant to your main discipline, which is religious study.

I mean the world history not the islamic history , also by science I mean the evolution , Darwinism , the big bang etc .

• Veteran Member
5 minutes ago, sakura1994 said:

they study about evolution and Darwinism ?

How can they refute it if they dont study it?

I believe both Sistani and Khomeini had written books on scientific topics such as AstroPhysics and Philosophy, etc.

• Moderators

We live in a complex and compartmentalized world. It's not possible for a person to be expert at everything important. If they study science, history, secular law, that's great, but it's not for everyone. They should recognize what they know and what they don't know and consult experts in the areas where they lack expertise. That's what the Quran says to do - take guidance from those with knowledge. 

Edited by notme
Typo. Always a typo.
  • Advanced Member
6 minutes ago, sakura1994 said:

I mean the world history not the islamic history 

Yeah, World History as well. It's less important than Islamic History though. Scholars such as Ali Abbas Razawi, for example, may be well acquainted with the history of Greece (4th and 3rd centuries), but only because it links in with the rise of Hellenistic philosophy --- another key discipline that is pertinent when studying the development of Islamic civilisation during the Golden Age. Otherwise it's not really relevant.

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, sakura1994 said:

do you think marjia , sheikh , imam , scholars have to have degree in modern science and history along with their religious study ?

In regards to science, as far as I am aware, they do not.  If someone says that they do, just ask them to provide a source for their claim.

• Advanced Member

I dont think marja really have the time to learn science in, in depth ways. Take an example of any Marja in Iraq right now.  Imagine all the stuff going on around them in Iraq, I cant imagine they would wake up in the morning and turn to their brain trust, pick up their printout of current priorities and say  "ok guys, lets talk about binary star systems".  It just doesnt make sense.

And this is common elsewhere as well.  Many politicians here in the US, they have a million and one things to look over.  Being the person to look into the nitty gritty details of science, isnt really something they can do, and its not really their responsibility either. Theyre religious scholars, not scientific scholars.

Edited by iCambrian
  • Veteran Member
22 minutes ago, iCambrian said:

In regards to science, as far as I am aware, they do not.  If someone says that they do, just ask them to provide a source for their claim.

i think I read somewhere Sistani is involved with Astronomy. He also runs these institutes:

Astronomical Research Center

Medical Research Center

Also, i cant find the source now but if I remember correctly, Khomeini has a thesis documentation on some aspect of either molecular biology or micro-biology. I will cite the source if I find it.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, iCambrian said:

I dont think marja really have the time to learn science in, in depth ways. Take an example of any Marja in Iraq right now.  Imagine all the stuff going on around them in Iraq, I cant imagine they would wake up in the morning and turn to their brain trust,yy pick up their printout of current priorities and say  "ok guys, lets talk about binary star systems".  It just doesnt make sense.

And this is common elsewhere as well.  Many politicians here in the US, they have a million and one things to look over.  Being the person to look into the nitty gritty details of science, isnt really something they can do, and its not really their responsibility either. Theyre religious scholars, not scientific scholars.

many born muslims are turning to atheism cuz religion and modern scince have many contradiction , and the common born muslim inherent their religion so don't know much about it , I think for muslim scholars/marjia to learn about modern science is must so they can reach the young muslims and prevent them from leaving islam and keep them on right path , don't you agree ! .. ah and actually most arab atheist I come cross on internet were Iraqis !

• Basic Members
21 hours ago, shiaman14 said:

How can they refute it if they dont study it?

I believe both Sistani and Khomeini had written books on scientific topics such as AstroPhysics and Philosophy, etc.

you believe or the really have? if yes then please do tell books names :) i love astrophysics :)

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, shiaman14 said:

i think I read somewhere Sistani is involved with Astronomy. He also runs these institutes:

Astronomical Research Center

Medical Research Center

Also, i cant find the source now but if I remember correctly, Khomeini has a thesis documentation on some aspect of either molecular biology or micro-biology. I will cite the source if I find it.

People can invest in science, it doesnt mean they are scientists.

• Unregistered
14 hours ago, sakura1994 said:

many born muslims are turning to atheism cuz religion and modern scince have many contradiction , and the common born muslim inherent their religion so don't know much about it , I think for muslim scholars/marjia to learn about modern science is must so they can reach the young muslims and prevent them from leaving islam and keep them on right path , don't you agree ! .. ah and actually most arab atheist I come cross on internet were Iraqis !

Don’t misunderstand. Science(natural/social/political etc..) These are means for us. We should become as good in these disciplines as we possibly can, for our earthly benefit.

