Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Shias fasting in sunni government

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member

Salam,

I had a question regarding shias who live under a sunni/wahhabi government. I have some relatives who are in Afghanistan. They usually start fasting the day the government announces when is Ramadan, which the Afghan government follows the fatwas of Saudi-occupied Arabia.

Obviously, most shias follow their marja and differ in when they start and end Ramadan. 

I wanted to know whether if shias follow the sunni government in regards to what day they start fasting, are their fasts void?

 

Thanks.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

:ws:

Can't a shia pretend to fast the day everyone else is fasting? You'd only need to take a sip of water before you head out.

And in their intention properly fast the day Ramadhan starts?

There will be people who give better answers, such as the brother below who has said to fast with the niyyah of Shaaban.

If you didn't want to fast, i genuinely don't see how anybody could know, seeing as you could eat at home before you left to head to the outside world.

Edited by Tawheed313
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
58 minutes ago, Tawheed313 said:

:ws:

Can't a shia pretend to fast the day everyone else is fasting? You'd only need to take a sip of water before you head out.

And in their intention properly fast the day Ramadhan starts?

There will be people who give better answers, such as the brother below who has said to fast with the niyyah of Shaaban.

If you didn't want to fast, i genuinely don't see how anybody could know, seeing as you could eat at home before you left to head to the outside world.

Thank you for you reply.

Yes, I suppose they should pretend. I think it is a matter of not realising that one should always stick to the fatwas of scholars who base their teachings from the Ahlul bayt(as).

BTW, is Ramadan tomorrow for shias living in London? Because I haven't seen any announcement from Ayt Sistani's webiste yet.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, The Light said:

Salam,

I had a question regarding shias who live under a sunni/wahhabi government. I have some relatives who are in Afghanistan. They usually start fasting the day the government announces when is Ramadan, which the Afghan government follows the fatwas of Saudi-occupied Arabia.

Obviously, most shias follow their marja and differ in when they start and end Ramadan. 

I wanted to know whether if shias follow the sunni government in regards to what day they start fasting, are their fasts void?

 

Thanks.

 

 

Salam Alaykom dear bro.

Who live in Sunni countries must follow the sunni government in that country and pretend the fasting of Ramadan al-karim, because of Taqiyah.

But S\he just pretend and in reality he follow the Fatwa of Shia Ulama and do fasting according to their Fatwa.

Notice: S\he can intent Mostahab fasting, like fasting of Shaa'ban. However in the end of Ramadan al-karim S\he should observe the Fasting of Eyd al-Fitr. because fasting in this day is forbidden and Haram.

Alhamdulellah.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, The Light said:

Salam,

I had a question regarding shias who live under a sunni/wahhabi government. I have some relatives who are in Afghanistan. They usually start fasting the day the government announces when is Ramadan, which the Afghan government follows the fatwas of Saudi-occupied Arabia.

Obviously, most shias follow their marja and differ in when they start and end Ramadan. 

I wanted to know whether if shias follow the sunni government in regards to what day they start fasting, are their fasts void?

 

Thanks.

 

 

Fasts would never be void unless on haram days(Fitr Eid, Ashura day) and in case of having sickness which fasting will worsen them.

It doesn't matter really when Ramadan starts, and there are many who start fasting 2 or 3 days before Ramadan actually starts, It is also advised to fast the last three days of Shaban by Imam Sadiq(as):

لإمام الصادق علیه‌السلام: « مَن صامَ ثَلاثَةَ أیّامٍ مِن آخِرِ شَعبانَ و وَصَلَها بِشَهرِ رَمَضانَ، کَتَبَ الله‌ُ لَهُ صَومَ شَهرَینِ مُتَتابِعَینِ» 

Imam Sadiq(as): "Everyone who fast the last three days of Sha'ban and connect it to Ramadan, Allah will record him the sawab of two consecutive months."

What matters is the end of Ramadan, which is haram to fast on Fitr Eid, and based on what Ayatollah Makarem(ha)'s site say Shias have to obey their Marjas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
3 hours ago, The Light said:

Salam,

I had a question regarding shias who live under a sunni/wahhabi government. I have some relatives who are in Afghanistan. They usually start fasting the day the government announces when is Ramadan, which the Afghan government follows the fatwas of Saudi-occupied Arabia.

Obviously, most shias follow their marja and differ in when they start and end Ramadan. 

I wanted to know whether if shias follow the sunni government in regards to what day they start fasting, are their fasts void?

 

Thanks.

 

 

 

3 hours ago, Tawheed313 said:

You'd only need to take a sip of water before you head out.

You don't even need that if you do not want to fast. Not eating is necessary for fasting, but eating is not necessary for not fasting! Get it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Hidaren said:

Fasts would never be void unless on haram days(Fitr Eid, Ashura day) and in case of having sickness which fasting will worsen them.

It doesn't matter really when Ramadan starts, and there are many who start fasting 2 or 3 days before Ramadan actually starts, It is also advised to fast the last three days of Shaban by Imam Sadiq(as):

لإمام الصادق علیه‌السلام: « مَن صامَ ثَلاثَةَ أیّامٍ مِن آخِرِ شَعبانَ و وَصَلَها بِشَهرِ رَمَضانَ، کَتَبَ الله‌ُ لَهُ صَومَ شَهرَینِ مُتَتابِعَینِ» 

Imam Sadiq(as): "Everyone who fast the last three days of Sha'ban and connect it to Ramadan, Allah will record him the sawab of two consecutive months."

What matters is the end of Ramadan, which is haram to fast on Fitr Eid, and based on what Ayatollah Makarem(ha)'s site say Shias have to obey their Marjas.

Salam Alaykom my dear bro.

I want to correct on mistake in your quote:

Fasting is forbidden (haram) in Eyd al-Fitr and Eyd al-azh'a (ghorban). But fasting in the day of Ashoora is nat haram, rather it is Makrooh.

With the best respect.

Alhamdulellah

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...