As a Layman, IMHO, We are falling deeper and deeper in idol worshiping. (Like Iblis). People in Jahilia, worshiped man made idols) , because they thought their idols benefited them, means to their end.

Religion becomes less important, as we progress in Science(New Medicine, New Technology to communicate, predict physical events, conquering new frontiers in space), all this fuels our hollow Pride, (But we will never eradicate Disease(as new and potent strains will develop, we will be always behind the curve), We can traverse the 100 Billion objects/stars/bodies in our Galaxy?milky way, and figure the chemical composition of all in this milky way, and all physical laws governing it. But Compared to the entire(known universe) this is an insignificant event. But it will distract us.

At the end, we all internally realize that ultimately, we will never ever be able to shake our insignificance. There is an Almighty Power(whatever you want to call it).

What we deem as advancements, distracts us from the fact that we are social. If its is not properly understood, that our new Idol(Science), or whatever is the new Idol of that age, can’t answer basic question as to where we came from, why we are here, and what are we supposed to do here, and where we are going. And Science is Agnostic-It can’t tell you if the progress in Nuclear science should be used for the benefit or destruction of humanity. Science needs a Guide./Science is itself depended. Like our physical body on its own can’t distinguish between when a  hand is raised, it is raised to help or hurt someone. It needs a guide(Intellect/mind).

Science is a tool, not the end. In short, with advancements, we feel empowered and needless of a higher power. But it's not true.

People who do not have insight, will regard science, material achievement as their new idols which benefit them. In some cases, formal secular knowledge deconstructs a human mind, to become dumb, to Higher realities. All Humans, have this realization of insignificance, and what we see from our naked eye around us and Science discoveries in outer space reinforces this fact. So, no one is oblivious to this fact.

Problem, comes in when we are in pursuit of material and animal comforts/gain/lifestyle, we tend to argue against the reality which is embedded in our subconscious mind. We do not want to abide by the rules. It's easy to find and excuse that there is no God. Call it a God of gaps. While we ourselves have created idols of necessity.

So, having scientific knowledge, beyond that fact that if the air/water chemical composition changes,

Sun does not rise we are doomed.As we are powerless/depended entities. Not sure, having knowledge of micro biology or the innermost working of the earth,or atom/space will help people from turning away from the Absolute Truth.

[Above is a rough/hasty write up, on your question]

["

Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq, upon whom be peace, said in answer to Mufaddal in the Risalah-yi Ahlija: "I swear by my own soul that God has not failed to make Himself known to the ignorant, for they see clear proofs and decisive indications of the Creator in His creation and behold wondrous phenomena in the kingdom of the heavens and on earth that point to their Creator.

"The ignorant are those who have opened the gates of sin before them and followed the path of indulgence in passion and lust. The desires of their souls have gained dominance over their hearts, and because of their oppression of their own selves, Satan has gained dominance over them. God has sealed the hearts of the transgressors.”2]

https://www.al-islam.org/god-and-his-attributes-sayyid-mujtaba-musawi-lari/lesson-8-pseudo-scientific-demagoguery

• Veteran Member
14 hours ago, Ali Sherazi said:

you believe or the really have? if yes then please do tell books names :) i love astrophysics :)

Al-Khoei wrote on various topics, ranging from Islamic jurisprudence to mathematics and astronomy and was a prolific writer in these disciplines.  (Link to article)

Khomeini -  KASHFUL-ASRA (Politial & Social Science, Philosophy):  This book which is a political, religious and social work was written in 1364 ahl=1323 ahs=1944 that is, two years after removal of Reza Khan from the throne. In this book the Imam has given answers to the doubts and anti-Religion, anti-clergy propaganda contained in the pamphlet "Asrar-e Hezar Sale" (=Secrets of a thousand years) written by a Wahhabi and by adducing to historic facts, while posing and criticizing the opinions of ancient Greek philosophers, those of Islamic philosophers and of the contemporary philosophers of the West, has emphasized the rightfulness of the Shiism and the role of the clergy and the guardianship of the jurisconsult (Walayat-e-Faqih) during the Occultation period. The work also reveals, in detail, the laic, anti-nationalistic policies of Reza Khan and his co-thinkers in Islamic countries (of that time).

As I find more, I will create a topic and post them there.

• Moderators
15 hours ago, sakura1994 said:

many born muslims are turning to atheism cuz religion and modern scince have many contradiction 

I don't know about this. One of the things that attracted me to Islam was the lack of contradiction between the religion and modern science. I suspect many who turn to atheism do because of lack of religious understanding.